WIP - Painting/Converting/Sculpting General

"nonce edition"

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting guides, Uniforms & Heraldry books, Painting Videos, Visions, ebooks and White Dwarves:
mega.co.nz#F!Wl5DAbCb!TYxZG4CgX_x-NJu7JBwbZQ

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>Archive 1.1.0.7.6.3
youtube.com/watch?v=cSCOaowF2U

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VepXVggrfiE
youtu.be/wj5Ue72B1E8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Pretty much finished, what do you think?

Because of your highlighting style, your infantry look much brighter than your vehicle. Might want to either brighten up the vehicle or darken the infantry a little.

Think your paints.

>your infantry look much brighter than your vehicle

Because he didn't think his paints.

Think it already looks pretty great man, keep it up.

definitely something I fucked up - unless you meant "think" in which case I'm not sure what you mean

I like that sail a lot.

I started my Brass Scorpion today!

I plan to do lots of freehanding on the armour plates next.

I plan on keeping my christmas tree up a while longer. It's comfy.

Looks awesome so far! Are you gonna recess wash the plating?

yep absolutely, literally just doing the base colours right now. so much to do

is this sword any good? considering redoing it

A rough Wip of the ogroid from my silver tower set

Probably wont get above table standart since the lack of my skill but im kinda happy how hes coming along

C&C welcomed and apreciated

its not too bad, but does look a little messy. the blue looks uneven and I dont see any highlights. its also a crappy photo so its sort of tough to say

New to the hobby any advice on how I can improve. This is what I've done so far

is this to trigger the photography faggots?

because at this point its not even funny anymore

Finished a squad leader for my 30-man arcanite unit.

>Finished

Not until he's based he's not.

I like all the freehand - looks like you had fun with this one

One down, 29 to go. I love the models, but highlighting the gold trim is driving me insane.

Also, disregard the base, he's getting something different tomorrow.

re-posting my angry dorf
I plan on using him in my Mordheim campaign.

Were you the user posting his sorcerers over Christmas?

reminds me of kefka
i fuckin like it

Hot damn that's nice! Really clean. I agree on rebasing, not only is it not really painted to the standard of the mini, its a little too busy for such an ornate mini

I actually like that base...

Nope, my sorcerers are still in their box. I started with Magnus.

Showcase quality, how long have you been painting? Natural talent, or years of practice?

First bloodreaver, first try at NMM. Any NMM resources people particularly recommend?

>only notice grey running down the skull when the photo is on the big screen

FFS.

thin your paints
use a wet pallette
practice more

what

Supposed to be building cultists and chaos spawn, built a fate master instead.

>Natural talent
Trust me, I'm the living proof that ANYONE can learn how to paint, no matter how little talent they have.

I got into this hobby more or less 9 years ago, but became serious about painting only about 3 years ago.
And by serious I mean sitting down and watching a shit ton of tutorials on YT and looking up stuff, sticking to a limited colour pallate and then expanding it and practising my brush control.

So a piece of advice to all those who're just starting up: Find a painter that you like/admire and try to imitate their way of painting. This form of imitation eventually becomes a tool you can use on your own, without the need for guidance.

Just keep on painting, you're BOUND to improve after some time, even if it doesn's seem so obvious now.

And p.s. I'm also painting my DG army on the side. Yay we got Traitor Legions. Finally.

shit, sorry for the cancerous pic size

If I'm getting ripped on, can I have more specific critique? I'm genuinely trying to form this habit for this year and git gud.

Those are also really, really nice! I've been painting for about 4 years (first raider in thread is mine) and I feel like I've plateaued a bit. I aspire to the level you're on, though

I honesty think hes retarded, its high quality

I like what you're doing, but the transition between colors isn't subtle at all. Gotta learn that blending~

>that mint green
>that edge highlight actually done right and in stages

This pleases me greatly.

Generally, painting buddha's vids are really great for watching advanced techniques

youtube.com/watch?v=VepXVggrfiE

I watched his entire Khorgos Khul series before this, which is what made me mad enough to try NMM at all.

Even if no. 1 is a fuckup, there are 39 more of these little suckers to practice on.

thanks m8
I love your deldar too, really digging those mint edges. :D They remind me of the older edition ones, like pic related

The hardest part, I think, is figuring out just exactly WHERE the reflexes and highlights should be. It's not like a matte surface at all, and I for one just cannot seem to get the right eye for it each time I try.

Blending is hard and I'm just a noobie

Any tips?

It looks pretty good NMM for a first try, user. I think having higher contrast might really help here- going to almost compelte black and white in the extreme highlights/shadows really makes it pop .

The trick to blending is very, very thin layers and lots of patience. I mean very thin. So thin that it looks like you're painting nothing but clear liquid on the model.

Or just buy an aibrush.

youtu.be/wj5Ue72B1E8 Check out the wet blending on this, it's almost the same scenario except you have a LOT of transitions.

>homemade stamp
Do tell more.

It's a 40mm base that I packed with milliput.
I pressed the surface against some terrain with bricks on and then worked from there, pushing in where I wanted raised bricks.

40mm because:
>had it spare
>didn't want to spend forever sculpting bricks
>all the bases I'm stamping are 32mm

After it cured I sanded the top a bit flatter and gloss coated it so it won't stick to the milliput on the bases when I stamp them. Stamped my first ten yesterday and you've seen the first one painted. Rock is for adding texture to the top of the milliput before / after stamping.

too bad painting buddha is kill

Ben Komets has his own channel but you need to be on his patreon supporters to see majority of the content

and its too bad I cant find the painting buddha videos anywhere, the ones they actually had for sale and shit.

Tried a 2nd step highlight on this guys

Need some advice. This is my first time doing tank camo

did you

did you rub your camera lens with sandpaper

nah but the dots should be smaller, more of them, and with dots of other colours slightly over them too

Reposting my Greyfax because I really like how she turned out overall.

R8, h8, masterb8.

This type of camo needs to be denser (meaning the dots).

After that apply filters to tone down colors - then add scratches, chippings and streaks and your golden.

The road line makes my inner iron warrior hard.

The model itself looks okay, but I need better lighting to be able to tell you anything more.

I like that yellow on the left side. Maybe next time you should put it on the right side instead

>inner iron warrior

Iron within, iron without, iron within, iron without...

Iron goes and lies down for a while.

Looks pretty good to me, user.

Could be cleaned up a LITTLE bit better, but it looks pretty nice overall.

I especially like the skin-cloth effect. The female on the front right especially has that flayed-hide look.

Hey everyone. Working on some Grails knights, any feedback is appreciated. Trying to thin out as much as possible, but painting bright over black primer is pretty hard.

I think for some self imposed feedback, I'm going to do 1 coat black primer, and actually use a suited base coat, like space wolves grey.

Celestine coming along. Not sure about the wings though, is the red too much? Her cloth sections will be purple blended into a light blue.
Just wasn't really sure what to do with the wings, considering her armour is white.

Holy shit those wings!

current wip is this dragoon, I had some trouble in the beginning trying to figure out a decent color scheme, to go with the orange, but I just said fuckit and now its going to be ryza orange and various types of metal and silver

On a related note, does anyone know how to paint to make it look like a model is wearing latex/rubber? I want that guy in the middle to be my dragoon gimp

this looks fucking fantastic

I think you can get away with the transition because of your scheme, they frame the white armour really well. The trick will be balancing your blue-purple robes, possibly adding a blue to the sword and doves will help.

Cheers guys - yeah I'm going to add more blue where I can - I might adjust her corset to have more red tones to match the wings, since I've only used red as a spot colour for the rest of my sisters.
I was also thinking of being lazy and just airbrushing the transitions like I did for my DE/Harlies/Eldar force I spammed /wip/ with a few months ago.

some more...

I would do extreme highlights to make it look like latex. You want to transition from black to almost white. The contrast will do all the work for you

i dont really understand what you mean

This effect will be difficult to pull off. To make it look like latex, you need your highlights to be pure light reflecting off a glossy surface, not diffuse highlights like cloth or skin, which are matte and satin respectively.

An alternative is a glosscoat and rely on the gloss/matte contrast between it and everything else to carry the effect.

Whoops that's an older pic...ignore

>thin your paints
Nigger what

drink your paint water, absorb it directly into the brain

Looks good user, love the GW Dark Eldar scheme. (I know, not the same but pretty damn close)

What's the base model?

unless I put it on thick, the white wont work on the black

Lots of thin layers. Paint the grey first then do white over it to use less layers

Starting my Terminator Captain and wanted to make him look extra-fancy so I am going to make his armor metallic-red. It's my first time trying to do something like this and don't know how to proceed. I am considering washing the whole figure in Carriburg Crimson then do all my layering and such (don't know if I should mix my layer paints with the metal medium I did for the armor as well.) Or I could just wash all the recesses with Agrax like I normally do. Then after all is said and done I was gonna do multiple thin coats of 'Ardcoat to give a shinny effect.

Any thoughts?

>This effect will be difficult to pull off.

I wasn't fucking with you, user.

i guess i wil see if i can get some sort of gloss

Look, we didn't want an endless parade of these guys when you bought them and we don't really want them now. If you must show off a shitton of dudes at the same time COLLAGE.

They look like unfinished models. Finish one and get critique.

Pledge with Future Shine / Pledge Multi Surface Wax is a nice, thin glosscoat with multiple hobby applications, one bottle will last you a loooong time.

Other than that, there are plenty of glosses out there, even GW does 'Ardcoat.

So you actually want a shiny captain.
What you have suggested will get you that, I don't really see why this is what you want?

He'll match poorly with your basic troops, I really think you'd be better spending the time to do a really nice highlighting job on him and then do whatever varnish you normally give your guys.

>walker gimp
Is there some inside joke/conspiracy I'm not aware of, or is it just multiple guys think it's entertaining that the pilot is a gimp?

Made this, lads. Told you might all like it.

My whole idea was to give my more elite guys, Captains, Command Squads, etc, this kinda armor scheme. Though you do have a point about matching poorly with some regularly painted guys. I am trying my best to make the armor match well with my other dudes just "metallic."

>Repetition is the step to mastery
>Do not be discouraged, everyone begins in ignorance.
>Two thin coats

So /diy/, I went and bought an airbrush and I'm having issues with it. Air comes through fine, no leakage, but when I try to "paint" something nothing comes through (except air). I wanted to learn to use it before painting so I'm using dyed water, so it can't be pigment clogging it up. It "works" when I shake it, though.

Am I doing something wrong or did I get a lemon? I heard I'm supposed to use 10PSI but I don't know how correct that is.

Do you have a picture of something painted in the way you're trying to emulate?

If it's something like this, we have an user in here doing KSons in a similar scheme using gold, and tamiya clear paints.

*/diy/ -> /wip/

Damn, this looks nice. How did you get the fine lines for the strings and the checkered grip? A really steady hand, or some kind of tool?

no the pilot is literally modelled as a gimp

There is literally a gimp built into it.

Huh. Don't know how I never realized that.

I do not. I got this idea and decided I would try and see if I could make it work, so right now it's all trail and error. I'll post pics of the progress, just finished washing the recesses with Agrax. Once I get it all cleaned up and the armor layered I will share what it looks like. I've also decided to take the chance and mix my layer paint with this medium I got today.

anyone have / had experience with Tamiya paints? they any good?