MTG LEGACY GENERAL

Acquisition Edition

What's the next card (s) you intend to acquire and why?

RESOURCES
>Active Legacy Forums
mtgthesource.com/forums/forum.php
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/legacy-type-1-5

>Current Legacy Metagame
mtgtop8.com/format?f=LE
mtggoldfish.com/metagame/legacy

>Find/Browse basic lands by their art, by sets, by artists, and more
basiclandart.tumblr.com

READINGS
>Top 5 Breakdown (May 26, 2016)
channelfireball.com/articles/the-top-5-legacy-decks/

>Miracles: The Match-Up Everyone Should Know
channelfireball.com/articles/how-to-defeat-miracles/

>Utilizing Cabal Therapy (Old but still good)
channelfireball.com/home/legacy-weapon-therapy-session/

Common Legacy - Decks You Should Prepare to Face
>Miracles
>Delver variants (Grixis, Izzet, BUG, RUG)
>ANT (Ad Nauseam Tendrils)
>Death and Taxes
>Eldrazi Stompy
>Shardless BUG
>Lands

Uncommon Legacy - Decks You Should Know About
>LED Dredge
>Reanimator
>Infect
>Stoneblade
>Burn
>TES (The Epic Storm)
>Elves
>Painter
>Maverick
>4-Color Loam
>Nic Fit
>Sneak n Show

Rare Legacy - Decks You May See On Occasion
>Enchantress
>MUD
>Goblins
>Merfolk
>High Tide
>Aluren
>Food Chain
>12 Post
>Belcher
>Pox Control
>Blood Moon Stompy variants
>Tezzerator
>Sneak n Breach
>Stax (White or Black)
>Deadguy Ale
>Landstill
>Affinity
>Oops, All Spells

Mythic Legacy - Decks You'll See Once a Year
>Doomsday Fetchland Tendrils (DDFT)
>Cheerios
>Nourshing Lich
>Non-Eldrazi Moon-less Stompy variants
>Spanish Inquisition
>Ux Omnitell
>Parfait
>The Cure (Kavu Predator + False Cure

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/05-01-17-grixis-tezz/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

i havent played in like a year how has the meta changed, any new cards?

i play storm, dredge, grixis delver, and burn

I think I need to pick up a few copies of leovold just because I have everything else for Reid dukes list

Right now the meta has more BUG colored decks than normal due to Leovold, and Storm's meta share has gone down a bit due to Chalice decks.

A third Griselbrand. Reanishenanigansmans, here I come.

Depending on when you last played, MUD turned into a new deck; uses the same prison package with a bunch of undercosted Eldrazi disgustitude.

Death and Taxes got a big boost, too; there's a white Recruiter now, and there are two Thalias and a white Chalice on a dude called Sanctum Prelate.

Otherwise, don't remember anything else that's been groundbreaking. There's a red-black Reanimator list that gets a lot of T1–2s; it runs Sire of Insanity and Chancellor of the Annex along with the usual gang.

Oh, and there's also a 3-color guy called Leovold you might want to look up. If resolved, he's pretty nasty to fight on Storm.

I'm toughing it out, though. It's hard to obsolete a deck full of 1-cmc good cards.

After being forced to sell off a bunch of cards about 9 months ago, I've finally picked up the last things I needed to actually put a deck together this week, with the intention of playing a local event today.

I check the store website @3pm to make sure its on the schedule, it is. Right at 5 a huge thunderstorm rolls in, streets start flash flooding, its a mess. An hour later, I get to the shop, every table is being used by X-Wing, D&D, and Wh40k games. I ask at the front desk, and get told the decided to cancel Legacy because they didnt have enough room, and they didnt plan on posting anything on thier website to let people know.

Why is literally every game.shop run by retards? I have played various games all over the country, in VA, CA, TX, FL, and so on, and every single one I've been a regular at I have been blown away by their poor business practices.

Seriously, one of the shops I played Legacy at several times had a no EDH or casual MTG policy, since they didn't like the idea of people using their tables to play without having payed some sort of fee. But at the same time the shop allowed homeless guys to crash in the shop, taking naps against the walls while recharging electronics, watch movies on dvd players at the tables, and so on. Eventually someone got their bag with their legacy decks in it stolen, and the entire group of 20 or so people ended up convincing a rival store to start hosting Legacy events, and we all boycotted the old store.

Ive got story after story, literally the only shop Ive frequented that have lasted longer than 5 years is CFB's place in San Jose, but they always have all sorts of drama going on, and I saw employees mass quit twice while playing there.

All I want is a local shop that isnt shit.

Where you from senpai? We got some good places up here in New England.

In Texas right now, I got out of Conneticut around 2005, and since then VA is the furthest north Ive been. Fuck the weather up there. I havent had to dig my truck out from under 10 feet of snow in over a decade now, and its staying that way.

I feel ya. A teammate and I drove 2 hours through a blizzard just to play some legacy. Guess you don't have to do that down there. MTGSalvation has a thread on their legacy board about stores that support legacy. Might help you find something.

>Acquisition edition
All the Cards for PSI

>next cards to buy
Berserks, for The Cure. But the card I WANT to buy next is LED.

I just ordered everything I needed for Turbo Depths. It may not be tier 1, but it tickles my pickle playing it online, so I figured I'd spring for it in paper.

Texas blows for Legacy.

I used to live in Dallas, and I couldn't find anything consistently that wasn't Standard. Apparently there was a Modern crew at the store I frequented (which since then got cleared out for failing to pay rent; no idea what happened re: the owners), but I'd not had a Modern deck together after the banning of Rite of Flame, Seething Song, and (seriously?) Preordain, and Tarmos were even more hideously overpriced and hideously important then than they are now.

It's not that there's nobody in Texas who plays eternal Magic (Bryant Cook being one of the most [self?-]promoted), but there wasn't any way to get into the scene where I was.

So that's why I was a dirty casual for so long. I wouldn't be surprised if there were a Legacy scene in DFW, but none of the stores would do trade-ins for any kind of value, and I couldn't find a playgroup, even after hitting up four stores in the area.

Texas sucks. Even Vermont, with its surfeit of trees and shitty "roads" and its dearth of humans, is a better place to be.

Indiana, bro. Maybe it's something about gencon but we have our shit together for MTG. Several places do legacy in Indianapolis proper, since it's a BIG city area-wise. (The 465 loop encompasses almost 300 square miles!)
The weather isn't great, but it works well for the most part.

Next cards I'm aiming to pick up is a set of infernal tutor. Biggest reason they're still proxies is because only one shop here has them and I don't think they're worth 90 for a playset.

Madness, right? It blows my mind that that store doesn't post on social media more. Or even at all. Our Legacy scene there has been shrinking for the last few months unfortunately.

Theres a new shop in Dallas that just opened up, Boardwalk Games. Their Legacy nights are Thursdays I think, but they kick off before my shift ends.

I've been playing The Cure lately because it's cheap and fun and some decks just totally can't deal with a 14/14 trampler.
Often you get ruined by Sneak and Show or Oops but that's cool, other times you smash people with huge Kavu Predators or win via an oblique pseudo-combo.

I find it has good game against Miracles because of mainboard Reverent Silence to deal with Countertop, but it's not an easy matchup for sure.
Lately I've been winning a lot against DnT, which confuses me because I really feel like DnT is heavily favored against the Cure. They've got removal, mana denial for my slightly wonky mana base (runnin Junk colors because S2P is too good in the strategy and hilarious), instant speed creatures that seriously impact my strategies but I've been playing with my a couple of friends who have DnT and been winning 8 games to 2. I don't know why, maybe it's just the way she goes.

>playing against Turbo Depths
>they generate a t2 Marit Lage
>tap drs for W
>swords to plowshares Marit Lage token
>in response
>BB for False Cure
>ggwp

God I love playing 4c Loam on cockatrice. Is this deck worth getting. Ps leovold is a cunt

I took a gamble and bought "damaged" infernal tutors online for like 10 bucks each. They came in and were fine. Perfectly playable. Not pretty due to the clumsy partial whitebordering job, but well worth the 40 bones.

>Reverent Silence

Ooo, that's some spicy tech. I wish a similar card existed for artifacts, it'd be a good way to get around Chalice.

Just play Shattering Spree. Replicated copies are not "cast" and go through a Chalice on 1.

>white Chalice on a dude called Sanctum Prelate.
it only superficially looks like chalice. in reality the card doesn't counter spells, it disallows casting altogether. it also has no effect on creature spells, which is relevant, and it's ability is an 'as this card enters the battlefield' ability, not an ETB trigger, and cannot be set to 0 by flickering.

>Replicated copies are not "cast" and go through a Chalice on 1.

What the /fuck/

I actually never knew that. Thanks user.

>All I want is a local shop that isnt shit.

Good luck man. The problem with 99% of game stores is they're started by nerds with zero business acumen.

The few successful game stores I know of were started by people who weren't really "gamers" per se

No problem! Replicate lets you just copy the spell as you cast it and choose new targets for the copies. And the rulings are that a copy of a spell or ability is never considered cast or activated!

>Texas blows for Legacy.

Austin has a decent Legacy scene, but it's all centered at Pat's Games. I'm attempting to get something set up that's closer to where I live in San Antonio.

This is why I am an accounting major and taking several business classes, to keep that avenue open should the opportunity present itself.

You have a good point that just need passion does not a good LGS make. But nerd passion AND business werewithal? Certainly could work.

That said, Indy is pretty close to saturation as far as gaming is concerned. I know better than to try anything here. Would have to move elsewhere to have any realistic shot.

>The few successful game stores I know of were started by people who weren't really "gamers" per se
the one i frequent was started by a "gamer". he's got three shops open now because he's not a greasy neckbeard.

Pulverize, Meltdown x being at least 1.

Im in southern OH and Ive never really had problems like that with my stores, outside of people just not showing up to play. Letting hobos........hobo around in your store is just asking for problems. The only issue's ive had are with the other players. Like cocky know it all elitist asshole types. I dont really see this that much in legacy. But I used to see it in standerd and hear it across the tables when they run modern. Ygo was SUPER bad about it to. I fucking hate those kinds of people. A few of the staff at my LGS are like that. Its really bad at the store in the rich part of town as well. It seems like everyone is like that there. Like one time even the judge was being kind of an asshole. It was later in the night after a few people dropped. Modern player calls for a judge and asks 'JUDGE! what actually happens when he ultimates Karn on me?' The Judge responds with 'I laugh at you?'. And the judge just looks at him for a minute. Eventually he went over to help him but like......ya mr judge, the thing you said was funny, but the guy was legitimately asking a question and you were a snarky asshole while on the.....judge..clock..thing.... Just do your job bro.

Just went t my weekly legacy. Only 5 people so we did 3 rounds, winner take all. I went 2-1 so I didn'the take all. My only loss was to shardless, which feels bad but it was my fault. Kept sketchy hands in games 2 and 3.

yeah but then you're in Austin. i mean come on now.

Or ingot chewer. Chewer is 5 so beats a chalice on one, also beats tax effects like thorn of amethyst.

Like trinisphere sorry and Thalia since its a creature spell

Evoking the Ingot Chewer will still cost 2R. Nothing gets past Trinisphere (except Delve, but you do pay the cost there).

Do you have any rule-of-thumb mulligan hands for DDFT (not match-up specific, just auto-mulligan compositions)?

Also, finally got a playset of Mires to go with the Deltas, feels good man. My sleeves are getting thoroughly broken in with all the shuffling.

Eh not really. It's not much different from other storm decks. Hands with Ideas Unbound of Lab Maniac you should consider mulling because they are basically mulls anyway with the dead card, so if they're borderline, throw them back. I have a tendency to keep loose hands and I really need to break myself of it.

Yes, Boardwalk is a good shop to play at and the owner seems to know what he's doing. I think a lot of the potential players are in your situation though, since we rarely get more than 8.

>yeah but then you're in Austin. i mean come on now.

True, there just isn't a way to win sometimes.

>the one i frequent was started by a "gamer". he's got three shops open now because he's not a greasy neckbeard.

Nice. It sounds like he had some sort of good ideas and was part of the 1% that had some sort of good business sense.

>You have a good point that just need passion does not a good LGS make. But nerd passion AND business werewithal? Certainly could work.

Yeah of course this is the ideal scenario.

Personally I would never ever open up a game store. At the very least, I would never open up one that depends on Magic the Gathering. You're basically their little fuckboy toy and you have to kowtow to all their demands or you lose what little profit you were getting in the first place.

Excepting the fact that it doesn't stop creatures, all those things are actually improvements on Chalice. Among other things, Abrupt Decay isn't castable against it if it's set to two.

The same is true for other "copy" effects like Fork and storm triggers. Not like that often matters, given that one doesn't get played in Legacy and the other is mostly on spells that won't get Chaliced anyway, but still.

Went 1-2 today on Dredge. Variance was definitely a problem (two mulligans to an abysmal 4), but I think I could've played a bit more carefully. Saw a Cunning Wish in someone's hand, and I really should've burned a Therapy to stop the next-turn Ravenous Trap for about 45-50 cards. This is why I hate being out in the sticks; little opportunity to practice when I keep getting iced in.

You can Chain Lightning yourself against Miracles and if they think you're just being a dick and let it resolve through the Counterbalance by not topping to a cmc 1 card then you can pay RR to copy it back at them avoiding the Counterbalance completely

I need Ensnaring Bridges for the Burn Sideboard, have them replaced with Grafdiggers cage rn to help against Reanimator and dredge and they have picked me up a game here and there but Ensnaring Bridge is generally better. Also maybe get a few duals. Just kind of conflicted on what deck I would play if i ever get another deck other then Burn. I actually own two Legacy Burn decks lol.

Gamerz Pair-a-Dice on NW Military has Legacy night on Wednesday. I've been going pretty regularly. The last couple weeks have barely fired though, so definitely show up.

Why do people get so fucking tilted against Burn?

Fireblast.jpg

Muh easy deck

I want to build aluren since I love that style of play. Should I go classic four color or just bug with leovold in a miracles and reanimator infested meta?

>160$ in
>Still not finished with my deck.

The dream is dead folks.

Which deck are you trying to make?

Omnitell
[Spoiler]Because I don't want to buy RL cards[/Spoiler]

Yeah its mostly easy. Who gives a fuck? Like why is that such an issue to some autists? Eldrazi is easy too

Been testing walking ballista in eldrazi.
So far mixed results, however it's super spicy when chalice is cut g2

Good looking out, I'll see if my schedule aligns with their Legacy nights. Thanks!

My friend who usually knows a lot about magic rulings said that you can respond to Brainstorm's second ability (put 2 cards on top of your library).

Is this possible or do you have to let the full spell resolve before responding? Because this could change a lot about how I play considering there are a lot of spells that do more than one thing before finishing.

Your friend is wrong. Placing two cards back on top of your library is part of the spells resolution, not a second ability. All the text on a card is executed during the resolution of a spell before priority is passed again.

>Southern Ohio
Let me guess, Chillicothee?

I thought so.

I fucking knew that sounded ridiculous.

A bit more west actually. Think more general dayton area. Card shops seem to be a dime a dozen in ohio.

Huh. I remember living out in Hillsboro and Deck&Dice in Chill Town was the closest place to play, through 40 miles of winding hills and blind hairpin turns because fuck you.

And they almost exclusively did limited with rare redraft. Fuck them in the ass.

I've heard that Mason has a decent crowd, decent enough that they can stream FNM on twitch. (Stupid IN laws means every player has to sign a waiver because they "might" be on camera and if ANYONE refuses then they can't stream period.)

people get buttblasted against eldrazi too. it's not so much the fact the deck is easy to play, I guess it's feeling like nothing you did mattered. some people don't realize that's what you're signing up for when you play this format.

He's wrong. He can respond to your casting the spell (before the spell's effects happen, but after you've paid the costs for the spell), but if the spell resolves, all of its effects happen before the active player gets priority.

Certain things seem like they break this rule, but they don't. Storm, for instance, is a triggered ability, which means that when you cast a spell with Storm, before the spell resolves, the Storm trigger goes on the stack, meaning that the copies of the spell don't exist yet. So if you're playing MTGO, if an opponent casts Tendrils of Agony, you have to wait to cast Flusterstorm until the Storm trigger resolves (putting all the copies of Tendrils on the stack). If you respond to the Tendrils before the Storm trigger resolves, you'll have a bunch of Flusterstorms aimed at the first copy of Tendrils. Then the Tendrils Storm trigger resolves, putting a bunch of copies on the stack. The copies of Tendrils resolve, then your Flusterstorms all counter the initial Tendrils, and you lose a bunch of life. Maybe not enough to kill you, but that depends on life total and Storm count.

True. I mean thats why people like playing Force decks because it gives them at least some ability to fight the unfair strategies but there are some games you literally couldnt do anything to win and you just have to accept it. Turn 1 reanimate Sire of Insanity, Turn 2 Tendrils for 9 Storm and such. Theres even games in Modern like that, turn 2 triple Goblin Guide when theyre on the play is game against some decks even if you dont lose right then and there and ive even had a fucking Griselbrand hit the board turn 2 with Goryos vengeance and they exiled two red cards to get an extra combat step off some card and killed me then, so you just have to accept the fact that there are some games you just lose. Most games in Legacy and in Modern though are fair I think and a better player will have a higher win percentage then a not so good one, the more you practice the more you study the better your chances are of winning and thats what I love about the game.

If you really want to play a format where nothing broken happens and you always get fair matches then just play Pauper. I would say Standard and usually Standard is very fair but they just had to ban 3 cards from it so im not sure if thats the case right now. Maybe now that the bannings took effect it is.

>I mean that's why people like playing Force decks because it gives them at least some ability to fight the unfair strategies.
This is why I enjoy Tezzerator strategies so much, I get to have so many maindeck answers to unfair decks with Force, Chalice and Ensnaring Bridge. I had a game recently where I got blindsided by TES in turn 1, but I knew my opener was weak to turn 1 combo and accepted that, game 2 I brought in Flusterstorm and Trinisphere and kept an opener with Trini. Flusterstormed a ritual partway into combo to put them off a while and Transmuted a Trini into play. Game 3 the guy powered out a Charbelcher on turn 1 and passed, I played a Chalice on 0 and a few turns later Daretti, Iconoclast. Blew up Belcher and his Moxes and ground out a win.
I play online, so since card acquisition isn't an issue my list is in a constant state of flux, what do you guys think of this iteration?
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/05-01-17-grixis-tezz/
I never really realized how powerful Dack was until I started playing with him, pitching lands with a Crucible in the deck is value and of course pitching Sword of the Meek is great. He also steals Batterskulls like a champ, while it isn't unequipped it's easy to find a sac outlet for it or if I'm desperate even bounce it. I ended up dropping the Silas Renn singleton as he rarely connected and when he did it felt like I was already winning, though I might consider -1 Strix +1 Silas. I've also been testing Yahenni's Expertise instead of Deluge, since it casts so much of my stuff for free. It's been worse vs DnT with the mana denial and tax effects and worse vs Eldrazi because a lot of the stuff is too big, but it's been good vs BUG decks like Leovold and Aluren. I've been thinking about testing Padeem, Consul of Innovation as a replacement for Guardian Beast, both are insurance against Abrupt Decay but Beast gives Indestructible and Padeem draws a card.
/blog

post your favorite foglio art

Look at this smug motherfucker

Goddamn Foglio

One of my teammates wants to get into legacy, and has a bad affinity deck that I've been trying to convince him to upgrade into tezzerator. Is there a build that can get away without duals?

Why not go all in aggro with the artifact lands?

Yes, especially in Tezz with artifact mana. Just run shocks, maybe 1 or 3 of the new shitty "need 2 basics" duals, and 1 or 2 extra basics. It'll be fine, it might lose out a few percentage points against stuff like burn, but OG duals to shocks isnt all that big of a downgrade

Like said, the duals are strictly better but the loss of 2 life ins. Deck running ancient tombs anyways isn't a huge deal outside certain matchups. Tezzerator combo is realatively cheap sans duals but he would still have to shell out for city of traitors, forces, a Jace or two and some stuff I'm likely forgetting. Really you can just throw in artifact lands and ancient tombs and affinity is ready for legacy. It's not the best but it's a place to start. Tezzeret has a place as a 1-2 of if he feels like it

Well he does have the legcy affinity deck but it just isn't that good.

Another person, I've seen Tezzerator played with fastlands (is that the correct term? The ones that enter untapped if there are only two other lands, Darkslick Shores anyway). That seemed to work quite well.

It's the correct term yeah. It's just a hard deck to budget because the pieces that allow you to play fair are expensive as balls like any other blue deck.

I just played against a deck that seemed like a regular nic fit build, but then suddenly played academy rector, flashed back cabal therapy, found omniscience, played emrakul, game.

Anyone familiar with this deck?

It sounds like NicFit/academy rector. One of those nic fit homebrews that work because nic fit has like 20 flex spots

So I've been thinking about my sideboard lately. I have 2 flex slots. Sometimes they're flusterstorms or xantid swarms, sometimes they're surgical extraction. But lately I've been wanting a 2nd discard spell, so I can bring one in and still have 1 to wish for. The obvious option is thoughtseize, and it's stock seems to be going up with all the Leovolds around. But that life loss senpai, the life loss. I guess I should just test it. Someone else opine pls.

It's probably workable, I like Darkwater Catacombs as a way to filter City/Tomb mana into UB but it would probably be good here, though it makes you way more vulnerable to Wasteland. I've also seen some strange Affinity/Tezz builds that go white for SFM with Sword of the Meek and Cranial Plating as targets.

Did you drop the Collective Brutality? I think you mentioned them before. Blackmail can hit lands for what it's worth.

I've played against a deck like that a couple times before. I never got to see the payoff, though, because I would just exile the Academy Rector with Deathrite Shaman in response to the trigger.

>Is there a build that can get away without duals?

Yeah but you need Gaea's Cradle instead lel

Do you think the format could survive unbanning Sol Ring?

If they banned Chalice and Trinisphere at the same time

I dropped collective brutality a while back. I like the card for my deck bit I think it's best in a DnT-heavy, miracles-light meta. The fact that it doesn't hit Leovold before or after he comes down is a problem. I'd rather run more mana-efficient disruption, which is why I lean towards thoughtseize, despite the life loss.

>Ancient Tomb
>sol ring, sol ring
>TKS
No.

Turn 1 chalice on 1 for every deck!

Allowing four copies of Sol Ring per deck would instantly kill any format. Sol Ring is stronger than off-color Moxen.

People have a weird blind spot to how retardedly overpowered that card is just because it's not that expensive. But only reason it's not expensive is because it was an uncommon, and stayed outside the reserved list because of that. In terms of raw power it's definitely on par with Lotus, Moxen, Ancestral Recall and Time Walk.

No. It's a +1 mana that stays until destroyed with no drawbacks it's as if someone said moxen are okay as long as you don't have that color in your deck, but better because instead of 1 to 2 it's 1 to 3. If Sol ring were unbanned you would see an absolute dominance of not only eldrazi but a revival of mud that would remind every legacy player what exactly is so scary about a stax deck. You thought miracles was oppressive? Turn 2 smokestacks with extra permanents to sac to it. Very consistent turn 2 tks. I'm

>revival of mud
I love the sound of those words. Butya sol ring would be super dumb in legacy.

I wish MUD Stax was more of a thing, all I wanna do is smash face with Lodestone Golems and tick up Smokestacks. Sounds like a good time.

There has to be a better way to make it than unbanning Sol ring

No it doesn't

t. Spell slinger

Well, that MUD Stax build with Inventors' Fair did hit the top 8 recently after Kaledesh...

I can't really think of anything on the banlist that would give it a chance other than Academy maybe. Having Jar and Academy would be pretty sweet, I don't think Storm decks really want Jar anyways.
I didn't see that, I'll check it out. Thanks.

If we're going to unban a monstrously overpowered mana artifact for laughs, I'm voting for muh boy Mana Vault.

is it so wrong that I just want access to cheaper (in dollary doos) fast mana because I didn't start playing until Odyssey and didn't start playing Legacy until Eldrazi Winter hit Modern?

I get the feeling that tolarian academy would unleash entirely new brands of horrible decks to legacy, seeing as the standard deck it spawned was a turn 1 win 40% of the time

Wanting Magic to cost less is never wrong.

Probably, I would expect some disgusting turn 2 affinity kills with 4 Academy and maybe even Cradles.

>Affinity
In 1998 the standard deck was a turn 2 kill with stroke of genius. 4 petal 4 mox diamond some from monoliths and mi D over matter plus Time spiral made enough mana to kill turn 2 pretty reliably