Unusual apocalypse scenarios?

Other urls found in this thread:

livescience.com/27218-higgs-boson-universe-future.html
youtu.be/v3hd3AI2CAA
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Is_the_Sun
youtube.com/watch?v=ijFm6DxNVyI
tgchan.org/wiki/Bite_Quest
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

A pandemic that spreads via vocal communication between at least two individuals.

The vocal cord parasites!
Or Pontypool, a great movie.

I remember hearing second-hand about some sci-fi novel where folk had to evacuate their planet ASAP because some meteor or trader or something accidentally introduced a fungus that grew at exponential rates. The book described a wall of moss creeping over the highway at like, a foot a minute.

the earth begins shrinking

Ennui

Not a hundred percent sure what would cause it, but I had a post-apocalyptic setting where the apocalypse was of some kinda psychic phenomenon that opened up the material world to the fears of the people. The most terrifying imagery from the world zeitgeist made flesh, or an approximation of flesh. Nightmares made real roaming the earth.

Someone pushes the Small Blue Button instead of that other, more exciting one.

Giant planet approaches earth, very slowing passing by, and people and cities fall upwards towards it.

Civilization discovers effectively free energy source, collapses under weight of own hedonism. (Literally.)

Psychic BDSM fetishists amplify each other's synchronized orgasms until they reach critical mass, spilling over into ordinary humanity and fucking the Earth to death.

They wake up with a migraine.

All the water and land become inverted.

Flipped up, turned upside down you might say.

Plastic suddenly vanishes, instantly, everywhere.

Humanity invents working male enhancement pills; within a week 90% of adult men have made themselves physically incapable of breeding.

Care to drop a link to whatever it is or name the book?

In one depressing story a read years ago, there was scientist, who invented time freezing machine... and turned it on, and froze time in whole universe... forever.

Gray Ooze. Otherwise known as self-replicating nanobots that eat almost everything.

So the Fall of the Eldar.

and is replaced by cheese

Everyone in the world suddenly develops a severe gluten allergy that kills 50% of the population before they realize it. Much of the rest starves as basic grains become indigestible to them, and the diet changes to mostly one of bugs and green plants to compensate.

So, Firefly Serenity Ending?

I'd counter this with expanding Earth.
Mountain ranges grow larger, shores farther, cities stand divided by vast distances.
Every journey, between even smallest towns is like travelling across russia, lenghtwise.

That sounds pretty cool

Go away Junji. I remember that shit.

Everyone becomes a politician, lawyer or businessman, and the lack of useful human beings leads to mass starvation.

Higgs boson apocalypse.
livescience.com/27218-higgs-boson-universe-future.html

>Grey Goo scenario
>Unusual

I mean it's one of those apocalypses that could be tuned to wipe out all traces of human life and leave the animal life on the planet completely unharmed.

Everyone starts their own business as they were told to by politicians so many times. There's no workforce, they try to hire each other, but ultimately they all die when it turns out capital won't reap the harvest.

>So, Firefly Serenity Ending?
God, i rewatched this the other day and only just realised how dark that 'reveal' scene is where they find the hologram explaining the early Reavers.

Woman is so aware of how fucked up getting caught is she tried shooting herself, wasn't fast enough, so must have been just relentlessly raped and tortured and eaten to death off-screen.

Not unusual, but I read about one where ~95% of humanity just disappears one day without explanation, while the remaining 5% suddenly become able to use magic/develop powers.

And? It's still not unusual.
There are many, many stories based on it. The term, Grey Goo Scenario is well known. It's been done. It's old hat for apocalypse scenarios.

We fuck up real bad with some dimensional gateway research, and instead of finding hell, we find heaven. God is pissed and wipes the slate clean, reducing all of humanity to 10% of its original number. Angels are garrisoned on earth to maintain absolute order.

One random word in the English language is changed to power word kill, except it kills everyone who can hear it even deaf people.

Someone puts Earth in a Bag of Holding.

Some crazy rich scientist tries to create a more efficient oxygen extractor. Succeeds. Extracts anti-oxygen from parallel dimensions. Boom.

youtu.be/v3hd3AI2CAA

I'm plotting out a change that occurs around the 14th era in my world (running a 13th era campaign currently) where two gods/magic users/??? animate the oceans and mountains of my world and go to war, so a majority of the land is going to be broken up and distorted. Im planning to thin out most settlements in the land too, due to quakes and the like.

>There are many, many stories based on it.
Would you please list a few? I'd like to read one. Just the premise is like a horror movie. Something unstoppable, absolutely lethal, and slow spreading reaches out across the world over the course of like a year.

Also, I was thinking about this the other day, you know the way Pax turns 0.1% of people into Reavers? And you know the way Reavers occasionally turn people into more Reavers, like that guy in that early episode?
What if it's not just torture driving them mad, what if Reaver ships have Pax in the air?

Hell, maybe Reavers can tell when someone has the predisposition to react violently to Pax, so they'll intentionally expose them to it.
On top of the regular torture I'd guess.

It'd be kinda scary if you were exploring a Reaver ship without a vacc suit

I don't remember the title. It was a long time ago, and I didn't even read the book, a friend did.

I think there was an incident where scientists had to calm down prince Charles when he read one of such book. I think it might be from Dan Brown.

Someone bridges the gap between fiction and reality real to get to his waifu, make it classy if you must by mirroring the greek myth about that guy and his waifu. Unfortunately someone with a power level far higher than reality shows up and starts tearing the planet apart for who knows what reason.

A current game I'm running takes place in a magical wasteland after 1% of the population got access to magical powers and became wizards. This 1% immediately magically fucked the world so violently that it broke reality and left the survivors trapped in a twisted nonsense world littered with the remnants of magical war and experimentation. Currently you can only become a wizard by murdering another wizard and stealing their powers highlander style, but doing so causes greater and greater corruption and mutation to you. And using magic drains your mind stat, driving you insane if you use it too much.

What this means is that wizards are all basically insane reality warping mutants and normal humans hate them with a passion. Currently, my players are in a forested landscape made of metal where spears sprout from the ground, hunting down some bandits that are harassing a settlement that lives in the rafters of a 300 story tall cathedral.

The earth is totally fine. It's just that space travel for humans is deemed impossible and humanity dies alone on our destroyed planet.

World War 2 didn't happen. Unchecked Judaism results in a shekel collecting singularity, which leads directly into a goypocalypse.

Superman exists. Atomizes surface of the earth attempting to fly at the speed of light in the atmosphere.

Those are some fancy fucking nanobots you're envisioning. They have DNA analysers on board or what?

It's science fiction. I don't need to explain shit.

These fuckers show up and try to jack the planet.

I like the way you think, user. Scifi Nazis create grey ooze that only eats "undesirables".

Sounds like the gaming industry.

The planet hatches.

Planets are eggs laid by eldritch abominations in orbit around stars to keep them warm. Apparently 4.543 billion years is the expected incubation period.

Time travellers go back in time, fuck up and die. Moments later the world is invaded by humans from the past using the time machine.

Absolute unloveable rod is activated. Immediately this thirty pound rod slams into the crust of the earth at roughly ~515,000 mph due to the speed of the Milky Way Galaxy arm moving.

We all realise the pointlessness of everything, and just waste away over the course of a few generation.

How about humanity time traveling back 10,000 years every time they reach a tipping point in earth's climate.

Is the expansion constant? What is made in the new space? Like... is the new place raw rock and soil? Is it copy pasted pen space?

Memetic infection spread through hating an infected individual. Infected individuals turn unreasonably aggressive over the course of days until they're utterly savage and merciless.

>tfw you no longer have to share a planet with Australia

Vast tracts of wilderness fill in the gaps. Animals and some plants grow to much larger their normal size. Humans are like mice crossing a wheatfield.

Dark is the Sun, by Philip Jose Farmer. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Is_the_Sun

And the grand reveal would be that the Pax doesn't do anything much but act as a depressant.

That really is the result of people reaching the edge of space and going wibbledy over it. Most people aren't bothered "Just looks like more space" but 0.1% of the population can't cope with it and causes them to revert to more primal programing.

Everyone assumed it was the pax creating monsters. Turns out monsters were in our head all along and we brought them to the stars.

Maybe it's old cave man instincts that just can cope. Maybe its something more sinister. Who the fuck knows.

Planet gets pulled into the gravity of a brown dwarf star as it glides though, catching the planet in a tidal lock.

I had a nightmare once where aliens invaded and abducted humans to use as the fuel source for their ships. People were sucked up into holding pods and slowly liquefied. I guess aliens harvesting humans like a crop isn't all that unusual but it was certainly terrifying.

So 2016?

I am so fucking stealing the shit out of this.

Skullface, is that you?

>Expanding Earth

Missile Gap by Charles Stross

Iron Sunrise had a device that put a portion of a Stars core into a pocket universe were it underwent millions of years of fusion in an instinct and then dumped the resulting solid iron core back into the star causing it to supernova.

>Angels are garrisoned on earth to maintain absolute order.
With the aid of robots with faces?

My head cannon is that there is one sociopath amoung them. A guy who they don't notice. He walks the ships and judges them like they are primative and unworthy of being anything but a sheath for his knife in the begining. After he notices they only react to him if he makes enough noise he stays silent. He doesn't stalk, he watches and takes mental notes like a zoologist. They never hassle him and he believes they cant see him. Reavers don't even notice when he gets in cramped spaces with them. He became bored of killing them, and so he goes aboard a raiding vessel, not to kill, but to enlighten. He's the reason one is rarely found alive and turned to madness. Reavers speak of him like a ghost story. A reaver santa to some that judges them silently, and remains unseen expect for when he brings in a new member. To others maybe he is a deity that moves unseen through their boat, only approaching those worthy.

Living things start aging in reverse. Life on planet earth wiped out within 80,000 years.

Core extraction at 70%

Vacuum Decay
youtube.com/watch?v=ijFm6DxNVyI

Greenfly

texhnolyze had an interesting one.

Humanity simply chooses to die, or "evolve" into something that is totally inhuman, or even in-biological.

Blood Music by Greg Bear.
Scary as hell. Awesome ending.

Reverse Elf-Rape on an industrial scale.

This was a Stephen King novel

Gaypocalypse. Everything that sexually reproduces in earth suddenly becomes extremely gay and refuses to mate with the opposite sex.

An aphid? Please clarify.

The bees are all dead

>Wizard Highlander.

Fug...I may have to write a campaign based on this.

It's been done. tgchan.org/wiki/Bite_Quest

Beautifulz

The Day the Earth Stood Still stands out.

Peter Watts, is that you?

That was only a part of the movie, even though it had a great close-up animation, and it was [spoilers] rendered pointless by a worldwide EMP pulse.

Someone told the Admech there was an STC in Terra's core.

Somewhat relating to your pic.

No?

So, how to center a campaign on the issues that arise after splitting a planet on its equator, rotating one side 180 degrees, and then joining the parts together without killing all life on the planet.

Really? What was it called.

Pollution and disease increasing gradually over a century

War is a really common apocalypse scenario, but the saddest are scenarios that were slower and completely preventable.

Some sort of virus/bacteria impregnates women, but constantly. Once the baby is born, the woman will immediately become pregnant again. Women die due to the strain on their bodies. Surgeries are performed to make women sterile in order to protect them. Mankind slowly diminishes.

All the elements of the planet (periodic elements rather than classical elements) gain collective intelligences at once, and seek to destroy one another.

So like, all the hydrogen in the world becomes aware, and wants to fight all the boron in the world which becomes aware, which wants to fight all the molybdenum in the world which becomes aware, and so on and so forth.

That's less of an apocalypse and more instant annihilation of all life on the planet.
>Oxygen wants to conglomerate for an attack on nitrogen.
>Oxygen suddenly dissapears from all water, concrete, etc on the planet and turns all the water into hydrogen gas.

How about all of humanity becomes sterile. I think there was a movie about that.

>Or Pontypool, a great movie.

The first half was amazing. Kind of goes to shit once the doctor guy shows up, though.

There is SO much fucking hydrogen in the universe, and on planet earth, that it wouldn't be so much an apocalypse rather than everyone dying to death instantaneously