mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

> Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

> /5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

> 5etools
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

> Previous thread
What's your favorite nonhuman race to play? What's your favorite part of it?

Other urls found in this thread:

sageadvice.eu/2016/04/21/can-i-cast-underwater/
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/classes.html#Cleric,
discord.gg/vDFsRg2
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/crcalculator.html#
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>What's your favorite nonhuman race to play? What's your favorite part of it?
Elfyboots because while the rest of the party is sleeping I can play pranks on them

This is why people hate elves, y'know. Damn sexy elves.

Can a spell with a verbal component be successfully cast underwater?

Dwarf. Hammers and Axes and Ale, oh my.

By RAW and RAI: no.

sageadvice.eu/2016/04/21/can-i-cast-underwater/

However as a note, you can't hold your breath if you perform verbal components.

Sorry shit, the answer should be "yes, they can be cast underwater," but you can't hold your breath if you do.

So, do you drown when you cast a spell?

Dwarf. They're strong, stout, bearded and have incredible attention to detail. Craftsmanship and creativity matter to them.

Caveat: No Celtic or Scandinavian accents.I only play dwarves with a thick Russian accent because.

I also like to play with dwarven fastidiousness. My cleric's order believes that making the world more permanent is the ultimate virtue. Building things that last longer than mountains, stopping rampant wild growth. Ideally, time would just stop. This makes some things difficult, though. Healing can be considered heretical and no spells with material components are allowed. Additionally, he will put out ANY fire that he can see because they are always shortlived and consume fuel, changing things permanently.

He has very low charisma.

Or start suffocating (Con mod rounds minimum 1) at least. It's one of the areas 5e's rules just kind of gloss over.

Kind of a toss up between kobolds and gnomes. Just clever creatures who are good with their hands and can fuck up enemies six ways from Sunday when given prep time.

We don't need two threads:

Want to put players through a series of tests to win MacGuffin. 6 tests, one each on STR, CON, DEX, INT, WIS & CHA. Got the basic ideas for the first 3, and CHA. What are some good tests of INT and WIS? Preferably that can be confined to a room.

This one has more posts.

Int should be a test of memory, Wis should be a test of awareness.

Int could be one of those simple card-matching games, maybe with stone cards instead.

Wis could be to notice something out of place, either in a sentence or in a picture.

Who's got more cute art of monster races and their pets? Just stuff that shows culture instead of 'squishy thing that sometimes gets violated via blade'

Reposting here because this thread seems to be the more active one.

Beyond flavour text, how can I go about differentiating 53 deities with 5e's handful of domains? Is there still any reason for deities to have favoured weapons? Have there been any domains introduced in UA's that I may have missed?

One of the only things I've seen for sure that a deity's favored weapon should come into play with is Spiritual Weapon for Clerics. It flavor texts the spiritual weapon to be the deity's weapon, even if it's the same damage dice. As far as differentiating... good luck? There's probably a lore book in the master books list but I haven't seen anything except the small section in the Core manual

5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/classes.html#Cleric,

UA has introduced Forge, Grave, and Protection. There's also Arcana in SCAG, and City in another UA but that doesn't fit.

Favored weapon would probably work fine to come back, but might be better as an RP thing. Say the cleric gets to a high enough level, their deity blesses them with a magical version of that weapon.

As for differentiating them... Honestly, fitting them into the existing domains is easier than trying to make different ones for all of them. That's a lot of deities, too many to reasonably homebrew stuff for.

>kobold with bat ears and nose
That's cute

Hoping this is the surviving general at the end of this /5eg/ division.

How would you deal with a Warlock actively fighting his patron? If it were flavour I'd say take away the powers, but given it's a full class...

I definitely never planned a unique domain for each god, there's a lot of overlap, but I was worried that the 7 or so domains would mean there'd be a great deal of same-suggested domain deities, even if every god was given 2 or 3.

Thanks for the link and info, this should help out a lot.

Riddle contests, obviously

Warlocks gain magical secrets from their patron. It's not a cleric-deity or paladin-oath connection. Say they either have to find a new patron or that they can't take any levels in warlock anymore.

"find a new patron"
You don't have a direct number to GOO/Fiends/Fey etc.

What should a mutation of a long prehensile tongue give my player?

Well they better find one, then.

Depends on the patron and the nature of the pact. If it's a literal contract, then surely it describes some consequences of the warlock failing to hold up his end of the agreement, whatever that is. If it's just drawing power from a Great Old One or something else that the patron isn't even aware of, then he could get away with opposing his patron's interests.

Weird looks in public

A vore fetish.

But in all seriousness: ability to hold an item while still holding their shield/sword? Just look at the rules for prehensile tail from 3.5. I think it was ability to hold a 2 lb or less object and bring it to the hand as a bonus action.

It's sort of a "I'll let you return to life this time, but when you die next, your soul belongs to me, and in the meantime, you serve me alone." sorta vibe.

Except the Warlock isn't too happy about this, so while he likes the power, he also wants to get rid of the patron by whatever means.

My default preference is for human characters and I don't play other races unless them being of a different race is necessary to the concept and personality of the character.
A tiefling dedicated to a good aligned god who wants to become famous so they can reduce prejudice against tieflings through word of their good deeds is very different from a human who is trying to reduce prejudice against tieflings because they're a faggot that just got out of university.
A character that is supposed to be deranged or crazy in some way would just be treated like a deranged crazy person if they were human, but Lizardfolk can act like that and be treated like they're expected to be like that and nobody is surprised.

The ability to interact with or hold an object even with both hands full, but they can't talk or cast spells with somatic components when they do this.

And nip them trying to wield a shield in their tongue in the bud, of course. The taste bud.

Material components aren't consumed unlesss spell descriptions say that they are.

foreverDM so I never get to play, if I ever get the chance I'd love to build an alligator man character. no weapons, heavy armor, mainly centered around throwing miscellaneous objects, grappling, biting->shaking->throwing things, maybe splash him with some batman casting geared towards enhancing close-quarters combat. total retard outside of combat that's super aggro, sometimes needs to be told that a fight is happening to engage in it while just chillin' with my mouth open and a glazed look. that's at least one idea for dozens of characters I'll never get to play.

Yeah, kind of notice that when reading the description of pic related.
>Need to be underwater to activate
>But you have to also speak a command word to activate

Is it a good idea to have your players chase something through a dungeon?

Not by default, no. What kind of ideas do you have for it?

The dungeon is essentially a Goblin Castle, filled with gimmicky fights, from Toad Cultists, Goblin Junkies, a fight in a Kitchen with strange ingredients, interrupting a Goblin teaparty etc.

One reason the party is there is to rescue an NPC who is in the prison in one of the towers. The prison his guarded by two Hobgoblin Guards and a weedy ass goblin named Keykey, because she has the ring of keys around her neck.

Keykey is like a regular goblin except she has no attacks, 1 HP, and maybe a bit higher AC?

When combat breaks out, Keykey hides until she can run, or Disengages and bolts out the door. She runs to the next room, warns whatever is there the PCs are coming, and hides in that room.

It essentially becomes a weird hide and go seek game with a weak ass skittery goblin.

The jail door can also be picked or broken with a good enough check so it becomes a silly optional thing instead of something necessary to do.

Seems like fun. A crafty party could make an easy time of it but a strong-headed party will face some good challenges.

I haven't decided if I should give her a higher AC so she's a bit more slippery than most goblins.

Higher AC, but slightly more than 1 HP.
1 HP could wind up having anyone with a long range attack ending this idea you have before it even starts.

I would just use the generic goblin stat block. They're pretty slippery as-is.

Or use the Goblin Boss one since then Keykey can shift other goblins to take shots she might otherwise take.

5 HP, 15 AC?

I could do that, I'd have to drop the HP lower though just to make her really pathetic and rely on other goblins to survive.

I've already got two Goblin Bosses in the Castle. One for the King with a Nilbog fool, the other that's like a Captain of the Guard that rides a human in a riding harness.

>5 HP, 15 AC?
Maybe 8-10 HP?
That way they'd have to corner Keykey, rather than hope their potshots hit.
Still 5 is probably more than enough.
It is up to you, after all.

Give them flat disadvantage to hit her at pretty much all times, she is flighty and hard to hit, constantly weaving and dogding which is why they gave her the keys.

Disdavantage to hit with a normal goblin stat line may give her a decent chance to actually escape the first room alive.

Are there any other spells or abilities like Spirit Guardians or Guardian of Faith?

Yeah I guess that's the easiest way to do it. though making her a Goblin Boss would just be evil

Mordenkainen’s Faithful Hound?
What effect are you looking for exactly?

I want to set up a massive naval battle between two pirate companies (both with corporate backing), but I have no idea how that works. How do I do it?

The idea being my players will pick one side, or the other, or duck out entirely.

Spells a priest could use to skirt around directly harming foes, preferably by summoning holy ghosts to do the dirty work.
Seems like the only other option would be the ancestral barbarian UA but that's a lot of levels for not a lot of payoff

Banishment (4)
Insect Plague (5)
Blade Barrier (6)
Planar Ally (6)
Conjure Celestial (7)
Those can be fluffed fairly easily into being holy ghosts/ancestral spirits/etc

PC casts feather fall, falls 40 ft and lands safely. Outside of a dash, does he have movement left?

Technically falling isn't a type of movement, just something that happens. However, the fact that it's "60 feet per round" causes problems. If it happens over the course of the round, then you wouldn't hit the ground til the very end. If it happens at the very beginning, you have your entire turn and speed to work with. If it happens at the end, you basically lose your turn in the air.

I'd be inclined to make it happen at the beginning of their turn and let them take their full turn, to keep combat moving.

A bit of a broad question but in my next campaign I've decided to play a cleric again.

I normally dislike elves because it feels weird playing a very magical creature that lives for a such a long time but I've decided to for once. I'd like to be Strength or Wisdom based because we already have two Dexterity characters. Can anyone give me an idea for a Wood Elf cleric that isn't too... Elfy?

Thanks, my man. That helps a lot.

Im running a campaign where, in the main quest, the bad guys are a former adventuring party that went into politics. All of them are over 60 years old and, before taking over the country, they were world famous adventurers and some of the best of the vest. (Party is a wizard, a necromancer, a sorcerer, a rogue, a fightin' bard and a barbarian)

What level would be good to set them? The only one that is solid is the necromancer being a juiced up lich, but where the other should fall is giving me trouble. I don't know if it's fair to the players make all of then level 20 with great magic items, even if that might be more realistic to the scenario.

I'd check out VGM. Its appendix has a ton of high-CR NPC stat blocks. Those could be a good place to start.

What domain/God would you be/worship?

I haven't really looked at the Elven gods but I could always look at other pantheons and work it in.

I was thinking either Forge, Light or Tempest (That's the storm one right?). I'm not really set on any and just want an interesting character to mix up my usual Dwarf Clerics and Human Rangers.

How would you rule a character attacking himself?

For context: A mystic using Broken Will on an enemy. Then the enemy use action to attack himself on his turn.

Would it be normal damage?

How would he be attacking himself?
A hammer/mace would probably be difficult to do major damage with, so pretty low.
If they're using a sword, probably normal damage.
If they're using a dagger though? Better believe that's some high ass damage from jamming it right into an organ.

Would I be an edgelord if I played a warlock like a Sith? It seems like a natural way to play the character since it is a dark power taught through a sinister master to a power-hungry apprentice. If wizards are Jedi, then warlocks would be the Sith.

Anyone here see traits/flaws homebrew stuff as of yet?

Totally, if you can work it into the setting have it be a direct Jedi/Sith parallel if you want.

>Would I be an edgelord if I played a warlock like a Sith?
If it's just "lol i kill u" then yes, if you actually play it like a proper Sith, then not at all.

I'd welcome something like this in my games.
Good idea.

My character was kicked out of his thieves guild or otherwise couldn't return to that life.

It's likely he set something on fire that he shouldn't have.

Any suggestions on what that might have been?

I'm pretty sure there's Elven gods of Knowledge, Light, and Tempest. Knowledge and Tempest are Wis/Dex (Medium only), Tempest is awesome for wading into combat since you clear so well, Forge is like Artificer.

If you're looking for Anti-Elf then heavy armor Tempest. Use your longsword proficiency.

>I want this evidence gone
>Got it boss
Mistakes were made.

5eg, can you do me a solid?
I'm working late the next couple days and have a game on saturday. Can you stat up Teddy Roosevelt as a challenging encounter for a party of 6th level PCs? Just giving build advice is fine too.
I'm thinking a ranger and crossbows, since I don't think there are gun rules. I haven't looked into if they're actually non-shit in this edition.

Do your own damn session prep, and while you're at it, have better ideas.

>>I want this evidence gone
>>Got it boss
>Mistakes were made.

That's basically the route I was thinking. But trying to think of more concrete circumstances.

> Using PC stat to build enemy
Found your problem

Maybe the Guard was in the guild's pocket, maybe the evidence was in the home of a wealthy patron, ect. Did you fuck it up, or did someone throw you to the wolves?

What's your usual excuse when people ask what happened?

I'm forever GM and was looking forward to the idea of getting to whip something up until I was told I'm doing installs tonight and tomorrow.

I mean, I'm not above just going "fuck it, he does 3d8+3 damage, 15 AC, 75 HP", but I assume there's more to it than that, and I've historically used lots of little gribblies rather than a single opponent, so I'm not sure how this will go if it goes hot.

Use champion stat in volo. It's CR9. Fluff light crossbow and gun. Problem solve.

That works pretty well, actually. Thank you, you're the best.

discord.gg/vDFsRg2
This is your new discord for the night.
It's a level 20 Monk, just like me.
Now level yourselves up and get in faggots.

Fuck off, faggot.

Monster creation rule is on DMG pg.274-275.

Start from the suggesting line on the table and adjust its defensive and offensive value up and down appropriately.

If you want him to be CR8, he should be doing ~56 damage. So that could be 3d10+2 * 3 times or something. If you want him to hit harder then drop his defense down

You realize that the air bubble comes from your lungs? This is a joke item

For tempest you could be a wood elf born into poverty stricken, elven slum in a coastal city. You never had much growing up, but your sense of community was strong. With no trees or forests in sight, your internal affinity towards nature and the wilds drew you to the sea, as it had for many of your elven brethren. You become a sailor, and more importantly, a cleric in the name of Deep Sashelas in order to rejoice in your love for the sea, and protect your crew and the sea from numerous dangers. Adept at climbing the rigging and having superb perception, you fill the role of lookout/navigator, in addition to your holy and protective duties.

Here is DS's dogma: Swim the great currents and the shallow seas. Exult in the everchanging beauty and life of the bounteous Undersea. Revel in the joy of creation and increase its myriad aspects. Seek not to hold that which is everchanging, but instead love the change itself. Seek out fellow swimmers who honor the ways of the Lord of the Undersea, and ally with them against those who see only the darkness of the deeps. Follow the way of the dolphin. Promote knowledge and use of the sea by reasonable folk, and fight those who would taint or deplete its beauty and bounty.

I think this is solid background for an elf cleric that isn't the stereotypical innawoods bitchboy. Tempest domain gets you heavy armor and martial weapon prof, so you don't need dex for AC and can use any weapon your little elven heart desires. Also lightning and thunder spells are kickass imo.

If you like what you read but aren't quite sold on tempest, I could think up backgrounds for forge or light domains too.

5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/crcalculator.html#

This might help.

You sound like you're genuinely jealous of the better discord. Who are you, Homu? The RedPilled I cucked in front of the whole chat?

you pulled a con game that involved telling a bunch of people in a crowded tavern that there was a plague outbreak so you and your mates could loot the place.

Loot you did, but the guards came swiftly and quarantined the neighborhood, burning down several buildings including the tavern.

That wouldn't have been so bad, but the tavern owner was paying protection to the big bad mafia boss in town. Your boss has fealty to him. Nobody knows you were responsible besides you and your mates, and your mates turned up dead. Your boss told you to get the fuck out of town before he has to slit your throat.

Bless you Meganon.

No, I'm just someone who wants to talk about 5e in the general without you constantly shilling your discord.
If you want to talk about 5e, post in the thread.
If you want to ERP with dudes pretending to be chicks, go do that but stop posting your shit here.

Discord is a cancer we can do without and, by extension, you are a cancer we can do without.
To reiterate, fuck off, faggot.

>5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/crcalculator.html#

I will literally suck your dick.

Why are you so good to us?

I love this but I would like to see what else you've got. Forge mainly.

This is fucking cool, thank you megaanon.

Ok let me stew my brain for a bit, might go to sleep soon though and if so lll type out stuff in the morning

What do Awakened Mystic do in combat? Spam 1d8 damage?

>Would I be an edgelord if I played a warlock like a Sith?
That's basically how I've always thought of warlocks. You're probably good.

The real trick is playing it like a well written Sith.

Honestly? I like goblins. But like, Lord of the Rings goblins. Like, complete and utter assholes that'll rape you to death, eat your flesh, and sew your skin into their clothes and if you are very, very lucky they'll do it in that order goblins.

Anything except the goddamn fuck-stupid impish inventor shit I've had to endure since fucking Pathfinder shit those ones out.

Hahahahahah oh man the denial there.
We got KA now! He's our newest refugee and he fits in with us like a puzzle piece. Bet old 5eg is really feeling the burn now! Sacks of shit!

Guis I need feedback to make this warlock patron suck less

Its all your fault that I made it in the first place anyways

pls acknowledge my existence

This is white hot garbage and I love it.

Seconded.
Or shall I say...
kek

Hey Veeky Forums!
I'm playing a Storm origin Sorcerer and I was wondering what spells and cantrips I should focus on at level 1 and 2--both in terms of thematics and optimization. Oh, and just generally fun spells to have early on.

Oh shit my tits what is this?