MTG EDH/COMMANDER GENERAL

Be the best dick you can be edition.

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

mtggoldfish.com/deck/551504
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/s-i-t-t-i-n-g-w-a-i-t-i-n-g-w-i-s-h-i-n-g/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-wandering-storm-2/
gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=2997
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Building Karn stax. Seems pretty fun, but not much card draw. I'm already running howling mine, font mind stone 1-3 and even warping wail. Any more suggestions?

Any mana rocks that can draw cards.
Mind Stone, Hedron Archive, even Commander Sphere if you're dying for it.

Travelers amulet, the spellbombs from mirrodin, and conjurers bauble.

Then throw in Sculpting steel. And Prototype portal. Prorotype portal+a spellbomb is hilarious. Or even better, prototype portal+sculpting steel.

he said he has mind stone 1-3, which i assume includes hedron archive and dreamstone hedron.

mind's eye might be gud. gives you something to dump mana into when you have a bunch of rocks and nothing else

mind's eye is bretty gud if you are looking for card draw

Building a life gain/loss deck. Doesn't feel as strong as my others, but haven't gotten the chance to play it much at all yet. Any standout cards I should make sure I have?

I'm running mostly turn-by-turn life gain/loss as opposed to blinking/spawning creatures for triggers. My group is more casual so I don't need to worry about t3/4/5 combo kills.

hatred

Daily reminder that if you play land ramp and don't allow MLD at your table you are the cancer killing EDH.

alright fuckers I've been wanting to built mono black for a while now and I threw this together yesterday. Anything you think I should change? I'm worried about my mana curve.

mtggoldfish.com/deck/551504

i play both

So I've had this idea for a grixis artifacts list using silas renn/kraum. idea would be a staxy/control list with the ability to strap a sword on kraum and go for commander damage as a back up win con.

any body have any ideas for must-haves? I'm going to start hot glueing a list together in a little bit and see what comes out

No specific cards, but a general tip with Oloro (and life gain decks in general). You should focus on triggers, not the amount gained. Gaining one life a turn is way more powerful in this kind of deck than a one shot lifegain card, even if you can gain 20-30 life without any doublers.

Reposting from last thread

Bolas is my Favorite Villian. I want a Bolas Theme Deck but his OG art is Garbage and the FTV card is too exspensive for my blood.

Are you guy with the theme deck? Can you post it? I want to get a sense of what is in it.

I run Oloro but have no secret tech. I guess and obvious shit like toxic deluge and Aethrflux Reservoir

looks like it's full of really bad cards

if you want to make it better then try taking those out and replacing them with good cards

Post your decks.

well, what do you suggest user
clearly I can't tell the difference

Here's my list, it's been performing pretty well.

nice

I'm a retard who should be shot.
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/s-i-t-t-i-n-g-w-a-i-t-i-n-g-w-i-s-h-i-n-g/

Rhox faithmender

Thanks all. Gonna grab a minds eye. One thing i have no lack of is mana. Can i run spell bombs in karn?

no, if it has a colored mana symbol in the card text it counts as that color

What about Sol Ring and Mana Vault? Those aren't cancer in the slightest right?

Reposting from last thread:

Anyone mind helping me out with this Maelstrom Wanderer deck? I've used EDHREC quite a bit to try to throw something together, but it doesn't look very cohesive... And I'm 8 cards over.

Any essential tech I'm missing? Any awful cards I should cut?

I'm not interested in any sort of infinite combo or MLD bullshit. I just wanna Timmy hard and cast big shit for free.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-wandering-storm-2/

I'm 100% with you on that. Almost all of my creatures and enchantments trigger lifegain or loss. It's mostly 1 or 2 life but I know it will add up, especially when I get out sanguine bond or defiant broodlord.

Paradox Haze and psychosis crawler look great, I'm definitely adding them.

Nope, but you can and should run Relic of Progenitus and maybe even Alhammarret's Archive to double up those cantrips

Nobody cares about artifact destruction though, mass or otherwise. So you don't have the same level of hypocrisy.

I had that problem too.

I built it anyway. You don't need it.

I run Splendid Reclamation, Dakmor Salvage, Drownyard Temple, Titania, and Creeping Renaissance and the deck worked fine. It even works without Life from the Loam although I have one of those now as well. Burgeoning and Exploration are good as well to recoup land loss. Don't be a pussy.

Also, I recommend high market. Don't expect to use it much for no reason, but a general sac outlet is always good, and this one fits your theme.

cut
-Bloodbraid Elf
-Temur Sabertooth
-Shardless agent
-greenwarden of murasa
-etherium horn sculptor
-mind's dilation
-selvala's stampede
add in a bit more ramp and whatever other timmy shit you want(creatures take priority). The key to enjoying your Maelstorm Wanderer deck is just playing cards you like(so if anything I said to cut holds sentimental value, ignore it)

Thanks user, I appreciate the response.

The only two there I'd be hesitant to cut are Green warden and Mind's Dilation.

Though, Selvala's Stampede, and the cascade creatures play into my desire to play shit for free.

GIVE ME A COMMANDER THAT ONLY GOES FORWARD, HAS NO BRAKES, AND GIVES ZERO FUCKS, AGGRO OR OTHERWISE

the smaller cascade cards are generally not that great.

Heartless Hidetsugu

Silvos, rogue elemental.

if you can make Radha, you can make a great Balls-deep deck

> OG art is garbage

you are no fan

Zurgo Helmsmasher
Equpment Voltron focusing on indistruccable and board wipes

I LIKE IT BECAUSE RED ELEMENTAL BLAST AND SHIT
I KIND OF LIKE IT BECAUSE GREEN TURN-CLOCKS
I LIKE IT BECAUSE 1V1 I GUESS WITH LAND DESTRUCTION

I need to build something that doesn't include blue or red

I HAPPEN TO LIKE MY PACK FOIL OBLITERATE YES THIS WORKS TOO

I agree with most of his cuts, but would personally keep temur sabertooth. It is nice to be able to bounce other creatures to dodge spot removal and field wipes, and being able to cast Malstrom Wanderer whenever is spicy.

I'm sorry. But I started playing M13 and the first time I saw Bolas was as his Planeswalker art. The old art look nothing like new bolas. Has weird proportions. Has nothing to do with current incarnation of Bolas or his ability. And honestly looks like something I could pay my one of my art school hopeful friends to out do. so I guess I'll just get an Old Bolas and pay for an Alter.

What is the best artifact to slap Mechanized Production onto that is still useful on its own?
can't include mycosynth lattice

Sol ring

Darksteel ingot
Darksteel Pendant
Check all the darksteels for spicyness

SadBot
filligree Familiar
Anything with a cool ETB or Dies trigger to dissuade opponents from destroying it

I guess darksteel forge doean't count then. Blinkmoth urn can be completely retarded. Magister sphinx is pretty fun.

My favourite is alhammarret's archive though. Had that happen in my lifegain deck, my life reached 5 digits.

Darksteel reactor for maximum spice.

hey guys, is Puca dead? I heard bad things about it but now I haven't heard anything for a few months.

Wouldn't you need mirror gallery because it's legendary?

Ignoring the artifact part of Filigree Familiar, is it a good enough creature to run in recursion decks?
Card draw is neat but the life gain feels so small considering it's CMC 3.

What commanders do i want to use if i want to play dick ass elves.dec

>hug to avoid taking aggro
Everyone knows what you're doing and they're not falling for it, just go pillowfort to make someone else the path of least resistance

original ezuri

I almost always try and kill the group hug player but im not sure why, why do people hate that playstyle?

I think of it in terms of being sad robot's pet. Gaining 2 life isn't as strong as grabbing a land, true, but it is a rarity level and 1 cmc lower so it shouldn't be as strong.

Yeah, stole it off my opponent's deck. One person in my playgroup runa a pretty oppressive Galina deck, so the other guy put it in as a counterpick.

I dont really have enough elf cards for edh, would that old precon be a good start or just go with singles?

Because they are either not trying to win at all, or are trying to hide that they are playing combo.

the 2014 freyalise precon is a pretty good start for an elfball deck. there are articles about upgrading it too.

I guess more experienced commander players would know what I'm doing, but in my group that deck wins more than it loses. Might try a pillowfort version though.

Because your opponents getting as many free resources as you do and the group hug player usually getting the most resources is not benevolent.
It's also easy to justify when they're sitting across the table with a smug grin on their face as if they're master deceivers.

Nice i'll go check that out. Any reason to go ezuri over other mono green or one of the not mono green elf commanders?

he's just the best at closing out a game after you've established a board. he's a win con in the command zone.

Ah i gotcha. Can his regenerate ability save my board from wipes by the way?

Because group hug players think they are smarter than you. Every time, and when they get butthurt they become kingmakers. I am looking at you Zedruu

Yes, except for a few: Wrath of God, for example, doesn't let you regenerate shit, but Day of Judgment would. It depends on what card is doing the wipe.

That is pretty good, thanks user.

It's OK. Regenerate is honestly a bit tricky of a key word to take advantage of: there's a TON of removal that just has "that creature can't be regenerated" stapled on to make it seem better, and of course it's not going to do anything against forced-sacrifice or exile effects. It's better than nothing though.

Is it possible to build a pauper commander deck that can compete with mid tier regular commander decks?

Probably not.

What do you mean by this, there are no common legendary creatures. If you just mean no rares, then yeah. Mana drain is just an uncommon for instance. If you just mean budget, then yeah you can make a synergistic budget deck that's good.

If you mean some sort of made up version of pauper that somehow let's you play a legendary creature but no uncommons then stop being a bitch, and just make your deck budget instead.

gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=2997 hmmm

i need a waifu as my next commander, who is a good one?

Atraxa

Sydri, , Damia, Breya

Quints speak, Azami

>playing in a commander 'for points' league
>it's whatever, people are probably just going to points farm, but maybe i'll get to play commander more often with the people i know at the shop and have some fun
>first round is a pretty normal game
>second round get matched up with satan himself (and someone who's really good at the game)
>the second guy (satan's just our local that guy) plays pili-pala t3, nobody has the removal for it in hand
>t4 rolls around, he plays grand architect
>commander is Thrasios and some other guy who's there for the colors
>he uses his infinite mana to draw all the relevant cards in his library
>loops mindslaver to take over our turns, passes them all to get to turn 6(thereby bypassing the -points for killing someone before then)
>plays solitaire for ten minutes, we can't even concede because you aren't allowed to concede if it would stop someone from getting points
>he does so specifically to abuse the points system because he designed his deck around it.

This is why we can't have nice things.

Points systems are fucking stupid.

I won't disagree.

staff of nin

>tryhard shows up every week to EDH
>proudly explains he netdecks off of Reddit's "competitive" EDH board
>nether void, gaea's cradle, every dual
>they all look too pristine to be real, but don't wanna be the guy who calls him out on that shit
>draws his hand before anyone has a chance to cut him, then sees consistent t2-3 Necropotence plays
It could all be a coincidence, but goddamn. He's the only one at the store who seems to give a shit about winning.

Get a jewelers loupe and just ask to see his duals one day under the guise of looking at their condition. Then check for pixels with the loupe. Make him fuckin' sweat.

Also, just say "I'd like to cut your deck, it is the rules after all"

honestly desu fampai. If he's going to insist on playing ultra competetively, then enforce the competitve ruleset on him, ala cutting decks after every shuffle and no allowing replays/take backs.

That, and most of the decks on /r/compedh are really vulnerable to early disruption and green hate.

This. You can find silver bullets in every competitive EDH deck, and a lot of them get their heels cut by early interaction. Since most "Competitive" edh decks are tuned to play against each other, and those decks just goldfish for their combo.

Turn 1-2 Wheel of Fortune makes them screech, I promise you.

In my experience, the greatest amounts of salt and bullshit are created from Edh leagues. Never again.

Easy

>friend brings over new guy who is looking a group
>new guy asks if its ok that he proxies a few cards that he will eventually buy
>not my call since we were at another's house and he allows it
>every deck the new guy has is the most spike commanders ever made
>spends every turn durdling for 15+ minutes and using proxies of gaea's cradle, mana crypt, metalworker, basically all the cards that aren't exactly cheap
>wins majority of games due to all his metagaming bullshit using said proxies which he, miraculously, draws every game

Next meetup is at my place and I am very reluctant to allow this faggot to play here, should I give him another chance but exnay on his proxies or refuse to play with him anymore?

Did you cut his deck?
I don't give a shit about most proxies, but if people just never fucking buy the cards it gets on my nerves. It's your call, but if you don't like them, just say no proxies.

Jarad is better. Pump two elves to 20. Sac both. ?????? Profit

If you're hosting, just let him know beforehand. It avoids complications before they arise.

Everyone cut his deck even if he didn't present it. The first few games if anyone cut he would stop and individually take apart the deck, seperate it into piles then shuffle the piles in a specific pile. Didn't bother anyone but me because I know how to stack decks with that method. He's a military guy so I doubt he could even afford those proxies in the long run

>The first few games if anyone cut he would stop and individually take apart the deck, seperate it into piles then shuffle the piles in a specific pile.
Illegal. You cannot touch a cut deck after it has been handed back to you except to play from. If you shuffle again, your opponents are entitled to cut again.

Will it be banned?