/5eg/ Filth Edition General

> Latest News
> New Unearthed Arcana: Rangers and Rogues
media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/2017_01_UA_RangerRogue_0117JCMM.pdf
> Don't forget to rate the Artificer in the official survey:
sgiz.mobi/s3/9c17dda91a1d

Next UA will be out on the 30th, not the 23rd. Source: twitter.com/Wizards_DnD/status/822537176529432577

> Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

> Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

> /5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

> 5etools
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

What's the last creature your character, not your party, killed ? Can you really say they had it coming ?

A bunch of fish men who were trying to escape with their commander's corpse after failing to set off a WMD in our FOB. It's pretty much Nam so yeah they deserved it.

>What's the last creature your character, not your party, killed ?
One of the party members. I'm the DM.

My DM is cool and let's us use some of the UA. I rolled for stats and got a 3, the rest of my stats are pretty solid. Can I run a Kensei path monk using a greatsword as one of my Kensei weapons? It seems retarded, but if it works RAW then I'm all in. (DM allows unarmed strikes if we have both handsides occupied).

I killed a little girl so she wouldn't come back to fuck us over and kill my character's family. She was a level 5 bard so she had the potential to come back and fuck us over.
I had to protect my family goddamn it.

3 going into STR as a dump stat

>What's the last creature your character, not your party, killed ? Can you really say they had it coming ?

Define 'not your party'. My guy dealt the killing blow to a hag who was charming a local lord to inspire war with a drow city.

She had it coming.

> (DM allows unarmed strikes if we have both handsides occupied).
You can already do that RAW, you can headbutt/bite/elbow/kick/booty bump enemies even if your hands are full.

So.... since mystic power is invisible. What stoping them from running around and murdering people left and right? What about subtle spell sorcerer casting fireball in town square?

So in this edition, are lamia snake people or weird bug hives in dead fae?

Honestly, I don't remember when I've played the last time.

>"Where did that fireball come from?"
>"I don't know, so let's just arrest that guy with dragon scales, that guy who's a vibrant shade of blue, and that guy who has swirling gusts of elemental air around them."

So basically the thing that's stopping them is profiling.

Wow Sorcerers and Warlocks being shoved aside for more Wizard support again.

What are you talking about?

2 new wizard schools released today. skipped right over warlock and sorcerer in the pattern.

Tell me your race+class+archtype and character concept, I'll tell you what custom item I'd give you as your DM.

Human fighter, eldritch knight.
Warrior captured by desert lamia to be a slave, makes a bargain with a fiend to get out of this slavery business. Eventually want to multiclass into warlock.

Post link? I can't find it for some reason

Half-Elf Paladin who have taken Oath of the Ancients. Taken into knightly order as a page after his mother paid for it with the last of her inheritance. He now travel the world as knight-errant protecting does who can't protect themselves, frees the oppressed, strikes down pride with mockery and starts rebellions as true follower of Tymora.

Tiefling devotion paladin. Originally wanted to be the greatest knight to ever live, now stuck serving highly morally ambiguous lords whom she can't betray and doing highly morally ambiguous dirty work for them. All because oaths of loyalty were sworn.

The fiend patron makes your slave collar impossible to remove and infuses it with magic. It causes you discomfort, but not enough to have a mechanical effect.

You can either use Intelligence for warlock abilities or Charisma for EK casting.

I have no idea about deities outside of Eberron, so I'm not sure how well the idea fits. The knight you squired for returned an heirloom to you that your mother used to pay your way. You know Vicious Mockery, and you may cast it as a bonus action after taking the Attack action.

A mysterious signet ring made of a whitish metal with a red face. You cast your racial Hellish Rebuke at a level equal to your proficiency bonus, and you can cast it proficiency bonus times per day before you need a long rest.

The ring is linked to an archdevil and will start trying to influence you the more you use its effects.

I believe my last kill was on an enemy soldier using shocking grasp, but I vaguely recall just knocking him out. My last confirmed kill that I can recall was the final encounter in a pathfinder campaign against a goblin who'd become champion of Amadeus in his pursuit of revenge on us whom I cut in half with a sythe

I like it. Thank you.

Hey, Fiona, whatcha doin'?

Neither, they are lion centaurs.

I'm building a charlatan fiendlock that focuses on eldritch blast for his primary damage spell and uses the rest of his spells for utility and debuffing. I wanted some advice on picking a starting feat for him and a pact for him to grab at level 3. I was thinking about picking up chainpact since it'll probably be a short campaign.

The goddess of good luck and fortune aka the one goddess every adventurer prays to.
Item is awesome, thank you

My Plague Doctor Artificer and his Mecha-Vulture divebombed a Neogi slaver in the middle of rounding up some random folks. It was totally metal

Is it possible to be a succubus summoner as opposed to being an angel summoner?

Because it's not true. We're not even getting one this week. No UA until the 30th.

I'm playing a Wild Magic Sorcerer but I want to focus mainly on control spells instead of just throwing fireballs and shit, very new to d&d/5e, what can I do that's entertaining?
I've just hit level 3

Is this confirmed somewhere?

Human Artificier alchemist conman. Grew up as a city urchin. Feels bad about selling a phoney panacea to a dying lord whose daughter ended up orphaned and is trying to turn himself around.

The only fiend summoning spells are the one's for demons in Old Black Magic UA. I think the lack of a Conjure Fiend spell that is on par with Conjure Celestial or Fey is an over sight caused by Chris Perkins only ever wanting people to play good characters.

Curious as to what happened to the homebrew link? Did it die or get pulled for a particular reason?

Also, curious to see if anyone has any balanced homebrewed Thri-kreen.

I just want all the world to have delicious cherry waifus, man.

This more or less.
If you play the psychic who dresses in completely normal clothes for the setting then you can mind bullets freely.

A locket with an image of an unknown father and daughter inside it. Each die of your Healing Draught cannot roll below your proficiency bonus. The item is cursed, and you have disadvantage on all attack rolls, saving throws, and ability checks while holding money earned from selling your alchemical concoctions. The curse can only be removed by a Wish spell or be taking actions to atone for your misdeeds.

Made a new version of my shadow paladin. Comments/criticism would be awesome.

It sounds pretty cool.

This guy here again. I just realized there's a specific 5e homebrew general.

Should I keep my content off of /5eg/ while that's up, or does it even matter?

Ooh, that's fiendish, I love it. Would the curse even apply to legitimate medicines and potions sold?

Kor fighter-gunslinger (the Mercer one), he's a mercenary who has effectively no morals and aims only to get the job done no matter what that may entail. Off mission he mostly aims to improve his gear to make himself better able to accomplish missions.

Yes, but if you gave them away, there would be no consequence. Helping people for the sake of it could be part of the atonement, but the fact that atonement could remove the curse or what actions would count as atonement would never be explicitly told to you. It's celestial item meant to judge your change in character.

Homebrew I'm not familiar with and "murderhobo" don't give me much inspiration. Kor seem cool but I'm not familiar enough with anything in MTG after OG Mirrodin block.

Give me a little more to work with.

lets see stuff that I dont like:
This is paladin not warlock. All they need is oath and ideal to believe in not fucking patrons.
Both channel divinity are good and one of them is save or die.
Level 3 feature that replaces your smite with of element that almost no one resist ? And no other oath gets this feature?
Level 7 is cool
Level 15 doesnt really fit the the oath but its cool
Level 20 so you upheld your Obfuscation tenet by turning into big fucking monster that people run away in fear from?

If you're asking for critique, posting it here is fine enough.

12 year old human Kensei (UA) monk. Has 3 STR (hence why it's a child). Kicked out of a monastery, Temple of the Dragon Egg (playing tyranny of dragons), for embracing a hedonistic lifestyle of drinking and eating.

Not sure but iirc the old mega trove and dm guild got taken down, mega user reuploaded once or twice and it got taken down again so he created the 5e tools and only the mega trove ended up begin reuploaded.

>I am just copy pasting I ain't got to explain shit.

Artificer, human, alchemist. Obsession with finding uses for different pieces of dead monster and in particular cooking them. Kind of socially inept, thinks wizards are too full of themselves. Prefers non-lethal combat methods and less physical approaches, reminds me far too much of Singed from that one game now given the 'alchemist with a shield that throws adhesives and such' around.

Has athlete feat for
>5ft to stand up
So they can blast themselves with thunderstone freely. Haphazard.

How does one add to the 5e tools?

I have a choice between light cleric and forge cleric. Race is locked on hill dwarf. Wat do, Veeky Forums?

>This is paladin not warlock. All they need is oath and ideal to believe in not fucking patrons.

I used the term "patron" as a more divine-neutral term for who this Oath might serve. You could make this Oath to serve as a knight for Strahd, for example, and Strahd isn't quite a god just yet.

And yeah, I'm aware all you need to be a paladin is belief in an ideal. The default assumption seems to be that MOST paladins have gods, though.

>Both channel divinity are good and one of them is save or die.

There's no save component to Death Whisper, though. I set it up to do scaling damage similar to Blinding Smite, though functioning off of CD instead of with a spell slot.

>Level 3 feature that replaces your smite with of element that almost no one resist ? And no other oath gets this feature?

True, but the alternative is being a shadow paladin that does radiant damage, so either way it's gonna be weird as shit. I figure this is the least of two evils.

Consider also how few things resist radiant, while how many resist necrotic or psychic. Giving the choice between the two as a 3rd level feature is intended to replicate how non-resisted radiant is, while still allowing for situations in which the smite's damage CAN be resisted.

>Level 15 doesnt really fit the the oath but its cool

I think I get what you're saying, because this Oath is trying to be both a shadow assassin sort of deal AND a paladin, and Umbral Jaunt gravitates towards the latter more than the former, but I'm not sure how I'd make it better than it is. How should I modify this?

>Level 20 so you upheld your Obfuscation tenet by turning into big fucking monster that people run away in fear from?

Good point. Considering it inherently hides your identity, though, you might be able to get a pass.

Forge Cleric, up that dex. Dex is more useful for forging, after all. Smith the fucking world.

If you want to go LG spellcaster-paladin Moradin style, maybe light would work.

Human Moon Druid, starting out with the Keen Mind feat. Backstory is that her grove was destroyed by a Red Dragon, and she still bears the scars on her arm. Not very optimized but she's a Moon Druid so she can roll with the changes.

You don't.

When mega user comes down from the higher planes you may ask him what it is it that you want.

>Has athlete feat for
>5ft to stand up
>So they can blast themselves with thunderstone freely. Haphazard.

Huh, clever idea. Friend of mine plans to make an Artificer for my next game. I'll suggest that, she'll like the sounds of it.

The archetype is pretty vanilla, it's a port of the pathfinder gunslinger so it's basically just a fighter that uses guns (the only really special thing is that they're kind of fueled by luck, burning grit to get advantage or to take trick shots and getting it back on crits or kills). Otherwise the character isn't so much a murder hobo as a merc who was raised in the life and does whatever it takes to survive in a field where failure almost certainly means death whether you were hired to kill or to protect. The Kor are a nomadic race that usually spend their lives on an unending pilgrimage to their three gods (in MTG the gods turn out to be based on stories of the eldrazi titans, eldritch abominations which exist to wipe everything from existence).

A normally unremarkable-looking magic robe. When you attune to it, your waistline slowly expands and you're always hungry. An interior pocket has a small flask that refills with a shot of rum each time you take a short or long rest. You can use a bonus action to drink from the flask. If you do, you must make a DC 15 Constitution saving throw. If you fail the saving throw, you're stunned until the start of your next turn. If you pass the saving throw, you may roll a die equal to your Martial Arts die and add your proficiency bonus. You regain that many expended ki points.

When you reduce an enemy to 0 hit points, a giant-language rune appears on the back that means "gluttony."

The rules for this one will sound a bit weird until I add the imagery.

A vial of a magical liquid used to concoct your thunderstones with. It only needs a few drops to be effective, and it never seems to run out. When you use a thunderstone and you're in the area of effect, you gain a fly speed equal to twice your land speed until the end of your turn. When you land, you fall prone.

>The thunderstone makes you fly through the air and fall on your ass, though you can control the direction.

> Domain grants heavy armor proficiency
> Up that dex
What did he mean by this?

No idea.

Smith's tools aren't inherently tied to STR or DEX, either, so I don't know what that user is going on about.

It's honestly not a lot greater than just getting mobile, but mobile doesn't provide +1 dex (to get to 14 dex which freed up two points from point buy to raise a non-critical stat like strength to 10), doesn't have bonus climbing, the disengage on attack isn't useful and.. Well
>40ft speed, 20ft if you stand on the turn, you move 30ft in the direction you want if blasted by thunderstone
compared to
>30ft speed, 25ft if you stand on the turn, you move 35ft in the direction you want if blasted by thunderstone

I'd probably say mobile is still generally more useful if you need speed, but it's a fun way to fuck around and you won't ever feel bad for rocketjumping since you actually gain 5ft of movement in the direction the thunderstone blasts you.

>Dwarf
>Doesn't need strength for heavy armour

>Rocket jumping thunderstones

Smith's tools are likely to be int, but if you're ever tested for craftsmanship it will use dex instead of strength.

More importantly there's no reason to take strength over dex in the first place because you're a fucking hill dwarf. Of course, dex is a teritiary/secondary stat after con and wis.

Heavy armor also limits the utility you get from DEX, though.

Granted, you'll have great saves and initiative rolls, but you'll also be a Forge cleric that inexplicably uses a rapier instead of a badass giant hammer or bastard sword.

The burn scars on her arm become magical. They appear on her wildshape forms. She can sacrifice a spell slot in wildshape form to breath fire using her druid spellcasting DC to set the dexterity saving throw. The damage is 1d12 per level of the spell slot sacrificed.

So grit comes back on a kill or a crit? If so, I'd go with a gun or guns that can critically hit on a 19 or 20 when you're spending grit.

Wasn't there some other user who was adding the tome of beasts stuff on his own?

Forgot the cone says is 15 ft. plus 5 ft. per level of the sacrificed slot. A later upgrade based on the druid learning to control it well would allow the druid to exclude x targets from the cone, where x = proficiency bonus.

I'm sure if you explain that dex is the skill of craftsmanship your DM might let you refluff a rapier or light hammer into a finesse hammer.

The only thing strength really gives is better grapples. .. When you're not the sort of person who'll be doing any grapples.

Hi all, just a quick sort of rules question. If I cast Banishment on a Glabrezu, does it get it's magic resistance re-roll to save?

Yes, it gets magic resistance. Banishment is a spell and doesn't have any special rules in its description.

Banishment ends up working much better on natives than extraplanar creatures because of all the magic resistance on them.

That would be pretty sweet since I'm almost always using grit on my shots and usually rolling 19 or 20 on them anyway.

Female Half-Elf Swashbuckler + Path of the Chain. She was the navigator of her pirate crew, the ship got into a terrible accident and the majority of her shipmates died and she was mortally wounded, in her fading moments she heard the voice of a fiend asking for her services in return for her life. Out of desperation, she accepted. She was healed (with really bad scars) and given a familiar that reminds her of her lost crew, an owl.

you get a grit point back on a crit or a kill of a dangerous (at DM's discretion) enemy

you can't expect to, say, empty a scattergun into a goblin horde and get a grit recovered by every one that falls

you actually get the "crit on a 19-20" thing as a class feature at level 18 tho

>I'm sure if you explain that dex is the skill of craftsmanship your DM might let you refluff a rapier or light hammer into a finesse hammer.

I dunno, at that point I might start smelling CharOps all over the concept, and be reluctant to let the player have their cake and eat it, too.

If a player was playing a blacksmith-type character, I wouldn't want them to refluff their way into making STR a dump stat.

But STR is already a dump stat.

They're just avoiding making suboptimal choices for the sake of character when it can be easily justified and you can easily give them a hammer they'll barely use for combat anyway that's just as effective as if they picked up a rapier instead.

Rather than a magical item, the owl is fiendish. It has 16 intelligence and 16 charisma, proficiency in all saving throws, and it gains Evasion when you do. It can speak, and uses the voices of your dead shipmates. It has proficiency in Arcana, History, Nature, and Religion, using your proficiency bonus in place of its own if yours is higher.

>you actually get the "crit on a 19-20" thing as a class feature at level 18 tho
If you got there, the guns would improve it to 18-20. That's how I do keen weapons so they don't invalidate champions.

>They're just avoiding making suboptimal choices for the sake of character

Yeah see, that's exactly the problem I would have.

Besides, 2d6 damage versus 1d8 is a different kind of optimal, all on its own.

Kobold Wizard that heard a tall tale about True Polymorph and wants to learn use it to become a dragon.

It takes less justifying to simply let them Sneak Attack with any 1d8 one-handed weapon regardless of the Finesse property or their using STR instead of DEX.

> It can speak, and uses the voices of your dead shipmates.

I like it!

We're low level and I doubt we'll hit that plus the DM has ruled grit returns on all kills since it's one grit per killshot not per kill. He has to make it worthwhile since anybody can use guns plus there aren't any true mooks (everything we're meant to fight is a threat) and anybody including enemies can level mid fight.

She plans to take a level in Revised Ranger, so the difficult terrain bonus on Mobile is useless. Plus, she liked Breaking Bad and that skill is 100% a reference, so that'll be a plus for her.

It's nothing about 2d6.

The only (Sensible) choice is to use rapier+shield.

However, if you have strength, you can use a longsword+shield instead. Stat-wise, it's identical providing nothing fucks with your strength stat and you don't do anything like sneak attack or defensive duellist. Using a longsword+shield is basically a refluffed rapier in a way for a cleric.

Requiring you to take a suboptimal stat to use a refluffed weapon is kind of stupid.

I also like to talk to players through familiars so I have an in-game voice that's always around. I'd rather RP stuff than use the DM voice if I have a choice.

A magical amulet with a malleable form. When you attune to it, it changes to a material that matches a type of dragon of your choice. (gold or silver or a ruby for a red dragon or sapphire for blue, etc.)

You apply the half-dragon template to yourself. Your head changes in shape to match the horns and crest of the chosen dragon type. The breath weapon is usable once per short rest.

It's more than I had. Shame. You had to dig a bit but there was some cool shit.

I am not sure but I don't think so. Maybe the user you're speaking of was the user that made the tools in the first place. Anyway you need to ask him if he shows up here or ask from the github.

Taking a single level in revised ranger shouldn't be done.

The UA isn't balanced for that, and it is overpowered for almost every class to take a level in it due to the ridiculous number of benefits that singel level gives.

>there are DMs who don't let their players refluff weapons as long as they are mechanically balanced
if a guy wants to use a 1d8 piercing reachless finesse shortspear like a roman hoplite instead of a rapier go nuts

Rogue is a really weird thing to dip into if you have STR instead of DEX, anyway, mainly because their entire kit is DEX-based.

You've got Stealth, Evasion, Saves, Sneak Attack - at what point would you just eliminate STR and DEX as separate stats, if you're going to allow a STR Sneak Attack anyway?

>if you have strength, you can use a longsword+shield instead
Or: A shield plus a battleaxe, flail, morningstar, war pick, or war hammer. Y'know, the weapons you're TRYING to use by refluffing.

I'd let a player refluff for story reasons, but I would let a player refluff so they can have optimal stats and ONLY optimal stats.

Pic related is a blacksmith. She may have high DEX, but STR is far from her dump stat.

There are people here playing monks in heavy armor so who knows man

>but I would let a player refluff so they can have optimal stats and ONLY optimal stats.

wouldn't*, even.

Tiefling College of the Muse Bard (Mercer Class). Has always heard voices since he was young, the voices tell him evil stories and attempt to manipulate him to kill others. As a way of coping with the stress, he sings uplifting tales and manipulates the sound of the world around him to bring happiness to others. When he hears voices he can be a bit irrational and can easily misread people in his stress.

Alright the thing about Death Whisper is that you can just walk into town and murder any random commoner of your choices and kill him by whispering a word and no consequences and blinding smite still requires you to hit and use a spell slot which recharge on long rest.

Less stuff resist psyhic than radiant. But more have immunity to it. I think instead of outright change a simple refluff as darker smite could work. I mean even oathbreaker still does radiant damage.
A teleport with attack could work or expanding on your shadow cloak. Situational but thematic. Make the oath what you want it to be. The base
paladin gives enough protection.
Finally give it a weak feature. All paladin oath have a feature that is just meh and one that is awesome. Ancients CD sucks but level 7 feature is awesome opposite to Devotion who's
Sacred weapon is amazing while level 7 aura is meh.

Death Whisper is too easily spammable, especially when you do it at the end of your turn. Needs to be reworked.

Midnight's Chosen is slighty too strong. Is it aura based like Pass Without a Trace or is it target based like Seeming? Just regular advantage on stealth checks should be fine. It would be in line with the Trickster domain for cleric. The disadvantage from armor would cancel out. Ebon smite psychic damage flat out is too strong.

Nightcloak is cool. Wording is a bit rough.

Umbral Jaunt seems a bit too protection heavy with it's reaction. It might feel better if it was more like Benign Transportation (wizard). Maybe swap as an action then make an attack as a bonus action? Similar effect but very different feel. (Offensive vs defensive)

Living Nightmare is a bit unexpected. Big, flashy, meaty distraction is the opposite of shadowy, tricky, and vicious

You could justify a blacksmith with low strength, though.

They use machinery for part of the processes,
They overseer more apprentice blacksmiths and don't do hammering all day long.
They do have strength in the form of endurance, but their output is limited for a reason such as a disease or some problem from all the many years of hitting stuff, so they're at the point of 'can hammer away at something for hours, but not hammer it like an ogre would smash it.'
They could simply be getting on in their years and have waning strength but still have a careful eye with their craft.

I mean, sure, you'll probably still have 10-12 strength rather than 8-9, and that woman looks like she's on about 12, but at least in hardcore terms when it comes to /5eg/ I'm going to rant on about how for such a character strength, charisma and intellect are dump stats mechanically and how it's fine to refluff a rapier into a sort of hammer.

Hill dwarfs really have very little reason to use strength, and that's more of a design flaw than anything, I guess. But they're not encouraged to go on a class that relies on dexterity either, their dexterity would always be more of a secondary stat.

Why does this guy have enough material for things to be known as "Mercer Classes?"

I think there was another Muse archetype someone else made so I just made sure to mention the creator.

I don't know 3rd party stuff, so I need to know what it does. I'm not going to go look it up myself.