One of your players exposes a fatal flaw in the BBEG's plans

>One of your players exposes a fatal flaw in the BBEG's plans
What do you do when this happens? Do you admit defeat and rewrite the entire plot on the spot (with the risk of making part of the gaming session meaningless) or do you stubbornly hold your ground in the face of logic?

humans, and by extension supervillains, are rarely logical

portray them as obsessed mad men beyond reasoning

Need more info. In general, just have BBEG not care/be delusional.

Kill them and eat their skin.

I'd let my players have their fun and see where they go with the information that the BBEG is doing something wrong while the BBEG is oblivious

usually finding a major flaw in the enemy's plans makes the campaign write itself

plus, if they fuck up on the way, it means you can make the villain aware and you able to fix it with some new bullshit

Plans within plans within plans, as the Baron Harkonnen was wont to say.

Have the BBEG discover the hole in his plot and work around it?

We need more information so we can give proper advice.

>BBEG doesn't care.
Maybe he's just crazy. Or maybe he's aware of the problem but is okay with the side-effects/inefficiency.

>BBEG doesn't realize the problem.
He could be an idiot. Maybe the fatal flaw isn't actually part of his plan, and a result of a miscommunication with minions, or a Starscream-esque backstab from one of his generals.

>BBEG doesn't actually have anything wrong with their plans.
The flaw is actually a trap. The heroes are going to go attack the obvious weakpoint in the plan or ignore the BBEG because his plans couldn't possibly come to fruition. The actual plan doesn't have that particular flaw.

There's lots of ways to do this other than 'stubbornly hold ground' and 'discard entire plot,' but it depends on the exact circumstance.

Play is cool. Just because you know they figured out a hole, doesn't mean the villain knows (or believes) they did. BBEG stays smug and confident, stays in control until the very moment he topples over dead.

>we have analyzed the rebels attack pattern and there may be a problem, shall i have your shuttle ready?
>leave in our moment of glory?

This, just deepen the plot.
Player will hit into the exposed plan just to drown in more schemes/ambush/be made example of.
Will be hard but can be worth it.

Have the PC with the highest intelligence of the group roll an intelligence check to see if their characters could understand the flaw.
Then tell him it failed.

I would not believe in tactical acumen of a man who got done in by a preschooler, but maybe that's just me.

>BBEG

Ugh.

If they figured something out don't let it be a waste.

Harkonnen was killed by two unpredictable and unique anomlies rather than by any stupidity on his part.

Also it's a grand strategic matter rather than a tactical one.

>Ugh

Ew.

>maximal autismo can't stop shitposting about this

You realize BBEG has been widely used on Veeky Forums literally for years now, right? Don't believe me? Search one of the archives, if you have the balls to let yourself be proven wrong.

>Ew
Ech

>frogposting
>BBEG

Two shit tastes that taste shit together.

>i've got to try to justify sounding like a fag

Just letting you know you sound super gay.

The only one who sounds like a fag is you, since you're apparently so attention starved that you NEED to voice your disapproval over even the most trivial of things

>still sounding like a fag

Whoa, way to convince me otherwise by sounding even MORE like a fag.
Let me guess, you've got a "Big Bad Evil Guy" fucking your ass right now?

Sorry I made fun of your pet term.

>BBEG
>shit
do you have something against plots or what, whats wrong with villians?

>Ech
Tch.

The fatal flaw wasn't one, it was just to attract them into a trap.

>Punishing the players for being smarter than you.
THAT GM detected

This

>Player: ...Wait a minute, that can't be right. That doesn't make any sense.
>You: Yeah, you're right. It doesn't. How strange...

then you end the session and spend the next fortnight desperately trying to solve it

Always play a little bit more before ending it, otherwise they'll know that it wasn't intentional.

>Being a contrarian

>BBEG

>31 replies
>26 people
Really makes you think.

Proceed with a BBEG who has a flawed plan.

Tell us the plan so we can help you properly.

Time to introduce Lt. MBEG, whose role in the plot is to conveniently and coincidentally making up for the gap.

>ugh BBEG

You realize the term existed before tvtropes, right? Alright, Final Boss.

>One of your players exposes a fatal flaw in the Final Boss's plans
What do you do when this happens? Do you admit defeat and rewrite the entire plot on the spot (with the risk of making part of the gaming session meaningless) or do you stubbornly hold your ground in the face of logic?

This is the laziest and if you do this castrate yourself.

People fuck up in reality, just have him regroup and make a new plan. Shouldn't have people put all their eggs in one basket anyway, it's boring.

You only got one you from me.

Looks like you reaaaaaaally want to defend your pet phrase.

Accept that there is a flaw and allow the game to proceed logically when players exploit it. Can mean having BBEG work around it.

Don't change the plot or stubbornly hold ground, that's bullshit. You /can/ make the flaw be a trap, but that often is bullshit too, unless it's done just right. Players like to be smart and figure out ways to beat BBEG unconventionally. Don't punish them for doing so.

>"ahh... shit."
>"we'll wing it then. Thanks. From now on, no plans."

Fucking newbie, lurk more.

>faggots have been saying something dumb for years
>"Don't call us faggots for saying dumb things!"

You're saying Big Bad Evil Guy and expecting not to be called dumb. That's dumb in itself

You're trying to abolish a common shorthand by shitposting and expecting not to be called dumb.

I have no particular stake in the existence of the acronym, but I would prefer you stopped trying to shit up every thread that happens to trigger your irrational hateboner for a stupid made up term. You're not going to be able to stop people from verbing nouns or playing double's advocate like this, so go cry about the death of 'literally' somewhere else.

>have no particular stake

Actions are louder than words man.

Make a backup plan, or adjust the BBEG's plan as needed.

It was a preschooler with the knowledge and wisdom of generations. Perhaps you don't understand what an advantage that is, particularly when people don't know about it.

Read the rest of the post.

no

The guy is complaining in a roundabout manner about someone calling something stupid, and then saying he doesn't care.
That's a weird way of showing how little he cares.

I think he can enjoy some of his own words returned to him though.

>You're not going to be able to stop people from saying stupid things are stupid

>Veeky Forums takes the bait every time

I'm not saying I don't care, I'm saying I care about something else. I could not give less of a shit about the term BBEG, but I do kind of give a shit about the potential this thread has for advice and would rather it not be derailed by complaining about word choice. I suppose it's a little late for that, but a man can dream.

Let's rephrase OP's goddamn question. Oh no, one of my antagonists has a flaw in their plan that I overlooked and the players noticed. How do I fix this?

>You're not going to be able to stop people from saying stupid things are stupid

>>You're not going to be able to stop stupid people from saying things that they think are stupid are stupid and shitting up a thread because of said stupidity
FTFY

>I'm saying I care about something else.

Okie-dokie. Whatever you say, man.

Reward them for finding a flaw in the antogonists plan. Allow them to call them out on this flaw when the antagonist is confronted face to face. Hey, it worked in Fallout and Arcanum.

Let him exploit the flaw to gain some success, the villain has a backup plan but things are easier for the protagonists - they get more loot/save more people/etcetc.

I kill myself for being a moronic frogposter who comes up with shitty plans for his bee-beggs.

You use the same wording and arguments every thread.

Psh.

Tsk-tsk

>trips
>dubs
Damn, BTFO!

>reaaaaaaally
>complains about how other people write
>calls others faggots

Genius

All this time and we're still waiting for you to provide a better four-keystroke term that retains the same meaning as BBEG.

>>One of your players exposes a fatal flaw in the BBEG's plans
>What do you do when this happens?
The response depends on the fatal flaw:
Is The Flaw based on something the player or PC has reason to believe is true?
If so, then their beliefs can retroactively be made incorrect or based on falsehoods. No issue.
If The Flaw is based on something you have established to be true, and is therefore truth, is it an apparent flaw in the BBEG’s thinking?
If so, then what appears to be the BBEG’s thinking could be made to be deception, plots within plots, or lunacy. No issue.
If The Flaw is truth and not a problem with the BBEG’s thinking, but in actions the BBEG has truthfully taken, is there a way to frame those actions in another light, to make them part of a plot within a plot?
If so, no issue.
If The Flaw is true actions taken by the BBEG that can be nothing other than a fatal flaw in their plans, then they should respond to the exposure of such a flaw in character. Big issue: rewrite the entire plot on the spot (with the risk of making part of the gaming session meaningless).
Although two points:
>Do you stubbornly hold your ground in the face of logic?
There are times when a player presents a flaw with my plot, indicating a logical impossibility.
At these times, I do not feel the need to explain this to the player at that moment.
>But that shouldn’t happen because of “x”
>That is odd, isn’t it?
It’s just a new mystery to explore.

>Do you admit defeat?
A player engaged with the game, world, and plot enough to find plot holes and use them to destroy my work is a glorious success.

>okie-dokie

Faggot

Heh.

>Players don't know the full plan.
>The BBEG made a mistake.
>The fatal flaw is not actually a fatal flaw.

>Flaw in BBEG's plans
Good, isn't the whole point of the game to foil his plans ? If they found a flaw they now have a chance and a way to do it in an out of the rails way, which in my experience is more fun to both play and run.

>BEEG

What sort of flaw?

>The Death Star has an exhaust port to shoot torpedoes at

Great, it's not exactly bullseye-ing womp rats in a T16, but go do it

Isn't the whole point of most RPGs with villains like this trying to find their weakness and use it to win?

Farts are even louder

*FFFFFFBRRRRP*

maybe use more than four keystrokes to express a concept you lobotomized millennial

twitter really is destroying society

If the logic is sound and the players prove it to the villain in a manner he'd be forced to agree with, he will stop and depending on his character either surrender, try to atone, or try to come up with a better plan.

>being triggered by acronyms
user pls

>maybe use more than four keystrokes to express a concept
How many keystrokes is enough to be cool like you Mr. Maturity?

>you lobotomized millennial
Nice try.
When I was in high school and they came up with the term "african-american", I decided not to use a 7 syllable inaccurate term instead of a one syllable inaccurate term.

>twitter really is destroying society
I wouldn't know. Never used it. I heard Conan used it well.

>still replying

Why not MV for main villain? Simple enough. Either that or FB for final boss, but that might get confused at first with facebook.

MV makes me think of Motor Vehicle.

If I say the PCs are fighting the MV, I think context is enough to pass you through.

Also, for those who still want whimsy, it could be the Dastardly Main Villain.

Make a group of BBEG's.

How about DD for Dick Dastardly?

If its plot breaking, make it a secret trap or another scheme, but considering that it might be fun for the players to have figured out and used this flaw to win. Theyll feel like cunning heroes, not just on the railroad

Fair enough.
So now there are only two issues with MV:
1. Getting it popular enough so that MV is a recognized term.
2. Using it doesn't trigger that one pathetic bitch user.

Veeky Forums quality advice, I'm glad I still come to this board

I see Lord autismo has returned once more to grace us with his presence

>BBEG
lol what is this, 1976

The pharmacy called, they said you forgot to pick up your prescription when you went in there

That was the only thing you went to the pharmacy for.

Main Villain is used often enough, since its essentially the most direct term for the concept short of Primary Antagonist. The only thing needed is for people to abbreviate it more often.

BBEG