/5eg/ Fifth Edition General

> Latest News
> New Unearthed Arcana: Rangers and Rogues
media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/2017_01_UA_RangerRogue_0117JCMM.pdf
> Don't forget to rate the Artificer in the official survey:
sgiz.mobi/s3/9c17dda91a1d

Next UA will be out on the 30th, not the 23rd. Source: twitter.com/Wizards_DnD/status/822537176529432577

> Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

> Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

> /5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

> 5etools
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

What is your favorite published setting for D&D?

Other urls found in this thread:

5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/lootgen.html
kickstarter.com/projects/350683997/midgard-campaign-setting-dark-roads-and-deep-magic
youtube.com/watch?v=MIMMDk2x-wU#t=3m02s
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

First for Forgotten Realms

Mah nigga.

>What is your favorite published setting for D&D?
If you answer anything but
>Mystara
>Birthright
>Dark Sun
you are not my nigga.

Spelljammer

>Next UA will be out on the 30th, not the 23rd.

How much strength would you need to punt a goblin over 20 yards?

Sorry, it's still the 23rd where I am. :P

Can someone explain Greenflame Blade to me?

So you hit the target for weapon damage, and then the extra 1d8 only goes to the second target? What if there is no second target, it just fizzles?

20 yards with no technique?

I'd say Str 19/20.

Yeah the secondary effect does nothing if there is no second target.

The d8 is applied to both, but is only applied once you're Level 5+ (your cantrip upgrades, in other words). Before then the spell specifies your ability modifier and whatnot being used.

I'm rather fond of Al-Qadim from 2E, but a lot of its better features were applied to the Forgotten Realms in later editions (how cosmopolitan the Sword Coast is, several of its more plentiful magic items / exotic materials, its more thoroughly and competently fleshed out Elemental Casters, etcetera). It remains unique, but the contrast between the two has noticeably diminished.

As such I'd have to switch my vote over to Dark Sun, which at least feels in a number of places like they tried to do something new and that the only reason certain races remain in the setting / are PC options is because the player base might riot if the options were removed.

Is there any way to give the ranger companion magical attacks? Is it an oversight that it doesn't?

5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/lootgen.html

Added a loot generator based on the DMG tables to 5etools.

I want to like Dark Sun, but I have never seen anything more to it than "everything is really oppressive."
Which is a great world for adventurers to fight against, I guess.

What about Greyhawk?

By any chance does anybody know anything about Blackmoor? I've got the 3e splat just chilling on my shelf and never got into reading it.

Planescape
Spelljammer
Ghostwalk

Kenku Dexterity Barbarian. How bad of an idea is it?

A spaceship crashed and an engineered turned into a mirror and then the gods went crazy because radiation eats one portion of magical energy and would destroy reality eventually. Also laser guns.
Actually, all the gods-going-crazy stuff happens after the spaceship accidentally explodes and nuclear catastrophe forces a giant magical t-rex to hollow out the interior of the planet and shove everyone in there for their safety.

Is there any chance that Book of Lost Spells and Fifth Edition Foes from Necromancer games will be added?
Also jesus christ you're good. Stop being so great to us user.

>ghostwalk
>when you love a setting but it'll probably never get played

Woah.
Blackmoor jumped up a few pegs in my book.

I've also got an old Mystara gazetter lying around here somewhere I scored at a comic shop when they used to still have game stuff. It's good shit.

Xth for Eberron.

Ravenloft

Blackmoor / Mystara / Hollow World were the holy trinity of fantasy / sci-fi / planetary opera all married into one. Actually, I guess you can throw in Red Steel / Savage Coast for swashbuckling action, too.

Really, Mystara does it all. It's great. It's even got rules for letting you become a God.

Yes; use your DM powers to Make It So.

As bad an idea as an Elven Constitution Ranger.

Damn
Does random loot table not actually hand out magic items other than consumables? Never realized.

I'm going to play a fiendlock charlatan with heavy voodoo vibes. Is it racist to play a character of a different race from you?

it's fine

just wear a costume with blackface

I feel like while Greyhawk and Dark Sun would require their own books, I think a general "World Compendium" or something could be used for Dragonlance, Mystara, and Birthright. They have cool shit, and a few mehanics unique to them (Red Steel and Bloodlines), but overall I think they don't really need the kind of real estate that the other settings need.
How do you feel about this? Does Krynn deserve it's own book?

>DMing some noobies through a custom campaign
>Spend 6 weeks building first act, where they are tasked by their Guild to save a person from a ritual sacrifice
>Side mission to steal a shiny object of power because PC LG paladin wanted it for his backstory
>They complete both with ease
>Guild Master wishes to have the shiny object, invokes Guild Master right.
>They refuse, or ask for infinite money in return, but are standing in the Guild Hall with dozens of armed guards.
>Arrest them, make a villain out of their guild
>They spend weeks game time in town jail
>Meet a Half Orc
>He claims that the Guild wrongfully imprisoned him, they believe it and make friends with him
>They want to start their own guild on the rubble of the Guild they are with, since stealing the stick and person started a war.
>Break out of prison
>Form a guild, set up a sewer guild hall under town.
>They allow Half Orc to act as Chief Guild Officer, who assigns quests, hires recruits, and fences goods.
>Spend some time questing missions assigned by the orc, Letting Orc recruit members to the Guild, and have the Orc fence the goods they bring back from his mission
>Months go by
>Most recent mission is to ransack a town and kill a child in cold blood
>LG paladin is unhappy with having to do this.
>Ask him why he has a problem with this, he has had no problem stealing, raiding, and looting anything the Orc requested before then.
>sudden realization sets in...
>They find out they have been acting as bruiser and thugs for a criminal organization built off the rubble of a civilized enterprise that they destroyed themselves.
>They remember that they met the Orc in prison
>They change their alignments

Pretty fun campaign so far. They don't blindly trust me or my characters anymore.

>Ghostwalk was published in June 2003, and was written by Monte Cook and Sean K. Reynolds.
How did those two chucklefucks come up with such a great setting?

Any ideas to spice up a dumb-muscle barbarian character?

>Is it racist to play a character of a different race from you?
Just because everyone plays Variant Human doesn't mean it's the only one allowed. We don't actually have Elves and Gnomes and Dragonborn IRL.

I'm surprised it hasn't yet, what with WotC trying to bring up a bunch of their other settings into 5e. I'm not quite sold on it myself; I didn't grow up with the books or anything, but my wife has copies of the Chronicles trilogy around so I think I'll give it a try.

That does sound cool, they're not too salty about it. I've taught my group to not take everything I say at face value, and it doesn't help that after all the struggle they went through to get to the planes and enlist the help of the gods the only waiting to help was Vecna.
And now the Paladin is LE and has the Eye of Vecna lodged into his skull, much to the chagrin of the NG Monk/Ranger.
I had that roleplay bit planned for a fucking year and a half I can't tell you how finally ecstatic I got finally playing it.

its a woman

So... dope then?

Here a (You)

Minsc clone?

But Minsc is a Ranger.

> Newbie made a Barbarian with 10 DEX and 15 CON
> Normal human
> Knew that his DM is pretty brutal.
> Told him that he's going to die. Badly.
> "It's going to be fine user!"

Should I just let him go? It's just a one shot so it shouldn't traumatize that him badly right?

Background as an entertainer. Was the Strongman.

Hell yeah motherfucker.

Kill him, maintain eye contact to establish dominance while the CR1/4 goblin destroys his anus.

Now enjoy all players spamming insight check and slow the game down. that's what I do after my DM did the same thing to me ;_;

SNU SNU

I usually just auto pass most insight checks anyway, ill throw in a few random innocent insight checks in case they happen to crit fail.

In which case they get a profound sense of natural evil pouring from the eyes of this child, which they tend to immediately behead anything that even seems evil.

In which case they wind up back in prison and the whole thing starts over again.

Go sage background and make Indiana Brones

> using crit fail rule
RED FLAG! RED FLAG! ABORT MISSION IMMEDIATELY! PREPARE A PARTY OF LUCKY HALFING DIVINER!!

Hey /5eg/, give me a fantasy material.

First 5 will make it into my setting one way or the other.

>critfail skill checks

That's not how this works.

Race of superpowered bugmen philosophers. Nobody fucks with them, but they aren't interested in conquest.

kickstarter.com/projects/350683997/midgard-campaign-setting-dark-roads-and-deep-magic
kobold press started their kickstarter for the 5e midgard setting. I'm not shilling for it as I have not actually played midgard before, so I'm asking if anyone has and how is it? I'm dying for anything non FR for 5e

Thats how I work, homie.

I never make the crit result something the party will be annoyed by. Usually something hilarious that results in some minor downtime or a completely different lore outcome.

Apologies, I meant an actual material, like a metal or a kind of cotton.

...But as first reply and with a good idea, I will accede to your suggestion as well.

A tribe of humans living on a floating island built with a greco-roman aesthetic. They ride pegasi and use weather based magic. To visit their leadership you must pass a trial of valor. They throw their criminals from the island, and it isn't locked in any one place. The first rumors anyone hears relating to it are occassionally bodies fall from the sky dressed in weird robes.

Working on making my own maps, any tips?

Well you can certainly make rooms, but what are these rooms used for?

How would that even happen?

Sol Iron

Yellow and Gold, slightly malleable as ore, quite soft as ingot, somewhat light.

Forge with Tin to make it into a Sol Steel Ingot. Incredibly dense and heavy, quite firm, pearlescent orange and yellow, refracting qualities.

Oh. My last game had super adamantiums

Pyromantium
Terramantium
Cryomantium
Aeromantium

They could be combined into alloys

Pyro + Air
Cryo + Earth

And them those could be combine into a super alloy

Omnimantium

They all had bonuses when made into weapons/armor.

Murdersilk

Thick strong black threads that, when woven into fabric, have excellent sound deadening properties. Named because *Insert ancient assassin guild here* was rumored to make bags and gags out of it to muffle their victims screams.

Well, there were other middle alloys too, any of them could be combined.

If this is suppose to be a house, the outside shape would be all kinds of fucked up.

If its a box house with alot of unfilled space, then its just poor design.

Its easiest and best to start with an outside design to determine how much space you are able to occupy on the inside without everything being rolled out randomly.

Also, start by making half a map, then mirroring it horizontally or vertically if you need space, then layering it one over the other to make multiple floors. At that point you can just remove certain areas and change room layout for small sections.

Anons, help me out figuring out how to handle the possible evil turn some of my players are having:

>have them come across a halfling with cart on fire
>help him put it out and tell them he is a salesman (they don't know but he's a con artist who sells faulty weapons)
>sells his wares for cheap as thanks and travels with them since they're all going the same way
>later that day they get into combat and the weapons PCs bought from him break
>they realized he scammed them and confront him after the encounter
>after some pressure he relents saying he deceived them and willingly gave back the gold the party gave him
>party doesn't think this is punishment enough so the tiefling monk decides to cut off his hand and foot and wants to kill him
>when I ask why she's torturing she says "I'm a tiefling, I have a tendency to do evil things"
>entire time halfling is begging for his life and to be let go
>party eventually binds his arms and legs together and leaves him on the side of the road while they steal his horse and cart to continue on

Any thoughts on what to do if they keep torturing everyone they get upset with?

>player wants to play a pathfinder race
>tell him he can't
>he links to a dandwiki version

Dude sent them into a life and death situation with something that could have very well got them killed, and after they helped him.

I'd say straight murder wouldn't be unfounded.

>they left him alive

He is found and saved and tells on them, describes them. If they stay in town too long, someone will recognize them and call the guards. Guards capture them to rot in jail, cut off the casters hands and tongues. Reroll, quit being huge cocks.

If you leave survivors you deserve to get caught.

just basic dungeon crawling stuff, I made this using the random dungeon rules. I wanted something a little nicer than just something i'd handdraw in roll20.

I'll probably just decorate it a little in roll20 with free assets

noble background barbarian "rebelling" against his family by going on an adventuring gap year.

They were jumped by bandits, so the halfling wasn't trying to kill them. While I get they were upset only two of the four actually bought something from him (tiefling didn't buy anything she was just "pissed off") and everyone had at least two other weapons on their person without the things he sold them

Have them be recognized by the town guard somewhere, brought before a magistrate who gives them a quest in exchange for their freedom.

aka how to railroad the party without it looking like a railroad

>Hello soldiers, I have some guns for sale here since you quite obviously use guns a lot
>What do you mean the guns didn't work, my bad those were from my "sell to idiots who I expect will get killed" pile. Well clearly a refund is in order

Very clearly a sociopath. World is better without him.

It's in!

Ah, Elementally-different anything is totally my jam. Consider it in!

Nice, it's in!

Two more to go.

If you sell someone weapons in a world full of monsters and bandits, and you know they won't work, you ARE trying to kill them.

Does it have to be a player usable resource, or can it be something like Putrid Lava?

All Kenku feel the absence of flight, stripped from them, but Skree'Awk felt a burning desire to regain this lost art and bring its secrets back to his people. At the age of 12 he overheard a conversation between two men he was about to mug about barbarians in the north who worshipped the spirits of eagles and had learned to fly.

After beating those two men senseless and robbing them of their goods, Skree'Awk journeyed north, following north until he found the Tribe of the White feather. Skree'Awk walked into their camp attempting to communicate his intent to join them. The hail of stones that greeted the terrifying bird monster's entrance suggested that he might not be welcome. So he changed tactics. He instead hung around the edge of the camp observing their rituals and supplications to the Spirit Eagle.

After enough time observing, the Kenku attempted the ritual himself, using the Elder's voice. The Eagle initially thought he had been tricked by some fucking Bard, since all he could see was a crow someone dressed in pants. Eventually he realised he'd been sincerely summoned by the Kenku, and took pity on the weird little thing, bestowing his blessing.

How would you make a demolitions expert?

Well to me, it's not going to be a great dungeon if you don't know the theme or know what purpose the rooms have beyond being 'dungeon rooms'.

Of course you could be playing a different kind of game which is fine, a funhouse dungeon or the like, but if your campaign is more narrative, I'd expect you to have more care about what's in the places your players go.

Alchemist.

Or a blaster wizard with everything re fluffed.

It can be anything you want, friend!

Probably the latter to be honest. They get the bigger explosion spells. Alchemist is stuck with just fire.

I think the tiefling's justification is bullshit personally, but on to your question.

If they keep torturing people give them a bad reputation. Have people start to fear them. Maybe they start getting shadier and shadier work. Suddenly they're part of some dark guild overthrowing a kingdom and installing a puppet king.

Mindsilk

Harvested from a form of silkworm that forms a psionic hivemind, these filaments can be woven into a fabric that can protect the mind of the wearer from telepathic incursion. More advanced clothiers develop unique weaves that mirror the neural patterns of the wearer, augmenting psionic powers.

>The Eagle initially thought he had been tricked by some fucking Bard, since all he could see was a crow someone dressed in pants.

Veeky Forums I'm thinking of implementing a variant rule to spice combat up. If you would attack with advantage you can in lieu of rolling the d20 twice choose to make a called shot. On a hit it suffers weapon damage and you pick a body part (head, body, arm, or leg). The target must make a save, on fail it suffers a small negative, failing by 5 or more is worse, and failing by 10 or more results in the part being crippled.

I haven't hammered out specific effects but am thinking of allowing a rogue to do this in place of sneak attack damage.

Translucent Aluminium

Sounds neat, may need to adjust the DC for bosses though.

M-Yew2

A magically created strand of plants which grow into a large coniferous tree. The wood is shaved down and pressed into sheets, which naturally melds into itself with ease.

The trees will continue to regrow shaved areas until cut down entirely.

Use melded shavings to cut into blocks, panels, bolts, planks, etc., which can then be cut down to any woodworker wares.

Due to the mendable property of this wood, it can repair itself over 48 hours if broken cleanly without major splintering or missing parts.

Yes, this was an excuse to make a type of wood called Mewtwo

if it just regenerates how do you cut it into stuff? Maybe water activates the ability?

I did that once
>Slab of flesh hill dwarf female barbarian (con 20 at level 1, toughness feat)
>Disguises herself as a male dwarf with a fake beard
>Nobody knows she is a woman
>Not even the party
>Buys female whores with the male party members and pays them to just say they had sex
>Doesn't even really care about passing as a male dwarf just finds it funny

True, sounds like a solid excuse.

Must be grown near a naturally flowing river due to extreme demands for water, and must be submerged in water to repair itself naturally.

Seems legit.

A bit sci-fi, but I'm sure something can be worked out.

Sorry, got my 5 materials! I'll keep this in mind though.

Are there any creative combat options for playing an artificer so he isn't just *shoot gun* or *lob bomb* every round in combat?
Is there anything one can do to make/keep the mechanical companion relevant in combat?

Profiteering on faulty goods is a malicious act.
If a roof caves in with no apparent cause and kills a man then the man who built that roof in a flawed manner should be put to death for his negligence. It is even worse when you are preparing something specifically for one who is actively seeking dangerous situations where everything must work as planned or death will occur. Torture is unwarrented however, quick death is fair and just.
/Hammurabi

youtube.com/watch?v=MIMMDk2x-wU#t=3m02s

Friendship fusion golems.

These sound like they're cute and friendly and just want hugs, but the hugs trigger tactical nukes.

FR/Spelljammer.

I've never played or read the latter.

You're doing Ao's work, user. Thank you.