Fantasy Tabletop System

Everyone says to not play D&D, but what system should I use if I want to run or play some fun fantasy action?

Fantasy Craft, Legend, Dungeonslayers, Dungeon Crawl Classics, Ryuutama, Make You Kingdom and a bunch of OSR stuff /osrg/ knows more about than me.

Also, World of Dungeons, Fellowship, The One Ring, Shadow of the Demon Lord, and a bunch of generic systems like Strike!, Savage Worlds, M&M, Fate, are all pretty good.

Also Dungeon world, reign and anima

>Dungeon world
No.

GURPS

Why do you hate fun?

Play 4e.

Why do you hate good games?

I don't, that's you!

My default answer is Savage Worlds but disregarding that because I suck cocks it depends.

Where do you want the system to be like in regards to fluff and crunch? If you want low crunch but you have to build the fluff yourself go Savage Worlds. The Dragon Age RPG system is a fairly good d6 system that balances nicely between its fluff and crunch (and there is a Song of Fire and Ice RPG that uses the same system).

Warhammer Fantasy Role Play 2e is a good choice as well though it is on the crunchier side.

I played Advanced Fighting Fantasy 2nd edition a week ago, and it was pretty good.

Pathfinder.

:^)

Anything else?

Fantasy action is basically the only thing D&D is decent for, the primary complaint is trying to shove other styles of games into the framework in ways that don't make any fucking sense.

However, if you're interested in variety Legends of the Wulin is a fantasy action system of sorts, based on Wuxia stories and film. It's an utterly fantastic system with a few really unfortunate flaws, including a badly edited core book which actually makes learning how the whole thing works a fucking chore.

It's surprisingly open to refluffing, too. I've seen it used for a more anime style fantasy game previously, which worked pretty damn well.

>including a badly edited core book which actually makes learning how the whole thing works a fucking chore.
Care to elaborate on that?

>Where do you want the system to be like in regards to fluff and crunch?
Honestly, I like fluff, but I'm also quite fond of refluffing things and putting my own spin on events with a custom world and such. Savage Worlds seems like it'd work, especially because I'm a textfag so I probably shouldn't pile on a lot of crunch.

It's just... Awful. The company who published the game must have rushed it out or skimped on editing, because as a core book it barely functions.

Badly explained or mutually contradictory rules explanations, mechanics buried in the middle of fluff pieces or only explicitly stated in completely unintuitive places, some mechanics never explicitly mentioned at all and only really discernible from implications of other things. It's such a fucking shame because beyond all that shit it's so damn Good, but getting there is a huge amount of effort.

It doesn't help that LotW is a very unusual system, defying a lot of very basic assumptions you'd make coming from other RPG's. The best and simplest example of this is that in LotW? You roll dice first, declare actions second, despite almost all other games doing the reverse.

>The best and simplest example of this is that in LotW? You roll dice first, declare actions second, despite almost all other games doing the reverse.
Funny, that's how I tend to prefer doing things. Makes it easier to prepare myself for flubbed rolls. Guess that's something to check out.

Is there any sort of simplified book that actually lays out the rules?

A few anons have attempted it, but mostly in the early days of the system so all the summaries I've found are straight up wrong on some points, it really sucks.

If you want to play something rules-lite-ish, I'd suggest either Savage Worlds or MiniSix.

If you want to play something with a degree of crunch, I feel that RuneQuest/Mythras is the best way to go; probably my favorite fantasy system out there. Warhammer Fantasy 2e is also fairly decent, but it requires a bit of houseruling before me and my group really feel comfortable playing it.

Then again, there's pic related if you want something really minimalist.

Y'know I always hear good things about Mini Six but never any actual play reports, not that it stops me from wanting to use it for everything the lack of a stable group does.

It's actually quite good for pulpy games where everyone is a hero who can do a lot. Fights can end pretty fucking abruptly, though; for good or ill.

>Funny, that's how I tend to prefer doing things
Yeah, not like it's considered cheating in most RPGs or anything

Please, it's about the narrative!

>Everyone says to not play D&D,

Stop pretending trolls matter.

Although you can usually start a thread about it and receive answers to your questions fairly easily.

>gets more than a dozen just in the first post
>"Well okay, but have you got MORE?"

>Everyone says to not play D&D, but what system should I use if I want to run or play some fun fantasy action?
D&D.

DnD is fine actually, give 5e a chance

Chivalry and Sorcery

It begins