Undead Thread Edition

Undead Thread Edition

>What is /awg/?
A thread to talk about minis and games which fall between the cracks. /hwg/ doesn't entertain fantasy (for good reason) and the other threads are locked to very specific games, so this thread isn't tied to a game, or a genre, lets talk about fun wargames.

Any scale, any genre, any company, any minis. Skirmishers welcome. Rules designers welcome.

>Examples of games that qualify
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_miniature_wargames
Mighty Armies, Dragon Rampant, Of Gods and Mortals, Frostgrave, Hordes of the Things, Songs of Blades and Heroes, Freebooter's Fate, Dark Age and anything that doesn't necessarily have a dedicated thread (gorkamundheim).

>Places to get minis
docs.google.com/document/d/1D2DbNJ2mYAUxh5P9Pq9NZqS5tXHGn0i2JhZchEwbA2I/edit?usp=sharing

>The Novice Trove
pastebin.com/viWJ1Yvk

Last Thread
Maybe this time we can actually hit the bump limit before the thread is archived.

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!V99UATLZ!ANYg-JXDTUN1w-5h3ZuNyiUUvTOEiUfcTvC0UIPEFbI
dropbox.com/sh/5n04hmma2bfqbch/AADzZ_mepng4nbL8gL8uEGnja?dl=0
youtube.com/watch?v=jsfGVHAqwMc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Maybe this time we can actually hit the bump limit before the thread is archived.
unlikely. You didn't even put the title in, so nobody is gonna find it.

Yeah, I just managed to find it with 'find in page' but it could have been easier to find for the normals

Its been a while since I've seen any games with interesting takes on undead.

What are some interesting takes? As undead are generally just undead.

Most games take the standard Gothic horror approach to undead. Especially with zombies. Even games where they could be interesting because of how out of place they are just use run of the mill undead, like Nazi zombies in Weird War games.

An interesting take would be something like the old Tomb Kings from WHFB. They look like just Egyptian undead, but the fact that they are autonomous undead that either don't know they are dead, or pissed that they aren't in the afterlife and they list their old lands gives them an interesting take.

Not the guy you were talking to, but I don't really see how any of that makes them special.

Tomb Kings are basically skeletons let by Liches.
So it's not really anything different than the standard D&D stick, just with a different flavor.

As for WWW2 games, the pulpyness is the appeal I guess. Can't think of a way that you could approach it more seriously. Thematically speaking you could give it underpinnings of norse mythology, call them Draugr or whatever, but they are still the same thing.

The only recent example of undead that were interesting to me personally doesn't really make their particular flavor of undeath interesting, but rather their reason for being where they are.
In Frostgrave all the undead roaming the city are basically defunct security or servants.
It's like discussed in countless Veeky Forums threads, but the first time I've seen it used in a published setting.

Oddly enough the one area where I've seen zombies been used least, even though that is where they mythologically would fit in best is with Pirate games set in the Caribbean.

That said I like undead, but I'm having a hard time thinking of a way to make their actual state of undeath somehow feel original.
Deadlands had a few interesting concepts, but that's really all I can think of.

If that's all you look at, then yeah, any large scale undead are going to fall into the DnD schtick. Got to look at the small stuff, like how Tomb Royalty made skeletons better fighters through their sheer royal awesomeness.

And for the pulpy stuff, you can still make it interesting. A shallow aesthetics example, but look up the designs used in the movie Frankenstein's Army and compare it to how things like Konflikt and DUST handled it.

pumb

I have a concept for undeads I'll write down.

A society where your soul gets transferred into small soulstones you hold in your neck all the time. It was tied to you magically when you were born, so when you die, your soul automatically transfers into it. The priesthood is made up by necromancers (which is not considered evil in this setting/country/whatever), and you get buried with your soulstone - and when the time comes, and the king calls for an army, the necromancers wind up the soulstones and your body (or at least what remained of it, usually cleaned before the actual burial, haven't thought about this part too much) wakes from the grave and you get back your free will, it's not under the necromancer's control.
Each city have a large necropolis attached to them (which can be considered as a barrack) where the bodies are stored. Criminal offenses call for "service in the afterlife", where you have to work under the necromancer's influence and commands after your death, usually working on the streets, generally doing shit jobs. Particularly dire offenses call for execution, and work till eternity.
This way the state doesn't need a "standing" (hehe) army, and the citizens don't have to take arms when attacked. After X years of service your soul is set free, and your body cremated.

Not sure if this is viable tho, but had a bit too much free time and came up with this.

Nice idea, but unfortunately GW already does this is a way with the Eldar. Soulstones capture the Eldar souls to stop them getting eaten by Slannesh and can be put into wraithbone constructs to fight. Similar to yours, but as I read it this was all I could think of sorry

Well, that's where I got the idea of soulstones from, and the basis are the same - tried to do the rest different.

Lol no worries. It's really hard trying to come up with something new

But then again, it's the undead! The only good undead is erm a dead undead. Who needs different when they are just moving targets? As long as you blow their brains out (zombies, deadites) or even the trusty chainsaw, (Hail to the King, baby, gotta love some evil dead, it's all good!

For lots of skeletons is the best bet still a box of GW ones and a box of Mantic ones? I don't like the Army of Darkness style skulls on the Mantic skeletons but I have heard the GW box has like 25 skulls in it.

Suggestion:
How about if instead of being forced into service after death criminals have their bodies burnt and their soulstones broken. So when they die they have both the disgrace of never getting to serve their people in their time of need and also the punishment of having their souls connection to the material realm severed (which it seems this society views as a bad thing).
There's nothing wrong with your idea, I just thought this was a little less used than the idea of necromancers repurposing the dead for public works.

Whoever is in charge of the pastebin, please add Rogue Stars to the list

mega.nz/#!V99UATLZ!ANYg-JXDTUN1w-5h3ZuNyiUUvTOEiUfcTvC0UIPEFbI

Rogue Stars doesn't need it's own general

Has anybody bought the Frostgrave barbarians yet? Any thoughts?

Eh, Iunno...giving up their free will seems a bit of a bigger punishment than getting laid to rest, something which is reserved to those who served their country well even in the afterlife.

>miniature game plays like magic the gathering

As much as I love Rogue Stars, I think awg is the best home for it.

In related Rogue Stars news, I introduced some friends to it this weekend. One of these friends made a psionic-gestalt crew, which was basically five cheerleaders supporting a combat monster with a force sword, blink, and teleportation. The crew did pretty well until his opponent got to the cheerleaders.

bump

Seeing as the last RS thread died off after 40 posts, I'm just gonna ask here.

I've been going over the rules for making your own crew.
And I noticed a few things about the themes that seemed weird to me and were not addressed in the FAQ or on Facebook as far as I could tell.

The only theme that grants you access to Intelligence items at all for a single character only during creation is Star Cops.
That means all intelligence items have to be bought during a campaign, right?
Stuff like an Intrusion kit should be a no-brainer for Pirates, Crime Syndicates (as suggested theme for merchants) or even Star Cops.

Pirates notes the Quantum harness specifically as starting gear, but they'd have access to it anyway since it is rated as Military.
It's also rare, which means you're usually allowed to only take one during creation.
Does the explicit mention of Quantum Harness somehow play into that? Are Pirates allowed to take more than one Harness?

Last question is about Cybernetic Enhancements. Unless you are playing a group of Cyborgs the only way to get one is to have your limb blown off?
Sounds a bit restrictive. I'd like to take one to represent traits of bestial race in my crew, but I'll guess I'll have to settle for fast instead of bionic legs.

Nah, the Quantum Harness thing was a misprint.
But yeah, no cybernetics unless you're a cyborg crew OR artificial

Ah, thanks. I must have read over that part.

I was a bit disappointed by how restrictive the themes feel. I mean you can still do most things I guess, but not add as much flavor as I would have liked.
Maybe that's just my impression though, I haven't played a game yet.

You guys kinda make me interested in the game. Do you have any photos of your warbands? Battle reports? Things to keep in mind?

Still trying to figure things out.
There's a battle report on YT though. Channel was called Guerilla Gaming iirc.

My first impression - only from reading the rules though - is that you basically are only supposed to pick one or two traits to characterize your dudes, otherwise you end up with dozens of special rules and exceptions.
The rules are kind of a drag to read cause it's just tables and no fluff to make it a bit of a lighter read.
I almost feel like it's too detailed. In practice you are probably only going to have to deal with a handful of the stuff the book lets you do though.

Basically what I want from a ruleset, when I read it is an overview before I have to read all the possible outcomes on a table and then put the whole thing together myself. Makes reading it a lot easier to digest imo.
That's just a formal complaint though, that is only about how the rules were written and not about the actual rules themselves.

Can't talk about much else yet though, since I haven't figured out how much I want to commit to the game.
I have loads of random odds and ends I could use for the game, but I had this idea for another crew I wanted to get together specifically for the game.

You can access the Facebook group without actually having to signup for Facebook. There's some battle reports and images of warbands. Downside, you might have to input a security code every few pages (at least I do on my mobile) cause Facebook are c#nts

Thanks for the recommendation, the guy who does Guerrilla Gaming convinced me to pick up TNT and Malifaux, he makes great videos. I'll check it out.

I have a Facebook account, so no worries, but usually I trust Veeky Forums more on this. On FB folks are too biased, praising the game endlessly overlooking its faults - same thing with FG, but let's not go into that.

As for related content, have some Bronepehota Lords&Counsellors, a.k.a. the Russian toy makers realisation that 28mm sells well. Whole thing for approx. 16 Euros on eBay.

Does anyone here play Flintloque? What's it play like?

why would the grave have a skeleton on it?
why would the shield have a skeleton on it?

I think the better question is, why is there a giant worm next to a skeleton that clearly has long lost its flesh? It makes no sense.

Shield is vanCarstein heraldry and the tombstone is basically just medieval/gothic architecture.
The school I went to had a few plaques with skulls stuff too, even though that had nothing to do with gavestones at all.
There also was a mosaic of St. Gregor killing a Dragon.

Kromlech has a bunch that are modeled after the GW combat Gauge I think. Lasered from acrylic or mdf.

Ash may be a giant GW fanboy, but he does at least look into other systems all the time.

Yeah, the themes are little bit of a weak point in my opinion. Luckily, it's the theme of the game/author's intent that if you don't like a theme, make your own as fairly as you can.
The FB page is surprisingly decent. Just about every rules question has been personally answered by the author, and enough pictures/reps get posted to make it worthwhile

Anybody have any of the Two Hour Wargames books? I'm especially looking for the Lovecraft one, but anything is good.

Hey fellas, Crusader demofag who was worried about if I'd get in shit for sharing the new AVP:Unleashed wargame beta rules. Well I got the go ahead from the lead designer that yes, I can throw this in peoples faces as much as I like. So here it is again in case anyone missed it last thread.

dropbox.com/sh/5n04hmma2bfqbch/AADzZ_mepng4nbL8gL8uEGnja?dl=0

Have you checked out The Archive?
You'll have to dig around for a while, but I managed to find a heap.

This is the latest version of the army lists, and as such are still in need of tuning, the Predators especially, holy shit on a combi-stick. I've actually got a test game with a friend set up for tomorrow so expect a battle report later tomorrow, I'll also have a draft of a story driven warzone battle report I've been trying to put together, so I'll probably share that too.

Anybody?

Speaking of GW, how many miniature companies can trace their roots back to GW? I know that Warlord was founded by a couple of GW vets.

Warlord, Mantic, I'm not aware any more. Alessio Cavatore who worked for GW (IIRC) wrote Fireforge's Deus Vult, but the guys themselves who made the company had nothing to do with GW.

Wasn't Alternative Armies founded by some GW vets back in the 90s?

I've played a few games. It's okay. Some of the rules are interesting and it's fun, but there is way too much bookkeeping for my tastes and the rules have tonnes of grammar and spelling mistakes. Once you get past that they are a good bit of fun though

I've decided to try and design my own very silly /awg/ project in the vein of rules light theme heavy stuff like Rogue Stars, based on dumb shounen school fightan/JRPG cliche stuff.

The working title is "Don't Be Defeated By Your Friends" and the idea is you have 4-6 characters a side each with some quirks and gimmicks.

Units are 4-6 Students with optionally 0-1 Adults, who count as multiple students because mentors are always OP as fuck.

The main quirk of the system is Friendship, a mechanic where all units can transfer damage to represent motivational speeches and taking a shot meant for your waifu. If you get hit, you can elect to have a nearby model take up to its Friendship stat in damage to reduce the amount the initial target suffers.

I am thinking to deter just bunching everyone up the scenarios will be board control focused - so you might want to send 2-3 guys whose power comes from their bonds to the most contested objective while the loner edgelord sniper takes a different one (because he doesn't have friends, they just slow him down)

Unit "classes" are based on school clubs - bookish students have low defence but good magic and skills, sports club members get movement and fighting skills etc.

It's intentionally cheesy and stupid tonally, but I envision it as a kind of "Osprey version of Anima."

(cont).

I was thinking d12 + Stat vs TN for combat, with stats roughly capped at 0-5 and TNs 9-16.

Stats are Melee, Magic, Range, Defence, HP and Friendship. You get an array to divide up - 3/2/2/1 between Melee, Magic, Range and Defence (your final defence stat based on 10+the value assigned). HP is base 10, Friendship is half HP.

Clubs and traits further modify stats.

So for example (spitballing numbers):

John Doe
MA1 ME3 RA2 DEF12 HP10 FR5

Then he becomes a sports club member for +1 ME or RA and -1 MA

MA0 ME3 RA3 DEF12 HP10 FR5

Finally he gets two different Advances for free, either stats or skills. Sports club members can buy Movement, Melee or Range skills or get 2HP, 1FR, 1DE, 1RA or 1 ME for one Advance. John is a selfless type so he buys +2HP and +1FR, giving him final stats of:

MA0 ME3 RA3 DEF12 HP12 FR7

He's a tough but dim sort who takes punches for the weaker kids but needs a mage to keep him alive.

These are all very early draft ideas, but I want to add some kind of campaign system and points costs for skills, too.

It sounds interesting. Plan minis to go with them too?

I have zero artistic skill so for testing I was going to work with paper discs.

I still have stacks to do - spells, skills, ranges and LOS rules (I like true LOS) and proper campaign stuff.

I am working, admittedly, a lot based on how my nostalgia remembers Mordheim for skills and spells.

That said if I could find "magic school teen" minis it would be great.

>(I like true LOS)
I'd recommend doing it like Warzone. TLOS is all fun and games till you need to decide if the target is visible in the first shooting phase.

Hasslefree does some kids that might work.

How does Warzone do it? I rather like Infinity and Heavy Gear's system of a silhouette stat (or Malifaux's Height)

Tonight I will try and work out magic lores (White/Black/Time magic probably), some basic skill groups probably based a bit on Mordheim and then I'm able to start testing.

I definitely want a Mounted trait you can buy, so you can be That Guy who rides a horse through the window, or a biker chick.

Extend the base of the mini to a cylinder based on its height, and that's where he can be seen - so something like Malifaux if I recall correctly.

Oh, Warlord's/Wargames Factory's survivors also have a kid in them with various firearms.

That is the same as Infinity and Heavy Gear, too.

It works fine, I will steal it.

Of course, while I'm designing this as a hot blooded fightan weeb thing it could probably also work as a generic future gang fight system.

>How does Warzone do it?
Ooh! A question I can answer! Incoming copy/paste.

Every model has a clear view over the whole
battlefield unless something like terrain pieces block
the view. Models up to SZ(3) may obscure line of
sight (LOS) and thus grant cover but they can never
completely block the line of sight (LOS) to a target,
even if the model appears to do so. Terrain pieces, as
well as models of SZ(4) or above, may obscure and
can completely block the LOS to a target.

Models of Size (0) – (2)
Regardless of their pose, soldiers on the battlefield
are constantly moving around, trying their best not
to get shot. Players often use scenic bases or special
poses for their miniatures. Crouching snipers seem
cool until you find out the sniper miniature can’t
actually look over a small wall!
To support this idea, every model has a size-dependent
screen that represents the whole area ‘occupied’ by a
model. If LOS is in doubt, hold the respective screens
directly behind the bases of the models involved. If
you can see the target model´s screen from any point
of your model´s screen, then a LOS is established. Line
of sight is mutual, so if your model can see another,
then so can the other model see yours.

Models of Size (3) and higher
These models represent big monsters or vehicles. As
tanks normally don’t crouch, a screen is not required
so true line of sight may be established. If a smaller
model (using the screen, if necessary) can see any
part of the monster or tank, you have line of sight.
Line of sight is mutual here, too.

To paraphrase, it's true line of sight, but when circumstances are murky, use a profile screen sized for that models size category to determine if it is or isn't in LOS. source Warzone rulebook page 6, size screens are on page 70.

why wouldn't there be?
why wouldn't there be?

Definitely the best system, thanks.

bump

Got my Mantic Enforcers out of their box today, assembled a bunch of them, and with some leftovers I have 1391 points of them for Firefight. Anyone tried it yet from here? It seems Warpath gets all the love, but I'm more confident with lower organizational level games.

Also I should paint more, as only around half of my dudesmen are painted.

I've yet to play. But I'm impressed with both games and the universe. I think Firefight pushes more of my buttons, and I've pointed up my collections and there's a lot. I need to paint but I just don't know what to start. I've got Asterians and Enforcers in my painting area trying to work out colour schemes. The Plague and Forge Father's are shouting to be built and painted. Even the Marauders want in on the action!

I'd hope to Warpath as well.

I started my Enforcers as a Deadzone party but now counted all of them and since 1250 seems to be the standard game size, I think I'm fine. Paint 500 points or something, then 500 for another army and so forth.

I need to add some stuffs to my Enforcers, I got no Peacekeepers, Defenders, could use around 2 more Enforcer squads, maybe a walker or two, and finally their plane which seems fucking awesome. The more I look into this game the more I like it.

I've got a large Enforcer army, without any striders. I really want an interceptor jet. You'll really like the peacekeeper models they're great.

I'm the same, the more I see the more I like!

Have any of the plastics? I only have restic Enforcers and some metal upgrade parts I bought relatively cheaply plus the Pathfinders and jet bikes which are obviously plastic.

Here

This idea seems to be going places. I've hashed out some basic rules, inspired by Frostgrave, A Fistful of Kung Fu and the Mantic Walking Dead game, and now need to sit down and work out weapon tables, skill trees and so on.

I am thinking to keep with the quite freeform nature of JRPG/anime combat boiling weapons down to "2H melee / 1H melee / Light melee" and some combination of "Heavy / Sniper / Rifle / Pistol" ranged.

Spells will be a bit more interesting, as any character with a casting stat gets at least one spell.

I have just realised I forgot to include a section on what happens if a character hits 0HP. I was thinking a system like Infinity, where they can be revived by healing magic or medic skills if they're at 0 (and have a No Wound Incapacitation-style "keep fighting despite being near death because THERE'S OXYGEN IN MY MUSCLES" skill), but if they're coup de graced they're gone for good.

That sounds good. Some skill for sports club members or some bitter kids (goths, emos, whatever) could have an "it will not die" skill that when they hit 0HP, on a succesfull test they gain back a single HP and fight on through sheer willpower or a "fuck everything, I won't go away!" basis.

Here stealing from Infinity works fine, it has two levels of "I'm not dead yet."

Dogged means if you're killed you don't die as long as you have actions left, while No Wound Incapacitation means you just run around on 0 wounds until you're shot again.

In my system I was thinking of changing this to a basic tenacity skill where if a character hits 0HP they may choose to activate one last time and then be removed from play rather than simply be unconscious, and an improved version where you ignore unconsciousness altogether.

I've got restic (early Warpath versions) Deadzone restic and the plastic (Enforcers, Pathfinders, Jetbikes and Peacekeepers) I still like the restic as much as the plastic. In fact the N7-117 newer PVC is really good

The Marionettes for the Asterians are amazing!

I wanted some Asterians too, but budget was tight - maybe later I'll pick up a starter army for them and when they have a nice sale, I'll buy some stuff. Wish they'd use either restic or PVC for anything that's not metal.

Have N7-117, Blaine on jetbike and the Piper still in their KS packet. Shit, I'm slow with these things. I have a /hwg/ related main project now, but will undercoat the rest of my Enforcers tomorrow and do one of them occasionally.

bump

Do it! I had funding trouble with the kickstarter but managed to get a good deal off someone who was clearing out.

I've got that Blaine too. There are many who agree that they should do the PVC instead of metal. The detail is something, and way advanced of their metals.

I just need to get focused on a force and paint it!

What game would you say its most similar too? Also, do you have any experience with the larger scale version of it, Slaughterloo?

I think /hwg/ has Blue Sky Red Sand in its trove.

My only problem with the Guerrilla Gaming RS videos is Ash's opponent comes off as kind of a powergamer.

Game designing user here.

I'm working on equipment lists, and was wondering if people felt I'd missed any obvious weapon types for cliche shounen characters. Bear in mind there's going to be skills on top of these to add more variety in combat:

Simple Weapon (1H): You're not unarmed but it's just a tennis racket, satchel, umbrella or something - removes unarmed penalty.

Hand Weapon (1H): Swords, knives, 2x4s, golf clubs, folding chairs wielded by people who know how to fight. You can choose not to push targets back, allowing them to be locked in melee.

Subdual Weapon (1H): You have a taser/reverse blade sword/truncheon/training sword because you ~won't kill~. You take a -2 to hit, but if you're attacking an unaware target or charging they have to make a save or get knocked out in one strike.

Heavy Weapon (1H or 2H): Big swords, staves, spiked balls on a chain, or just being extremely swole. +1 to hit one handed, +2 to hit two handed

Great Weapon (2H): Even bigger swords, street signs, desks, punching bags etc. You get reach of 1" and +1 to hit.

Polearm (2H): Also includes ladders, if you don't want any trouble, and whips. You get reach of 2".

My aim is in most cases you don't get locked in melee, you should be knocking people into walls, over ledges and so on with your mighty techniques - basically every attack moves the combatants around and with clever use of skills you can turn this into an advantage.

That's a cool concept, user, I like it.

To be completely honest I can't really think of anything that's similar to it off the top of my head. It's D100 based with alternating activation, but models don't take wounds and die until the very end of a turn. Every model has to stay within 30 (I think) cm of its section leader at all times, and if the section leader dies you're in trouble.

I've never played slaughterloo, though

Back again with gunz, again keeping it generic and acknowledging that unless you're an edgelord, operator or tomboy guns aren't great in this type of setting.

Pistols (1H):
Light - 10" range. You can make ranged attacks without a penalty.
Heavy - 10" range, +1 to hit
SMG - 10" range, 2 shots, -1 to hit

Machine Guns (2H)
Light - 15" range, 3 shots at -1 to hit or 2 shots at no penalty, may only fire once a turn
Heavy - 15" range, 3 shots at +1 to hit, requires two actions to fire

Rifles etc (2H):
Shotgun - 10" range, +1 to hit, Blast 1
Assault Rifle: 20" range, 2 shots
Sniper Rifle: 30" range, +2 to hit, requires two actions to fire

Explosives:
Bombs (1H) - 5" range, Blast 2
Grenade Launcher (2H) - 15" range, Blast 3
Missile Launcher (2H) - 25" range, Blast 4, -1 to hit, requires two actions to fire

All Blast weapons push the target that number of inches. If you miss, the defender chooses the direction. If you hit, the attacker chooses.

Blasts only damage the primary target but push anyone within the blast radius. Because seriously when does a bazooka ever stop a hero?

Robot bump

I have started on my last couple of Heavy Gear models making daft duellists.

Like this guy, who dual wields HACs and Pack Guns, here represented by a pair of miniguns Heavyarms style.

Get him within 6" and he can unload a stupid amount of firepower.

I tried to get onto the Dark Osprey mega link, but it said that it wasn't available, is there an alternative link?

That's a lovely robot, man.

Does anybody know of similar miniatures in 15mm to the Ion Age Prydians? I already own a bunch of them and I'd get more variety for my 15mm space knights.

15mm.co.uk have a small selection of 'Galactic Knights' you might like.

Thanks!

It was a lot of fun to build.

In other new v0.2 of DON'T BE DEFEATED BY A FRIEND is now done, now with weapons, armour, the first set of gadgets, and rules for medics.

You can now create an OPERATOR loli with a minigun, kevlar jacket, night vision goggles and smoke to cover her advance, if you really like.

Or a slacker martial artist who don't want any trabble and fights with a ladder.

(also if anyone is wondering where the title comes from it's from this hype as fuck boss theme from Trails of Cold Steel)

youtube.com/watch?v=jsfGVHAqwMc

I've got a battle report to share! Unfortunately I did not remember to bring my camera along with me so I was unable to get pictures, so you'll have to miss out on my unpainted xenomorph infants and predator proxies, boo-hoo.

The forces and mission parameters!

AVP:Unleashed Battle Report
Army List #1 (please include what units and options):
USCM
Major Dutch Schaefer. 110
Colonial Marine Infantry 1: Squad commander w/Motion tracker and Sentry gun, Marine w/Smartgun, Marine w/flame thrower, Marine w/med-kit. 117
Colonial Marine Infantry 2: Squad Commander w/Motion tracker and Sentry gun, Marine w/Smartgun, Marine w/Flame thrower, Marine w/med-kit, 1 extra Marine. 131
Wey-Yu Commandos: 6 Wey-Yu Commandos, 1 commando w/smartgun. 147
Total; 505

Army List #2 (please include what units and options):
Predators with Killers Clan distinction.
Predator Elder: Combi-stick, Plasma Caster. 210
Predator Youngbloods: 2 Youngbloods with combi-sticks. 100
Alien Infants 1: 5 Infants, no mutations. 45
Alien Infants 2: 5 Infants, no mutations. 45
Predator Elite: Power Gauntlet, Plasma Caster. 95
Total; 500
Total Points: 500 points per side.

Mission: The Advanced Base.
Battle line deployment (6 inch zone from the chosen table edge)
Deployment options; Regular, Flank Deployment, Rapid Deployment, Infiltrate, Stalk,
Pre-emptive strike.
Place an objective marker at the central point of the board and scatters it D20/4” randomly for final placement. Then roll for initial initiative as descripted in chapter 3.

MISSION PARAMETER:
Both players are attempting to claim that position as an advanced base. If at the end of any turn 4 or later any player has more than double the amount of models within 8” of the marker than their opponent, they score a major victory (10 MP). If the game ends due to ‘Disengage’, the player with the most units within 8” of the objective marker earns a partial victory (5 MP)

Continued.

The forces you see here are arranged using the Skirmish Offensive Organisation Chart.

Marine player (my friend Nick) won the initial initiative and deployment, infiltrating his Wey-Yu Commandos forward and arranging the marine infantry and Dutch to advance under their cover fire.

My plan was to use the Infant broods to screen my Young Bloods and pin the commandos and marine infantry squads in place to make an easier time for my Elite and Elder to clean them up in close combat and have the Young Bloods secure the objective.

The game went on for 4 turns, 3 of which the marine force were able to hold onto the initiative capitalizing on it by lining up in a solid firing line for 2 turns in which they whittled down my Infant broods as they advanced up the board to several panic checks(all thankfully passed). The Elder and Elite began the game infiltrated ahead of my main force and proceeded to engage the marine forces in their first activations, with the Elder charging, from my right hand side from a ruined building, into melee with the squad of Wey-Yu Commandos who had infiltrated ahead of the main force and were gearing up to lay some serious hurt on my Infants and Young Bloods. The Elite infiltrated into a building ruin on my left just ahead of and to the side of the Wey-Yu Commandos and within range and sight of Marine Squad 2, he engaged the marines after climbing down his ruin and spinning up his plasma caster.

In the initial charge, the Elder managed to take out half the commando unit with a sweep of his combi-stick, sadly the commandos made their morale check and were still in the fight. In return over 2 turns the Elder was worn down almost entirely due to the serrated combat knives of the Commandos. Exploit quality is some serious shit, doesn't matter the weapon, forced rerolls are amazing. By turn 2 I was able to get the surviving Infants of brood 2 into that combat to assist the Elder, the Commandos died much quicker once that happened.

Cont.

The Elite spent this time peppering marine squad 2 with plasma fire and soaking up quite a bit of smart gun and sentry gun fire in return. Though with a bit of clever AP usage I got him behind some LOS blocking ruins and used the predator medkit and gained back a few wounds. Bad choices in target priority later saw the Elite get shot to bits in the bottom of turn 3.

Marine squad 1 advanced through the ground floor of a multi-storied industrial ruin infront of their deployment zone where they set up their sentry gun and dug in to prepare for the Infants and Young Bloods that were halfway up the table(they died horribly later, mind you, lousy Smartguns...). Bottom of turn 3 saw things really go against the predators, with the Elder and Infants cleaning up the surviving Commandos and, for the Elder, getting shot to death at range before his activation. A bad judgement of distance on my part saw the Young Bloods come up just short of making some charges into Marine Squad 1 and tying them up, and them getting shot and burnt to death in return. So ended turn 3, turn 4 saw the end come in a blast of muzzle flare.

Dutch had been making short work of Infant Brood 1 during the game from middle of turn 2 onwards; in turn 3 Dutch had moved up with a run to secure the objective and lay down more fire on the second Infant brood. Marine Squad 1 shifts position and brings to bare their smartgun and sentry turret on the Elder, who promptly caught 2 powershots(a result of a natural 1 on a d20 roll to attack in range or close combat results in an automatic wound with no save or heal/medic roll possible) on his last 2 wounds. Predators wiped to the last, marines secure their new forward base and some of those shifty Wey-Yu jerks bought the farm. Not bad for a day’s hard fighting.

Outcome: Total Victory for the marines (OOH-RAH!).

And there you go, a brief battle report of my game yesterday. I hope that was all coherent enough for you to follow. I must admit, I had my reservations about the predators being OP when I was reading their army list, but they're individually expensive, and still die to weight of fire even despite their fancy gear and special rules. They're very much a finesse army. I'm looking forward to more games of this, and even some crossover battles with my Warzone armies, that'll be pretty fun I reckon.

If anyone's curious, I linked to the beta folder of AVP:Unleashed in this post, check it out, give it a read and try out a game if you'd like.

Quickly read through it. Seems like a functional enough base system (your mods all changing the targets DF is interesting. What made you do that?) on top of an amusingly silly idea, but then when I went to check lethality and maths I immediately got to

3 Starting Melee
+1ME from Sporting Club
+1 Melee from free Sport Advances (if I can take "+1 ME or RA" here despite having it from Sporting Club above.)
2H Heavy Weapon -> +2 to hit
Average d12 roll is a 6.5
The lowest starting DF is 11, but the avg is likely 12, before armor, so I'll use 12.

6.5+3+1+1+2 = 13.5. 13.5-12 = 1.5
I'll cause ~1.5 average damage to an unarmored person from a single attack, when people have 10HP.
For the initial charge you'll do 1 more damage, as it's -1DF on their end. And this is on a dude trying to be as hurty as possible.

Is this correct?

Barely related: double attacks for only -1 to hit is iffy. I'm looking specifically at the SMG. IIRC this game idea was sourced from Rogue Stars and I'd like to comment there, in you're using its Hail of Fire as inspiration: In Rogue Stars, Hail of Fire is probably overpowered and also probably always a good idea to do over everything else...so don't use too much there. Also, can you not dual-fire guns? Like 2 pistols or 2 SMGs? With Operator Lolis, that doesn't seem out of genre.

This game is based off Warzone Res 2.0, isn't it? How closely tied is it to the actual Res 2.0 guys?
I remember some threads back we had plenty of praise for Warzone but it was said that after a while flaws become evident in its design. I only ever played 2 games of Res 2.0 and I saw no glaring errors (in fact it played well enough, despite being slightly irritating having to check mods+fire for every single model), but I'm wondering if you know what Res's problems were, and if this corrects them?

I'm glad to hear predators are finesse-y elite types; that's my favorite kind of army. I'll check it out, if only for the entertainment of reading an AvP wargame.

Also why does Army List #2 include predators AND aliens? What's up with that? It looks to be an ability of "Killers" clan, but does that have any basis in established "lore"?

It appears that Flintloque will be getting a starter kit soon.

Popping in from /gdg/, what is /awg/ thoughts on D12's?

And new painters by the looks of it.

Like, the die?
I think it's fine. Better than d6s, probably. Simply because it allows for a moderate amount of granularity.

It's all about the maths though. I don't really have special attachment to dice types.

We have somebody making a d12 based game in the thread above, as posted here.

It's the same game, Warzone and AVP:U are both using Prodos' W.A.R system.

I'm working on a game that does pools of 3-4 dice and count the successes, with right now D12's and '12' counts as 2 successes. The reason I'm using D12's is because weapons' power increases the chance of 2 successes; a power 2 weapon needs '10+' instead of '12'. The granulation of the numbers help a bit more than something like D10. But I have noticed D10's are a lot more popular now and more plentiful.

>I remember some threads back we had plenty of praise for Warzone but it was said that after a while flaws become evident in its design. I only ever played 2 games of Res 2.0 and I saw no glaring errors (in fact it played well enough, despite being slightly irritating having to check mods+fire for every single model), but I'm wondering if you know what Res's problems were, and if this corrects them?
AVP:U uses the same system as Warzone: Resurrection 2.0, which was a marked improvement over the 1st edition of the game. As for what that fixed, it was a range of things, interactions of the special abilities and cutting down ability bloat in favour of the big list in the book with a scattering of faction and unit specific ones(the game doesn't need 5 different ways of saying infantry squad can get a smoke screen, for example), terrain interactions and cover modifiers being simpler, the removal of the squad special actions and weapon damage types. It was all just streamlining and tightening up the writing and formatting.

>I'm glad to hear predators are finesse-y elite types; that's my favorite kind of army. I'll check it out, if only for the entertainment of reading an AvP wargame.
I'm glad to hear that, the Predators were fun, even with my sloppy play.

>Also why does Army List #2 include predators AND aliens? What's up with that? It looks to be an ability of "Killers" clan, but does that have any basis in established "lore"?
Go into the dropbox link I linked to in the bat rep and have a look at the predators army list, you'll find on special rules and armoury page that there's a selection of Clans that you can assign to your army to gain different bonuses, abilties, and in the Killers case, additional unit choices. As for how backed up by the lore? The Killers and their usage of Xenomorph hunting beasts is well covered in the AVP comic Three Worlds War, published in 2010, it might also be mentioned in some novels, not sure though.

Oh come on, its not like their other work is that ba-