Party decided to set up home base within city

>Party decided to set up home base within city
>After a couple dungeon crawling sessions suddenly they're visited by a couple city guards
>"Yes you're all an adventuring party right? Have you been paying your taxes?"
>The parties face when
>They learn that basically 20% of their accumulated treasure needs to be donated to the city
>They go "fuck this"
>Try to build a base outside the city
>Suddenly have second thoughts when GM pulls out random encounter table
>They go back and learn that the city is in fact run via representational democracy
>One of the new runners for the council is a powerful arcmage who wishes for adventurer tax to be cut significantly
>The party meets and befriends him in hopes of getting him in power since he has more connections than they do
>Suddenly he goes "Oh I didn't realize you had one of those with you..."
>The party gnome goes wtf
>We learn his platform calls for the expulsion of all gnomes within the city
>Party gnome ain't having any of that shit
>He suddenly reads up on the cities tax division
>He points out how the taxes do go to worthwhile causes like blacksmiths and local farmers who provide them meals and fix their shit
>Debate Begins but session ends before it gets too charged

I dunno if I should bail yet Veeky Forums this seems like it has promise but it could also explode at any moment

Can I join your game? Sounds fun AF. I just left a game because the other players barely roleplayed at all.

They should just suck it up and leave the city desu.
They're adventurers not weak peasants, the random encounter table wont kill them.

>They learn that basically 20% of their accumulated treasure needs to be donated to the city

Historically speaking, that's extortionate.
The American civil war was fought over less.
At the height of the roman empire, the tax rate was less than 1%

If an explosion is imminent, make some popcorn and enjoy the show.

Then share it with us. This shit sounds cash.

This. The party should use their deeds and fame saving people/adventuring/growing more powerful as a lobby base to waver current laws into more... useful terms.

Well D&D ain't exactly historical.

This is OLD SCHOOL we're talking about. As in: "Every hour you're outside the walls of a city you're risking random encounters".

What if the party demands tax benefits because of what they do for the home city? If the money goes to blacksmiths and other good causes, I imagine it could go to a good adventurer's guild.

>This is OLD SCHOOL we're talking about. As in: "Every hour you're outside the walls of a city you're risking random encounters".
I always thought that was stupid, and that's the way I grew up playing. It doesn't make sense and it bogs the game down with superfluous shit.

Now, if you were in an enemy-controlled territory, like an Orcish wildland or something, then it might make sense.

I'm with you on this user. Random encounter tables are fine and all, but maybe they should be kept to a single day instead of an hour. How densely populated are the woods with monsters, anyway? How do villages hope to start up without strong guard populations if they're so densely populated by monsters and hooligans?

What version are you playing?

And DnD doesn't have to be historical (though many campaigns have a basis in history) - but human nature is historical; and if humans (or green savage 'umies/longliving snooty humans/small gruff jewish humans etc.

I think it would actually be really fun to play a magical corrupt party of congressman...

in Yurp people pay 40%...

I sorta took it as a means for us to have to face the political campaign instead of being cheeky and avoiding it.

Kind of a dick move to spring it on us but the others don't seem 100% against it and like I said I'm... conflicted on whether or not I should stick around.

>What version are you playing?

Homebrewed 4e.

I was part of group dealing with, shall we say, legalizing adventuring.

We settled for, instead of paying taxes as money or product (blacksmiths paid in nails), as a 'adventurer corvée', performing missions for the good of the realm. We didn't got paid for this, but could keep what we looted from enemies and anyone not subject to said realm.

The group could propose this to the city council or even run as their own faction, with an adventurer atracting plataform which also provides a means to counter murderhobos (kill "extraordinary bandits" counts as a mission).

>Dear citizens, what is more important: a pile of gold or ensuring the safety and prosperity of our grand city against any and all natural and supernatural threats?

>The American civil war was fought over less.
You do mean the revolutionary war right? ... Right?

Does that mean the guards on the city walls have to roll for a random encounter to fight off every hour? If there's that many dangerous monsters lurking 5 feet from the city, I don't see how anyone gets anything done.

>I sorta took it as a means for us to have to face the political campaign instead of being cheeky and avoiding it
The literal definition of railroading. "You don't wanna do my campaign that I spent weeks planning in my PoliSci class? Fuck you, monsters everywhere."

That said, if you want to do the campaign, jump right in. If the party wants to do the campaign and you don't, have your character leave and come back when the party is adventuring at more your speed. If the party doesn't want to do the campaign, leave and accept the consequences of ignoring a politically-unstable situation that you may have been able to influence.

Of course, it kinda sounds like your particular GM is going to throw a tantrum if you don't do his campaign, so... yeah. I've been the shit GM before. I know the signs.

>join local adventurers' guild
>have to donate part of your rewards
>fucking 90% of your reward money per mission
Don't be fooled by his charming demeanor; Wigglytuff is a cunning extortionist.

>Every hour you're outside the walls of a city you're risking random encounters
Hexcrawling tends to have random encounters by day (or by day's travel).
It's time *inside dungeons* that has a wandering monster check ever 10 minutes.

> wants to lower taxes
> wants to kick out gnomes

So why is the guy bad again?

So basically it's contrived bullshit railroading with the good ol' "b-but it's REALISTIC which is why I need to use unrealistic means to justify it!"

I'd start murderhoboing any NPC that seems vulnerable until the GM pulls out the implausibly powerful city inhabitants card and then leave.

There were also numerous taxes imposed on slaves in the south that didn't effect the economy of the North which lead to increased tensions during the Civil War but yes, he prolly means the Revolutionary War.

Why not start a monster army with the random encounters in the woods? Crack open that city and plunder all the sweet loot inside with a horde of demihuman non-voters and migrants.

>>He points out how the taxes do go to worthwhile causes like blacksmiths and local farmers who provide them meals and fix their shit

What? Are these people employed by the city, do they get high subsidies, or something else?
Do the Adventurers get this stuff for free then, or is it just communism and they get jack-shit?
Also, why does the tax go to craftsmen and laborers and not to more charitable endeavors like hospitals or communal project like infrastructure or the military?

my man, the super low taxes were part of the reason Rome fell