Dwarfholds

Can we get a dwarfholds thread going? I'm looking for inspiration for some cozy, warm, imposing dwarven fortresses.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ytWz0qVvBZ0
youtu.be/-6FXeupOp04
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Strike the earth!

Jesus Christ, why does the Dwarf architecture have to look so fucking SAMEY absolutely everywhere? I swear these could all belong in the same game.

Comfy.

I mean, the dwarves' whole schtick is that they're miners and they're practical and follow function over form. That leads naturally to a certain style of architecture.

Because it's inspired by the same bland derivative material.

>Roll for balance
>"Natural 20"
>You fall to your death

youtube.com/watch?v=ytWz0qVvBZ0

If cave-water is glowing bright blue, I don't think the dwarves are going to survive drinking it for long.

>roll for digging
>"Natural 20"
>You dug too greedily and too deep
I can totally see this

I need this thread.
I've got a session today based in a Dwarf Hold, so this is all gold.
Let's see what I have.

All your arguments are invalid

Different shades = different level, right?

Are there people boating in that magma?

I think those are rocks

No, I think they're just rocks.

I do love the statue's tankard magmafalls, that's just so damn dwarven

Pic related isn't a dwarf structure, but it is an underground cathedral, so that counts, right?

Are you sure?

looks like two guys riding a thanksgiving turkey

The sense of scale on this one is just kinda silly

youtu.be/-6FXeupOp04
Is there a comfier tune?
I can just close my eyes and imagine myself digging deep underground in the dark in some far corner of the Blood God's realm

>I do love the statue's tankard magmafalls, that's just so damn dwarven
I wonder how it replenishes the magma to spill tho

>a scale of twenty leagues
>by the artist's own claim the stairway at the east gate takes two hours to walk down
Why is everyone this retarded about scale, Veeky Forums?

Maybe the arms of the statue are conduits and they're fed with magma through the body using convection ?
Or maybe there are unseen magma spouts on the ceiling that aim at the mugs. They fill up then the statue tilts them.
Bah, I don't know, that's just my 2 cents.

Partly because dwarves are known for building on a huge scale, partly because artists (and writers) aren't known for their sense of scale either.

Also not knowing what a League means (the distance a man walks in an hour, usually about 3 miles - but it varies with time and place) though a human's league might 2 hours for a dwarf or on terrain like stairs

Like any fountain, though that'd be one hell of a pump

Just to clarify how fucking stupid this is, an English league is three miles by ancient tradition; that means the stairway is six vertical miles long. If we assume the stairway has a slope of 30°, this means an ascent of 3.4 vertical miles to the East Gate, to be compared with Mount Everest's height of 5.5 vertical miles *above sea level* -- and Everest Base Camp is at 3.4 miles above sea level. So according to this map the climb up these stairs is literally higher than climbing Everest.

>six vertical miles long
FUCK six *horizontal* miles, obviously. I thought I double-checked that and everything. RAAAGE

You are assuming that the staircase is at 30 degrees and has no "landings" - 30 degrees is fine for a domestic staircase (a little shallow, possibly), but any staircase 6 miles long that ends in a city gate isn't likely to be built like a domestic staircase - if it's a big construction it'll likely not just be normal stairs.

It's also built for dwarves, so it's unlikely to be anywhere like as steep as human steps, even if it is built like normal stairs

I don't doubt that it's a huge climb, but it's not as totally out there as you'd think - the tallest stairs IRL are "only" 3.4 km long, with a rise of 1660m - they're maintenance stairs for a funicular railway (not pic related, but pic related looks much cooler)

From Games Day 08 in France (I think)

I fucking love dwarf holds. Something so awesome and comfy about them.

Let's see what pictures I have, boys.

Huh. This is Vermintide concept art. I wonder if they used that table as inspiration.

Maybe

Last one

What I'm learning from this thread is that dwarf architects really like making people walk into a giant dwarf's open mouth.

Racial vore fetish. Something about mining all day, I don't know.

I can dig this. Finally something other than tired viking or Moria knockoffs. Tolkien based his dwarven language on Semitic languages, so it'd be only natural for them to live in ziggurats.

>thread about a specific type of architeture
>complain that every image contains the same type of architeture

Confusedanimegirlwithainterrogatorymarkaboveherhead.gif

Does anyone else REALLY want to play some Dwarf Fortress now?

Its just a harmless fungus
Makes water taste like toothpaste tho

Its why they drink ale most of the time

No, not people. Just elves.