MTG EDH/COMMANDER GENERAL

BAD STUFF EDITION: Do you have pet cards or combos you use even though they're not necessarily the best?

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/i-want-to-get-btfo-by-shatterstorm/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/daxos-steals-your-deck/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/04-01-17-bleed-them-dry/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/doran-best-power-is-toughness/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/nin-the-pain-artist-artifacts-3/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Borborygmos in Xenagod. There are certainly better 7 drops I could play, but Gruul's realest OG is too near and dear to my heart.

SILAS/KRAUM fuck you deck V1.0

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/i-want-to-get-btfo-by-shatterstorm/

it goldfishes well enough, going to proxy it up and see how well it tickles my pickle before I actually go buy a workshop.

Posted this in the last thread at the end and did not get any recommendations since it died so fast.

What basic lands should I use in Hazezon Tamar?

plains, mountains, forests

I meant art wise.

6 Mountains, 7 Forests and 7 Plains

These as a plains, no contest.

These as mountains.
Forests are mainly all the same and boring so maybe something from time spiral or new phyrexia-block

question

let's say one person has like 80 cards in hand, and everybody else's library is less than 80 and they are tapped out and have no responses, then somebody casts windfall

is the game a tie?

or does everybody draw 1 card at a time then the player who had the most cards left in library win?

And forests maybe this?

It's a tie. Players can't win during a spell resolution, only whenever state based actions are checked, which are only checked after every spell or ability triggering and resolving.

In a debate about this with a friend, wondering what /edhg/ thinks

>have an EDH deck that contains a skeleton that could be used with a different commander (land package, basic synergy cards)
>form a 25-card sideboard around a different commander in the same colors
>switch out sideboard with non-skeleton cards to make a new deck and flip back and forth, saving money on having to build the skeleton again
>he says it can't be done without weakening both potential decks

/blog to be sure, but I really like the idea of having an "alternate commander" like the precons sometimes try to do

Here, a forest with a desert and palm trees

Or this one

This is probably over my head as I am but a simple gruul mage, but ghirapur aether grid seems like crap. Does it serve a higher purpose?

ahh okay cool

I'm sure there are have been a lot of decks made that are only 25-ish cards different, if you could compare them all. It could certainly be done. It's probably true that some more changes could improve them separately though unless they are incredibly similar.

As far as I can tell, it's crap.

Also as mountains there's a ton of desert options, like this one for instance.

The plains art suggested here is perfect though

Its all about what cards you're taking out for the skeletons. It's definitely possible to do a skeleton deck that can be sideboarded into a competitive deck.
Skeleton deck will be weak pretty much anyway, since only good skeletons that exist for EDH are Skittles and Reassembling Skeleton. At least they're the only ones I remember.

Thoughts?

>forgetting Champion of Stray Souls, Golgari Grave Troll and motherfuckin Skeleton Ship

At quick glance, it's a combo wincon. If you can constantly untap artifacts, you'll win game instantly.

decent to suspend turn 4, pretty awful otherwise, also not great in multiplayer

Are all the esper lands this aesthetic?

You use it to tap your orb on the last opponents end step so when your turn starts all your shit untaps normally. Additionally with unwinding clock I can steadily burn out the rest of the table under an orb-locked game if other win cons aren't available.

As cool as it is, Skeleton Ship is pretty bad. Grave Troll I forgot, it's a great card. Champion is too janky and expensive to be useful and I rather play something good like Coffin Queen.

I like it in a stax deck if im already saccing stuff. Kind of like a not as good smokestack

The island is also pretty nice, but I feel like swamps got shafted, since they don't have the space web art.
There's maybe two cool arts in Shards, but they don't compare to island and plains.

Skeleton Ship was obviously not a serious addition

Can't be too sure. One guy runs Skeleton Ship EDH in my LGS and is completely serious about it. It's not even a good deck or even thematic aside from the shit tier skeletons he runs.

I'm pretty sure that guy posts here. He's uploaded pictures of his deck before.

Is there an easy way to look up lands that tap for w/u on gatherer?

Oh, Dimir House Guard is good, although you never cast the thing. Skeletal Vampire is usable as well, but there's way better token generators.

Thank you for the ideas, I am certainly going with the khans forest and Esper plains that were brought up.

The mountain that was suggested was alright, but it doesn't quite go with the plains and the forests.

Mana symbols on the gatherer are written with {} so if for WU you want lands with text that contains {W}{U}
You'll get a couple colorless produces with costs but eh, beggars and choosers and such

Nah, not him, I know the guy you talk about and his deck is worth probably way over 1k, but the guy I talk about has his decks filled with draft chaff.
The guy used to run Urbis Protector in his Aurelia tokens deck without any way to get more value out of it and he treated it as his most powerful card in the deck. His decks have improved since then, but he still can't really play.

That looks great. I might have to get those for breya.

On an off note how does queen marchesa work in edh or do you just play her for the colors?

Oh. Ooh. That's fucking gross.

I'd say that she's most versatile Mardy commander. I feel like she's best because of it, since others are just screaming being built around or then are just bad. She works well with many strategies and isn't as newbie bait like Kaalia or Zurgo, so my vote goes for her.

What direction should I take Karona, False God in? Pillowfort/voltron. Make myself unable to be attacked while making everyone swing at others with Karona for me?

Will most likely be building this Daxos deck next. What do you guys think?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/daxos-steals-your-deck/

Either that (admittedly) entertaining idea, Group Hug or Chaos.

>want to buy new cards
>dont know what to buy

Looks pretty great! Very annoying, but fun to play. And not entirely durdle. Keep up the good work.

how about you take your copy of karona, the false god, shave down the sides until one corner is really sharp, then stab yourself in the eyeballs repeatedly

better than playing with karona

jus playin jus playing, you definitely want to do the pillowfort thing, only way to play karona besides not casting her

aether revolt has a bunch of good ones

or the most common way, which is to use her as a one-time anthem effect for a token army and alpha striking

i already have a box of aether revolt in the mail, it gets here tomorrow

>spent all day today building a low-power Yahenni weenies and spot removal deck to show a new player how to play
>I need to build a complementary deck for it to play against
>the choices are: Sram, Kari Zev, and Rishkar
>but I still don't know what general strategy would be comparable and equally balanced to weenies and spot removal
Any suggestions? I just want to make sure he can choose between two low-power decks that are more-or-less the same strength, and have a fairly linear progression for upgrades.

is that really the most common way? i feel like ive at least seen the "all the vows, assault suit, angel's trumpet, solitary confinement" meme a few times

all your tokens need to be the same type for karona to buff them all, and they dont even get trample :(

My orders
>foil Disallow, €4
>foil Efficient construction €0.25
>foil Hidden Stockpile €0.5
>foil Scrap Trawler €1
>foil Treasure Keeper €0.7
>foil Trophy Mage €2
>foil Whir of Invention €3
>foil Universal Solvent €0.15

Gon b good

I never ramp as fast as other decks. What primo ramp I should be running?

Color doesn't really matter, I just always have 8 lands when other people have double.

Most of what I've seen is just goodstuff that plays Karona when they have +10 tokens of the same thing on board

idk why baral is not an option, but rishkar seems fair vs yahenni

going semi-wide with +1/+1 counter creatures seems like not too strong, but also not blown out hard by yahenni spot removal

if you go with sram, then its unfun because pro-black or hexproof or whatever equip/auras will be shitty for the low-power black deck to fight, and any other equipment/auras will get blown out by spot removal from yahenni

kari zev is a cool aggro card for cube or standard but doesnt seem like she's built for edh

Depends, do you want artifacts that produce mana, or just lots of lands?

Anyways, I build decks with around 10 things to ramp with. Prioritize things that put multiple lands onto the battlefield untapped, like Harrow or Primal Growth, followed by fancy rocks like Gilded Lotus Thran Dynamo or Sol ring, followed by things that put basics onto the field tapped, like burnished hart and explosive vegetation, followed by normal boring rocks/ramp cards like rampant growth/mind stone.

It's usually lands. The mayael deck I frequently run up against seems to have tons of lands by t8.

I rarely see ramp with rocks.

Hey, /edh/, I have a problem.

I want to make a mono-color deck for each of the legendary creatures printed in Aether Revolt. My one stumbling block is probably Kari Zev.

Sram wants to play little things and make them bigger, whether that's through equipment, auras, or making them crew vehicles. That's easy.

Baral is counterspells.dec. Sure.

Yahenni is boardwipes and voltron, probably.

Rishkar is green deck wins. Little dudes, +1/+1 counters, and big dudes.

What the fuck do I do with Kari Zev? Do I go full norin the wary style if norin could actually attack?

>idk why baral is not an option
Because I opened a booster box and didn't crack one. Also, Baral is clearly the best choice, and I don't particularly want to build blue counterspells for him until he at least gets his feet wet.

I could build Rishkar pretty well, since my spicy +1/+1 tech is hanging out in Ghave, and I think things could be pretty balanced, particularly since Yahenni already has a deathtouch matters subtheme.

I was going to build Kari Zev Dragons, with the intent of upgrading it into either Grenzo, Havoc Raiser if he likes going wide, or Feldon looting effects, if he's into the big red nonsense. Rishkar seems powerful, but not quite as flashy as the monoblack demon nonsense I've thrown together. Also, Yahenni is running Grave Pact, and I have a necropotence/koskun falls just itching to get thrown into that deck.

rocks ramp you even faster than lands, but you are weak to vandalblast

you can show up your friends shit by playing a bunch of mana rocks with the new paradox engine and ramp so fast they wont believe their eyes

Just make a Purphuros/Impact Tremors deck.
Kari is really, really underwhelming as far as EDH is concerned.

I think you're confused. I was literally telling you examples of quality ramp cards and their various tiers of usefulness.

Decks that need good mana fixing tend to enjoy things that fish basics, whereas an artifact subtheme is incredibly powerful/rampy for a mono coloured deck.

Only Sram was made with commander in mind the. The others just feel so phoned in or made for limited.

Kaladesh and Aether Revolt honestly felt like a core set with the generic mono colored legends and the Gear Hulk Cycle.

I'm looking to build Numot bully tribal. Counters, land destruction, board wipes, the works.

I need some help. I don't play blue or white (I'm a gruul guy), and I have no idea how to actually win with this method. What are some good wincons that aren't too cheesy?

And while we're at it, any cool stuff that I should use with this guy?

IMO the five feel like they'd be halfway-decent commanders, except for Kari Zev. It's like running a 2 mana 3/4 first strike menace as a commander.

Green, Black, and Blue legends just seem to be doing more of what you would expect from mono colored generals.

I mean it is an improvement over Origins for sure, but not like the slam dunk of M15.

>It's like running a 2 mana 3/4 first strike menace as a commander.
That's pretty powerful in general user. Just build Voltron with her and laugh as you rake in the butthurt. You have a few free hits with her on most decks, I don't think it'll take very much to make her a pain in the ass.

If anyone's got any suggestions for my Kambal deck, I'd love to hear them. Everything on my Maybeboard is on order, but I'm down for other ideas. Anything that's too expensive...more than five or six bucks...will have to wait, but I'm down to consider anything.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/04-01-17-bleed-them-dry/

>Purphoros
>Warstorm Surge
>Impact Tremors
>Sai of the Shinobi
>Stormrider Rig
>Sword of the Paruns(eq Kari Zev)
>darksteel plate(eq kari zev)
>goblin bombardment

>okay, i attack you with Kari
>Ragavan enters, a bunch of shit triggers.
>Purph for 2
>Tremors for 1
>Sai & Stormrider equip to Ragavan
>Surge for 6, monkey's swinging at you
>end of combat, resp to ragavan's exile trigger
>i sac him to goblin bombardment to deal 1 more damage

You already have greed and erebos but you might as well turn all the extra life you are getting into further value by playing Phyrexian Arena.

It's expensive but you are playing the tax man so consider land tax, both because it is a pretty sweet card, and because it fits thematically.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/doran-best-power-is-toughness/
I worked pretty hard on making this both decent and relatively cheap, what do you think?
I really want to build a Sapling of Colfenor deck now
Fuck you lands are expensive

Exquisite Blood and Sanguine Bond instantly kills the whole table as soon as someone else loses any life but I don't know if you want to be that rude. I think a few combos do that now but that's the one my friend used to piss us off with.

Run mana rocks out the ass.

Training Grounds
Give your commander Double strike.
Destroy 4 target lands for RR. Kill their basic lands.

Tutor up your land destruction with blue.

Back to Basics comes out early and will lock out most 3 color decks out hard. Tutor it out with white.

I forgot Hero's Blade and Ronin Warclub.

>surge for 10, swing for 10

Land Tax is absolutely on 'someday' list. Phyrexian Arena's not a bad idea, either.

Never cared for instant win combos. I took Curiosity out of my Niv-Mizzet deck, for example. It's just not satisfying.

Blood Reckoning is like an extra Hissing Miasma.
Get Wound Reflection out of that Maybeboard and into the deck, it adds up fast.
Archangel of Thune.

Why is Spike Weaver like $16 now? I want to get one for my deck but it seems too expensive

Looks like the spike kicked in over the last couple months, so my guess is Atraxa.

>$16
No need to lie
>it's actually $16
I thought I was getting ripped off when I paid $4 for it. As for why, Atraxa and Ghave.

Atraxa. You basically get to fog for the entire game if you have enough proliferate triggers.

Plus super-friends players have more money than they know what to do with so retailers can just "spike" the price up with little draw backs.

I doubt I'll have the cash for Archangel anytime soon, but consider it considered. Blood Reckoning...I might actually have. I'll need to check the Box.

Wound Reflection is already a lock and on order. Thanks!

>Had Daretti at launch.
>Decided it's time for Blue/Red Artifacts. Pick Nin. Stick with her.
>Begin to lose interest in artifacts in general
>Breya comes out. Bought deck but don't want to cram 2 more colors and I'm already using an Ashnod's Altar combo elsewhere.
>Aether Revolt comes out, lots of stuff for Nin.
>Play it today. It doesn't feel fun to play anymore.

I'm honestly thinking about just scrapping it entirely and making Arcum Daggson or Memnarch. Most of my list is blue anyway.
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/nin-the-pain-artist-artifacts-3/ If anyone is curious.

Also, I'm thinking about Arjun as a Izzet Commander in Nin's place. How fun is the deck? Do I have to have a huge artifact package or can I do spellslinger?

Except a 3/4 first striker only needs 7 hits to win. Kari needs 13-14, assuming they do nothing to stop her or the monkey.

yeah, that's part of the problem.

Not my area, but I have a buddy who plays Arjun a lot, so I have a bit of an idea from being on the receiving end.
I'd highly recommend a lot of mana rocks. They're cheap enough that you can use them for easy cycling and the extra mana comes in really handy for those hands where you have a thing you want to play and then an instant you also really want to play. That said, I wouldn't say they're necessary, but they sure are really nice.
Arjun's biggest flaw is sputtering out. You need some extra card draw in there. Deep Anal and Think Twice are especially useful. Wheel effects also work wonders.
Diviner's Wand can kill somebody out of nowhere.
Thought Reflection and Alhammaret's Archive will enable you to go crazy, but there is such a thing as too crazy and I've seen my buddy lose games because he didn't do enough math beforehand and locked himself out of casting anything.
Dream Halls will let you go ham without having to worry about mana, but it'll make your hand size issues much more severe.
Leyline of Anticipation and Vedalken Orrery are crucial to the deck. Sometimes you draw two pieces you really need and you're not playing them both without flash.
No elaborate combos unless they're permanent-based. You don't get to sculpt your hand into a game-winning masterpiece with Arjun. You get a hand, pick one thing, and then get a new hand. Everything needs to be able to work with minimal support.

what's a fun, cheap commander I can run using Extraplanar Lens I got from my prerelease?
Mono-something seems like the obvious choice, but are there any commanders than cost hybrid mana?

Maga, Traitor to Mortals.

Archangel Avacyn can be run using mostly white spells, but is technically a boros commander.

desu i'd go for Gonti, Lord of Luxury, though. Big Black Mana steal your shit tribal is really fun to play.

seems like fun
gonti is a cool card indeed.

how's bounce for black commander though? I take it you want these effects more than once.
or is the commander tax "enough"?

You're mono-black, you figure it out.

Roundabout.
The simplest way is Cloudstone Curio.
Alternatively, there are tons of ways in black to sac or kill your creature and tons of ways to get creatures from your graveyard to your hand. The problem is that this requires running a bunch of Disentomb effects, which range from passable to kinda bad.

In my deck, I run the following colorless bounce-related things:
>conjurer's closet
>cloudstone curio
>erratic portal
>panharmonicon
>blade of selves(you get at least one trigger for each opponent you aren't attacking, just sacrifice the copies)
>minion reflector

There's also a few other things I run that synergize really well:

>rescue from the underworld
>undying evil(this is spicy tech)

You can also run other creatures with ETBs to abuse those in turn.

>Rune-scarred demon
>Gray Merchant of Asphodel

Black mana doublers are almost necessary. With enough of these, you can threaten to cast gonti off of any attack in your direction and they won't be able to do jack shit about it besides get rid of him(which just lets you recast him)

>Caged sun
>*Extraplanar lens*cabal coffers
>thespian's stage(to copy cabal coffers)
>crypt ghast(or nirkana revenant, or both if you have them / the money for them)
>magus of the coffers

Also, I run more steal-your-shit effects:
>Hedonist's Trove (and a chromatic lantern)
>praetor's grasp
>sadistic sacrament
>sepulchral primordial
>beacon of unrest

As a win condition(besides stealing people's stuff):

>gray merchant bouncing
>sadistic sacrament
>exsanguinate(you're playing big black mana)
>exquisite blood / sanguine bond combo

Stealing other people's cards is great, because it helps you disrupt other people's strategies while bolstering your own. Nobody expects mono-black to be holding up cryptic command, mana drain, return to dust, etc.

This is very helpful. Thanks. I would assume he would run Lab Maniac in there now when he draws 50 cards?

Tried it, does nothing unfortunately by the time it gets out

this sounds hella fun. i'll be sure to write all of it down
I'll make sure my Gonti gets to work instead of lying in the closet.

You just need to stuff him in a different closet.

Oh, that's been in there from the start, his main plan is to Enter the Infinite and then win with it. Sure, he's hoping to see it when he goes ham, but you know, sometimes it just doesn't show up.
Or I exile it.
Oh, right, if you're going to use Enter the Infinite, make sure you have backup wincons. Screwing him out of a Maniac win has caused him to add Library of Leng and Fateful Showdown, which kills me much more often than I'd like to admit.

here's a closet of a different type for abusing ETB/LTBs, although i cut it from my kokusho for being too slow and drawing too much hate

i think bouncing gonti is pretty low value a lot of time (especially if you do it with stuff like erratic portal) but i guess it's fun so whatever

also unrelated, i really hate planeswalkers, but i can't quite explain why. can someone explain to me why i hate planeswalkers? i think it's got something do with them being these immediate threats that need to be taken care of right away (which isn't sometimes even possible) or they ball out of control and win the game, but i'm not sure

Just want to point out that the Alara Plains got mass bought about a month ago. Those cards are about 1.50 each. Careful on who you're buying it from.

M13 has some allstars as well. Krenko, Odrec 1.0, talrand, Nerafox, and the flash elf girl are very usable, with only green not having a built in strategy for victory