MTG EDH/COMMANDER GENERAL

Secret Tech Edition

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

Wanna hear your favorite secret tech. Shit that people just absolutely don't expect.

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/14-07-16-CZn-zombie-tribal-edh/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mizzix-needs-cuts/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/07-12-16-landsdec/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/kingdom-hearts-2-1/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/generic-meren-1/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I like liquid metal coating and pic related.
Target the lands with liquid and rekt all mono color decks

>Return to weebland when?

What happened to the EDH discord?

I want to build Derevi but I don't like stax and tribal decks. Any suggestions?

Make your theme a build around dismiss into dream deck. Anything like dismiss, willbreaker, etc using derevi's ability to abuse them. Have fun!

Hi i'm fairly new to magic, have picked up cards randomly, mom used to play and I think I still have her old cards. They were extremely old like pic related old. Im wanting to get into EDH and am wondering is there an Eldritch Abomination Archtype thats good for it and are slivers good for EDH? My moms collection had a lot of old Slivers so I always tried to use them.
Sorry if Archtype isn't the right word for it, im used to Yugioh.

Older cards can be great in EDH and often fall into two categories, stupid powerful and incredibly bad. Slivers are great, but you'll want one of the 5-color legendary slivers as your commander and the mana base will run you a decent amount of cash if you don't have a lot of shocks/fetches/duals/5-color lands already.

No idea what you mean by "Eldritch abomination archetype."

By archtype I mean like Yugioh has with Kozmos, Lunalights, Monarchs, Zoodiacs, D/Ds, Blue Eyes .etc
And by Eldritch Abomination I mean Hastur, Nyarlaythotep, Cthulhu, C'tan, Cthugha .etc

Eldrazi

That sounds broken as fuck, set up a good board and then nuke the shit out of land... Or are monsters permanants too?

Land is colorless so it misses them, creatures are permanents so they get rekt unless they are colorless like pick related

Lands, creatures, artifacts, enchantments and planeswalkers are all permanents.
Color is defined by the card's mana cost. Since lands have no mana cost, they are colorless.

If you want to nuke land, this is your bread and butter

Never. We probably won't even see any stuff from Kamigawa even in Commander pre-cons.

;_;

discords are pure cancer, ive never seen one that wasnt anime circle jerking avatar fagging retards

I want a new block with phyrexia, so I can expand my Clex/Tangle theme Deck.

2015 had the snake guy

>the gatewatch defeat all praetors at once with friendship missiles a la eldrazi titans

every time I think I want to return to a block I just think of this.

But user the Praetors just created a weapon made to enslave planeswalkers, just look at her decks!

>Secret Tech
Imp's Mischief, Withering Boon, Nightcreep, Seedtime

>80 layers of plot armour

I remember all the uproar when that garruk card of him grabbing liliana by the throat happened.
Imagine if they even considered killing a female character in this game that ain't kosher at all

It's a staple in the mono green Nissa eldrazi edh deck
Wave of Vitriol is also fantastic

here comes the fun police

But Atraxa just wants them to cooperate with her
by proliferating their loyalty

There was and even a mention of a Kamigawan fairy tale by that fox girl in the Eldritch Moon lore.

Just bought pic related to try and break into the format. Now all I need is friends to play it against!

Get as much control enchantments as fucking possible.

pic related thoughts? my friend usually concedes when I play this (Gisela is the commander) because it usually does about 40+ damage in a 4 player game for 2 mana. He thinks should be banned. He plays almost exclusively tier 1 commanders too like Tasigur.

its not bad, but you definitely need to add in other red enchantments that double damage dealt to players so you can truly stick it to those tryhard faggots.

WHERE

One of the lore blog things they post on their site weekly a few months back. Was the oneintroducing her and Jace or the one after that. Has a tale about Kamigawa and its spirits and demons, one about Mirrodin's Myr and some other one I can't remember right now.

Tell him to go suck a dick.

On another note, I'm really annoyed by people that play commanders like Gisela, Xenagos, Atarka and Saskia at my LGS.

They play a commander that demands a fast game, yet become upset if you don't let them build a board and durdle.

Yeah, your commander isn't tier one, your deck may in fact be bad. That doesn't change the fact that if I let you keep your commander with two other creatures on board I'm going to fucking die. Your 6/6 and 4/4 suddenly deal 20 damage. One double strike buff on the 6/6 and I'm most likely dead.

Especially when they play cards that give double strike or Berserk effects in their deck.

Also another guy at my LGS that plays a Mizzix deck. I killed his commander 3 times one game, he did nothing but complain and got genuinely upset (He is a newer player with a far smaller card pool, so he feels it's really unfair when we target him). The next time he played his commander, I had the possibility to counter it, but I didn't because he would most likely flip out if I did so. Proceeds to play his entire fucking deck the following turn and win. Never ever letting him resolve or keep his mizzix on the board.

and if your deck does fucking nothing because your commander isn't in play and you're not having any fun as a result, that's your own fucking fault.

If the only two modes your deck has is "absolute shit" and "fucking broken" depending on your commanders position, don't fucking complain when people don't let you keep your commander.

Damn, this even reminds me of the guy who made a Narset deck and sat there not resolving his Narset for a +1 hour long game, complaining about how unfun it was because he did literally fucking nothing but wait until he had mana to cast Narset again.

Then the next game he managed to stick his Narset the first time with haste and proceeded to win after taking 4 turns, several extra combat steps and ultimating his Venser twice.

The third game was a repeat of the first one, nobody ever let him attack. Why would you ever play that fucking deck when you are going for a Beer & Pretzels type of casual game?

It wouldn't be so bad if these people didn't get upset when you don't allow them to masturbate all over the table.

I'm poor so a single Boros deck is all I got at the moment. But I love the card so I am not really fussed. I get what you mean about the instant death or useless, but the guy also has a tendency to play control durdle to a point where if you don't kill him fast you can't play at all late game unless you are also playing a tier 1 deck so I have no regrets. It's usually worth it to Gisela, Price of Progress, Reverberate for over 80 damage when I have been locked out of play for the last 12 turns and he's finally tapped out.

I haven't built many decks from scratch so I'm not too great at it. How does this deck look? Is there anything I should change? tappedout.net/mtg-decks/14-07-16-CZn-zombie-tribal-edh/

What's your budget? There's a lot you can change but most of it would increase the price. EG. Planeswalkers, EDH color staples, better land base, stronger creatures.

Well the thing is I already have most of the cards so I'm not looking to spend too much. The only expensive cards I'm missing are Lich Lord of Unx, Undead Warchief, Lord of the Undead, Death Baron, Makaeus, and Liliana, the Last Hope. The rest of the cards are really cheap things like Zombie Master, Solemn Simulacrum, and Diabolic Tutor. I'd rather not straight up buy Liliana since she's a $40 card and finding someone willing to trade for her is proving to be real hassle. If I can swap her out for something else I will do so temporarily.

Seems OK.

Some of the 1 drops might not be especially good. A 2/2 for 1 with downsides isn't great in commander.

From playing a similar deck I find that cards like Army of the Damned and other slower token makes generally underperform, but sac outlets almost always overperform.

Phyrexian Delver great and cheap.
Phyrexian Plaguelord locks down the board super tight and will make everybody hate you, also cheap.
Gravespawn Sovereign is super fun, but does require a lot of zombies to work.
River Kelpie is some spicy secret tech.
Deep Analysis and Dread Return are both really good, especially with self mill.

Another important thing to remember; I see you're running a lot of hand cyclers. While you can cast zombies from the graveyard, you don't really gain too much benefit from that, especially in a deck that looks like it can tutor for the important pieces pretty consistently.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mizzix-needs-cuts/
Like some user recommended, I'm converting my Niv into Mizzix. Can anyone help make cuts? I'm probably going to try to pick up and add some buyback spells and the rest of the Firemind's Foresight combo.

How do you justify running a 7cmc+ commander? I want to run kaervek but there's no guarantee of getting him out quick

Strong mana rocks like Thran Dynamo and artifact protection, whatever you can find. Take a look at Daretti and Rakdos lists for some ideas. You also have access to black for sac outlets and recursion for value plays

Hi guys, I need some help.
What are some fun ways/themes to build surrak without going into temur goodstuff or dragon tribal?

Also has anyone here tried using Primal Surge as a wincon? Is it worth the trouble to build around?
Thanks anyways :D

Sadly, evasive creatures like dragons are great in Surrak, but if you want to get a bit esoteric, you can try hydras. Surrak making your creature spells always hit means you can safely take advantage of Gruul goodstuff to ramp up and pour mana into them. Throw in storage counter goodness like Silos and reserve cards like Kruphix, and then bust down the door with Surrak's trample. He himself cannot be countered, so it should be easier than you might expect. Kalonian Hydra will wreck worlds. Load your deck with stuff like Negate and Disdainful Stroke to stop boardwipes and take advantage of Yeva, Nature's Herald to flash in huge hydras for tricky blocking.

Well, they killed Elspeth. Theros underworld, blah blah, but nonetheless.

How'd that card cause problems again? I was on a break at that time but whenever I look at it all I see is queen evil bitch herself about to punched.

People got all up in a wad about the "brutality and savagery" of the art. I for one find that to be a strength of the artwork, not a hindrance. While I don't want to see MTG take a 90's Marvel-level of plunge into seriousness, scenes like this really help lend weight to the conflicts that WotC takes such pains to amp up, but always seem to come off as airy and inconsequential.

>Elesh Norn ousts Urabrask, takes total control of Phyrexia
>invades whatever plane they're drawn to first
>suddenly Urabrask comes out of nowhere with an army of self-amassed Phyrexians and full civil war breaks out

Shit would be cash

The weird part is if it was anything except a physical attack it most likely wouldn't be a problem.

Jace causing someone to go insane? That's fine.

Chandra melting the shit out of someone? It's cool.

But just because he's actually hitting her (Which is much less terrifying then the other two examples) it's a big deal. It's Garruk. He's a big guy that hits shit and summons big things. The art really reflects what's going on in the story.

Anyone got the discord link

Urabrask's phyrexians are considered "wiped out" along with sheoldred. Elesh Norn is the one who wields most of the power in the hierarchy. Jin is just a nutty scientist and Vorinclex is content just making timmy creatures.

Violence against women

People found the card to be sexist becuase garruk was physically assaulting and dominating lilliana, which in story context makes ABSOLUTE sense and is totally justified.

Wizards still apologized and made new artwork.

doubly funny because the flavor text provides some of the context that justifies the art.

Doesn't stab wound depict a woman bleeding to death? Or is the problem because its garruk smashing lili's face?

The problem is that garruk is a dude and he's directly inflicting violence and threat on a woman.

It's not actually a problem in story context, just enough of one superficially for keyboard warriors to complain online.

Look up the art for Blood Artist. Violence itself is not the "problem", it's armchair crusaders wanting to complain and WotC dodging before MSNBC and Salon write up hit-pieces pulling from Veeky Forums-related stereotypes

goddamn fucking bear tribal

I have one of these in my Eldrazi tron deck, its straight up won me games.

We won't do it because progressive politics. They claim Kamigawa was racist

I have never heard anybody claim Kamigawa was racist.

i'm thinking about building Alesha but it seems like the only win conditions it runs reliably are combo related besides Master of Cruelties. does the weenie beatdown plan actually works?

Are there any cheap ways to give all my creatures haste in BG? I need it for a Mazirek Combo.

Concordant Crossroads

Akroma's Memorial and Concordant Crossroads are the only two options to my knowledge in those 2 colors

Shit I knew about that one but I forgot it entirely. Thank you.

Thoughts? I recently turned this from a landfall deck to this. I like the end result. I wanna get the old titans but I need to drop the cash. Mindslaver effects are banned from my playground so no New emrakul.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/07-12-16-landsdec/

clones and goodstuff, dragon, big creature stuff ,eldrazi...etc etc.

Really don't think you have enough defense. Your CMC is over 5 and Asuza herself is pretty susceptible to removal. Either find more ways to protect your commander/fatties or more rocks. Also, Amulet of Vigor.

I would change a lot of stuff, actually.

You should add a lot more lands or ways to get lands into your deck. Consider something like 44-50 lands and more ways to fetch them into your hand, like Cultivate, Kodama's Reach and so on. I'm goldfishing a bit and it seems like the deck doesn't take advantage of Azusa's ability at all. I play 3 lands and end up with a hand full of 7-drops. you don't need that many big spells.

Also, cut a lot of the "worse" fatties, like Worldspine Wurm and Artisan of Kozilek. These cards are designed to be cheated out, which is why they don't really fit into a hardcasting deck. However, cards that scale off manacost (Genesis Wave) or cards that have cast triggers (a lot of the eldrazi) are better for big hardcast decks. Also, cards like Breaker of Armies seem "nice" and on-theme but they're sadly woefully underpowered in EDH because face smashing 3 other players with 40 life each is kinda hard

I wouldn't be too worried about azusa dying like suggested. You have a lot of other ways to cheat out lands into play, which is smart. Azusa is a good creature to drop and not worry about, just let her die if someone wants her dead, and then cheat out your lands some other way.

also your deck tends to gas out a lot so i'd suggest adding some big draw engines like Mind's Eye and so on

Are obelisks a decent replacement for signets as manarocks?

Considering most games I'll accelerate to turn 5-6 on turn 3. I'm never usually have issues casting anything. Issue more lies in drawing threats. I'll increase the land count but there's no real way to decrease a cmc of this deck and keep it's effectiveness. I'm not going for the competitive Azusa build, just big dump durdly creatures.

I'll remove Artisan but the wurm is a pet card. I've never had issues casting it, thankfully. Plus it's great wrath insurance. Breaker will be replaced once I get the old titans but that's probably gonna be a while.

Yeah, wish I had an extra. Already got one in each of my non-blue deck. Haha. Will probably replace with something more budget, like Howling Mine for now.

wasn't Urabrask allowing the humans to hide in the furnaces? Maybe he can actually get an army without phyrexians

>"Red mana was a mistake"
-Elesh Norn

Relatively new to EDH and Magic in general. Any tips on what I should cut, upgrade, or swap out for my generic Riku deck? Maybe some control enchantments?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/kingdom-hearts-2-1/

I feel like I have too much ramp, but I can't tell. Trying to strike a good balance between usable creatures that could be threats, spells, and ramp is tough.

>I feel like I have too much ramp, but I can't tell. Trying to strike a good balance between usable creatures that could be threats, spells, and ramp is tough.

almost every EDH deck I make starts with 10 ramp cards. some decks take less, some take more. if you're not building for ~competitive EDH~, you typically want to build for a high chance of getting a balanced hand that includes all the types of cards in your deck in the beginning of the game. here are some guidelines i use

>if you want 1 of these cards in the first 5 turns, put 5-6 of them into your deck (board wipes, high cmc bombs, etc.)
>if you want 2 of these cards in the first 5 turns, put 10 of them into your deck (ramp, draw, subthemes in gameplan like reanimation or commander synergy)
>if you want 3 of these cards in the first 5 turns, put 20 of them into your deck (major theme stuff, like evasive attackers in an edric deck)
>if you want 4-5 of these cards in the first 5 turns, put 30-40 of them into your deck (lands)

Which cuts should I make for Pawn of Ulamog and Satyr Wayfinder?
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/generic-meren-1/

I use Medomai the Ageless as my commander and I found this guy.

Will exiling Medomai allow me to take infinite turns as long as I keep making contact? I think so but I wanted to make sure before I put Identity Thief in.

Due to Identity Thief never initiating the attack AS Medomai, but hitting the opponents transformed, it seems like infinite turns, yes. Suprised that almost no other people have thought of that on edhrec.

That's what I thought. I couldn't find the combo anywhere so I thought it must not work but yeah. It's a pretty decent combo for my budget casual deck.

Did someone say Secret Tech? How about a hexproof Bribery as your commander?

I've actually got a Lazav deck as well as my Medomai deck. Looks like I'm going to be ordering a few cards and pulling out a few tricks.

Your exiled legend comes back and sees the clone still a copy of itself.

The identity thief becomes Medomai when it is exiled. At the beginning of the end step, Medomai returns. Identity Thief is still a Medomai at that point, meaning the legendary rule goes into effect and you have to sacrifice one.

Doesn't work unfortunately.

Aw shit. Still an extra turn for 4 mana and it's a decent card outside of that.

I'll put him in anyway.

So beginning of end step rolls out before end of turn? That region of the phases and steps of the game was always nebulous for me.

apparently "end of turn" effects actually end at cleanup, not the beginning of the end step.

Yeah, the ending phase has two phases. The end step, and the cleanup step.

The end step is when cards that have "at the start of your end step" trigger, and is a each players last chance to get priority that turn (Unless other abilities trigger that you can respond to), so when your opponent passes and you say "at the end of your turn / before my turn, I do X", this is when you are doing it.

Cleanup is when you discard your hand, all damage is removed from creatures, and "until end of turn" effects end. If something triggers as a result (say an ETB from the creature exiled until end of turn), players can respond to that, and the cleanup step restarts once the stack is empty (In case of damage / draw resulting off the trigger, you still have to discard down to 7 and damage is still removed from creatures).

Now this following tidbit has zero effect on actual gameplay, because wizards has worded their game properly, but might be nice for you wannabe card creators out there.
Say you have a creature that deals 1 damage to all creatures on ETB on a board of 2/2s. If you exiled that creature "until end of turn", it would NOT kill the 2/2s when it came back, as the end of turn effect would trigger at the same time as the damage would be removed.
This is why all temporary exile effects say "return at beginning of end step" and not "end of turn", and why a Giant Growth saves a creature from a Lightning Bolt.

I realized that my etb during cleanup example of a trigger happening is a bit flawed since none of those exist, say you have a 2/2 with a giant growth buff when your opponent has an elesh norn and a blood artist in play. During cleanup the creature would die and trigger blood artist.

My friend wants some help building a chaos deck, who would you recommend for the general?

Norin the Wary
Jhoira
Nin

Vial Smasher.

Suicide

>my friend wants help building a chaos deck
The help you should give him is more in the form of a swift smack than deck advice. Trust me, no one will have fun with that shit. But, if you really REALLY insist, I'd say Ydris, so you can splash all the non-white chaos nonsense that exists, and by jove there's a lot.

why is this card not played more often? it seems like it would be awesome in token decks but i rarely see it

My secret tech is Tainted Pact in Toshiro Umezawa.

The deck only has 2 groups of 4 cards which share names (4x Swamps and 4x Snowcovered Swamps), so often times it's an instant speed demonic tutor. Also, I love running the riskier black tutors like Spoils of the Vault, Demonic Consultation, etc.

More secret tech would be Darkness, Tainted Pact (I get the packs), and Sudden Spoiling

Oops, the second mention of tainted pact should be tainted strike.

3 mana is just too much.

I tried to make a really budget janky WB token deck and even in that it was too expensive for what it did.

You're better off playing Culling Dais. It can only sacrifice one creature a turn, and only draws all at once, but at the cost of 3 mana you can usually only afford to sacrifice one thing per turn anyways, and the dais gives you an easy sac outlet to exile, control or simply if you want a death trigger.

It's because 3 mana is a lot. If you only have weenies then skull clamp is leagues better. If you have bigger creatures you use greater good.

Most colours that would want it have better shit. Plus skullclamp is better.

pic unrelated of course.