What are good systems for jaunty pirate adventures?

What are good systems for jaunty pirate adventures?

Gurps, Savage Worlds and Fate

7th Sea

We're doing savage worlds and having a lot of fun with it.

DnD 3.5 with some house rules.

That's what my group is using.

Damn, we just had a (now dead) thread last night at Used some of my good pirate pics.

Whats wrong with 7thSea? I actually liked the old one, and the new quickstart rules are not bad looking

No.

God fucking damnit when will people stop using 3.PF for stupid shit.

(The answer is never because Starfinder is a thing. Fuck.)

You can't reverse autism.

nautical bump

Wasn't implying there is anything wrong with it. I live it. It just gets blasted a lot on Veeky Forums due to the involvement of John Wick.

>Whats wrong with 7thSea
It's shit?

Truth. I don't even have anything against John Wick, 7th Sea is just a bad game.

/thread

Eh. Different strokes. Its not for murderhoboing, and i've had way more fun with it than dnd. It only needed a little clean up to be a fun theatrical system.

WHFRP 2nd is still the best. Fight me.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA no.

No, the game is simply bad. It's not different. It simply fucking sucks, both on crunch and fluff level

Posting before someone gives Gropey crap for having a trip.

I only give him crap about it in LARP threads, so go fuck yourself

Do you actually have any evidence or arguments, or are you just going to rest on blind assertion?

>a little clean up
The system is practically unusable as-is from what I remember from a 6-month campaign; even the core mechanics need tweaking for it to function as intended, and some of the stuff is just straight up unusable.
Granted, I haven't looked at the new edition at all.

>WHFRP 2nd is still the best. Fight me.
I won't fight you, because that's a fucking good choice you fucking person of varied tastes.

Anyway, in regards to the OP's question: for me it'd probably be a toss-up between WHFRP or GURPS. I like me a little crunch with some theatrics involved for age-of-sail stuff. I'm sure lots of lighter systems would work too, Savage Worlds seems to be popular for this type of campaign.

If you enjoy more narrative-style games, Fate would probably do well for you as well.

Not him, but for me the game is shit for very simple reason - it's obviously made by people who had absolutely ZERO nautical experience of any kind.

Who cares? It's a fantasy pirate game, not a sailing simulator. It doesn't need to be accurate.

This.

I miss times when games like Twilight 2000 were made by people not only interested in the hobby, but actually knowing what the fuck they are doing. Now games are just made by random nerds for random nerds and if you by chance happen to know just about any knowledge about game subject, it becomes instantly obvious someone was making shit up on the go.

>Lets take the worst parts of 3.5 and the worst parts of d20 modern and try to weld them together!

Mate, I wish it was just accuracy problem. But this game has so little to do with maritme it makes fucking PotC look good by comparison.
And if that doesn't sound to you like some sort of heavy accusation - PotC is lowest of low when it comes of handling maritime.

Alternatively, it's not a lack of knowledge but a different set of priorities?

You can't assess a game on things it isn't trying to achieve.

Sure, if a game markets itself as realistic or accurate, it's perfectly valid to point out flaws or inaccuracies as evidence that it isn't properly executing its premise.

If a game makes no pretense at caring about those things, focusing on genre emulation and such, then a lack of accurate detail isn't a flaw, it's a feature.

Im curious as to why.

>The system is practically unusable as-is from what I remember from a 6-month campaign; even the core mechanics need tweaking for it to function as intended, and some of the stuff is just straight up unusable.
Granted, I haven't looked at the new edition at all.

The errata solved a lot of it, and the new edition uses this correction to start. Check out the quickstart. >I won't fight you, because that's a fucking good choice you fucking person of varied tastes.

Well, then you can go have a lovely evening you [delightful fellow user of class

Yes, and as someone who has sailed on historic ships, I can ignore that, as I am not an autistic manchild and I know that the rest of the table doesn't know port from starboard.

Also, PotC, expecially the last one where they went full-fantasy with the mermaids, played a lot like a pirate fantasy RPG.

7th Sea is like PotC. Fun, mindless and high spirited. If you want Horatio Hornblower or Master and Commander, look elsewhere.

Because I don't like you, on purely personal level, even if I never met you. But I've read enough of you to consider you just as bad as virt.

Also, I don't give a fuck what's the purpose of 7th Sea on paper, if the game has horrible mechanics requiring constant house-rules to even get it moving. It's pretty much Cthulhu Tech tier retarded, but with pirates.

>the rest of the table doesn't know port from starboard.
Then why they are playing maritime game in the first place?

Seriously, I never understand this behaviour and it's not about pirate games, but themes in general. When absolute laymans try to play just about anything they pick, because they consider it cool, never mind they have no fucking clue about that things. At best, it comes as cringe. At worst, it's outright offensive. And I'm not talking about some high-brow racial stuff, but when when people are just making stupid shit up, because they assume "hey, it's a game and I don't need to care".

Case the point - I've lately had a guy who wanted to play as a demolition expert. Since I happen to be a trained chemist, I've assumed he at least knows bare basics, like how explosives even work (as in - they blow things up). Turns out the player was so fucking incompetent, he didn't even know how gunpowder behaves (it ignites from sparks, the explosion is bigger the more tighter it's packed), which translated to him doing REALLY stupid shit in the game and other players even started calling him what the fuck he's even trying to achieve.
In short - don't play something you have no idea about, because it's a sure-fire for failure, especially when rest of your group, and especially GM, assumes you at least understands basics.

And in the haydays of PotC I had to deal with people imagining that you can seriously and genuinelly run a brig with a crew of two.

Two words for you:
Mount Stupid.

Veeky Forums flings accusations of autism around a lot, and most of them are exaggerations or out of place.

This? This is legitimate, actual autism.

It's a game of pretend. Of roleplaying different people with different skills to your own. You don't need to try and capture reality for a roleplaying game to be fun.

Do some groups enjoy it? Sure. But it isn't a necessary factor, and a lot of games and groups do without it just fine.

You actually expected a movie about dumb fantasy pirate adventures to realistically portray the boring, crappy, and soul-crushing experience of maritime?

Man, you are an autist.

So let me get this straight:
It's ok for people do "pretend" they know what they are doing and acting illogical or outright stupid, because hey, it's a game of pretend and... wait, what do you mean by "not using cinematic rules"?! I was sur... oh, all right.

In short - not everyone is playing the pulpiest of pulpy games.

No, I expect people not trying to play by cinematic rules in game that outright starts with "we are not using cinematic rules".

But hey, it's surely autism when I've get pissed for people not listening to a disclaimer done before they even made their characters, right?

Bonus points when rest of the party get the message and that one special snowflake didn't. Apparently that means the rest of the group is having fun the wrong way and should just embrace lolsrandom hijinks!

Ah, so you are just generally mentally deficient. Noted.

Maybe we'll meet in person some day. I'll buy you a drink, and use small words around you.

>Then why they are playing maritime game in the first place?

Because its fictional escapism, and through the course of the game I slowly taught them basic nautical operation. I am sorry you cannot have fun, or gently introduce people into real concept and practice by being a nurturing and supportive friend.

Your other option is to avoid playing with them, and only play with people of your knowledge base (IE, I was in a New-world witch hunt game that was all tabled by people who work 17th/18thC museums)

Back to high-sea hijinks. Anyone play Freebooter's Fate yet? Pic related

>game that outright starts with "we are not using cinematic rules".

Where does it say that? I want a page number.

>Im curious as to why.
Because fuck you, tripfag

Did I say everyone was? No. But the post I replied to acted like it was literally never okay.

Oh, and by the way, if you're playing a 'realistic' game and a player isn't aware of stuff OOC that they should be aware of IC? Fucking tell them. The player bought points in the skill, right? Then you, the fucking expert, tell the player OOC what their character knows IC. Or just makes reasonable assumptions/interpretations of his actions based on what his character should reasonably know how to do.

It's not hard to not be an asshole.

Not even him, but are you telling me you are not preparing for your role?

Because if we are going to use the actors and theatre references, then you need to prepare for your role. Even if that boils down to memorising lines, you still do it. You don't just come in and say "today I'm going to be X, even if I don't know any of his lines" to theatre. Why would you even do that?

Preparation for playing specific character is a key to actually playing that character, rather than a very broad aproximation of that character. I don't know any person doing serious roleplaying that doesn't prepare for their game.

There is such great quote that the worst people are the mild one, neither warm nor cold. So they awkwardly sit in the middle and think it's success by itself.

To teach someone something, they must be willing to learn, not throw a fit, because they are not allowed to continue their behaviour.

At this pace, I will have to describe specific situations and specific retardations, or otherwise you will all just lynch me for not allowing stupid people doing stupid shit and paint me as the bad guy.

In the fucking talk before we started playing, which I've mentioned in the same sentence. Jesus Chirst, ans supposedly I'm the autistic one.

What are you even fucking talking about? What does 'preparing for your role' even mean in a RPG context?

I make my sheet, I write my background, I put some thought into who they are as a person, their personality and so on, and I go from there.

My character is not an idea who sits in my head, fully formed. They are a means of connection with the world and the other players, and it's only through that interaction I learn who they truly are. Strangely enough, sometimes they even end up surprising me, developing in different directions or gaining traits that I didn't initially have in mind, but make sense based on the context they've found themselves in and the role within the game.

I thought we were still talking about 7th Sea. That's what started the argument, after all.

And yes, you are still autistic. Mainly because you want people to do homework before playing a game. What, do you make everyone take economics 1010 before you bust out Monopoly? Lighten up.

>I don't roleplay, I'm there to just roll dice

Nice knowing

How does that in any way follow from what I just said you stupid motherfucker?

Let me get this straigh
I'm asking too much from my players to read the fucking source book?
Or I'm demanding too much from them to actually roleplay in a roleplaying game?
Lighten up, because they just sit around and don't even know what the fuck to do, because "hey, it's not like in the movie"?

Because you assume there is no point preparing for playing a specific character. It means you don't roleplay, it's that fucking simple. You at best play the game.

So you didn't read a word of my post beyond the first line? Got it, you're just a fucking idiot.

As was said in >Oh, and by the way, if you're playing a 'realistic' game and a player isn't aware of stuff OOC that they should be aware of IC? Fucking tell them. The player bought points in the skill, right? Then you, the fucking expert, tell the player OOC what their character knows IC. Or just makes reasonable assumptions/interpretations of his actions based on what his character should reasonably know how to do.

>It's not hard to not be an asshole.

That's not what you said. That's not what anyone said. I'm not going to argue with you if you won't even bother to read.

Then pick your games and groups more careful, and not sperg out. Its a little worrying how much this effects you.

Maybe. Are you cute in a skirt?

>are you telling me you are not preparing for your role?

So help them. Don't be a sperg.

>What does 'preparing for your role' even mean in a RPG context?

He means doing research into the actual art/science of the character or character's job you're making. I support such things, but this guy is triggered by the lack of perfect knowledge.

There is so much autism going on here.

Back to the thread proper.

I've read it. It's the logical conclusion of following lines:
>I make my sheet, I write my background, I put some thought into who they are as a person, their personality and so on, and I go from there.
>My character is not an idea who sits in my head, fully formed. They are a means of connection with the world and the other players, and it's only through that interaction I learn who they truly are. Strangely enough, sometimes they even end up surprising me, developing in different directions or gaining traits that I didn't initially have in mind, but make sense based on the context they've found themselves in and the role within the game.

In short, you are not roleplaying. Instead, you are forming an avatar for social interaction, more interested in the interaction itself, than the avatar you are using for that.
To put that into some perspective, let's use the never-aging bard example.
Roleplaying bard would require actually singing and performing, most likely stuff you've created yourself, probably in relation with events of the previous scenario. Meanwhile, playing a game using bard avatar would be about rolling your dice to assume you are singing and performing.

I'm a "community GM". I have absolutely no say of what people will be at the table each Tuesday and Saturday. So yea, it kinda sorta affects me, because I don't pick my players and I have to deal with whoever comes around. Dunno, don't you have house of culture in Romania or something? I'm sure you should have them, like all post-commie nations.

And not him, but it was already stated in this thread that you can only help people who are interested in getting said help. So it put a serious damper on things when player does stupid shit, but won't listen to anyone.

>expecting bard players to sing

Do you expect fighter players to stab GMs? Or wizard players to do stage magic?

This is some weapons grade 'tism here.

Ahh, so you have no reading comprehension either. Good to know.

It's not about social interaction, it's about adaptation to context.

If you arrive at an RPG session with a completely fleshed out character in your head, every detail defined and established? Fuck you, you're not roleplaying right.

The situation, interactions and context the world provides can all influence your character, and embracing that is a true strength of the medium that nothing else can replicate.

Of course, I'm not actually an asshole. Both styles are fine, I just prefer to leave enough ambiguity and grey areas when creating a character that I can adapt them to fit whatever group dynamic emerges from the interactions between the characters.

Although the idea that you need IRL skills to be roleplaying a character 'right' continues to be fucking laughable.

>No expecting from players to roleplay

How does it feel to just meet up with people to roll dice instead doing half of the stuff the game is about?
And answering your question - you are telling me the guy playing as wizard doesn't chant and makes gestures for his spells, while the fighter showing on GM where and how he attacks, while the GM doesn't show on your players where their characters were hit and how?

What kind of lame shit are you playing then?

Rogue Trader

Are... Are you serious? Is this an actual thing that people do?

Is this why some people go so fucking crazy at any mention of ERP, as they assume it'd involve literally letting the GM fuck you?

>2017
>RPG is now about group of 3 to 6 people sitting at the table, eating Doritos and rolling dice
>This is considered normal and expected

>I'm a "community GM". I have absolutely no say of what people will be at the table each Tuesday and Saturday. So yea, it kinda sorta affects me, because I don't pick my players and I have to deal with whoever comes around.

I am being serious when I say it sounds like you need to get yourself out of that situation, because you're not cut out for it if it sets you off so much. Seriously man, find a group that has the same game ideology as you. For example, I know I wouldn't play with a murderhobo minmaxed munchkin group, because I know it would piss me off.

>Dunno, don't you have house of culture in Romania or something? I'm sure you should have them, like all post-commie nations.

Im Romani, not Romanian, and i'm American.

That's what roleplaying is about.
And it always been. I mean sure, I'm Polish and we are weird about roleplaying games, 2e Warhammer is still widely played and what not, but seriously, anyone who doesn't do this stuff is weird and is playing the wrong way.

What's the point of the whole "roleplaying game" if you don't roleplay?

>Implying this isn't what RPGs have literally always been

You Describe doing those things. In detailed or cinematic ways depending on the game and the granularity of the system in question. You don't actually need to fucking do it. That has never been a thing.

When I would have a steady group, I wouldn't be a GM in a community center, now would I? My group literally rode to far sides of the world after we finished uni, now I'm stuck with random people. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't.

And get out of my property, you gypsy scum!

user, you are being trolled to dust, let it go.

Maybe around your place, whenever it would be.

I mean pretty much all Polish games, aside maybe the abysmal Wolsung, were always all about roleplaying as an actual activity. Field trips when season is right and so on. Not LARPing, because that's not the same thing, but being both descriptive AND acting properly. I mean what's the point of saying "I chant a spell" - fucking DO IT.
I don't know, maybe that's some country-specific shit, but it's so obvious and widespread I've always assumed it's someting absolutely normal. And always the most stereotypical, unadjusted people just sitting and rolling dice instead of roleplaying, but never actually met someone like that in my life. And I'm roleplaying since junior high, which I've finished over a decade ago.

>When I would have a steady group, I wouldn't be a GM in a community center, now would I?

It kind of sounds like no one would play with you otherwise. Have you tried asking your other friends? Putting out a flyer? Posting on the gamefinder threads here on Veeky Forums?

You are a sad, lonely user, and you have my condolences.

>And get out of my property, you gypsy scum!
Nah. I've been tripping here a decade. Im good and comfy.

Nice to know I'm trolling

Son, I'm living in a town with population of 5k. How much people eligible for tabletops you think live around, if next town is 30 km away and there are only fields and villages around? I'm playing with what I can get.
Also, imply harder. Weak-ass ad-homs are too weak to have effect.

Gropey for realsies, I disagree with tripfaggotry as a rule, but I respect that even when a thread disolves into a shitshow like this, you still always post on topic pics and info the whole time.

You have earned a single fuck. Use it wisely.

No gaming is better than bad gaming user

If you aren't a troll, then that's just a local thing. I've literally never heard of any other games working like that.

> I'm playing with what I can get

Why not play online then? Why play at all if its making you unhappy?

You need to do some soul searching, friend.

Thanks user.

Two words for you, to make it easy for you, one of them is the same.

>Octopus mount

Wait, so what if the NPC is a cute princess, and your dude is going to stick it in her bum? Do you stick it in the DM's bum?

And why should it be trolling? I mean... I don't even have words to describe it properly now.

You are telling me people actually, for real, sit around the table and just throw dice, without any roleplaying whatsoever? And it's not just the god-awful portay of roleplaying in shitty Hollywood films?

>Octopus mount
>stick it in the DM's bum

I got the rum, AND the lash! Lets make this game immersive!

'Roleplaying' just means speaking in character and describing your characters actions. And the reason people suspect you of trolling is that the notion you're not aware of this is somewhat absurd. Especially since every fucking RPG book tells you this in its introduction.

I've once had a GM who was using his girlfriend and then wife as a "magician's assistant". She was basically around when he needed someone to do female bits, which sometimes reached hilarious situations, like she suddenly sitting on the lap of someone or stuff like that.

But on more serious note - it's not about roleplaying everything. It's about roleplaying what is possible to roleplay. So sticking with that wizard - you make a gesture (and try to make the same gesture each time for the same spell, hepls if it its described in the book) when casting a spell, but obviously you don't set up a house on fire.

I never said it makes me unhappy. I've just said I have no control over with whom I'm going to play. It was you, lousy lot, jumping into conclusions.
But it does make me unhappy, when suddenly after few games a group dissolves OR one day a complete idiot shows up and ruins it not only for me, but also for the group. Bonus points when the presence of such person eventually dissolves the group, because players are already hard to come by.

Still not convinced if this is genuine or some elaborate troll

The book with which I've started had 1/3 of it dedicated on how to roleplay as much as possible and how to do it without exaggerating or spending too much money. Even if it openly advised to "lend" that broche from your mom for the costume.

Everything you say about it makes you sound unhappy.

We're just concerned for you, as a member of our crew!

Cucks shouldn't be allowed to vote or own property, imo

? ? ?

Ignore it. 'Cuck' is one of those words where you can assume anyone who is voluntarily using it sincerely is an idiot not worth listening to.

It's not that. I simply don't see the connection between my post and his reply.

TO THE SEAS, SMEE!

It's like, your opinion, man

ARRRR me hearty!

Why the shark is wearing those stupid bracelets/

For armour/weapon purposes I would asume. Maybe cultural?

Maybe he's having that phase in his life?

buccaneer bump

No shitstorm = no thread

Anyone know a system that specifically has good sailing mechanics?

I'm making a system right now, and the big obstacle I've been facing is travel, I can't for the life of me think of a travel system that I like, and haven't found one in anything I've played before. I'm trying to find something for inspiration.

I'd almost think this was a pasta, but the demolitions expert thing's too specific. This is just, outputting autistic. Like, not autistic in a funny way, just in a vaguely depressing way.

>Are there any simplified game mechanics for a situation impossible to model mathematically
Just for the record - we still didn't figure out math for wind patterns, which is one of the main reasons why aero tunnels are still in use.

>So sticking with that wizard - you make a gesture (and try to make the same gesture each time for the same spell, hepls if it its described in the book) when casting a spell, but obviously you don't set up a house on fire.
What about people who play tabletop games online, in a skype or discord call? Or through Roll20?