MTG Story Thread

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/puppets-2017-01-25

Implications towards the next set!
Characters written somewhat acceptably!
People mentioning the Elder Dragon by name!
Did Wizards finally put out an acceptable bit of story this day?

Other urls found in this thread:

mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Gix
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Implications towards the next set!
One of Lili's demons is apparently there. Kaladesh was Chandra's block, maybe Amonkhet will be Lili's. Maybe even more cool Lili walkers to be printed? Then again, we just got like the 2nd best Lili ever so perhaps not.
>People mentioning the Elder Dragon by name!
"Tell me you didn't just figure that out." Yes Lili, please. You're my mtg waifu, please be smarter than this.

Also

>"Gids," she said through clenched teeth. >"I'm...I'm gonna let go."

It also had Liliana animate a zombie too, which was nice to see.

I do think that the people of Kaladesh don't have necromancers, so them seeing a zombie for the first time is probably about the creepiest thing they've ever laid eyes upon.

Acceptable, until the horrible scene with Chandra and Gideon. I would hope that Chandra finally dies on Amonkhet, but know that this will in all likelihood never happen

Xth for DELETE GATEWATCH

Innistrad was Liliana and Jace.

I expect we'll get another Liliana on Amonkhet, probably with another Gideon, a Bolas and two/three other walkers. We need a new Oath for the Gatewatch too.

>another set and still no Phyrexia in sight

The Gatewatch is here to forever remind us of Eldrazi winter

>tfw Gix will eventually return and purge us of the Gatewatch

>We need a new Oath for the Gatewatch too.
Oath of Bolas, calling it now!

My hope is we'll get a new Bolas card, a new Liliana card (or a straight up reprint of LotV), the planeswalker card related to Amonkhet (probably green-based), a new Jace, and a Jaya Ballard Planeswalker card for when Ajani shows up with help from Dominaria.

What horrible scenario would need to happen for that to actually occur?

I assume they'll eventually have an Anti-Gatewatch dream team of Tezz, the Gorgon assassin, Nicol Bolas of course, and a variety of evil doers from different planes.

And then they'll have to team up to defeat Phyrexia Reborn.

Perhaps as an Anti-Oath, or an Oath for the destruction of the Gatewatch

>Old Lady Jaya showing Chandra how to properly commit mads arson

You know you want it

>With a calm and controlled demeanor Bolas stood up from the throne in his sanctum chamber.
>The force of the the Gatewatch trying to break down the vault door was showering him with dust.
>He allowed himself a smug smile. As if he hadn't seen this coming like christmas. They had no idea what welcome he had prepared for them.
>The vault doors started to crack. Any minute now.
>He started to walk towards doors... and them stopped.
>A blast of concentrated mana exploded the door into a million pieces, caoting him with dust.
>His smile widened as the dust settled and the Gatewatch stepped into his inner sanctum.
>With a condescending look he inspected this, this, this band of justice. How laughable. A tired soldier, an autistic elf, Liliana of course and..
>His eyes suddenly locked with the great Leonin towering over all the others.
>Suddenly his heart skipped a beat and his world went pink...

>Ajani traipsing around old and new planes to recruit walkers for the war against Bolas while the rest of the Gatewatch fuck around
>Soon there's a Gatewatch member for every plane and color combination ready to kick some Bolass
>The Gatewatch monocolor crew have shit the bed and are already attempting to overthrow New Bolasrexia on their own
>The cavalry arrive just in time to witness the five get rekt by Bolas' patented illusionary clone with 1/10 of the elder dragon's power exerted when jacking off

Definitive In-Jacetice League and their colors (at least as far as I'm concerned)

Bolas (UBR)
Tezzeret (UB)
Elspeth (as a Returned, now WB)
Ashiok (UB)
Tibalt (BR)
Vraska (BG)

Fun story, not the best but not the worst.

So when are these Planr Gate creating fuckers gonna accidentally either open a gate into a Phyrexian invaded plane, or simply attract their interst by using the same plane hopping tech as Yawgmoth?

Not soon enough.

>Accidentally find an Old Phyrexian world
>get wrecked by Negators

>Everyone's Black

What happened to "color doesn't mean alignment, you can be good black or evil white!"

I mean, sure, we've seen a few evil white organizations, but how about Wizards gives us a real WG villain planeswalker, who's just blatant evil? Please?

White is the true evil color.

Prove me wrong.

>He doesn't believe in Norn's truth

Tldr?

tl;dr:
>previoysly on kaladeshi nights, gideon has feelings for Chandra, but she reveals that she self identifies as a missile
>liliana gon' kill tezz
>gotta make a zombie to kill tezz
>kaladesh no liek zombie
>liliana doesn't kill a bunch of kaladeshi soldiers on the way because maybe she's nice I guess?
>finds tezz and his portalnotportal
>fight scene!
>banter!
>liliana is the last person in the world to realize tezz is working for bolas
>turns out liliana has a demon on amonkhet
>gideon was willing to try being a missile too, maybe this relationship can
>EXPLOSION!
>the gatewatch survived, tezz probably did too.

Will Tezzeret ever succeed at anything?

I'm starting to feel bad for the guy

Nixilis, Nahiri and Garruk will almost definitely be in the League of Bolas

We're guaranteed to get a Bolas card, since Bolas cards are already referenced in Dart Intimations.

Does it really need to be a new one? The original one is badass and newer players may be excited to see how the recently printed ugin is a mirror card to it.

You should. He's been mind raped so many fucking times that he can hardly call any part of his mind his own any more.

Furthermore, he gets his ass kicked by the fucking Gatewatch. Which is a sympathetic situation for anyone.

Thanks for reminding me that today is KonoSuba day.
He succeeded in making his arm and that's about it.
>failed to be a Seeker of Carmot
>pulled a coup on Bolas and then failed to go anywhere with it
>had his best book revoked from canon
>didn't really get anything done on Mirrodin, but he was just there to be a roadblock anyway
>planar gate destroyed
Tezz is literally written to be a bumbling henchman.

Urza gets revived after Karn has been trashed to oblivion. How fucked are we?

no they won't, even bolas isn't going to keep Ob off Nahiri's throat in close quarters and garruk is at constant risk of killing any planeswalker in his vicinity for the hell of it.

>No nix
>no really pissed off sorin

You don't need Karn to die for Urza to fuck everyone over.

I would like to see the gatewatch continue to kick tezzs ass, and for the consul to win because of tezzy distracting them

Sorin is fucking dead

no, he's just stuck in a rock.

now that I'm thinking about it, can't planeswalkers planeswalk to another plane whenever the fuck they want? couldn't he just planeswalk the fuck outta that rock somewhere else?

It's a magic rock

Oftentimes in stories, many bonds that are seemingly purely physical somehow (most likely through magic) stop heroes and villains from "just planeswalking the fuck outta them" or whatever clever means of magical escape they might use.

In other words, it may seem like being able to teleport would solve the problem of being stuck inside a rock, but oftentimes it isn't so, if only because the story is better served by not trivializing nonlethal forms of pacification.

Planeswalking takes a lot of focus and it's hard to concentrate when you're being constantly slashed by rocks.

It's explicitly said in the story that Nahiri made the rock continually crush his entire body so he would be unable to focus enough to planeswalk.

His body is pretty much being ground into a liquid slurry, allowed to regenerate, and then crushed again. Forever and ever.

when nahiri trapped him it was said he was kept in just enough pain to deny him the focus to planeswalk. theoretically he could grow numb to the pain of being fused to a fucking rock and then 'walk away, but that could take a while

The rock is penetrating him. He is in too much pain to focus for planeswalking.

>The rock is penetrating him
>The Rock is penetrating him

>Urza gets revived
>Becomes the new Father of Machines

We're fucked

I am of the opinion that Selesnya are the true villains of Ravnica

Granted, that was just meant to hold him in place long enough for Memerakul to finish him off with the rest of the plane while Nahiri bounced.

I suspect since that didn't happen, someone is going to discover to their cost that rage is a hell of an anesthetic, and Sorin will get loose eventually.

He will probably be at least half-insane from the pain, isolation, blood starvation, and UNYIELDING RAGE, but that's really going to be everyone else's problem.

>sorin breaks free of his rock prison after being driven 50 % insane
>sees all of his hard work destroyed
>gets fucking pissed
>really fucking pissed
>pledges to find every member of the gatewatch and kill them for what they did to his home
How fucked are the gate watch?

But they saved it, they just didn't save him since he was being an emo dick

To be fair, he never even met Jace. The Gatewatch is a nonsense word to him, he just knows Nahiri ruined everything and then Olivia stabbed him in the back and stole his sword when he needed her help.

Which...I'm imagining won't go so well for the Voldaren bloodline when Sorin can move again.

He met Jace and Tamiyo when he WAKE ME UP INSIDEed Avacyn

Nahiri isn't evil as much as she is buttmad.

I recall they were pretty much in the background from Sorin's pov. He was just there to end Avacyn

To be fair, enslaving an entire species and then engaging in genocide because you're butthurt is fairly evil.

I would pay good money for this.

When Sorin met Tamiyo and Jace, he only recognized her because she was the weird planeswalker that was studying Innistrad's moon and he was kind of curious to read her research. To my knowledge, he thought Jace was a mook and gave literal 0 fucks about him.

In her mind, she blames Sorin and Ugin for not showing up when the Eldrazi broke loose on Zendikar, and went full on scorched earth mindset against Sorin after seeing Zendikar getting fucked over by Ulamog and Kozilek.

I understand her REASONS, I'm just pointing out it's still evil to decide everyone living on the same planet as the guy who stabbed you in the back deserves to die because your home got rekt.

I like how tsundere Liliana is when Tezz ask about him:

>Ohh so you have feelings for him?
>N-No! Shut up, baka!
>Then how come you still hang around him?
>I only use him to kill my demons, it's not like I love him or anything...
>Why all your zombies wear a blue cloak?
>...it's the lastest trend in necromancy
>And what about that tattoo on your chest 'BELEREN'S BITCH'?
>...it was given by one of my demon lords?

She appears to be a huge Tsundere. She keeps talking about meat whenever Gideon shows up.

Doesn't seem to realize pretending she's just hungry doesn't hide how thirsty she's getting.

When you have 1000+ years old, trapped and fucking piss, "good" or "bad" are meaningless.

>wotc is never gonna make Planeshift: Ravnica
>feelsbadman

So, we'll most likely get Gideon + your pick of Jace or Lilliana (Lilli has a better shot imo tho). Then there's Bolas and up to two other characters, of which one of them HAS to be a new character and an Amonkhet local to keep the character rooster getting fresh blood.

We are also getting another Oath, so there needs to be a returning character who will either get the last spot in Amonkhet or one of the two in Hour of Devastation. Who do you guys think this returning character could be?, I'm thinking...

>Sarkhan
>Ugin
>Narset

I think Sarkhan has a good shot of appearing in the first set while Ugin could appear in the second, Narset is kind of a wild card though.

>Oath of Sarkhan
>GUR
>When Oath of Sarkhan comes into play create a 4/4 Red and Green Dragon creature token with flying.
>At the beginning of each end step, if a planeswalker entered the battlefield under your control this turn, create a 4/4 Red and Green Dragon Creature token with flying
>"As long as I get to keep having sex with dragons, I'll keep watch."

>Ugin
Isn't he like, SUPER dead at this point in the storyline?

>3 drop making a 4/4 flyer

Ugin is alive thanks to Sarkhan's time traveling shenanagins. Also he was on Zendikar for BfZ and Oath.

Also I wanted to make Sarkhan's Dragon fetish evident.

Ugin is super alive actually, restored by the plot device that was the Tarkir Block.

What the fuck he's doing though is a good question.

I'm calling Narset. I bet she did well in popularity polls plus she's cute.

Sarkhan could make a return but I highly doubt it since there weren't dragons in ancient egypt (cue to some historyfag), unless he's there to have a revenge against Bolas or something.
Or both! Narset in Amonkhet and Sarkhan in Hour of Devastation.

Speaking of which, will the Jacetice League win and have Bolas escaping or will they be defeated? I'm rooting for Bolas in this one.

sounds pretty evil to me

they go rush in unprepared, against Ajani's judgment. This sounds as if they get a bloody nose (and hopefully, Nissa or Chandra dies)

I don't think wizards have the guts to kill off any of the mono plainswalkers, seeing as so much marketing have gone behind them that Wizard's Marketing Dep. would throw a hiss fit if they even suggested such a thing.

So if anyone dies it will be Ajani or some no name background planeswalker

They won't kill anyone of the Jacetice League, I'm expecting two of them seriously injured and/or mentally broken.

Who's Gix, I'm a newbie, is he a cool guy who could wipe the floor with the baywatch?

It would be amazing if they kill one of them, like a sudden twist in this simplistic, predictable, saturday morning cartoon crap, but sadly it won't happend.

I just hope Bolas will wreck half of Jacetice league.

He went toe to toe with Urza.
mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Gix

Good and evil is something beyond oldwalkers. At that point, everything's just an interplanar game of chess.

Sorin saw Zendikar as Nahiri's shit and saw no reason to care about it. He didn't see it as a world.
Similarly, Nahiri saw Innistrad as Sorin's property rather than a world. She wasn't committing genocide and destroying an entire plane, just was just wrecking Sorin's house.

It's a case of oldwalkers being oldwalkers and everyone else just going "dude, what the hell."

almost anyone can beat the gaywatch. its not hard, wotc is just making everyone in the universe job to them

Does anyone have The Secretist pdf?

It's 3 different colors. I think that's reasonable.

We're moving on to two-color walkers now for Oaths and I'm not sure they'll do a WU-walker in Amonkhet after Kaladesh had a WU-walker of its own.

Maybe a RG Sarkhan. RG hasn't gotten planeswalker love since Theros.

Arlinn Kord was in SOI

Sarkhan isn't a dracosexual. He's an otherkin who happened to be right about being a dragon.

>Ajani dying
Pls no, don't make me think about it :'(

Nicol Bolas and Ajani are the only planeswalkers I care about at the moment. Everyone else is just so boring.

They'd be pretty fucked. Even Lili is scared shitless of Sorin. The only reason why he's as grossly incompetent as he is half the time is because he's a lazy arrogant fuck. But piss him off enough, and assuming he doesn't act retarded, he would positively wreck the Gatewatch's collective nuggets.

That being said, I highly doubt he ever would. After he gets out of that rock, his first target is Olivia. He'll want his fucking sword back. Then (after some possible genocide on Innistrad) he's going straight for Nahiri. I suppose he might vindicate Lili if he ever sees her, since she busted Nahiri out of the Helvault. But I seriously don't think the Gatewatch even registers on his radar so long as they don't draw his attention.

So what should his oath do? Turn a Planeswalker you played before your combat step into an Industructable 4/4 Legendary Dragon with Flying and Haste until end of turn at the beginning of combat?

If I were DMing this game, I'd declare wrecking a whole plane because you're buttmad a decidedly evil action.

I mean, Sorin and Ugin both let her homeplane be destroyed. I'd be pissed too.

Pissed, evil, and shilling for yourself on Veeky Forums. No one thinks you're the good guy but you, Nahiri.

To be fair Ugin was dead/comatose depending on the timeline.

Sorin was still a dick though.

Ugin was dead/hedron'd and Sorin was deaf. Not really "let her plane die" so much as "didn't know anything was going down." And in their defense, Sorin did come the second time and even went to find Ugin.

Dumb question and probably unanswered, but when Sarkhan traveled back in time to before the Mending did he have Oldwalker powers while he was there and just never tested them because he never knew it?

>Ral Zarek is never gonna be relevant again
feelssadman

I dunno, I can't imagine him being enough of a team player to join the Gatewatch. Especially if they end up doing things that don't involve dragons.

Honestly, Sarkhan has been fucked so hard that I wouldn't mind if they just left him alone with his good ending. I like the idea of him being unbroken.

don't worry, we have a new UR-walker: Our super-special FEMALE and INDIAN planeswalker who likely will become part of the super popular Gaywatch later

Doubtful. Sarkhan will end up seeking revenge at some point. They'll probably kill Narset so he has a reason to seek revenge against Bolas or some other contrived plot to get him to join the Gatewatch.