Axiom Verge game

Ive been musing on the idea of making a game for my players based on the world and plot of axiom verge.

drop them into an unknown world with bio mechanical future tech, cut away all forms of identifiable life and replace them with giant AI or monsters.

Then send them about a labyrinthian interconnected world where new pathways will become available as time goes on.

based off the metroid series of course, this would best be lent to a metroid system,are there any good ones? or should i just use something like GURPS

would you guys have any tips to help me out, anything like
- good system
- experience youve had with worlds like this with no human interaction
- mystery and secrets the players find out over time

honestly whats gonna be toughest is setting and environment, getting into the feel of a bio tech world

Thread's probably gonna fall, but still, marking it in case some good art appears.

(and I too would like to hear about how to run such a desolate setting)

good idea, I'm gonna bump with some inspirational art

Just had an idea: take the desolation further. There's no Athetos. No human. All humans are long dead.
You are the Rusalki, ancient biotechnological wonders. Part war/science machines, part actual self-aware beings.
The problem is, everything's long dead. Civilization collapsed a thousand years ago, their labs, factories, tools and computers with them. The most advanced information storage failed as it was never meant to run that long without update or maintenance. So did much of your memory, motion functions, communication and so on.
What's left are the little drones that do all the menial shit. Something somehow woke you (some of you?) up and you had enough power/awareness to get the bots running and repair the rudimentary systems. You're alive, for now.
The problem is, restoring full-body motor functions is either outright impossible with existing tech base, or you're buried beneath centuries of fused rubble and have more pressing matters. Basically, the little bots are your only way to look at the world, manipulate it, and communicate (at least until you manage to get the main comm unit online).

So, PCs as immobile "bases", everything done through shitty little worker drones. What changes? Good idea? Gimmick that does nothing but hassle? Potentially fun but needs improvement (how?)?

how would combat go down?

Is that AT-43? Gonna go steal some art for inspiration.

i guess any metroid art would work too since its the inspiration for axiom verge?

It wouldn't. You can potentially defend yourself with welding tools, but don't expect to kill anything dangerous. Traps, stealth, trickery, being tinies that can fit into spaces the gribblies won't, getting security locks to cooperate so you can wall off dangerous sections, using poisons/toxins/vacuum if they're organic because you aren't. That kind of stuff. And if that fails, well, you have spares.

huh, neat i really like that idea, especially when the "hostiles" start trying to come in and destroy you so you have to do things like you said wall them off

If you did a game in this, how would you go about using the rebirth chambers?

Replacing trace with a group of people, how would you do an athetos character?

look up Project Biomodus, might be of some help

also All Tomorrows by Nemo Ramjet(attached here) and Man After Man by Dougal Dixon might also be worth reading

And why exactly are there hostiles? And why are they hostile? Animal territorial instinct? You're not exactly food material. Their very presence might be a puzzle in itself.

you're not using that and it's a perfect hive expansion. what do you mean it's your body, you're alive and that thing is dead, you gonna eat it or what?

project biomodus is pretty incredible looking

"It must not be forgotten, the legacy of Sudra. In those far remote days, it was a time of war, of battles between angry demons and angry men, when roaring storms of fire and darkness were cast like stones between combatants.

It was not until the sky ocean was torn asunder, the last crop turned to dust, the last brick of the last home shattered, and the last warrior and the last demon lie dying, that the people understood their sin.

And so the arms of the apocalypse were sealed, the masters of patterns castrated, the old machines returned to slumber.

The legacy of Sudra is atonement. It is reparation of the sea and the stars. It is the suffering that brings our salvation."

quotes like these are fantastic