/swg/ Topical discussions edition

Previous Thread: Fantasy Flight Games’ X-Wing and Star Wars: Armada Miniatures Games
>pastebin.com/Wca6HvBB

Fantasy Flight Games’ Star Wars RPG System (EotE/AoR/FaD)
>pastebin.com/wCRBdus6
>mega.nz/#!DkNTDTyZ!PUupCOep4RmRcsgI3rNhU_Pk_xcyFbYWnhrq8gwrVv0

Other Fantasy Flight Games Star Wars Tabletop (Imperial Assault, Star Wars: Destiny and the Star Wars LCG)
>pastebin.com/ZE4gn0yN

Fantasy Flight Games Dice App (Works with X-Wing, Armada, the Star Wars RPG system and Imperial Assault)
>mediafire.com/download/64xy3uy6vepll8v/com.fantasyflightgames.swdice.ver.1.1.4.build.9.apk

Older Star Wars Tabletop (d6, d20/Saga, etc.)
>pastebin.com/wXP0LdyJ

Reference Materials & Misc. Resources
>pastebin.com/AGFFkSin

All Canon Novels and Comics (via /co/)
>mega.co.nz/#F!2R5kDTqQ!WfrDla-jvDIn05U57T9hhQ

Just What IS Canon Anyways?
>starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Canon#2014_reboot
>starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_canon_media

The Clone Wars Viewing Guide
>img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1442/36/1442364889994.png

Writefaggotry
>pastebin.com/cJY5FK9T

Shipfag's hangar
>drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByhAdnTlOKOeQnA4SFByUC1aQWM&usp=sharing

HoTAC
>dockingbay416.com/campaign

Other urls found in this thread:

game2.ca/eote/#
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Best snubfighter comin' through.

agreed

Nice to see that others recognize quality when they see it.

whats the best fighter without the best ship

Did anybody else find Imperial Assauts "Jabbas Realm" to be not a good next choice for an expansion? I figured FFG would of went Endor or the Death Star, something relevant to the main plot of the original trilogy.

WTF are you talking about? Jabba's palace is the obvious place to set an expansion after Bespin. If anything, it's too predictable.

>Twin Shadows
The part of Tatooine with seedy cantinas and Tusken Raiders, like we see in the first act of A New Hope
>Return to Hoth
Hoth, duh, the first act of The Empire Strikes Back
>The Bespin Gambit
Cloud City, the third act of ESB
>Jabba's Realm
The part of Tatooine we see in the first act of Return of the Jedi

So what are we missing chronologically? On board the first Death Star, which is not a place to set even a mini-campaign; the Death Star trench run, which is for X-Wing, not Imperial Assault; and Dabogah, where exactly three characters appeared in the entire OT.

Endor will probably be the next large expansion (I don't think FFG would try to cram it into a small box, anyway). Expect Scout Troopers, Ewoks, a Rebel general version of Han Solo, and if we're lucky, Palpatine. The Jabba's Realm wave gave us a head start on Endor with pic related.

Best at what? Exploding?

Whats the best non-Star Wars films to rip off for my EotE campaign?
I'm lazy and can't seem to think of a good plot

What's the party make up?

Any Akira Kurosawa film
The Godfather
Fistful of Dollars trilogy
Blazing Saddles
Hard Boiled
The Fast and the Furious
Reservoir Dogs
Heat
Ocean's Eleven
Shanghai Noon/Knights
Pulp Fiction
Boondock Saints
Big Trouble in Little China

Do any of these work?

My players haven't really come up with it yet
But from previous experience it will be 2-3 Han Solo rip-offs and some kind of diplomat/healer

Thanks m80, thats a great help

Italian job?

You've got your driving (or piloting), your blowing things up, plenty of opportunity for things to go horribly wrong.

Good idea, I might do a mix of that and the Godfather
Thanks for the ideas
Sorry forgot to quote correctly

They really are unparalleled at exploding if you can get their side arcs in your line of fire. On the flip side, they're one of the most efficient snipers out their front arc, especially with the Salvation title.

If you can, watch Kill!. It's a more humorous adaptation of the same book that Kurosawa based Yojimbo off of.

Well my party's bounty hunter droid just jihaded the hell out of an Inquisitor.

Against all odds the party had managed to beat her down, but she was fleeing, and thanks to Enhance jumps she was getting the fuck out of dodge faster than anyone could really keep up with, was sitting there all smug thinking I had a recurring villain on my hands.

Cue the bounty hunter droid deciding that escape isn't on menu, engaging his jetpack and tackling her out of the fucking air while detonating an armour piercing charge he had in his chest cavity. Bits of him rained down all over the battlefield, but the party's ass is now covered and they have a pretty cool story to tell, even if they lost a crewmate.

He was a modified B1 Battle Droid, so it's kind of appropriate that he blew the fuck out of a force user. Finally got that jedi scum. Like pottery.

Will do

So how do I efficiently run the firespray in scum lists? I really like Kath Scarlet, but Boba also has his charm.

Who to pair with them? (only got one firespray, unfortunately)

Well on the bright side, the Empire now has a very good reason to throw a heavy fist the parties direction now.

I made my old party regret the day they decided to gib a trainee Inquisitor after the party Jedi. They even recorded it and uploaded it to the holonet for kicks. This was only our second ever Star Wars game so they didn't exactly realize the penalty of antagonizing the Empire like that but they got taught quickly enough. Fun times.

Endor is likely next. Jabba's Realm is pretty fuckin baller, though. Jet Troopers!

Possible IA expansions
>Endor
Ewoks, scout troopers, Han/Chewie/AT-ST that's worth a damn
>Lothal
AT-PTs, Security droids (Death Troopers), Hondo
>TFA, maybe Maz's castle
Crimson Corsair, FO and Resistance dudes, roly poly monsters
>Jedha
Partisans, tanks, crazy weirdo alien shit, Death Troopers?
>Geonosis
Battle droids pls

Things will definitely escalate, for sure. I loved the session though, it was a really nice end to that character, even if he had a lot of potential that kind of got snuffed out.

Losing his friend has also made the party jedi's rapid spiral into the dark side accelerate that bit more, he's probably going to fall in a session or two at this rate.

>inb4 Lothal, infiltrator droids, Lasats, statblocks for Mining Guild TIE and inquisicopter

At our regionals yesterday (128 players, I think) the guy who made second had Boba and Ketsu.

Kath I like to run with fearlessness and dengar or tail gunner plus glitterstim and an optional engine upgrade. Boba I like VI, engine, glitterstim, latts/tactician/tail gunner, and proton bombs.

Solid ship, fun to fly, definitely unforgiving without engine upgrade.

Remember, you can spend a Dark Side point to let any Nemesis escape.

These are awesome! Thanks a ton!

Were E-wings meant to look like Vipers from BSG, or is it coincidence?
If it's intentional, is it homage or blatant rip-off.
Also, T-wings

E-wings look nothing like Vipers. Vipers were made from McQuarrie drawings anyway.

They're not dissimilar

That's a hell of a stretch, even for Reed Richards.

E-wings are just lazily derivative from existing designs. Existing designs are already similar to the Viper, since they were both made by the same damn concept artist.

That's the extent of their similarity.

>engines in completely different places
>guns in completely different places
>one cockpit follows flat surfaces, the others' makes a bubble
>one has a vertical stabilizer, the other doesn't
Lay off the weed, man.

Alright, I googled it and there are even memes on other SW communities about how similar they look.

Any scans of Friends Like These up yet?

I'm curious about the Mando Human and the statblock for a Raider.

Literally the only similarity is they're both snub fighters with a long nose and short wings.

as said by others, the Nebulon-B may be a reletively small ship, but it can punch well above its size class.

a pair of Nebulon-Bs have the potential to bring down a Star Destroyer.

My AoR group needs to get to Byss in order to destroy the Empires newest project. Now I realize that Byss's location is a well guarded secret. so I was wondering how they might go about finding it's coordinates, any ideas?

For EotE character creation, do you go RAW when it comes to starting cash / equipment or do you do it differently?
What about starting spaceship?

Will the Nebulon B ever see itself in X-wing?
I wouldn't even mind if they scaled it to 1/400 and made it 5 Epic points. I'd buy it on day one and run the shit out of it.

>a pair of Nebulon-Bs have the potential to bring down a Star Destroyer.

My group ran it closer to "mother may I?" with the GM.

I think the T-Wing bears a far stronger resemblance to the viper.

Done it in armada.

that means nothing

Breaking into an ISB complex?
Interrogating a janitor/radar technician that might have worked there?
Put a tracking device on a ship thats bound for that direction?
Apply to an Imperial job posting, work your way up to be shipped off to any "Top Secret" assignments?
Find an information broker in the Hutt underworld?

I'm pretty sure a pair of frigates could take down a VSD I. That thing was just not up to snuff for space combat in the rebellion era.

ISDI, ISDII, or VSDII are probably too much for two frigates, though. Those ships were made to dominate in space combat.

comparing them in armada:
Two Neb-Bs with Spinal armaments pump out 4 red dice each from the front arc
A regular Star Destroyer has 11 hull points and 4,3,3,2 in shield values

Ok, so they won't bring it down in one salvo but if the manage to stick to its ass for a while they can burn away enough to detonate or severely cripple the ISD

Xwing question.

Is the starviper viable, and is it possible to make any fun/thematic lists with it?

It's overcosted, but it's got an amazing dial so you can definitely make it work.

Does anyone have experience playing EotE or the similar rpgs over voice chat? I'm looking to GM my first time with this and I'm wondering if the game mechanics are too difficult when not in person with your players

overcosted. So how to shave points to make it evencosted then?

How bad of an idea is it to give a party a Firespray as their starting ship?

>How bad of an idea is it to give a party a Firespray as their starting ship?
not bad at all if the party likes collecting bounties for a living. I mean its listed AS one of the four starting ships in the EotE core.

It's not a BAD idea, but one pilot, no copilot, no gunners can make it boring for the crew. If they're okay with space combat being a mostly one-man show, then it's fine. There are still things they can do in combat (look for a table titled "Additional Starship and Vehicle Actions"), just not the exciting stuff.

E-Wings are so boring looking.

Wait for a scum aces pack.

Yep, do it all the time. I haven't had any problems. Use a dice roller which calculates the results and it should be too hard to teach. People struggle a little with the symbology but that's not inherent to say, using discord or google hangouts.

Anyone else run their games in a vaguely defined post-Endor time period? The Wookiepedia crew has a potent strain of autism, so I can't stand to go there. In my mind, following the Empire's defeat at Endor, the New Republic was formed with Leia as Chancellor, Han and Leia married, the Imperial Remnant retreated to the Outer Rim under Thrawn and began infighting, and Mandalore remains withdrawn, neutral and badass (the lore with all this darksaber/death watch/Satine/ shit never happened). The Jedi academy is established on Yavin IV and a Sith Cult is established in the Unknown Regions. Rich Vos is playing tonight at the Laugh It Up! Comedy Club (inside Mahooney's Irish Pub and Steakhouse) in Poughkeepsie, tickets start at only $10.

>Mandalore remains withdrawn, neutral and badass

Was cool with it until this part. As much as I hate a lot of the clone wars and rebels stuff including mandos having the mandos as better than thou special snowflake tacticools is why they sucked in late EU

You're thinking of Thunderfighters for Buck Rogers, which were the original Viper design.

And I should be using a dice roller that actually uses the Star Wars dice right? Not the regular dice and try to convert it

It's solid, but definitely overcosted by a bit. Think pre-vets Defenders. Guri is money, very action efficient and good in a mindlink list.

Anybody use the EOTE dice tools for EOTE? I did with a group a long time back and then tried again recently and one of my friends couldn't get it to download when he joined our chat

My group uses game2.ca/eote/#

It doesn't integrate or anything, so the only way to see is like, screen share somehow, but if you can trust players with their rolls you can't trust players with their rolls.

>thou special snowflake tacticools
but but muh boba

It's less trusting my players and more that it saves me time on interpreting the results/crafting the dice pool if I can see it. Thanks for the help though

These are all good ideas.

Sneak aboard a transport going there.
Find and corrupt a researcher.
Use the Force.

>start watching Rebels season 3
>Bendu shows up
>holy shit its kingseeker Frampt
>look his character up
>not voiced by Frampt
>voiced by Tom Baker

holy shit, say what you will about Rebels and Clone Wars, but I fucking love their voice talents

Would it be okay to start off my AoR party A4 (i.e. one-man) Y-Wings instead of S3s (two-man)? Would any significant problems arise from this? I'm running a starfighter-centric campaign with space combat fixes, FYI.

No, McQuarrie also made the final Viper concept.

You are correct, I apologize for my ignorance.

It'd be perfectly fine, little more offensive power but less protective fire.

Is it worth trying to compete in an X-wing regional if I have to drive 3 hours to the closest one?

Not unless you're good enough to win it.

Can't see why not. It does mean the party can do 4 things per round, instead of 2 (effectively), but there are surely some disadvantages to making everyone require pilot skills.

Plus, spare parts and maintenance are going to be killers. Good luck keeping all 4 flying at the same time.

Fuck. ing. Called it.

Sabine for Mandalore! Training montage episode is proof!

>Old lore had Boba Fettasmandalore
>New lore will have Sabine as one

As long as she wont force her changing hair colors and graffitti upon the rest of the Mandalorians i shall be ok with it.

I'd love it if Boba Fett works as a hitman for the Mando opposition. Play up that he's this disgusted outcast pretender, but who Mandos are now desperate, begrudging, or culturally depraved enough to resort to hiring.

The more he reverts to pre-Prequel "Man with No Name" type the better.

Can someone explain the different types of ship-mounted laser weapons to me?

What's the scale here? What's the low end vs the high end?

In general or pertaining to a specific media?

If you want to play a bunch of X-Wing, meet some cool people, and maybe get a shot at some glory, go for it.

In general, sorry. No rules required. I'm just trying to figure out the terminology for weapons systems.

>pre-Prequel "Man with No Name" type the better.
To be fair, he lost his "Man with No Name" in the early EU, then the Prequels further facilitated it while The Clone Wars tried to give some of it back to him.

>Blaster Cannon
Basically an upscaled version of the star wars handheld blaster. Available in full or semi-auto, considered inferior to laser cannons.

>Laser Cannon
Focused light beams combined with charged particles to produce long range, accurate, and incredibly damaging blasts of energy. The number one choice for anti-vehicle and anti-personnel work.

Playing around with Rendar lists. What do you think of this one?
Is Dash too fat?

Dash Rendar [Push the Limit, Heavy Laser Cannon, Assault Missiles, Sabine Wren, Outrider, Engine Upgrade, Ion Bombs] (64)

“Red Ace” [R2-D2, Comm Relay, Integrated Astromech] (36)

>Ion Cannon
Anti-ship stun gun. It won't tear a ship in half, but it'll knock out all its systems.

That's a Mass Driver.

>brain worm episode of TCW
>Anakin believably goes from nice and caring master to backhanding and force choking a prisoner to get them to talk
Holy shit why is a children's cartoon so much better at showing Anakin becoming Vader over the course of 15 minutes than the movies for whom it was their sole purpose managed in ~6 hours?

We haven't been calling the movies shite for years now just because of nothing.

You think that's good? Wait until Mortis.

Because they learned from the mistakes of the prequels

You're right, I'm sorry. Have you got a good image of a vehicle-size blaster cannon in an action pose where it's not hidden inside a TIE or something?

So let me get this straight.

The droid army. Has guns. That have to be loaded manually. And have spent... casings? everywhere.

This is a silly setting.

Besides the reason he turned was Padme that episode has nothing to do with her, as I remember

AFAIK, at least in nucanon (and my chosen canon, teehee) lasers are more or less identical to blasters, with one major difference.

A 'blaster' weapon converts a blaster gas into a plasma by processing it through an XCiter, which uses electricity stored in a power pack (or in the rare case of ship-mounted blasters, from the ship's reactor) to cause the state change.

A laser uses a high-powered laser to cause the state change, which is more expensive and harder to miniaturize, in exchange for better results in terms of plasma output, which leads to more damage and range.

A turbolaser is the same principal, except with an even more powerful laser. Even bigger, even more energy required, et cetera.

A superlaser... you get the idea.

Heavy Battle Armor is practically Mandalorian Armor, right?

The guns on the Naboo Speeders are blasters cannons iirc.

That's the art they use for it, anyway.