mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

> Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

> /5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

> 5etools
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

> Previous thread
Post your top three classes. Then - your favourite subclass for each.

Fighter - Battlemaster
Wizard - Bladesinger
Barbarian - Totem

Bard - Lore
Fighter - Battle Master
Wizard - Abjurer

Paladin - Ancients
Artificer - Alchemist
Wizard - Enchantment (Or maybe conjuration, divination or abjuration or illusion.. It's hard to decide.)

Warlock - Fey
Paladin - Ancients
Ranger - Any

I may or may not have an unhealthy obsession with faeries.

I think we've just found that one single Changeling: The Lost fan.

Thanks for the help on fluffing my necromancer, lads. I can't wait to try her out next week.

So my latest campaign has spun wildly out of control in the last session and I'm not sure how to work with it.
All my players have been put in this big, multiplane prison that they need to break out of. There are three big gangs that struggle for control of the prison: the dwarves, the giants, and the goblins. Whatever shadowy higher-ups that run the prison pretty much make whatever gang is strongest the guards. Currently it's the giants.
I didn't have a super strong idea of where the story was going, but I was trying to hint that the party should pick a side, help it rise/stay in power, and get its help to escape. What I didn't expect was each player siding with a different gang and hating each other in-character, with constant arguing over which gang is most justified out-of-character. Now they want me to let them fight prison gang-wars against each other, and I don't really know how. Plus a friend who's brand-new to D&D is coming this week, and I have to drop him right in the middle of this chaos and make him pick a side.

Does anybody have any experience running three separate gang-simulator games at once? How fucked am I?

Paladin - Ancients
Monk - Kensai (kind of seems a bit too good to use to me though)
Wizard - Illusionist

Bard- Lore
Rogue - Swashbuckler
Paladin- Vengeance

Paladin - Vengeance
Fighter - Banneret
Wizard - Divination

>(kind of seems a bit too good to use to me though)
You're really overrating it, honestly. It's a bit of a mess but more power to you if you like it and want to play it.

>Fighter - Banneret
Never thought I'd see that

>Fighter - Banneret
What the fuck is wrong with you?

What was the fluffing?

I like Fighters. I like the ability to face. It gives me that without having to multi-class, and alright support abilities in a class that doesn't usually have it.

Ancients Paladin

Totem Barbarian

Tome Warlock.

Never tried it, but in all honesty I might enjoy it...

I custom-tailored my homebrew setting to reasonably accommodate faeries, gothic horror (demons/vampires), and djinn. I definitely know what type of stories I like.

Ignore the haters, you have some seriously good taste. Avengers and warlords are the fukken best.

Hey man don't be like that. It's a good game if you have the right group. I've been running a Ctl game for a while now and me and my mates love it.

Rogue - Mastermind
Paladin - Vengeance
Monk - Open Hand

What can I say, I love scheming villains, edgy heroes, and kung fu dudes.

Is the +1 AC from dual wielding worth it?

Yes. +anything to either hit or AC is always worth it in this game.

Is your Dexterity maxed out or are you wearing plate armor?

There's your answer.

Wizard- Necromancy
Rogue- Mastermind
Paladin- Conquest

Dex and WIS both maxed out

If you're implying you're a monk, get Mobile so you don't have to sit there relying on your AC so much.

So what are everyones interpretations of the different subclasses. I one some of them are pretty straight forward, but I find that players often have a way of putting their own spin on things.

For instance in my mind Oat of rhe Ancients doesn't really have anything to do with nature. When I read the oath I don't think of druids or champions of the grove personally, though I know some people look at it that way.

For me it's about loving life. It's about wanting people to be safe and happy and prosperous. About good company and celebration and enjoying a good fight. Championing light and joy in the world and smiting anything that keeps people from living good productive lives.

I have similar beefs with people saying Oath of Conquest is automatically evil. It's a pragmatic oath that understands that it takes more than winning on the battlefield to end a war.

If I already have Mobile what other good feats are therr

Do small player characters have reduced carrying capacity compared to medium ones? Outside of having the disadvantage with heavy weapons, what other differences does being small make?

I'm trying to think of some spins on eldritch knight that aren't witcher ripoffs.

> I have similar beefs with people saying Oath of Conquest is automatically evil. It's a pragmatic oath that understands that it takes more than winning on the battlefield to end a war.
t. Darth Vader

Depends on your weapon. Do you carry a shortsword? Defensive Duelist can make more of a difference than Dual Wielder.

Do you use a quarterstaff? Polearm Master so you get reaction attacks whenever you're approached is pretty good.

Still trying to think of a way to play a proper blue mage. Eating attacks to get magic. Kinda wanna run it with more abilities as opposed to spells though. Rust monster corrosion and shit.

More like Conan the Barbarian.

I suppose I can understand that, but based on my understanding of history the carrot was honestly often far more effective than the stick. Both have their place of course, but suppression campaigns that relied on force or threat don't have as good of a track record as some other methods. Take the rebellion of the Netherlands in the 1500s for example. Going in and trying to force them to comply and killing those who resisted just pissed the rest off, when the Spanish leadership changed and the new guy started negotiating, bribing, and threatening trade rather than their lives, he got much better results. For a while at least, and then the other europen powers got involved, but that's another story.

Nothing wrong with Witcher ripoffs. My setting features a whole order of them still running around.

But they're warlocks.

Usually no. It'd be good if you stated your build and all that though.

I'd help, but I haven't played Witcher so I really have no idea what you're on about.

So, lads, we're pretty much at a point where we have some substantial amount of content from UAs.

What are your impressions from what's been released from the weekly UAs since they started becoming more frequent?

The culture you're dealing with matters to determine the effectiveness. The conquest approach won't work on European cultures for example, but Middle Eastern cultures tend to act on diplomatic displays as displays of weakness and as an invitation to renew conflict.

Not him, but Witchers are potion-drinking monster hunters who use a little magic to deal with threats.

They're from a Slav-game and book series.

Warrior who uses cantrips while fighting. Hunts monsters for gold.

Is there really no UA this week? I need something to laugh at.

Any game/rules ideas that put emphasis on survival/camping in the wilderness? We're running SKT and my players are excited about stretching their legs after being cooped up in the Phandalin region for a while. They quite enjoyed the traveling and the dangers they posses. I want to capitalize on that and make some fun with it.

So far, they've made a point to get comfy, make camp, make sure people are watching at night. They even take on the first abandoned hut they run into their travels and camp in there to stay safe. They're pretty dedicated to make comfy camps too. It's pretty engrossing as a DM to help them build this.

What is the best class for an agile, lightly armored warrior archetype? Monks fit a kind of different niche with their ki and unarmed strikes and rogues, even swashnucklers, seem to be very subpar in their melee proves. Am I missing something? Is there a dex based build for fighter that uses non-heavy armor or something?

Overall? 4/5 stars. Some solid ideas. Some mechanics that miss the mark. I have a trove of 300ish homebrew I've collected over the last year-ish and only 5% of it is even remotely decent. What I'm driving at is that the UA is better than nearly all homebrew.

Tell me your character's race+class+archetype and character concept, and I'll tell you what item I'd make for it if I was your DM.

If your concept involves a god, tell me the god's portfolio. If you're using something that's not official or UA, give me a description of it.

>Do small player characters have reduced carrying capacity compared to medium ones?
No, small and medium creatures have the same carrying capacity based on their strength. Tiny halves it, and for large and each step above you double it

> Outside of having the disadvantage with heavy weapons, what other differences does being small make?
You can't shove or grapple large creatures. You can move through a large creature's space (difficult terrain though). I think that's about it.

What makes rangers worse at melee then fighters and paladins?

They're pretty okay. I'm annoyed at all of those fey and undead killer subclasses, but forge clerics were okay. Artificers were okay. Paladins were okay.
Warlord when?

Made a new (hopefully much better) version of this with Veeky Forums's great advice.

Lay it on me: why does this suck?

You can be a fighter using studded leather and finesse/ranged weapons. You can build around two-weapon fighting, Shield Master, Crossbow Expert, and/or Sharpshooter.

Eladrin fey-tome-pact lock. On a mission from the summer/Seely court and Titania to skill up until I can help her put a stop to the dark huntmasters (mortals not lords) or the Unseely Court.

Being forced into two weapon fighting, the worst fightign style of all.

One could argue that the Warlord already exists in the form of the Battlemaster fighter, Purple Dragon Knight fighter, or Crown paladin.

I'm not sure what people want the Warlord to do that those options don't already do, aside from have "Warlord" as its name.

Fewer attacks and no smite, respectively

A warlock who was a former wizards apprentice, but was more interested in the darker stuff. He naively made a deal with a succubus for power, thining that he can eventually twist power he gains for good. Ultimately, he wishes to enslave his teacher and be able to summon tons of succubi.

Dwarven forge cleric of Lord of Cinder (death, light, forge). Once upon a time, a dead god appeared her and informed her that a great destiny awaits her, and she'll make him great again.
So she said: "Er-r-r-r, 'at soonds guid, Ah guess".

Variant Human Lore Bard. Was a street Urchin receiving training from a Wizard until he realized I was channeling Bard magic instead of actually following his traditions, so he blacklisted me and threw me out. Now I'm questing to become a better mage and prove myself to him / rub my success in his smug stupid face.

> Battlemaster fighter
Not warlord enough.
> PDK
Sucks ass.
> Crown paladin
Is a paladin.

Enforce encumbrance. My advice is ignore item weights and use the "slot based" encumbrance rules from that RPG I can't remember that hopefully someone will post. If you decide to track food/water, abstract it heavily.

Consider using one day short rests / one week long rests. It helps adapt the "4-5 fights per day" resource design of 5e to traveling.

Bring the world to life. Your regions are the campaign's dungeons. Entering the spooky goblin woods should be as dangerous as the spooky goblin cave, and to camp in the spooky goblin woods is to invite spooky goblin ambushes. They're behind enemy lines, hiding from spooky goblin patrols, and stumbling upon spooky goblin war camps. There should be interesting things tempting them to investigate, at the cost of time and resources.

Always give the party meaningful choices. For example, the dangerous but quick route, or the long but safe route; an exposed camp in the open, or spending resources clearing out a cave. If both routes are equally fast or equally dangerous, the choice isn't meaningful. If they're just going to face one random encounter every day either way, the choice isn't meaningful.

Attack the party's resources. They should not be walking through the Death Mountains without becoming very aware that they will not be able to get in a rest nor stop to forage. They can't just set up camp wherever and whenever they want, nor get food wherever and whenever they want.

See Matt Mercer's Blood Hunter. The Order of the Mutant option is literally just a D&D made Witcher.

Rogue - Thief
Fighter - Battlemaster
Cleric - War

I'm kind of surprised I keep getting a lot of fast responses when I do this.

A silver spear with a pole made of hardened, braided vines. You can use it as an arcane focus and it works with Shillelagh. Once per short rest when you make an attack roll, ability check, or saving throw, you may add a d4 to the d20 roll after seeing the roll but before the DM tells you the result of the roll. The die size increases to match twice your proficiency (i.e. proficiency 3 = d6, proficiency 6 = d12)

A wand carved from an incubus horn. You may add 1 wizard spell as a bonus warlock spell to your list of known spells. You may retrain this spell to another wizard spell of your choice when you gain a level in warlock. The spell must be of an equal or lower level to your pact magic slots.

A holy symbol that constantly trails ash but never diminishes in size despite the appearance of crumbling away. You know Chill Touch and Green-Flame Blade as bonus cleric cantrips.

A stolen bauble from the wizard's workshop. During a short rest, you can recover a number of expended spell slots with a combined total spell level equal to half your bard level. You cannot recover a spell slot above 5th level with this item. Once you use this item, you cannot use it again until dawn of the next day.

Monk- Way of Long Death
Ranger - revised Hunter UA
Druid - Circle of Land Forest

I am a cleric. I am a melee cleric. Is there any good way for me to get one of those SCAG cantrips and be good at them?

Warlock - Fey Tome
Paladin - Ancients Oath
Cleric - Nature

What can I say, I like trees.

>Post your top three classes. Then - your favourite subclass for each.

Fighter - Battlemaster
Paladin - Oath of Devotion
Cleric - Life

that 7th level ability seems like a bit much - that makes the entire party super stealthy, like pass without a trace but free and permanent

Paladin - Devotion (because fuck you edgelords and cowards who are afraid to stand for something)
Wizard - Evoker
Ranger - Hunter

Magic Initiate. Booming Blade doesn't use a casting ability score at all.

Arcana Cleric can access all the SCAG cantrips as bonus cleric cantrips if you want the ones that use casting ability scores.

A Human ranger inquisitor who has been kidnapped from his own plane of existence, and is now trying to hold onto his faith while respecting the extremely strict religious laws of his newfound home.
His faith was the church of Avacyn. My DM grabbed the Innistrad plane shift without knowing really what it was.

I feel you, I didn't know how far to push that one.

You figure it stands alone with just the no-armor-penalty and darkvision? Or would it need something else?

Why does 5E sell so well?

That sounds more balanced

Because it isn't 4E

Ever-blazing Torch (requires attunement) - As a bonus action, you may cause this torch to catch fire. The torch never diminishes no matter how long it burns. An attuned user may also use a bonus action to cause the fire to stop. The item sheds bright light in a 20 ft. radius and dim light for another 20 ft. beyond that. Any undead within the radius of the bright light have disadvantage to attack rolls against you while you maintain your hold on the torch.

Because it's marketing team didn't try to offend the playerbase on purpose, unlike the last time.

yeah that would work better. the advantage on stealth makes the whole party - tanks included - able to travel silently, essentially.

Nostalgia + momentum + social gaming

Same reason 40k refuses to die under the weight of its own incompetence. (I am not implying 5e is shit like 40k)

Could you please elaborate?
What makes it different from other editions, then?

It takes the best of all the editions and puts them together cohesively. Veteran and new players can easily sit down and play. It's easy to add complexity to the system.

Removed it, threw a ribbon on there to round it out. Figured this option could use at least one ribbon.

Warlock-Fiend Tome
Warlock-Undying Tome
Wizard-Necromancy

There was a disconnect between wizards and the playerbase when they pumped out 4th edition, and now at this point it's a meme.

Personally thought it was "fine" but so is vanilla ice cream. Which is what 4E feels like through and through.

Can't really blame Wizards too much though for wanting to seriously limit character ability after looking at some of the shenanigans that chucklefucks got up to in 3.5

>Can't really blame Wizards too much though for wanting to seriously limit character ability after looking at some of the shenanigans that chucklefucks got up to in 3.5

Be fair, WotC printed all that shit with little or no QC. Of course people were going to use it.

>Can't really blame Wizards too much though for wanting to seriously limit character ability
The only things you really can't do in 4e is:
End a battle singlehandedly, or in a single action
Raise a disposable army innately
Get a stat over 30
The first 2 are there to keep individuals from invalidating the group, the last is because similar to 2e, the game recognizes limits that surpassing them puts you on the level of deities.
Unless there is something in particular you were referring to?

You ain't gonna hear no defense from me. Them boys we're geekin.

>walking around in a cellar
>find a tool room full of fucking hammers and shit
>take all of them
>group groans
>turn a few corners
>SKELETONS ATTACK
>everyone has a sword or a bow
>i've got a bag with 20 hammers in it
yeah
who's groaning now fuckers

Wrong. The ASI is a better option. Gives the +1 to more stuff.

the whisper thing seems alright

My biggest issues playing/DMing 4e for easily 5+ years:

>Welcome to combat! You'll be here for two hours. If there are minions, you'll only be here for one and a half hours.
>Congratulations! It's your turn! Which combat button do you press? You pressed the button? Turn over, then.
>In combat, you have about a twenty different buttons to press! Out of combat, you have like three, tops.

I'm glad, my group has been option starved for months. We tend to run a lot of side campaigns so have played through all official material alraedy.

>Congratulations! It's your turn! Which combat button do you press? You pressed the button? Turn over, then.
This is no different from 3.5 / 5E.
>In combat, you have about a twenty different buttons to press! Out of combat, you have like three, tops.
Martials don't even have three buttons in either situation in 3/5E, and if you're not letting anyone in 4E use their combat abilities with terrain targets to fucking teleport everywhere or do whatever the fuck, you've messed up.

Artificer-Alchemist
Fighter-Battlemaster
Wizard-Diviner

What are the best rituals for a warlock to try and pick up early?

>Welcome to combat! You'll be here for two hours
Not different from 3.5, outside of all players having more options built in.
>You pressed the button?
Completely ignores tactical elements or team harmony. A good group works with each other.
>Out of combat, you have like three, tops
I didn't have "buttons" to use in 2e either, so fortunately not having ways to skip roleplay isn't an issue to me.
I just got done with a 4 session oneshot with a group of rookies I called 4E D&D: Prepare to Die Edition, and I had 4 pc deaths in 4 sessions, on top of a shitton of rp.

hackslashmaster.blogspot.co.nz/2015/04/updating-blue-mage-for-5th-edition.html

Anything you could do in other editions could also be done in 4e. All 4e did was add superpowers to everyone. No options were removed. The notion that it's somehow dumbed down when it comes to world interaction is bullshit.