Are all superhero settings utter shit?

why are they so cringe? is it because of /tv/? what are the mistakes of marvel and dc? what to avoid in superhero settings? can you even imagine how different shit would be if some individuals were born with superpowers ever since prehistory?

I think most superhero settings are pretty cool. What I find fascinating are the settings which were created to intentionally mimic comic book universes without ever actually being one.

Sentinels of the Multiverse has become one of my favourite in that respect, since despite being a board game franchise they have a surprising amount of lore, character and continuity backing it all up, along with faux-comic pages for various events. It's really nice when someone puts in the effort into a background and setting even if it might not be entirely necessary.

Why can't you use capital letters or the return key?

A superhero setting kind of has to be based around superhero comics (or spinoff media like movies) to be a superhero setting. There's merit in exploring things going differently, but is a tabletop setting really the avenue for that? Even if I wanted to play a game based in a setting that looks at how superheroes would go in a different way, I'd rather just play in the Watchmen setting or something than something unrecognizable.

Actually, an RPG set in Watchmen sounds amazing, so thanks for that.

>why are they so cringe?

Because you're probably on the spectrum.

>is it because of /tv/?

No.

>what are the mistakes of marvel and dc?

Too many to count.

>what to avoid in superhero settings?

Asspulls and Retcons.

>can you even imagine how different shit would be if some individuals were born with superpowers ever since prehistory?

You mean like Heroes and Demigods?

This, the only real mistake of superheroes is a refusal to finish stories before they start a new continuity, this is why else world's and one shots often get the most attention, they have endings.

And when a story doesn't end it stops being a story, and the characters stop being characters, they become franchises and plot devices

Like Dragonball.

Basically? Yeah.

You know who knows how to do this? Transfomers. When a story reaches its end, they move on telling either a new story in that universe, detached from the previous conflict, or they move to a whole new universe to explore different ideas and events without bogging down the previous story

>You mean like Heroes and Demigods?
I agree with the whole post, but this is something I wanted to point out specifically. The more I read, the more I'm convinced that superheroes are the myths of the modern age. The basic premise of both boils down to essentially: People with incredible skills and abilities go on grand adventures. Though at the same time, I guess with everyone knowing about Joseph Campbell and Star Wars, it shouldn't be that surprising.

The problem with endings is that, in comics at least, we're supposed to believe we're watching these people's lives as they live and change. And while lives end, life doesn't. Imagine if Bruce Wayne actually dies. Does that mean there are no more Batman stories to tell? No, because of the people he left behind. Now Dick Grayson becomes Batman, then maybe Damian Wayne does. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people talk about how much they'd like to see the kids in the DCU grow up and start having their own adventures. Superhero comics will never really end because there's always more to tell.

So cape comics are inherently slice-of-life?

That's part of it, back to the transformers example, in Japan g1 continued with headmasters, masterforce, and victory, each a passing of the torch but never fully disconnected, often with characters fr past works rising up

In America we continued with g2 and later beast wars and beast machines, similarly passing the torch, even in their latest cartoon it's mostly focused on bumblebee rising up as a leader in his own right as the primary story of optimus had been told already

I wouldn't say that exactly, I think it's probably just publishers realized they can create drama through superheros' civilian lives as well as their hero lives.

Yeah, I think you have a point. Like, it would be entirely possible a superhero to retire then someone else takes their place or something, so I think that could work. Though on the other hand, it takes quite a while in comic book time for all that to happen. First they have to become the hero, then find a protege, train them, then retire, the repeat with the successor. I guess... I guess if it were easier to become a superhero it would be easier to tell those sorts of stories? I don't even know where I'm going with this now.

The issue is that years have passed and it actually feels set to pass from Bruce to Dick, Hal to kyle, Goku to Gohan, but instead of sticking to it, they play it safe and revert any progress that happens and ultimately as time passes with this, deaths reverting, mentors resuming their star role, we see a world settling into narrative stasis as nothing gets done and we stop expecting any change or conflict to matter in the end

At least characters not named prime or tron get to stay dead in transfomers consistently

Yeah, true. I can't tell you how pissed I was when they made Dick step down from being Batman. God, I hate all this New 52/Rebirth shit, it's just been killing all the progress that's been made. Fuck Hal, he's evil, kill him. Barry, you should've stayed dead, because it's your fault everything's fucked now. God I fucking hate silver age fanboyism.

I respect rebirth for one single thing, trying to move away from being fucking depressing, but honestly my favorite recent DC comic is probibly the Ame-Comi run, it was short, it was fun, it wasn't berfeet of tragedy, but it was also fairly creative with the characters it used

I've actually been running a "super hero" setting for about a year and a half now in wild talents with a custom setting.

It's kinda like comics i guess, but in practice it's more like gang warfare mixed with pro wrestling.

My advice, don't have the world continue on as normal after powers show up, they're too much of a game changer for that to really be believable unless it's literally the day after.

Also, make sure powers are well defined and consistent. It rewards planning since players can figure out counters, and makes things feel less ass pull-ish.

Also, weird and varied powers are a great idea. If you have two people who do exactly the same thing, scrap one of them.

One final thing, make sure the power matches the person. Like you don't need to do what worm does where the power is directly a by product of the person's personality, but don't do what comics do where the power could belong to anyone else and still make sense

Wait, recenty? Didn't Ame-Comi come out a few years ago? Jesus, it's been so long since I've actually read any DC or Marvel comic. Really the only comic I bother with now is the Transformers comics from IDW. Because like the user said, they actually fucking go somewhere (even though he was talking about the cartoons, the same applies to the comics). And MTMTE has some of the best writing I've ever seen.

And speaking of Transformers cartoons, I'm sorry, but I didn't like Prime at all. I honestly think Rescue Bots is better.

>Also, make sure powers are well defined and consistent.
Fucking christ, thank you. Ill-defined powers are probably my biggest pet peeve right under "Status Quo is God".

>don't do what comics do where the power could belong to anyone else and still make sense
I don't really understand what you mean by this though.

You posted this same exact thread like 5 days ago. Word for word. Give it a rest.

sorry yeah i always have a hard time explaining that bit.

Think about the flash for example. Why is his power super speed? Looking at his character, super speed doesn't really tie into anything going on in his life. It's just something he got in a freak accident.

What i guess im trying to say is, why did that specific character get that specific power? Make them fit, it makes for better characters most of the time

So... every character has to be given a power for a specific reason? So, no mutants or metahumans, no aliens, no Spider-Man, etc.? That seems... I really don't like that. I mean, part of what makes characters heroes is that most of them didn't choose their powers, the just got them. But they decided to use them for good regardless. Maybe I'm just not understanding your point though.

Oh man, early-mid 1990s Image Comics are just the best.

Learn to ignore threads you don't like.

i meant more like giving general powers a flavor that fits the person, but yeah like i said i suck at explaining that bit

not exactly tailoring the power exactly to them, but no matter what the power is it's going to reflect it's user in some way. Like, how do they use it? Do they try to be non lethal? have they thought of any unique applications for that power that others wouldn't have thought of?

(English isn't my first language, let me know if that makes sense)

go read Worm
setting doesn't have a lot of the issues that others have

What are the "issues" that other "superhero settings" have? Honestly, I wish people would stop saying "superhero settings" because that doesn't really mean much, it could mean almost anything. Sure, most of them fall under "like reality unless noted" but then you get oddballs like Prophet or Rai.

dude worm is one of the best settings i've seen in a while. i actually used it as a source of inspiration for a game im running

I think I can kinda see what you mean. I'm still not in total agreement though, since "Bad Powers, Good People" and the inversion can always be interesting. Like, say you have a pacifist. An actual pacifist, would never throw a punch in his life. Now, something like creating psychic barriers would make sense, he can shield himself and others from harm. But let's say he gets a power like killing anyone he touches. Seeing how that person copes with that, and how their powers change them, can also be interesting to see.

Honestly, I'm kinda tired of "Oh, the guy with fire powers is a hothead, and the guy with ice powers is cold and analytic." Sure, it fits the characters, but it's been done so much I just want to see something, anything else.

That's fair, RiD probably won't be your cup either, that said I only avoided the excellent comics to speak in layman's terms

That was something I've always wanted to see with superman, seriously play up his solar resivour and make it core to fucking everything, use too much heat vision, he can't fly as far, etc.

I really have the image of... Image as being everything wrong with the 90's, but I have to admit that I loved Supreme, and actually really enjoyed some of their relaunched titles like Prophet and Bloodstrike. Do you have any recommendations for good Image comics?

Yes, I realize why you didn't bring them up, because they don't follow the "new story, same world" thing you were trying to demonstrate.

Too depressing

>
the "hot head with fire powers" thing is also a pet peeve of mine. Worm's trigger event system is a good example of what im trying to describe

like, a girl is stressed that her parents are getting divorced, so she triggers and gets a power to force them back together, except its the ability to compress space (brings them physically back together, but not emotionally)

or a dude who's dad is dying of bone cancer, and what he wants most is to be by his side and have more time with him, so he gets the ability to stop things in time for a few minutes if he touches them.

so you don't really get the power you want, but it still kinda fits in an asshole genie sort of way

I would love to play in a humorous campaign where we act as attention whoring vigilantes with a large costume budget with equally ridiculous enemies.
Think more towards Tiger and Bunny and less Marvel and DV.
Could be a lot of fun as long nobody try to use the campaign to insert any awkward Aesop fable bullshit.

Heh, sort of like how dragonball is both everything right and wrong about fighting anime

It's based on very base computer like interpretation of the mental desire

yes exactly

Go for it man. Make a character with the powers and go full weird with it, like stating outright he's a plant person or something. But I do want to point out that "too much heat vision" was actually a problem with The Eradicator when he was around. He had to wear special glasses because he was ultra-sensitive to sunlight, and he could fire blasts from his hands rather than just his eyes.

Huh, that does sound interesting. Been meaning to read Worm for a while, I just never get around to it.

It's more something you take ideas from than enjoy reading.

also sadly correct

>I really have the image of... Image as being everything wrong with the 90's, but I have to admit that I loved Supreme, and actually really enjoyed some of their relaunched titles like Prophet and Bloodstrike. Do you have any recommendations for good Image comics?

I know that it's probably mainly nostalgia, but I was 12 in 1992, and for a kid in the middle of flyover country whose only exposure to comics was the Marvel, DC, and Archie titles that my local grocery store carried on their single spindle rack, the new presence of Image Comics with their glossy paper, vaguely Japanimation artwork, sexy girls in skimpy costumes, and actual red (not CCA-approved black) blood was a tremendous shock.

My favorite Image title of all time is The Maxx, which doesn't exactly fit neatly into the rest of the shared setting, but whatever.

Based on the titles you named, I would suggest checking out Gen13. Start at the beginning with the miniseries. You might also like the original run of Stormwatch.

If you want to venture further down the rabbit hole, check out PRIME and some of the other Valiant/Malibu capeshit titles that were launched around the same time as Image was formed. PRIME was pretty neat because it took the traditional Shazam story of "nerdy boy who can transform into a superman" but set it in a semi-realistic 1990s where the kid gets bullied by bigger kids, gets mocked by girls, and generally has a miserable life that's slightly easier to relate to than Peter Parker's high school career.

Read Hero 9 to 5. It's a parody of superhero comics where all the male supers are ripped and the female supers have giant breasts, and there's a douche in the Avengers/JLA analogue who brags about being brought back to life so many times that Jesus has nothing on him.

Really? So, good ideas, poor execution? What's the problem exactly, dry narration, slow pace?

Not that user, but the entire Reign of the Supermen arc was designed specifically to justify the creation of a bunch of #1 FIRST ISSUE COLLECTOR'S ITEM COLLECTABLE TRADING CARD INCLUDED polybagged foil cover bullshit.

Interesting, my primary inspiration was the Ripple/Hamon power of the sun punching powers and how that could tie with his ability to absorb yellow sun power, I also had an origin to explain why they looked so human, inspired by a previous variant of superman, the man of tomorrow, that title from what I have read is because in earlier drafts he was literally a man of tomorrow, kinda like what booster gold pretends to be, but I like the last son of krypton too, so I decided that Clark would actually be the second superman

I don't want to go too deep into it, but a time loop is involved that ties the supermen, krypton, brainiac, and doomsday all together

it was the author's first go at writing a book, and the inexperience shows. plus its a web serial so it's 100% first draft quality

I'd still say its a decent read though, and i actually like some of his later stuff a lot

that being said, i do think worm is a must read if you're going to make a super hero setting, it's that solid

Why should he brag about being incompetent enough to need to be resurrected that often?

Oh wow, you really lived in a different era.

I think I actually downloaded The Maxx a while ago, just never got around to reading it.

Heard of Gen13 and Stormwatch. Wait, aren't those DC series? Oh wait, those are titles they bought later, right? OK, just please tell me Stormwatch isn't like The Authority, which I know is a continuation of Stormwatch, because I started reading The Authority recently, and it had some of the worst narration I've ever seen in a comic. Anyway, loved DV8: Gods and Monsters, so I hope Gen13 is good.

Prime might be interesting. Have to admit, I've only heard of it from people mocking how bad the costume is.

>why are they so cringe? is
I blame the Comic Book Code. and the fact that Companies don't want to kill off valuable IP.

So you get 2 dimensional character that aren't' allowed to fail, die or grow in any meaningful way.

A lot of the more indi stuff is pretty good, but some of it is a bit grim derp as a reaction to main stream cape stuff, like Worm or The Boys.

Uh... yeah, I know that. Why did you bring that up?

Yeah, I think in that case it would be better to make a setting of analogues so you don't have to be bogged down by previous continuity.

>100% first draft quality
Wait, what? I'm not exactly a writer myself, but I would never put my first draft out as a finished product. I mean, you have a schedule to keep, but still...

It's not like supers die just because they're dumb. Sometimes they go out saving the entire world. He was just drawing an analogy between himself and Jesus through resurrection, and said that he has more right to be worshiped because, if Jesus gets worshiped for combing back once, and the super came back twice, why worship Jesus over the super?

>I blame the Comic Book Code
Personally, I don't think superheroes would exist without the Code. I don't like it at all, but still. I mean, because of the Code and Seduction of the Innocent, pretty much all comic book genres except superheroes died off. It is really shitty how companies, like DC, used the Code to put their competition out of business though.

Retcons

>Tech Inconsistencies (and this one PISSES ME OFF THE HARDEST)
"if there are super-genius people out there, building shit with REAL SCIENCE and writing shit down as they do. then why are there STILL not affordable flying cars" because once you have the science to tony-stark, you can engineer SO MANY THINGS. if you can make an adaptable AI and can create more than one then you can change labor dynamics. mass-less propulsion systems(Iron-mans thrusters) means there is no real barrier to distant space travel and no reason not to be colonizing Mars.

>power-bloat
this happened to superman who started as just "a man who can fly, is really tough, and really strong" became a almost totally god-like entity that only loses when he fights with a handicap.

>Immortality side effects (what I call the Elf Conundrum)
if there are immortals that have been around since the dawn of time there would be an effect on events. even a self-policing group would have a few troublemakers, and they would have caused trouble sooner than just the current era(as is nearly always the case with comic book settings)

>Primordial powers
if people with superpowers have been around so long there would be a few more craters and a few less mountains. because conflict is a very human thing. they'd be the super-weapons of most eras. even people on the order of Jessica Jones, The Punisher, Spider Man or Dare Devil. the "street-level" powers. it means that more dictators, tyrants, governmental leaders etc. etc. would have been assassinated through history severely changing it everyplace.

yeah, well, so is a lot of the world. if you want to setting build you have to keep that in mind.

and as far as settings go, Worm is solidly built enough to bounce planets off of.

>i actually used it as a source of inspiration for a game im running
do tell?

Also note that his entire character was being an arrogant asshole, so it's not like his statement was supposed to make much sense anyway.

Personally, I've always just had the idea that the super world is more or less like or world because the superheroes and supervillains just sorta cancel each other out. Sure, a supergenius might be able to devote all his time making a cure to AIDS, but then how would he save the world from the supervillain's newest doomsday weapon? But really, at the end of the day, it's just a consequence of the medium. It's the same reason supervillains can't stay locked up forever, because then you'll have comics about Superman mowing the lawn and typing up news reports. Not exactly the THRILLING TALES OF ADVENTURE comics try to be.

Yeah, the code was definitely a reflection of the times, but it's hard to deny that it stifled creativity.

it was written "live" the guy spent about a week on each chapter and then uploaded it, but yhing is he'd worked on the setting for about 10 years before hand so it's both incredibly fleshed out and not at the same time

>"if there are super-genius people out there, building shit with REAL SCIENCE and writing shit down as they do. then why are there STILL not affordable flying cars" because once you have the science to tony-stark, you can engineer SO MANY THINGS. if you can make an adaptable AI and can create more than one then you can change labor dynamics. mass-less propulsion systems(Iron-mans thrusters) means there is no real barrier to distant space travel and no reason not to be colonizing Mars.
Yeah. This is very true.
Even if Stark tech is patented. He's got to be a total rube, not to be producing the tech for consumer use and making a huge profit before the patents lapse, or someone straight up steals the tech.

And as for retcons, as long as the retcon is better than the thing it's replacing, I really don't mind. Like, I don't think anyone's mourning the loss of the Falcon being a pimp.

DV8 is a spinoff of Gen13 featuring the edgy evil version of the Gen13 kids.

Stormwatch is a bit like The Authority in the sense that they're a UN-sponsored superhero team with a satellite headquarters.

>Wait, aren't those DC series? Oh wait, those are titles they bought later, right?
It was seriously disconcerting to see Grifter appear in a DC cartoon. I loved the WildC.A.Ts cartoon.

Oh! Check out WILDC.A.T.s too. You'll probably recognize some of the characters (like Grifter) from before they were bought by DC.

Pitt was decent, but the creator had some major issues with getting his shit turned in on time.

If you REALLY want to go nuts, I can upload my copies of Alan Moore's "1963" later today. This was a parody of the Silver Age comics, specifically the poor treatment of writers and artists by the editors. The scans I have are missing the (fake) ads and letter columns, which is a shame because that's where the most dense comedy is buried. It was originally designed as a six-issue miniseries that was supposed to culminate in a crossover with the modern 1993 Image characters, but there were some disagreements between the different creators, some people couldn't get their parts turned in on time, and eventually the project collapsed before the crossover could be produced.

I know I said The Maxx was my favorite, but 1963 is a close second.

>severely changing it everyplace.
Yeah. That's why I tend to keep the rise of Supes relatively recent.

Maybe a handful in WW2 with a reason why they disappeared, and a handful more for Cold War era stuff.

Recently ran some one shots in an ongoing campaign in WW2. Basically the characters play as super heroes and have to stop Axis Heroes and super tech to keep WW2 on track.

mostly the whole "people influence the powers" and a certain... well that one character that spoils everything to even talk about. basically think if it was just eden when things went wrong, as a result the system is kinda different, case 53's are just a "natural" thing that happens and arent really understood by most of the setting

biggest change is i also took a lot of inspiration from roadside picnic, so artifacts (really minor powers usually) are also a thing, and at least some of humanity was able to at least see something coming a few years in advance

I'd need to do a write up to explain it really, a summary just makes it sound like a cluster fuck sorry

You know the Code hasn't existed for several years, right

>Uh... yeah, I know that. Why did you bring that up?
Because you asked somebody what the problem with Reign of the Supermen was.

>I just never get around to it.
go for it.

it gets better by chapter 3 or 4

this is also true

>so it's 100% first draft quality
eh, he's been systematically editing things.
I'd say it's almost down to 88% First Draft Quality

>I mean, you have a schedule to keep, but still...
the schedule he kept was 1 chapter delivered 3 times a week WITHOUT FAIL for several years...
he had no time for a lot of editing he was to busy coming up with stuff.
now he has to edit a 1.65 million word monstrosity all on his own.

perhaps you have a point.
however you'd still have a LOT more political killings because heroes kill/imprison 'badguy' leaders and villains kill/imprison 'good guy' leaders.

but it isn't always...

this is the biggest hedgehog in my prostate because I HAVE an engineering degree.
the scene in the first Iron Man movie where he'd designing the Mark-2 gave me the BIGGEST BONER.
not because of the suit but because of the graphical design program he had access to.
really.
just that software and the hardware to run it would net him Billions of dollars.
that was a nearly INSIGNIFICANT detail in the whole movie...

ah, the Captain America type.
these work, but as you go back further and further in time you have to weaken powers more and more. this bugs me.

>well that one character that spoils everything to even talk about
I need more context clues...
the Barefoot Contessa?

the garden of eden and zion the promised land, but also yes

cringe isn't a fucking adjective you god damn abortion of a human

I'm well aware of that.

But now there's a lot of content for children using the same IP. If they've got tiny titains and Saturday Morning cartoons, they can't really have extra dark content with the same characters for adults using the same IP.

They could create new capes for more adult stories, but the major players seem loath to try and launch (and support) new things.

I see.

this metaphor/code banter is kind of fun...

also, capes as they exist in worm are present, but are rare. really rare, and they stopped showing up over time

it is isnt it?

I know DV8 is a Gen13 spinoff, that's why I mentioned it. But really, Gods and Monsters, I love that comic. Hmm, I think it was like the last thing Wildstorm did too.

I've read WildCats Version 3.0, and it's honestly one of my favorite comics of all time. I've been meaning to read the other volumes as well. I started volume 2, but I had no idea what was going on half the time.

Thanks for the offer, but 1963 is on ReadComic, so I'm fine. Yeah, I do despise silver age fanboyism, so I really love how Alan Moore, in Supreme at least, is able to show off the strengths and weaknesses of the era. He's really not afraid to make fun of some of the crazy stuff they did. It just comes off as far more genuine than the fanboy stuff does. Oh good lord, the absolute worst I've seen of trying to emulate an era, though it was the golden age, would be that Gail Simone comic about retired superheroes, I forget the name. Absolutely disgusting, she barely makes an effort. I think any real comic book fan with even a passing knowledge of the golden age would realize how superficial her rendering of it is.

I was asking about Worm.

>the schedule he kept was 1 chapter delivered 3 times a week WITHOUT FAIL for several years...
Scheiße... And here I am, barely able to keep up a journal.

>but it isn't always...
Yes, unfortunately. Like retconning Falcon to being a pimp in the first place, for example. But just like tropes, retconning is a tool, it can be used for good or bad.

>these work, but as you go back further and further in time you have to weaken powers more and more. this bugs me.
Pfft, why? We were talking about myths and legends earlier, just use that.

Well duh. You just figured that out?

>But now there's a lot of content for children using the same IP. If they've got tiny titains and Saturday Morning cartoons, they can't really have extra dark content with the same characters for adults using the same IP.
Oh, I see what you meant.

I don't think I ever actually read any DV8, just an issue of Gen13 where they appeared.

>the biggest hedgehog in my prostate
Worm had a pretty alright explaination for it.

I sort of preferred the idea that whatever causes super intelligence (mutation, cosmic rays whatever) also causes an intense urge to hoard technology.

Now I really want to play a Superhero game

What's your favorite power level for games?

Street Level?
Normal Supes?
GALACTIC Superheroes?

survivor that lucked into a shit power, then work your way up over a few years

I love the "work your way up" attitude so they can look back and think of how they never expected their life to end up there

So... Hunter the Reckoning?

>work your way
>"work your way up

I get what you mean. But it always felt a bit weird for me. I mean you should definitely gain more skills over time. But there's only so many reasons I can think of for the characters powers to grow more potent.

Street-level with superpowered teenagers on the run from The Man.

I got a question, what do you think are the most under rated powers?

The big problem in my opinion is power creep, once power creep sets in you end up going over the deep end in an attempt to stay interesting. Oh also time travel is shit and needs to be avoided like the plague.

If our world had super powers a god race would develop and take over. The comic The Boys takes on the subject pretty well, though way to graphic for some peoples taste. The Boys is an alternate time line were the nazis created a super serum right at the end of the war, and still lose. So the US takes the serum, lets an arms manufacture see what they can do with it, and you end up with super heroes by Vietnam. It gets fucked up and shows how headanistic super powered indivduals could get. The Boys is named after the group the CIA puts together to put the fear of god in to the heroes to keep them in line.

Kind of want to do a super hero game with a twist.

Like Post Apocoplytic+ Supes
or Supes+ Zombie Outbreak
or Supes set in a different time period like Medieval Europe, during the Reformation, or Cold War capes.

well i mean you'd obviously hit a cap. i meant mostly get as high as you can

Superspeed. God, I just want to see a comic where a speedster slaughters a bunch of other supers with his bare hands before they can even react. Grimderp I know, but still.

I wouldn't call them underrated, but any sort of Mental Powers are really terrifying. Like the world would be incredibly fucked of Xavier ended up being a bag guy.

Jessica Jones did a really good take on Mind Control.

I'm actually doing a sort of post apocalyptic supes game right now, my take was super gang warfare with certain high level supes trying to impose their own various interpretations of common law. It's also contained to a sort of isolated super city, so whoever "wins" the city is posed to steam roll the rest of the setting, but each district has it's own gang to over come,

>causes an intense urge to hoard technology.
I thought the explanation was "they don't write down how they do it, some of the components are exclusively made using a manipulator power, and since nobody is versed in the science, the only way to repair it is to give it back to the tinker that made it, or another tinker that has a compatible power."

street level.

>Pfft, why?
because there is basically nothing in ancient greece that had a snowballs chance in hell at stopping or even slowing down the likes of the Hulk or the Juggernaut. Deadpool or Wolverine just walk off every injury.

Tony Stark in the Renaissance or early Gothic era turns shit

the right sort of healing powers can be fucking horrifying, see shining diamond from jojo for an example, but really healing is a game changer

Super speed isn't that overpowered. It just gets ridiculous when it's not given any sort of cap. When they're basically the ability to stop time, they're too powerful.

>Supes+ Zombie Outbreak

Two suggestions:

Marvel Zombies

Afterlife with Archie It's not a capeshit series but damn is it good.

he was giving his own take, but yeah in worm, tinkering is an actual power, it's why a lot of tinkers aren't actually experts in their fields, their powers do most of the building for them, and tinker powers have subtle effects that mean normal people usually cant reproduce the effects even if the process is followed exactly, since a lot of fine tuning was done by the power

>Jessica Jones did a really good take on Mind Control.
especially the actor they picked, and how he played the role of the man in the purple suit...goddamned terrifying, and as a result, FUCKING PERFECT.

watch the new The Flash TV Show.
it's on netflix. even if the science and technobabble physically hurts you watch it anyway.

go read worm.
the character you want to look at is Amy Dallon A.K.A. Panacea.

another potentially GODDAMN HORRIFYING power

>he was giving his own take,
didn't catch that part.

still agree though

i have read worm, i just think of her power as more biokenisis than healing

It's crazy diamond you philistine! Also he's got nothing on gold experience

My personal for under rated powers is limited shape shifting, even if it's just one alternative form, it can make leading a double life all that much easier

That's worm's explanation. I was offering an alternative one.

>hell at stopping or even slowing down the likes of the Hulk or the Juggernaut.
Yeah, but that's what other supes are for.
>Deadpool or Wolverine just walk off every injury.
Not really. Guns give them problems, there's no reason to assume spears, arrows and swords wouldn't. Without guns or adamantium they're less powerful too.

I've read it. I really liked it.
I wish they did more.

Playing around with time periods is always fun. Zombies... ugh, no thanks.

>Jessica Jones did a really good take on Mind Control.
To be fair, I haven't seen the show, but I think there are a lot better uses for mind control than rape.

What? You're talking about a setting where literal gods and monsters exist. I mean, you realize you're talking about a time period where people with superhuman abilities were killed, and you're saying that others with superhuman abilities can't be killed here? Why would you say that?

>Tony Stark in the Renaissance or early Gothic era turns shit
Why? Just because you can't think of a way to do it well, doesn't mean it can't be done well.

>street level.
You know, I really don't want to say that this explains everything, but... I think this explains everything. Could you please do me a favor and read Marvel 1602? It's only eight issues long.

>1602
It was great. I loved it.

I think Tony Stark would be great in either of those periods. A rich noble with davinci esque gadgets.

I could even see the iconic Ironman suit (unpowered) with a glider attached and rockets slapped on for limited flight.

>To be fair, I haven't seen the show, but I think there are a lot better uses for mind control than rape.
I think it's more about how the show approached having a powerful mind-controller character, as anyone who's watched the x-men animated series knows most shows pull out some serious bullshit to stop them insta-winning