Imperium Asunder

It's been too long and Sarco doesn't have the pasta edition

Welcome to Imperium Asunder, a 40k alt-lore project.

It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Galaxy has been beset by strife and torn by war. The Emperor, who had once dreamed of uniting the Galaxy under His banner, is long dead. Half of the Primarchs, his demigod sons turned against him, and in a climactic battle on Terra the Emperor was cast down. With his death, Terra was consumed by a Warpstorm and half the Imperium fell forever under the shadow of Chaos.

1d4chan.org/wiki/Imperium_Asunder

Other urls found in this thread:

m.imgur.com/gallery/fFhWx
1d4chan.org/wiki/Imperium_Asunder_Campaigns#Crusades
tabletopgaming.co.uk/board-games/news/animal-rights-group-peta-calls-for-warhammer-fur-clothing-ban
discord.gg/cy7HQmc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

bump

Oh man I was hoping there'd be more interest. Any of you guys out there from last time?

Yes?

Quick thing, can anybody explain what happened to the Tau?

The Tau developed as they did in the OU, but we're eventually caught in a proxy war between the Kor Protectorate and Imperium Minorum. I'm not 100% sure what happened to them after this, but the last thing I remember a lot of them were reduced to a nomadic existence.

Holy shit this.

Anyone find it kinda funny that the Eldar are getting a canon army of the dead to rebuild their old empire just like here?

If 40K keeps going in the current direction the only difference between it and AS will be that one or two of the AS Primarchs may not have died permavirgins.

Crushed by the Imperium Minorum, causing the Primarch leader of the Protectorate to kill his brother and spark a vicious holy war.

The surviving Tau are either in the Protectorate or Farsight Enclave descendants that have gone full Mont'ka and live to raid Imperium Minorum planets and make them suffer.

Yeah I thought that was fucking hilarious when I saw it. Speaking of undead legions, a while ago someone was talking about making a 30k list for the Undying Scions, did anything ever come of that?

Okay, what about the Kroot, or the Vespids?

Xun reporting in!

Some were taken into the Protectorate. Some of the other states took in Earth Caste engineers. Rail guns and gravitic drives are appearing more regularly, though there's some question of whether or not these are things that would actually be worth reverse engineering.

We never really discussed them. If you want to do something with them please do.

I'm going to flesh out the Vigil civil war where they have a schism over necron tech, but I can't remember what crusade number it was. Anyone have a list?

The Kroot worlds along with the Vespids did survive, thankfully. They managed to save their asses by a warshere ramming his ship a 'la mazer rachkam style. It saved the kroot worlds. Along with vespid. These are some of the Tau's only worlds. Also, gue'vesa mostly joined the tau, although some defected.

Only potential issue with that is that the Damocles gulf was cleansed by the Sky Serpents acting as a neutral third party. In return for salvage rights. The Tau were given time to evacuate as a condition of Kor's ceasefire.
Could be that the planets to be cleansed were specified and Vespid and Kroot worlds didn't fall under the edict and so were left in situ, particularly if they're periphery to the Damocles Gulf.

Xun, what do you think needs working on? Upon rereading the wiki page, I think that the introduction could use a rewrite.

Also, Doctor Jobs compiled all the US successors in am imgur album here, and I'm inclined to think he did a very good job.

m.imgur.com/gallery/fFhWx

I'll do the rest of the Black Suns' wiki page today. Also, good to see IA is back.

The list is here:

1d4chan.org/wiki/Imperium_Asunder_Campaigns#Crusades

I was under the impression that the Empra is already dead for a long, long time. What else would explain him being immobile on the throne with his body rotting and falling apart over the ages?

Hell if anything the Throne actually kept his soul tethered to his dead body so that he could still work the Astronomican.

Sure. In this setting he's dead-dead, though. In 40K it's arguable; he could simply be alive but so rotted and decrepit that he can interact with the world in no meaningful fashion whatsoever, and all his focus is set on maintaining the Astronomican. Or he could be tethered there by his body, or a bunch of other theories could be correct. Either way, the Emperor still has a tangible presence in the galaxy and there is SOMETHING important on that throne that has to do with him.

In this setting he's not on the Golden Throne. The Imperium is lost to the loyalists. The heretics won and the Warmaster is now the Emperor.

I quite like this.

The Kroot are cool. I'd rather they didn't go down with the Tau.

That said, a lot of them could be running around with the Farsight Descendants, being nasty space pirates.

It kinda sounds as though the Tau ended up like Blanche's original concept for them.

Oh hey Imperium Asunder!

Is Farsight still alive Y/N? That sword of his would technically allow him to live forever.

Alright, they have more autonomy than previously, but are still pledging their allegiance to the Tau. The Tau Independance Coalition is in full swing.

I don't want to give a definite no, but it's possible that Farsight wasn't born at all in this continuity. The sword would still exist, though.

Didn't he emerge pretty early in the Tau expansion?

I hope this doesn't sound mary sue-ish
Alright, so farshight had a son, that son grew on t'ros, scavenging wrecks for parts. He finds about his fathers legacy.

I'm not sure about that one.

Bump

I think he did.

As Star Wars as that is, it actually works pretty well, I think. I can imagine small Tau populations on outlying mining planets, most of which would be Jade Empire anyway, thanks to their machinations during the treaty. They're really of the all can serve the Empire style, so outside of disappearing the occasional ethereal that pops up, they'd be just one more prole.

Black Suns have now been updated. More may be added later, but as of now, only details of the events (and the War of the Beast) remain unwritten.

Bump

Currently writing stuff about the 9th crusade.

Anyone here?

The Ninth Crusade

None know for certain what event spurred the awakening of the necrons. Perhaps Anshul's ritual at the outset of the Eighth Crusade triggered some ancient alarm mechanism that pulled the myriad dynasties from their slumber. Perhaps it was the execution of the Cacodominus by the Funerary Guard and the subsequent psychic backlash that caused such an event. All that is truly known is that when the necrons awoke, they were greeted by mortal servants in a splinter faction of the Undying Scions, the necropolis cult. These marines, led by their dreadnought superiors, had been subverted by members of the triarch praetorians, who had not gone into hibernation.

I like the idea of sorcery triggering necrons and so having some stronger anti-chaos reaction.

Ugh, that last sentence runs on for way too long.

Thanks! I'm also playing with the idea that the Cacodominus was one of the Illithyd.

After meeting with their necron masters, the necropolis cult was convinced that using the xenos' technology could return their primarch to life. They laid siege to Amaranth in order to gain access to its vast tomb-complexes, but were eventually driven off with the arrival of the Crimson Warhawks liberation fleet.

With what we've been building them up to be, that Cacodominus idea works pretty well.

I would imagine the Kroot might be more widespread in this universe. The Protectorate would definitely allow them to settle and I can see the less rigidly anti-Xeno domains using them as mercenaries. I imagine they'd be widely employed in the Tempest Zone. I get the feeling the Storm Kingdoms might also use them.
I know I've also written that the Jade Empire tends to exterminate them, but I don't remember why. The cannibalistic tendencies and all that strike the Sky Serpents as just a bit too close to home and the Kroot are barely civilized?
If you're going to do human sacrifice and the like, then you need to be civilized to compensate?

(Which is why the old Behemoth Guard were ok and the Void Lords are totally acceptable.)

Hmm, I've never given much thought to how xenophobic the Scions are. Do you have any thoughts on this?

Bump. I forget when most people are on for this.

Reflex is to have them hate xenos as usual, but I think there's a decent case for having a bit more of a complex view.
Pre-box, I can't imagine Sarco caring too much about xeno non xeno. He just wants a good fight.
Afterwards, I think he'd be inclined to avoid unnecessary bloodshed with a well chosen protectorate. We also have Kor running around and being tolerated, so I think there's a warmer climate towards xenos anyways.
After the heresy, the Scions are stubborn and have an iron will. But they also strike me as practical and desperate times and all that. I don't think they have the luxury of intolerance. When your primary enemy is chaos and you can get Kroot to go fight them, there's less of a reason to say no. And when Necrons arise and offer their aid, you've got a real debate on your hands. Unlike, say, Minorum, where they're not on the front lines and can afford to start a war with the Paladins over something as trivial as some minor xenos.

>Bump
>Bump
>Bump
>Have a bump
>Bump
>Bump

It's time to let this autism die.

Just looked at the new traitor legion codex. Emperor's Children are looking pretty strong with that icon of 4+ invuln, which makes me feel good about the 40k Spears.

And it's a matter of people seeing it anyways.

What do you mean?

Horus heresy books talks about this scenario.
Alpha legion tried to bring this scenario to reality because the Cabal prophesied that Horus will kill himself too.

How is Horus in this lore?

Horus doesn't exist in this continuity. We have a different cast of primarchs entirely.

This Warmaster is alive and kicking, though I think there's some (deliberate?) ambiguity as to just how he's feeling about all this.
I think he's going the war is peace route and trying to rule his Empire by pitting the four against each other. If he could dethrone them he would, not because he hates chaos, but because he wants total control.
The advantage with this version is that it adds some drama on the chaos end. The Gods are growing tired of the Warmaster and he's got his gambit. All we know is that things are going to go crazy as chaos pushes east.

Thanks.

How much have we fleshed out the mechanicum?

Various. There's some worlds that are pretty clear and parts of the working of the Forgespace. There's a lot politics at play.

Horus doesn't exist, all the Primarchs are different.

The Warmaster is an Orwellian spymaster who is all about total thought control and paranoid dictatorship. He's scrubbed all record of his name out of history and the only people that ever meet him in person are the traitor Primarchs that have remained as subjects in his Imperium.

Rather than winning through brute force he won through deception. He made sure the loyalist legions were scattered when the Heresy started, pitted them against one another, literally stabbed the Emperor in the back rather than dueling him, etc.

Inaccurate.

Replace his torso with a postbox.

Wait, if the Emperor is dead, why hasn't all of corporeal reality been swallowed by the Warp already?

As far as the last few threads went the Mechanicus split during the Heresy; part of them joined with the Behemoth Guard and became the Dark Mechanicum, part of them hooked up with the Fists of Mars and as a whole would start Forgespace. I also remember there being discussion about the Void Dragon but I don't remember what direction it went.
As of the current day all that's really said is that they and the Fists of Mars have become one entity. I know the other Crusader states also have their own factions of the AdMech so we should probably clear that up.

I'd been thinking the forgeworlds in the East fell into a few major categories.

Forges under the Admech based in Forgespace
--These are the ones that ended up swearing loyalty to the new Fabricator General on Tarsis Sinister

Forges under the Legions
--Notionally legion forges, like Kiavar of the Raven Guard. These are forges that were either established by the legions during the crusade or swore loyalty directly to the legions

"Independent" Forges
--Forges that did their oaths some other way. Either they swore loyalty to a traitor legion, to a forge diocese that no longer exists, or, in some cases, to the Emperor himself. Alternatively, they swore loyalty to Mars directly but don't recognize the Fabricator General in Forgespace.

I'd written up examples of how this all might play out politically for three Forges notionally in Jade Empire space, Tindalos, Incaladion, and Anvilius, I'll see if I can find them, but essentially, they ranged from:
"We swore loyalty to the Emperor and when he died that passed to Malcador and from Malcador to Xun. If you want to make a legal case of it, you'll need to submit the case to the heir of the imperium, the court of Xun, through your your Emperor appointed representative." (Way it was worded required for them to accept Xun as the rightful ruler of the Imperium.)

to

"Sorry, we have to check our foundational papers. Unfortunately our original EULA was lost when Mars fell, but the copy in our archives says we're doing what we're supposed to do. We can do a mission to mars if you really want to, but now's not the best time with it being run by heretics."

Basically, the Emperor has ascended to divinity and has been protecting the East.
There's also the fact that the chaos primarchs are in their dysfunctional Imperium. They might have been able to steamroll the loyalists during the scouring, but the warp storms got terrible very quickly and when they calmed down, they got hit by The Beast.

There's also The Warmaster needs to keep an eternal war with the loyalits to keep his Imperium together. And if chaos subsumes reality, he's no longer needed, so he works against chaos to a certain extent.
On a totally different tact, I ran a character in a Deathwatch game a bit back using a randomly generated chapter that happened to come out pretty Void Lordy. The chapter tactics were things that provided buffs against enemies in cover, which I think is a neat idea to potentially pursue with the VL. Dread, then sudden shock and awe terror assault, and the real expertise is picking out the cowards who hide. Cowards and the true opponents who know fear as well as you do and are waiting in the shadows for you.

>Legion Forge XXVII, designation Phlegethus
Conquered by the Undying Scions early into the Great Crusade, Phlegethus' position near important warp lanes and its rich deposits of raw materials made it an ideal candidate for colonization by the priesthood of Mars. As of the 41st millenium Phlegethus continues to provide war materiel for the XVIII legion as part of an ancient pact. Of note are the priesthood's use of Asphodim Assassin Servitors, a unlikely pattern known for their incredible speed and dexterity.

Most of Segmentum Solar is warpy. Terra is now a Warp storm of the same kind as the Eye of Terror.

Emprah used the last of his power to nullify they spread of the Warp further as he left physical reality. It's possible that the Warmaster actually wanted this, as dissolving realspace isn't in his interests. No realspace = no Imperium, and what he wants more than anything else is absolute, unquestionable control over the Imperium.

I'm going to post planet and militia ideas I guess
>Amaterasan Rising Sons
The gas giant Amaterasa is home to a bizarre geological phenomenon. Several floating 'islands' rise above the storms of the planet below, and are ceaselessly fought over by the world's inhabitants. These wars do not make them exempt to the Vigilant Draft, however, and members from all island-states are inducted into the Amaterasan Rising Sons, a militia regiment known for their fanatical devotion to their homeworld and the Vigil at large.

What do you guys think about the illithyd?

So are they under legion rule? How do they relate to the Fabricator General in Forgespace?

They ostensibly answer to the fabricator general, but realistically they're more prone to helping out the Scions by building them tons of dreadnought chassis.

Roger.
Actually, how do the Scions do that? Do they have an ass load of techmarines or did they just let in the Mechanicum in a major way after Sarco got boxed?

The Emperor foresaw (and engineered) the Scions' drastic shift in tactics during the time between Sarco's wounding at the hands of the Eldar and his return to the larger galaxy. He ensured that many Scions had techmarine training but made it clear that they were no more deferential to the mechanicum than the average marine. Now, the Scions train each marine in the repair and upkeep of the holy sarcophagi.

Cool, so then the Scions field a large number of forgemasters, but are distant with Mars.

So how does this impact their relations with the Forgespace?

The Undying Scions don't have the warmest of relationships with forgespace, especially after the Ninth crusade, but they aren't as blatantly antagonistic as, say, Imperium Minorum and the Kor Protectorate.

Do we want to set up some sort of alternative contact thing, since this seems like an ungainly way to get things going again?
(Which is really too bad since I want to do up some more campaigns.)

Go away I'm being a hermit.

Also, Sarco wants to use my Discord. This is acceptable.

Only if you get rid of your peridot gallery you fucking degenerate.

No.

No! The galaxy needs you!

What Primarch are we up to in the detailing of homeworld and all that?

Hmm, were we doing Marcus last?

Sounds legit. I recall him wandering off into the wilds to fight kill bots until he was able to override the AI core or whatever left over from the earlier mechanicum attempt to colonize the world.

After that he returns and the cities start fighting over the new resources? And then he unites the cities and upgrades everything? That whole best of technology thing, I think.

Ideally there's some parallelism with Gengrat seeing how they end up being best buddies until the heresy.
Marcus being sort of an art deco optimism and Gengrat being a techno horror German Expressionist.

post the discord then?

>Anders is a Perifag

This isn't even remotely surprising.

Reading up on the Primarchs/Legions.

I feel like half these guys should have broken off together even without the influence of Chaos. Also, am I meant to think that the Negators and Warp Raiders are working together somehow?

I don't think that was the intention when they were written, but it's an interesting theory. Tell me, what evidence is there for it?

>terra consumed by a warp storm
Are you chaos players seriously this butthurt about getting btfo that you come to invent your own chaos wank lore here?

There should be laws against being this stupid.

IA ain't about Chaoswank. It's about a theoretical continuity where the Heresy ended badly and the Imperium is Chaos now while the Loyalists are the ones fighting it. Chaos is still the bad guys.

As far as I can tell, 90% of IA's lore focuses on the loyalist Primarchs after the Imperium falls and they set up their own nations in the galactic east.

This.
Chaos a shit.

tabletopgaming.co.uk/board-games/news/animal-rights-group-peta-calls-for-warhammer-fur-clothing-ban

This thread is now dedicated to talking about Amaranthian megapanthers. The apex predator of Amaranth, the megapanther is a massive catlike creature easily the size of a chimera.

I wouldn't say shit. But its power and threat is pretty exaggerated in my opinion. Chaos can and has been beaten backmany times. It is insidious and unrelenting, but not an immediate threat in almost any case.

Partly because we've not gotten around to detailing life in the dark Imperium, but yeah.

It's the big bad. The thing the East has been worried about for 10,000 years. They've kept it at bay thanks to strategy and determination as well as inefficiency inside chaos, but it's coming.

Oh, and while we're at it, did we have legion colors we wanted to redo? I recall the Void Lords as sort of being a mess.

And if we've not got much to say on Marcus at the moment, do we want to move to Grahanak or Faustus? (Skipping over a few that we don't have the people on hand for or we've already discussed at length)

Indeed. It's big and bad, but the real large-scale threat is always "eventually". While it is often described as "we are going to die any second now", Chaos tends to take its time compared to other, nearly as dangerous galactic threats.

>Faustus
As much as I like the bit about Luna being in stasis over Terra for ten thousand years, I really wanted the moon to be lost in the warp and attracting treasure hunters and astartes forces whenever and wherever it reappeared.

If we don't mind going all weird chaos with it, it could be that a reflection of the moon appears randomly out of the warp, overhanging planets ominously, attracting treasure hunters, filled with odd reflections of ancient legionarries from traitor and loyal legions alike.
It falls slowly, and vanishes just before impact.
Harbinger of doom and all that. People have been tracking the Red Moon, trying to find a pattern in the aetheric tides, since it usually preceeds a major chaos invasion or something, but seldom in that location.

Equally strangely, the Red Moon goes through phases, but instead of the interplay of light, entire segments of the surface are missing.

Something like that?

I do like my psychic mirrors. That sounds like a cool idea.

While we're on the subject of psychic shittery, is there anything I need to flesh out for the Illithyd? I'm kind of lacking direction for them right now.

bump

I dunno. They seem kind of like the sort of thing best kept in the background. Might be neat to have them run up against a Genestealer cult.
Actually, with them running around, I'd assume the Imperiums are much more resistant to Genestealer subversion, what with them being used to Illythids.

The Illithyd don't really infiltrate as much as they just steal people for fodder and reproduction. I'd be interested to see how they react to tyranids though.

discord.gg/cy7HQmc

Here's the link to Anders' discord. They mostly use the lobby for Penal Regiment stuff so I'd stick to the new Imperium Asunder room.

Not seeing the room?

Just a second, Anders masked it.

Not going to lie this seems like chaos fan wank Mary Sue X1000000