Question

Do magic users care about cats in your setting? Why or why not?

Of course. Between Egyptian Myth and Quantum, cats are invisible immortals. They make the best planeswalkers.

Because a lot of girls assume it's obligatory to have their cat as a familiar when starting their apprenticeship and then they just keep it out of habit.

Yes. The reason they are so popular among magic users is that cats, specifically the smaller varieties, developed a sort of precognition that can be cultivated into prophecy (requires interpretation) and/or sight into the Unseen World. This is, of course, due to their unique position in the food chain as both a nocturnal predator and prey animal. This explains their screwy habits of jumping at nothing (that wasn't nothing; ready your wards) and excessive denning (spirits are incapable of assailing certain enclosed, angular geometries). Naturally snakes, bats, owls, and other such magically-inclined critters have variants of these abilities due to their statuses of nocturnal predation and/or preydom. Owls for example, being apex predators, are better inclined for more ritualistic, scrying-oriented magics.

It's not my setting, but my semi-sheltered wizard prefers rabbits, to the point he designed his robe's hood in the vein of pic related. Grew up with lots of pets and liked rabbits the most, so he's grown into a Transmuter with a rabbit theme to his spell selection. (there have been many jokes about him having a heart-attack when frightened)

It's somewhat indifferent.
They care mostly if the cat in question is a familiar or not.
Outside of that, it mostly depends on the single spellcaster and its own interests and personality.

Stealing this

Fuck you jacob, stop bringing that up everywhere.

Sure do.

>their unique position in the food chain as both a nocturnal predator and prey animal
Move over cats, best familiar coming through

Funcking hell jacob stop bring that shit everytime

No, because I don't like cats

Magicians can get a familiar in my setting and cats are certainly popular, but not the only option.

One of my witches has a salamander familiar. A proper, fire-breathing salamander.

Well, it's an interesting - KITTY!

You're a kitty, yes you are!

Enjoy fucking amazing precognition.
But only for finding bugs.

What is this from?
Image search isn't finding anything.

>A proper, fire-breathing salamander.
Sounds OP

The Witch, The Succubus, And The Cute Apprentice

Son, I'm a code monkey by trade, I would LOVE that!

In days of yore a cat from Ultra stole a scroll from the library of Leng, from right beneath the Head Abbot ' s metaphorical nose.

He was cursed for this, banished from the dreamlands to live his nine lives in the prime. Larger than a house, and many of the get he has sired over the years have been legendary in their own right.

Currently, the party's only full caster (druid...) determined one of his daughters was not amenable to waifuing and decided to ignore all the plot she alluded to. Go figure.

> ultra
Ulthar, fuck, phone.

This.

>Do magic users care about cats in your setting?

Yes.

>Why or why not?

In one setting cats ward of evil spirits, bad luck and black magic. Hence magicians have at least one of them for safety reasons, like modern pyrotechnics have fire extinguishers.

In another setting cats are breathing magical batteries; they passively absorb radiant magical energy from their environment and store it in their system.

>ward of

*ward OFF

Eh, not really. While wild salamanders are the size of tigers and basically lava-spewing brutes, one that has bonded with the witch didn't grow any larger than a cat and has the intelligence slightly higher than a smart dog. All to match the witch in question.

Cats, conversely, can be either small and sneaky or the size of a Maine Coon and can tear off your leg.