Fantasy Plot Hooks

Let's try to get as many plot hooks, settings and stories as we can!

I'll start with one I read somewhere else

"After long milenia of provocation, the Dwarven Empire has finally declared war agianst those uptight Elven bastards. The War machines are coming out of the mountains, the Forests have begun to walk, and so far 11 human kingdoms in the way of the mobolising armies have been wiped out.

This would matter if you were a human, but you're not. You're an ork. While the humies wring their hands and talk about the horrors of war you're being hired by elven taskmasters to poison the Mountain Homes' wells, paid by the Dwarven Elders to burn down the sacred groves, paid by human peasents caught between armies to fight off bandits and deserters.

War is hell, and this is the Last Great War, between the two mightiest empires there have ever been or ever will be. War is hell, but to you're an orc. You were bred for hell."

Let's fucking do this

Other urls found in this thread:

dandwiki.com/wiki/Duckbunny_(3.5e_Creature)
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The leader of your village is traditionally elected in a pie eating contest - the one who manages to eat the most pies in one go wins. The logic behind that is that a ruler who eats a lot is far more likely to be peaceful and lazy, making for a stress-free life in the village.

You've been coveting this position for many years, because you're secretly deeply in love with the leader's beautiful house, its windows showing a breathtaking view of sheep pastures. Unfortunately, you're the scrawniest man in the village. Desperate for a victory, you visit a forest witch and ask her for a potion of inhuman hunger. The price she asks is too much for you, so you end up stealing the potion. Unbeknownst to you, she notices the loss and curses you.

On the contest day, you drink the potion to ensure your victory. At first, everything goes smoothly, and you eat dozens of pies in one go to everyone's surprise. Unfortunately, the hunger only grows stronger when you run out of pies, and you end up eating the linen tablecloth, a dog and the village's highly prized breeding ram. The latter act appals the villagers, who exile you.

Seeking a cure from the curse, you crawl back to the witch's hut and beg her for forgiveness. She reveals that in order to get rid of monstrous appetite, you would have to consume four extremely rare delicacies: an apple of eternal youth from the gardens of the elven emperor, a truffle of truth grown in the deepest dwarven caves, an experimental GMO artichoke engineered by gnomish biomancers and a sabertooth banana - a sentient fruit that went extinct millennia ago, apart from a single specimen frozen inside an iceberg somewhere in the northern ocean.

With these instructions, you embark on your epic eating quest. As if it wasn't hard enough as it is, your adventure is constantly hampered by fits of monstrous appetite that make you compulsively eat everything edible in sight. Good luck, and try not to gain too much weight!

That's pretty good user, more!

A different character from the same campaign:

Francois, the god of kobolds, is dead, having chocked on a particularly bony sacrificial virgin. But the laws of the universe dictate that divine power can not just disappear, only migrate from one vessel to another. No one is sure how it finds its new vessel and whether or not it's guided by any intelligence in its search. Evidently not, because instead of a mighty paladin or a powerful wizard it chose you, a young dugong farmer in a coastal gnome village.

It happens while you're asleep: one day you simply wake up with knowledge of your newfound divinity. However, your fellow villagers aren't quite eager to believe that a greenhorn farmhand suddenly became a god, especially since you fail to perform even the most elementary miracles. Confused and doubting whether or not your revelation was real at all, you go to the church library, looking for answers.

After some research, you find out that even the mightiest of gods are worth nothing without followers. It's from their belief and sacrifices that they derive their power and divine abilities. But in order to create a successful religion, a god needs a unique domain and three symbols of faith. A creed for his followers to follow, a holy scripture for them to recite, and a holy relic for them to cherish. No matter what's the domain, a god can amass an army of followers if his symbols of faith are good.

While the domain is a no-brainer for you, you're not very good at philosophy, writing or craftsmanship. After some more research, you identify three places where they could help you with the symbols of faith. A city of philosophers who spend their entire time arguing about ethics (without caring to follow their own teachings); an elven colony of poets who dedicate their lives to honing their skill of writing; and a dwarven canton where smiths use rune magic to craft the world's most wondrous artefacts.

May the world tremble before the god of dugong farming!

Stealing the emperor's identity was hilarious at first but the rest of the pantheon were not amused when the emperor's soul arrived in the afterlife. They banished Mendax, Trick Sower, to the mortal realm to atone for his sin. In return Mendax trapped them between worlds. And if that wasn't funny enough he was going to devour the gods of other pantheons one by one. Surely they'd find that funny?

Ancient shitpost mosaics are the best.

That's really fucking fetishy

Two Posters Found on a Street Corner

"TURN BACK THE TIDE OF LAWLESSNESS
The Thieves' Guild is a plague upon our fair city! What YOU accomplish with your own hands, THEY plunder through trickery!
Do not believe their lies and do not assist them.
If you have ANY knowledge of the Thieves' Guild report immediately to the nearest City Guard Barracks, Government Office, or Courthouse.
WE WILL PROTECT YOU.
*anyone housing, concealing, or assisting any thieves, pirates, bandits, or burglars will be hanged by the neck until dead"

"this city is rotten to its core. the guard, the politicians, the merchants, the nobles, they're all guilty of inhumanity. defy the overlords.
we'll find you when you're ready"

We all see ourselves reflected in others... ;D

You're elder brother is a legendary monster hunter. Ever since he left home ten years ago, he has been travelling the continent, fighting dragons, giants, all manner of creatures. In doing so, he has gained himself great fame and fortune. The problem is, he also hasn't been home since he left and his letters, while even initially few and far between, ceased last year. You have finally come of age. Your parents have given you the task of seeking him out and bringing him home, whether he wants to or not.

Whenever I peruse a That Guy / Mary Sue / whatever thread here, I sometimes see an idea and imagine "how would I tweak this concept and make it actually interesting and/or funny?" Here's one:

Your father's sword is... something else. He hired the best blacksmiths to forge it, the best mages to enchant it, the best priests to bless it. Supposedly, it could pierce dragon hide in a single stroke, deal every type of elemental damage possible, could heal and protect and even resurrect. He made sure to perform a blood ritual so that it would only serve him or his kin, so his enemies could never use it against him.

It broke after, like, two battles. He died. Your father was a stupid, stupid man.

The sword (which you lovingly refer to as That Fucking Sword) is your only inheritance. It's little more than a jagged bit of metal attached to a hilt, that occasionally spits out magic (but never the spells you want), and because of the blood ritual, you can't even get rid of the damn thing. Also, your family now has to pay off a mountain of debt, because dear old daddy used up your entire fortune to pay for it. Have fun.

Bonus points if the sword talks.

A prominent local merchant goes missing. His family seem to have no memory of him and his business associates seem relieved that he's gone. The only clue to his disappearance is blood rune on his front door that no one in town can decipher.

>Buncha adventure hooks
>No inns

You fa/tg/uys are alright

I like this, it gives off a sort of Disc-World vibe to me with how it works.

I don't know what's going on in this picture but I like it.

>That's really fucking fetishy
I didn't think there was anything amiss until I read your post.

Something you want to share with us, user?

Discworld is a huge inspiration to my setting.

#14 always gets me after reading 12 and 13

You are a coaching inn. That is to say, you coach other, newly built inns on how best to accommodate weary travellers. This seems to be the perfect life until one day a large hotel chain opens in your town, eliminating the need for inns. Now that your life is in shambles, there is only one honourable way to make them pay for this dreadful affront - file a lawsuit!

It starts out hysterical, but quickly runs out of steam.

>Dwarves threatened by serial barber
10/10

The Thieves Guild and Assassins Guild are just medieval organized crime syndicates and are more concerned with protection rackets, sex trafficking and tax fraud than sexy theft and assassination.

LOL, as I already said, it's people with weird fetishes who see weird fetishes everywhere. If I was deranged enough to create a campaign centred around my fetish, it would have to somehow revolve around groping boobs.

Idolizing the man who created the infamous owlbear, a young wizard begins a quest to combine as many animals as he can in his journey to become as famous as his idol. He starts small with pigeon rats and lizard frogs, but as becomes more powerful and ventures into more exotic lands, the creatures become deadlier and more dangerous to the local people and ecology.

>Bearowls

There's a monster specifically made for this scenario.

dandwiki.com/wiki/Duckbunny_(3.5e_Creature)