MTG EDH/COMMANDER GENERAL

Your BEST deck edition

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

What is your best deck/what can it do?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/queen-marcheezys-super-prison/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/wow-queen-youre-so-beautiful-1/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/toshiro-valuetown/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/intet-shenanragons/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/krenko-goblin-fun-time/
decks.deckedbuilder.com/d/270295
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-subway-experience/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/saskia-the-token-mama/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/he-comes/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What would you cut in my list for it?
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/queen-marcheezys-super-prison/

How does it play? Can I see your Marduchesa list?

Who is the dude with the Nicol Bolas theme deck? If anybody has the list I'd love to see it.

Friendly reminder that Paradox Engine is absolutely bonkers.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/wow-queen-youre-so-beautiful-1/

My list has no creatures and I haven't spent much time optimising it as it's not a deck I play often so I'm not sure I can help much with that, but here it is if you want to look anyway.
I don't like nighthawk though as it's just an efficient keyword soup creature, that doesn't really cut it for me in Edh but it depends on your meta I guess

How do you define "best"?
My most powerful is a Ghave combo deck and it's just pretty much packed with as many combos as I could get there with reasonable amount of tutors, removal and stuff to protect me.
It's the most expensive deck too, I think.

Got it. One of the players in my group used to had a Brago blink deck but I've been avoiding taking card ideas from him because 1) I don't own most of them and 2) the deck was sort of cancerous. So my Ephara isn't really a blink deck, though it does use -some- blinking effects for ETB value.

>tappedout.net/mtg-decks/wow-queen-youre-so-beautiful-1/

Dude thanks for some of the secret tech. Delaying shield is bonkers since basically reads "You are the monarch as long as you have this enchantment."

But I think our decks are too different for me to try to see if Grim Nemesis is good addition.

>Best Deck
Reanimator Alesha. I can win pretty quickly if people just durdle around as most EDH decks try to do. I kind of crutch on Master of Cruelties or Raving Dead to combo win, but I can also lame it out and just grind value from etb triggers.
it wins a fair amount of the time, and i really enjoy playing it, but I'm sure it could be optimized.

>Your BEST deck edition
My best deck is the one I spent the least time and money building, and least enjoy playing. I put it together in 30 minutes out of stuff I had in my trade binder, showed up at my LGS and won my first game turn 4 through Force of Will.

It's when I started really hating UGx, the exact moment I realized just how fucking mindless (yet powerful) these archetypes are.

Reposting from the last thread. Looking for feedback on my newly assembled Toshiro deck. i did get the recommendation of Innocent Blood, so I've been thinking about switching that in. I've also got Insidious Dreams in the mail that I might make room for.

>tappedout.net/mtg-decks/toshiro-valuetown/

I know a lot of Monoblack decks are similar, so if you see any glaring missing pieces, or obvious weakpoints, I'm all ears!

Kruphix with like 8 counterspells and a fuckton of eldrazi. It really opened my eyes up to how fragile my decks are

been laughing at this picture for like 5 minutes.

I want more

Reposting from the old thread:

I'm putting together a budget/filthy casual deck for a friend as a gift, to get him into EDH. He loves Temur and loves dragons so I'm going with an Intet Dragon Tribal theme. A bit stuck on what to trim off this list and whether there's anything else I should include though. Thoughts?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/intet-shenanragons/

Should they ban Sol Ring? I don't know. What do you guys think?

no

Nope, Sol Ring is fine

Yes. Mana Crypt as well.

>best deck

Endrek sahr stax

Makes alot of thrulls

Sol ring is Sheldons sacred cow it won't happen but it should

Sounds neat, post list if you have it.

Who or what is Sheldon?

This is my opinion as well. I feel like the better tuned the decks in your group are, the better they are at pushing that 2 mana advantage into an early win. People who say it's fine are playing Craw Wurm magic in my opinion.

hmmmm

Zimbabwe

Supercasual here. My best deck would be a Bruna, the Fading Light angel tribal deck.
When it starts going it just lobs out high spec synergetic angels left and right until victory.
I only get to make Brisela maybe one every five games, and it's usually a bad idea, since everyone turns on me.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/krenko-goblin-fun-time/
Krenko is bae
He gives me the chance to play like I'm being very casual and laid back (not attacking with 20 goblins, just shrugging when I get denied combat phases) right until I spring my goblin based trap

>Your BEST deck edition
Pic very related.

decks.deckedbuilder.com/d/270295

I am actually looking to throw in Angry Omnath, but I am not sure how to do it, any suggestions?

well generally, youd want to take a card out from the 99 so you would have room for him

A land

Thanks for showing you know how to take things literally.
Despite the joke here, a proper suggestion for which one would at least be nice.

looking for some help with jarad
reasonably budget, spicy tech (like wall of blood) preferred
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-subway-experience/

My Prossh, mostly due to it being my first deck (picked it randomly when I started EDH) with a mix of me luckily having a Doubling Season and Dragon Broodmother already.
Given half a chance, it can either overwhelm a table with flyers (Broodmother/Dragonmaster Outcast), Tons of beefy tokens (Beastmaster's Ascension/RG Sarkhan Vol), Go Infinite (Food Chain + Goblin Bombardment/misc sac outlet) or just plain be a bastard with Grave Pact/Dictate of Erebos + easily killed tokens.

My main suggestion for Jarad is creatures with Bestow/Constellaiton.

Another suggestion is to run Lifeline

What are some good CMC 3 or less, Dimir colored creatures that fly/are unblockable and have a beneficial effect?
I'm going for stuff like Siren of the Silent Song and Shadowmage Infiltrator.
The plan is to have cheap creatures for early game that can tide me over until mid/late game when I can throw out fatties like the Black or Blue Primordials

Nightveil Specter, easily.

take out something that fills the same role, like inferno titan

I feel like my Saskia list is a bit lopsides to the White/Green, and not taking full advantage of having Red and Black in the equation. Should this just be the nature of the deck, or do you see ways I can equalize the colors. Maybe weak things to pull (I'm thinking of cutting Angel of Invention. It only really feels amazing when I have Cathar's Crusade), and maybe suggestions on token generation, or token protection that I might have missed out on? I know this won't be super powerful, but It's been winning me a few games, but it feels like I might be missing the potential of two of the colors.

Would be helpful if i posted the fucking deck.

>tappedout.net/mtg-decks/saskia-the-token-mama/

besides a little recursion for specific creatures, I want stuff to stay in the graveyard
haven't really seen any relevant enchantment creatures either

Hypnotic Spectre is a very relevant threat
Blood Artist definitely helps you live to midgame

Nightveil spectre

I have a $75 dollar gift card to a website with noticeable price mark up and a large-ish sum of generic cards that don't fit into any decks at the moment. What commander should I build with this? Inspire me. I like to anger my friends and then laugh at them. Winning occasionally is just icing on the cake.

Can't say I'm surprised, tokens are definitely more of a WG thing as far as I know. That being said I could see you taking advantage of red's extra combat and temporary gain control spells. I tend to just stuff black with various removal and card draw in all my decks because I'm unimaginative.

just opened a box of aether revolt, anything worth a shit in EDH in here? i got a foil baral but i think the card is meh. there is some other stuff but nothing really worth mentioning

Yeah, red seems to get goblin tokens, but they never feel efficient without tribal support.

>tappedout.net/mtg-decks/intet-shenanragons/

Bumping my request a little, I'm trying to finalise the deck by the weekend.

It looks fine. Play a few games and see what works and what is dead weight, then go from there.

So when you guys build a new deck how do you start? Im wanting to take breya apart but im a little lost as to what all i should put in, i know i want to start at 36 or so lands but after that how do i allocate card slots? i'm trying to think of it as i want x amount of cards that push my game plan, x that ramp me, x to interact with my oponents boards, etc etc but i have a bad habit of wanting to include too many cards.
Advice please? Or reccomend some things to read that would help.

My method is get the general then make a list of cards you want and sort them into yes no and maybe piles.

Then go through the yes and maybe piles till you get 63 and make a 36 land base that fits those 63. Take the maybe cards and set them aside.

Then play games with the deck. See what works, what doesn't. What is dead weight? What is situational? What is really good and needs more combo support? Look at the maybe board and make adjustment.

Then repeat.

In terms of winning - The best in my Meta is my Avacyn deck. Once I have her out, my friends can't do anything, especially once I blow up everything with Armageddon or Catastrophe.

i mean, it's kind of hard to turn on you if you have a flying lifelink vigilant first strike 9/10 that turns off most of the removal in the format. Just put a darksteel plate on it and you'll be set.

Wanting to build a first commander deck. Would yall suggest buying a base or building one from scratch?
Ive got a ton of cards (~ 5K cards) but would still probably have to buy non basic lands and popular commander cards.

Baral's a good counterspells tribal, gonti's aether heart is a colorless extra turn in an artifacts deck(make sure you include a mirror gallery so you can copy it and get more extra turns), planar bridge is fun to put out as a threat i guess? if you actually get to resolve it and use the ability, your opponents deserve to lose.

Oh, and planeswalkers are always good in EDH.

except tibalt nobody likes him

building from scratch is more fun, imo, but if you stall out on building for whatever commander you happen to choose, edhrec will save you.

My method might not work for you since I have a good supply of funds for decukbuilding.

1. Add 36 lands. Check your colors each fetch that works in your colors as well as shocks, duals, checklands and utility lands such as Alchemists Refuge. Fill in the gaps with basic lands.

2. Look at what creatures that are pure value in your colors and add ones that enable your commander to win more.

3. Repeat step two for artifacts, enchantments and so on.

4. Once you have these cards on a list think about what direction you want to go, for example with Hope of Ghirapur I wanted to go artifact recursion.

5. Play your deck and make mental notes on what worked well and what didn't.

6. Repeat all of the other steps with your list in mind with some minor changes and repeat the process util you get the desired result.

Best deck?

Honestly have to say Newzuri but that's only because my meta's retarded. They try to stop me by killing my creature pumped up with +1/+1 counters not Newzuri himself, I've gone games where I casted him once and he was never destroyed.

I gotcha, i have kind of an idea of what i want to do and what kind of cards i want to put in, i think my biggest problem is i need to play with it and get more experience.

That's honestly the best way to figure out. I started with the Animar pre-con and it became Jenara tokens then Atraxa Superfriends (Current). The main reason I switched from UGR to UGW was I didn't like how red played with the deck.

If that meant dropping Tibalt, then so be it.

>What is your best deck/what can it do?
Probably my good old OG Kozzy deck. Not quite a paragon of consistency, but when it wants to bring the hammer down, games tend to end in scoops from the poor fucks who get wrecked by Annihilator 20 on turn 6.

List if anyone is interested:
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/he-comes/

my boy mazirek
suddenly he is wtf huge thanks to corpsejack menace and winding constructor and you die

>Opponent plays Maralen
>Untap, tutor for Mindlock Orb, play it
>Next turn play Tangle Wire and Trinisphere
>Opponents untap, tap, sigh and pass
>Wincon online, it's the 3 per turn from Maralen
>Opponents tell me my deck was unfun when they played a card that lets each opponent tutor, and before you get to
I won

I guess it would be daretti extreme MLD. I have a shit ton of mana rocks, field wipes, artifacts (duh), pand draw/tutors. There's no infinite combos in the deck. None.
It's only purpose is to repeatedly blow up the field while I'm the only person with a board, where they either get resurrected, have indestructible, or they weren't a target for the field wipe.
Since the wincon is to repeatedly blow up the field until i either win through damage or the opponents scoop, I only use this against degenerate decks like infinite combo, stax, etc.

Here's what i do. Pretty simple but time consuming
1. Choose a commander
2. Choose main strategy/wincon
3. Put in a lot of cards for main idea and it'll be a fucking glass cannon
4. If it works, keep. If not, break apart
5. Through lots of playtesting, find out what works and what's needed
6. Take out cards that looked good but we're actually bad for needed cards
At least this is how i do it. Worked for me so far
Pic related shows my long process

Do it from scratch first then get the needed cards if you want to

>best deck

Kalemne, Sitter of Faces

>pulled a paradox engine at prerelease
>doesnt work in any of my decks

Fuck this shit

Gonti in Mimeoplasm, should I or is it a bad idea?

Wouldn't tibalt actually be very good commander due to everyone immediately deciding he is shit and getting blown out by his ult?

>It's when I started really hating UGx, the exact moment I realized just how fucking mindless (yet powerful) these archetypes are.

i made a maelstrom deck out of my xenagos so it's like 90% gruul synergies and face smashing and like 10% blue.

i'm probably not going to make it more UG focus at this point since i only really wanted to play maelstrom and gruul stuff, but what kind of cards do people generally mean by "degenerate ug goodstuff" in the context of a maelstrom wanderer deck? i went through edhrec but didn't really find anything in U that piqued my interest, just typical blue goodstuff like clever impersonator and stuff

So, a question guys:

When building mono-white, do you scramble to fit in all the janky draw available to you or do you just fully embrace your horrible slowness and not even bother?

Does Paradox Engine work with Wort's conspire?

>Copies of spells are just placed on the stack, they are never cast. 706.10. To copy a spell or activated ability means to put a copy of it on to the stack; a copy of a spell isn't cast and a copy of an activated ability isn't activated. Cards on the other hand, can be copied and cast.

Right, but if you conspire a spell with Wort, does paradox engine untap the guys you used to conspire that spell?

Depends on the stack. I would say no for the moment though until gA or some other smart user gets here

Doesn't sound like it. You don't tap your dudes until the spell is already on the stack, and you don't cast the copy, so I don't see how it would untap them

Don't bother, try to get as much value out of each card you can.

add card draw but don't derail your deck for it
also, don't forget even mono white has tutors, so also put them in

No, because he cycles through your hand randomly. That land you need to keep for mana growth? Gone. That on-curve creature or manarock? Gone. He works against you as much as he works with, and it's not hard to keep his loyalty at 5 or lower. He has little value besides his -6.

To the judge thread!

Library of leng to offset it maybe? I'm not trying to defend tibalt here but it feels like he could somehow work in edh

The tapping of creatures for Conspire is an additional cost so they will be untapped by the Engine's triggered ability.

That raises another question: What decent non-conditional draw does white even have access to? Mind's Eye is all I can think of.

Mind's Eye is still conditional-- it relies upon your opponents drawing cards.

get creative with ETBs Eldrazi Displacer + SFM, Sad Robot. Recruiter of the Gaurd, Mentor of the Meek plus recursion with Sun Titan, Karmic Guide & Reveillark

Run Sram as your general.

Skullclamp/Mentor of the Meek + Brimaz/Kemba/Hero of Bladehold/Kjeldon Stronghold

Your opponents are always going to draw at least one card a turn, though. Unless they're running, like, necropotence or something.

By conditional, I meant more like Skullclamp or Mentor of the Meek.

Kjeldon Outpost*, my bad

Skullclamp >>>>> Mind's Eye, it's the most broken equipment in the game and very rewarding if you devote even a minor portion of your deck to work with it

All skullclamp requires is a couple of token generators and some tutors you were going to run in mono white anyway.

And if you're not running weenies/tokens or any sort of sac effect?

What are you doing in MonoW then?

Playing pretty angels and wiping the board a lot.

might want to splash a real color then, like green

Depends on the Mimeoplasm build
Reanimator he could be pretty neat but I imagine he still runs better as the Commander

Herald of War says weenies & Angels can work together.

Thraben Doomsayer, Captain of the Watch,Darien, King of Kjeldor, Geist-Honored Monk, Herald of Anafenza, Monestary Mentor, Stormfront Riders, Hanweir Militia Captain

Take your pick from some the above Human-typed token generators, add skullclamp/MotM, done.

Argument me and my friend are having, what's harder to pilot, slivers or elfves?
More interaction?
More complicated?

Slivers, because the manabase is more difficult

>playing commander tonight at a "friend's" house
>first few games go well, new player wins a couple because me and my friend slug it out the whole time
>last game takes for-fucking-ever because this guy insists on talking about politics
>puts on some fucking bullshit pseudo-lecture about trump's inauguration and bipartisanship blah blah blah blah on in the background instead of music
>try my best to ignore it and start playing magic
>the guy is literally yelling at me about politics while I completely ignore it and want to play magic
>finally engage him in conversation
>he spews a bunch of silly emotion packed statements that have nothing to do with what we're talking about because he's cherry picking arguments
>I'm literally staring at him while he argues straight to my face about arbitrary bullshit in front of another person
>call him out on being an idiot who just wants to argue
>he finally starts playing magic again
>break his spirit with Lazav Mill
>he politely excuses himself to go to bed mid-game when it's clear I'm going to win
Fucking people. Jesus christ, I just wanted to play magic.

Friends giving his elf deck a 7/10 on difficulty, it's old school ezuri with tons of elves, says slivers are super simple.