This might be a /tv/ question but I'm afraid to ask there and you guys know your shit better anyways:

This might be a /tv/ question but I'm afraid to ask there and you guys know your shit better anyways:

What are the Top 10 classic Chinese action/martial arts movies of the last 30 years?

Like Hardboiled and stuff like that. Which Jackie Chan?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_Ch2yhrnOKs
youtube.com/watch?v=IAidqFI3P00
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>30 years
>That means late 80s and up
Fuck man, feels old...

Once upon a Time in China 1 & 2 are pretty much a must-see. Rest of the series is forgettable, but those two reinvented the wheel when it comes to wuxia.

There are a couple of Chinese Ghost Story movies. Which one is best?

None

Rigor mortis is aight.

Kung Fu Hustle

Not Chinese, or martial arts, but fuck you it's great:
The Good The Bad The Weird

So we are allowed to post more recent stuff? Ok, then...

Hero and House of Flying Daggers, both done by the same guy. Everything he made afterwards is shit (I mean, fucking Great Wall), but those two are really good. Well, Hero is really good, House is fun instead

>30 years
Hero
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Who Am I (Jackie Chan)
Wheels on Meals (Jackie Chan)
Rumble in the Bronx (Jackie Chan)
Jackie Chan's first strike (Jackie Chan)
Flashpoint
Ip Man
Hardboiled
The Killer

If we made it 40-50 we could mix some Shaw brothers up in there but we'll settle for this

ipman1
ipman2
ipman3
Police story (1985)
Rush hour (yeah, its basically what you ask)
rush hour 2
rush hour 3
The forbidden Kingdom (2008)
Curse of the golden flower (2006)
Hero (2002)

Fucking Project A
youtube.com/watch?v=_Ch2yhrnOKs

>ip man 2
>ip man 3
>rush hour 3
>forbidden Kingdom
neck yourself

>That shit taste
Jesus, this is painful

I few That I like.
Snake in the eagle's shadow.
Ip Man 1 & 2.
The Raid 1 & 2.
Ong Bak.
Dragon.
Flash Point.
Firestorm.

NO NOT THE SPAGHETTI

>SitES
I was contemplating this but it's almost ironic amusement solely because of the priest.

>Flash point
Delicious.

The Raid 1&2
Rumble in the Bronx
Flash Point
The Protector (for that one scene)
City of Violence
Legend of the Drunken Master
Operation Condor

Can't really think of any more off the top of my head.

In no particular order

1. Ip Man
2. Kill Bill (The first one is Japanesey, the second one is Chinesey)
3. Kung Fu Hustle (Pure kino when he's fighting the last of the mobsters at the end, and instead of being silly, it gets serious for, like, 4.5 seconds)
4. Rush Hour (Also great, fuck off)
5. Unironically Kung Fu Panda (In the second one, the choreographing BTFOs most kungfu movies I've seen IRL)
6. Enter the Dragon

Not only are these films excellent standards for Chinese martial arts and choreography; these films are all also incredibly based. These films are all considered top kino by any respectable fa/tv/irgin who'd dare lend his opinion on proper kung-fu cinematography.

Also, I was kinda-sorta joking about Rush Hour, but other than that, I'm playing this list with a completely straight face. No memes, no nothing. I legitimately, unironically think these movies have great material in them that'll help you out with what you're looking for.

>Chinese
>kill bill
>Kung fu Panda
if this were /tv/ you would have been banned for this shitposting.

fuck it.

Shaw brothers are and always were the best. Slightly outside your time specs

youtube.com/watch?v=IAidqFI3P00

Oh shit; okay, Kill Bill is far from "kino", but Kung Fu Panda (especially the second one) is unironic kino.

Were it not for the laws of this land, I would have slaughtered you.

Ip Man rocked, but Ip Man 2 = Rocky 5. Some good scenes, but the central plot is a little too cliched. I suppose a kurosawa fan would have said that about Star Wars.

I'm partial to Who Am I? (Jackie Chan again). There was a hot blonde chinese girl that sent my heart and boner into the stratosphere. Natural blonde!

The remake of Drunken Master was really good.

Hero's one of the great propaganda films of our age.

Would you believe I've never actually sat down and watched Hidden Crotch Dragon? I need to.

Fist of Legend-- another good remake.

There's actually quite a lot of good stuff being made right now, enough that it's hard to keep up if you're in the states and don't speak chinese and aren't plugged into the culture.

Fucking love the good, the bad, and the weird.
I love watching other cultures takes on westerns

>not knowing kill bill is a masterpiece of buddhist storytelling
It's about a woman gaining wisdom and defeating the five deadly poisons that hinder enlightenment. Uma Thurman was raised Buddhist, and her father was THE American authority on Buddhism.

Yeah, well then too bad the director is a fugging hack

Doesn't change the fact it's not Chinese film. And Buddhism in China was last time popular in times of Tang dynasty. Before you start googling when it was - over a thousand years ago.

Also, explain me what the father of the lead has to do with the scenario. I mean I've ended reading books by Robert Thurman, they are still semi-obligatory course, but the fuck it has to do with anything?
That's almost like saying I should shoe your horse, because my grandfather was a qualified blacksmith.

I still like "Dude, you totally fucked your uncle" Swordsman, even though it has aged pretty damn badly.

>American Buddhism

Reminder that US Buddism dates back to a bunch of japanese heretics with nazi-connections making a successful sale's pitch.

Nah, Thurman books are pretty good, even if dated badly. And he had pretty much zero connection with Japanese "Buddhism".
But then again, Tibetan "Buddism" is even weirder and less Buddhist on the sole principle of being Tibetan.

Either way, if you have free time, go read his books, most of them are entry-tier anyway.

Who Am I? also has the roof-slide stunt, which has to be up there in terms of Jackie's craziest stunt.

Yeah but so does everything

Nah, that'd be India or Korea. They are the ones who invented everything.

Crouching Tiger is actually a really good story, too. Totally make a point to see it soon.

>Which Jackie Chan?
In no particular order:

Wheels on Meals (great Jackie Chan vs Benny "The Jet" Urquidez fight, and one of the best fights on film imo)
Police Story series
Supercop
Drunken Master
Half Loaf of Kung Fu
Winners and Sinners (English name for 5 Lucky Stars a series of movies by and starring Sammo Hung)
Battle Creek Brawl
The Protector (great Jackie Chan vs Bill "Super Foot" Wallace fight)
City Hunter
Heart of the Dragon
Dragons Forever
Armour of God 1+2
Best of the Best (US movie about TKD fighters with Eric Roberts, one of my favorites growing up)
Miracles
Project A
The Last Dragon (another favorite growing up, a Mo Town movie)

Then there's wuxia stuff like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Once Upon a Time in China, Fearless etc.

Also Mortal Kombat (one of the guys who taught me how to fight and cornered me was a stunt actor on this movie) and Street Fighter were ones I really liked as a kid, even though I knew Street Fighter was kind of a piece of shit.

You gotta watch Detective Dee. Sure maybe it's not a "classic", but it's a basically just a kinda campy super fun detective romp with a large helping of the kung fu. Also there are two of them! They're both good and almost criminally unknown.

Fearless is both really good and really sad.

I came here to post this. Detective Dee is incredible.

Although I would actually encourage you to watch them in the reverse order, since Rise of the Sea Dragon is set before Mystery of the Phantom Flame, and helps explain some character origins.