/ysg/- Yog-Sothothery General

/ysg/- Yog-Sothothery General

Thread to discuss Lovecraftian Veeky Forums (like Delta Green and CoC) as well as Lovecraft's works for inspiration and everything fucking else.

>Previous Thread:
>The Texts of Lore that Men were not meant to know:
yog-sothoth.com/articles.html
>for finding local players
eldritchdark.com
hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/

>PDF Archive:

>Call of Cthulhu
mediafire.com/folder/h9qjka0i4e75t/Call_Of_Cthulhu

>Atchung! Cthulhu
mega.nz/#F!ywcHkIAA!ycphEhCOkbnjOvAQ4t7TBg

>Pulp Cthulhu
mega.nz/#!L9EFWSIT!o6clZxfdrVSOLkmcQz3wQ2Af9-hKsUxKc7214VynuY4

>AM1200
vimeo.com/102372269

>Recommend stuff to put in the next OP
>Can we actually have some discussion about shit that matters
>The threads are gonna die with

Haven't seen one of these in a while

I recently realised something.

For an atheist, a truly benevolent God is a cosmic horror.

OP is a champ, he's reposted the general 3 or 4 times in the last few days even though it doesn't survive very long. Good work OP

indeed

Which of these links is meant for finding local players?

'He's dreaming now,' said Tweedledee: 'and what do you think he's dreaming about?'
Alice said 'Nobody can guess that.'
'Why, about you!' Tweedledee exclaimed, clapping his hands triumphantly. 'And if he left off dreaming about you, where do you suppose you'd be?'
'Where I am now, of course,' said Alice.
'Not you!' Tweedledee retorted contemptuously. 'You'd be nowhere. Why, you're only a sort of thing in his dream!'
'If that there King was to wake,' added Tweedledum, 'you'd go out— bang!—just like a candle!'
'I shouldn't!' Alice exclaimed indignantly. 'Besides, if I'm only a sort of thing in his dream, what are you, I should like to know?'
'Ditto,' said Tweedledum.
'Ditto, ditto!' cried Tweedledee.

reminder that Azathoth appear in Alice Through the Looking Glass

yog-sothoth.com

probably true, cosmic horror merely has to make you realise that the model of reality you rely on to make sense of the world is incorrect

...and atheists are s'posed to be the reasonable ones......oi vey.....Just goes to show: belief is belief, faith is faith, and there is no such thing as an open mind............................

>awesome find!
Reminder, though, that Carroll was influenced by the same upanishads and vedas that Lovecraft was.

the conversation continues to be weird

He shouted this so loud that Alice couldn't help saying 'Hush! You'll be waking him, I'm afraid, if you make so much noise.'
'Well, it's no use your talking about waking him,' said Tweedledum, 'when you're only one of the things in his dream. You know very well you're not real.'
'I am real!' said Alice, and began to cry.
'You won't make yourself a bit realer by crying,' Tweedledee remarked: 'there's nothing to cry about.'
'If I wasn't real,' Alice said—half laughing through her tears, it all seemed so ridiculous—'I shouldn't be able to cry.'
'I hope you don't suppose those are real tears?' Tweedledum interrupted in a tone of great contempt.

Huh, the tone and words of tweedle-dee and -dum sound awfully familiar...autistically, trollishly familiar.......you don't suppose he was also prophetically speaking about a certain chan plagued with cancer??

Tweedle's Dum and Dee were pretty trollish, people like that have always existed, the internet just gives them a megaphone

>OP is a champ, he posts the same thread over and over again, even though there's not enough interest to keep even one of them alive

"champ" isn't the word I'd use

i just started 3 threads ago, some other guy ran it before that.

How much do current religions have an impact in your games? As in, Atheist, Christian, Muslim, Sikh etc.

Does it ever become a part of the characters personality?

if you've ever tried to get a general going, you'd know that it takes a while before a community forms around it. they don't become self-sufficient unless you put the work in

Yes.
I encourage it actually.
I had a player who was a full-blooded Catholic during HotOE. He played it straight and has he chocked up insanities he started to merge his faith with the Cthulhu Mythos so that they wouldnt class.

In the end he had created an entirely new bible filled with tales of skinning humans, underground civilizations and the Skinless Satan he was fighting. When he died another of the investigators picked up the religion to maintain their own sanity and kept preaching the word.

Believers can't cast spells unless they revoke their religious beliefs (not really a system thing, but if they're a clergy member they'll get a delayed credit rating hit until they change professions)

I don't have any good ideas for non-believers, I tried giving them penalty die until they concede their skeptic's viewpoint but when you fuck with rolls like that players turn on a dime and their personal narratives get contorted and fucked up

Another way to go with it is to take science and make it horrifying.
If they champion the unified field theory give them proof that Yog-Sothoth is the sentient representation of space-time and the unified field. Let them learn that the laws of physics have it in for mankind and are actively working against them.

Or provide them with a realization that only by believing in religion can people survive/prosper. Make it, so the Hadron Collider only works if you pray to Azathoth or that Cthulhu is a psychic singularity caused by people's focus on science and only returning to the "New Dark Age" will put him to sleep.

fair 'nuff!
So, to keep the sothothery yoggin' - favorite lovecraftian flicks?
Dagon
The Thing/Prince of Darkness/Mouth of Madness
Cast a Deadly Spell

dang user

Fucking beautiful - I smell a big bad cult in the making...good on your players.

indeed