Kingdom Death Monster General /kdmg/

KINGDOM DEATH GENERAL
FAST THREAD EDITION

>Old thread;
>Topics of Discussion
Why are all the monster so happy?
In particular DK, Mountain Meme, and Pariah seem to be in on a particular joke.
What could it be?

Extra Phoenix Droppings;
>Kickstarter 1.5 Page:
kickstarter.comprojects/poots/kingdom-death-monster-15/description
>Adams comments:
kickstarter.com/profile/poots/comments
>Pledge and addon overview:
vibrantlantern.com/KDM15/#pledgelevels

Anyone else play a little fast and loose with the timing for using survival actions?

Secondly, its one use for each survival action per set of turns, resetting on the monster turn, or per turn (allowing you to surge on the monster turn and once on the survivors turn)?

In what way? I've found being able to move between flows is sufficient to let me do most of what I want in the game. My biggest problem is running out of survival more than anything else.

First one. You get your surge back at the beginning of the monster turn. You don't get a second one on the survivor turn.

Consider the Rawhide armor set. That thing often sees use through LY25 for good reason.

Monsters are all happy because they know that humanity is finite, while they however just get to keep coming back when killed.

So me and my friends have played through a couple campaigns, had tons of fun, and we still love it. We started to experiment with adding our cards/rules and such, and had some fun/weird experiences. So with that under our belt, we are working on our first monster. Here is our first concept: The Ash Totem ( Name will most likely change if we think of something cooler))

The Totem is a large, bipedal golem, made of rune-carved stone, with a lanter oven built in its belly. It can be either a normal quarry, or you can run a People of the Totem campaign.

The Totem's gimmick, is that it uses AI cards from all the other monsters. In the monsters showdown phase, it gives you a list of AI cards that should be taken from other decks, and then shuffled and used like normal ( We are in the process of making a spread sheet of cards we think will work, and cards that will be too weird. ) This is in addition to the Totem's own AI cards, which usually involved influencing it's AI deck. For example:

Spirit Possession: Status Card
" Based on the current card on top of the Totem's AI Deck, gain the following stats
White Lion: +1 Speed
Antelope: +1 Movement
Phoenix : Materialize at end of turn"

In the People of the Totem campaign, survivors build their settlement around a large, friendly Totem. By feeding resources into the furnace on it's belly, it can provide boons, items, and abilities. However, the spirits of the slain monster will eventually possess him, and he will attempt to destroy the settlement. His AI deck will be based on what monster resources you have fed him during your settlement phases. This will be your major Nemesis encounters, ending with a suped up version, as the final boss.

Is this interesting enough for people to want me to post progress as we work on it?

Cool. Campaign sounds like KD's version of Old Yeller. What kind of design elements are gonna define the campaign's progression?

For instance, People of the Sun forces an aggression heavy settlement that has to build up a means of surviving a punishing boss rush. People of the Stars is defined by the need to create and protect super survivors and is really oriented around developing survivors over the settlement. People of the Lantern is all about surviving a steady stream of punishing events and never getting attached to a single survivor. What unique play styles is your proposed campaign bringing to the campaign?

>His AI deck will be based on what monster resources you have fed him during your settlement phases. This will be your major Nemesis encounters, ending with a suped up version, as the final boss.
This sounds kinda neat. Everything else sounds a bit meh.

Tested my Riddle Gheist Hand/Watcher miniboss in my People of the Hive campaign tonight. I changed its toughness to equal the current lantern year and its health to equal the current lantern year -5 (was LY-5 and LY-10 before) as I realized, given you're liable to fight it in the mid/late campaign, it ends up being a bit easy to kill (especially with easy access to devastating 1). Fight was fun and felt like it was the right level of challenge. I managed to blitz it down to around 3 life left while keeping all my survivors alive. Then the monster drew Inhale and I ran out of survival.

(continued): I had brought my two best Honeypots and two newbie male survivors along on the fight. The male survivors were the only ones that could get even vaguely close to the monster, since the Honeypots were stuck with 1 move and all of the Gheist's actual attacks target areas instead of specific survivors. It murdered both of them with collision head damage + Ghost Step/inhale shenanigans. Then one of its Hit Locations struck the Honeypot with any actual chance of wounding it with permanent knockdown. Then it drew inhale into a Hand targeting card.

It knocks back my only remaining viable survivor. She was adjacent to it at the start, and is equipped with a bow, so she's exactly enough spaces away to kill it. If she doesn't attack THAT turn, the Gheist will Penalty both her and my other remaining survivor to death. I've got two choices: try to deal the two remaining wounds on the Gheist with a Cat Gut Bow (two shots with ~50% chance to wound if they both hit) or use the Slender Arrows on it. Problem with that is she has Legendary Lungs and the monster has two separate traps in its hit location deck and only about half of the deck left for them to be lurking in.

I decide that risking the trap means risking getting my character killed, but she's dead anyway, and two low chance wounds was an almost definite TPK, so I go for the slender arrows. Get six hits. Draw what feels like half the hit location deck--no traps!

But there are two first strike locations, and one of them will have the beast move out of range and then cancel all attacks out of range. I've got to get both wounds to kill it.

I roll both wounds and the beast goes down. Epic ending.

Meant it drew exhale into a Hand targeting card. Derp.

Last thread the topic of inserting The Beast into Kingdom Death was brought up. I decided to try my hand at it. What do you all think?

1/2

>Marked by the Beast

Returning survivors pass through an eerie forest. The gnarled and bent trees seem to grasp at them, while what seem to be hollow faces stare out sightlessly from the bark of the trees. As the survivors make their way through the woods, they feel as if they are being watched. Each survivor must roll 1d10; the survivor with the lowest roll (or survivors in the case of a tie) become Stragglers and must roll on the table.

1-5 : One moment, the survivor is in the midst of the group; the other, he seems to vanish. A lingering baritone voice can be heard singing and steadily growing fainter, as if it was moving away from the group. The survivor is dead; archive all gear they carried.
6-9 : The survivor is Marked by the Beast. Throughout the hunt, they feel as if they are being watched; the survivor begins the Showdown phase with the Doomed effect and may not spend survival until they are struck by the Quarry.
10+ : The survivor finds a strange lantern. Gain the Lantern of Souls gear.

2/2
>Lantern of Souls: Item, Lantern, Other, Cursed.

If another Survivor dies during the Showdown phase, gain 1 Survival and roll 1d10.

1-6 : The lantern is sated. Gain +1 Insanity and a random disorder.
7-9 : The lantern is sated. Gain +2 Insanity.
10+ : The lantern is sated, preserving the memory of the fallen survivor. Gain +3 Insanity and one Fighting Art or Mastery the fallen survivor knew.

If a survivor dies with the Lantern of Souls in their Gear Grid, archive all their gear.

If another survivor does not die during the Showdown phase, immediately resolve the Murder event during the next Settlement phase; the survivor with the Lantern of Souls in their gear grid is automatically chosen as the Murderer. If the survivor would not be killed while resolving the Murder settlement event, roll on the Lantern of Souls table as normal. If the survivor would be killed, they vanish without a trace, the only clue to their disappearance a jolly-sounding baritone voice singing in the darkness and growing fainter as it moves away from the settlement. Gain no resources (if you would have gained resources from the body) and archive all gear in the survivor's gear grid.

Bump

ded game

Nah, just ded thred

Like the concept, but that last bit inserting murder would be a shit ton of text to throw on a single gear card. Also seem's pretty punishing. Think you'd have to set it up to pair with something that guarantees deaths to make it worth it, and there's not much in the game right now that does that.

The event seems fine, though.

Best pin up coming through. Stand at attention

You forgot to post the actual best pinups, user

I gotchu, fampire

Poots abandoned us.

There is no hope.

Everyone go home.

+1 understanding.

Gained random Disorder.

[Spoiler] Apathetic [/spoiler]

Jesus, you are super fucked. We won't get Abyssal Woods till 2022 at the earliest....

Fucking twinplebs.

We must prevail, hope still shines bright like the finest lantern! Day of our reward is nigh!

how old were you when you realized poots took all of our money and ran

I take it you weren't part of the first Kickstarter?

You feel special or something? Want a pin?

Nah I already have the game and all the old expansions.

I hope in 2086 when KS 3 finally ships someone says this to you.

so what sleeves are you guys using for this game?
inb4 mage/meme sleeves

KMC Hyper Mat Minis

penny M:tG sleeves cut to size

not a bad idea if you can do it consistently. my worry would be after a while you could tell some of the cards apart

For the most part, Swan Sleeves, with Mage Sleeves for the Settlement Events and Locations.

G-guys... Lion God....

Smashed me. S-smashed me flat....

We got pulped in literally no time. We tried to hide behind chunks of menhir, but he just grabbed whatever was in his way and either clobbered the goddamn survivors so hard that he knocked an ancestors tooth loose or he chucked it up into the sky and we got to play catch with the multi-ton debris.

Thinking about Grand weapons next time...

Anybody else have this experience? Is there anything in the game that wrecks face harder? I'm not even mad, just kind of impressed.

Not sure, I think Lion God is the hardest fight atm.

I'm glad it wasn't just me. It was really demoralizing, the effortlessness with which he pasted our balls.

It's honestly amazing, while you can take on the other monsters with certain skills and such Lion God is the only one who strikes true fear into our campaign.

Never seen his stats or AI cards, what are some of the nasty moves he pulls? Does he use his dick tentacle face?

What expansion is the Berserker fighting art from?

Can't seem to find it on TTS.

The base game?

She was a joy to paint I must say.

Might be missing from the base game in my save, I'll have to check.

He destroys terrain as weapons and utterly destroys you, and while one of his attacks is merely brutal a lot of his cards have 'then draw one more AI'. So lots of combo chains.

Its like fighting the Undertaker

> Those poor survivors. He got them both with a chokeslam, one ON THE OTHER
> I see that survivor getting up, but there is no mercy in the Lion God's eyes tonight. That Survivor is going to have to-
> Whats this? The Lion God isn't done with him just yet!
> BAW GOD, ITS THE TOMBSTONE
> HE JUST BROKE THAT SURVIVOR IN HALF

Had the experience, we went in after two of our aces got frenzied, which was absolutely crippling in that fight.

I recommend ranged weapons, personally

Iirc, he has a red tag on most cards called relentless and a trait that says if you draw a card with relentless draw again.

It has been a while but I think it's something like that, also iirc, he hits like a level 3 on level 1.

Berserker is base game, not expac.

One of his more fun cards is where he picks up a piece of terrain and uses it to smash survivors. We represented it by tucking the stone column into the model and it was pretty brutal.

Also, when he throws terrain it gets real, real quick.

No matter what, make sure you spelunking asap, that's where his real rewards are.

Thats a funny way of saying Honeycomb weaver pinup

You gave me a flashback.

So far, we have a couple of ideas about different mechanics we want to include, mainly working on tying them all together into a theme. Here are some of the ones we like

Shamans: When the survivors return from the first hunt, one of them will dedicate themselves to the Totem, and become it's shaman. He will Feed the Flame, an event which has him pushing some part of himself into the furnace of the Totem. He rolls on a chart, which usually has him facing a grievous injury/debuff, but will provide a minor bonus to his fellow survivors. The Shaman must always depart, getting more and more wounded each time. After a certain number ( We are thinking like 4 or 5) He will throw himself completely into the flame, and be killed. This causes two things.

His spirit will help purify the Totem, weakening the monsters attempting to control it. In game, this will weaken the Totem when he eventually turns on the settlement.

And the settlement will receive a large boon, in the shape of a unique innovation, a smattering of resources, or buffs for some of the survivors.

So part of the game is going to be carrying a survivor, that gets worse and worse with each hunt, until he can be sacrificed. If you let your shamans die too often, the Totem will have a massive AI deck at the end.

We are also toying around with the idea of Rune-Carving, an attempt to replicate the runes that are etched into the Totem, on their weapons. This will be a sort of artifact system, where you can " Level up" a weapon by sacrificing resources to it from a certain monster. One rune might require 5 lion resources, and now it will grant the pounce ability, etc etc. It's something we are still toying around with, but one guy made a pretty neat weapon character sheet.

Cont.

For making the campaign more difficult, we are looking at some triggers that would make hunting low level monsters impossible. Either at a certain lantern year, or after a certain number of resources have been sacrificed to the Totem, you will only be able to hunt level 2, then later, only level three. The final two hunts before the final totem battle, will have to be legendary monsters.

We just started working on this last night, so this will probably all completely change, but if you guys have any ideas, that would be sweet, we are meeting up again Sunday night to work on it.

Jeeeeesus fuck I never realized how big that fucker is. Daaaaaamn. I knew he was big, but damn.

how would you build the most accurate Guts character?
Messenger of Humanity is a given, but what fighting arts would be top priority?

I made it so wordy because I wasn't sure how to cut down the description while specifying that if you die you'll lose everything they owned.

I could change it to "if nobody dies during the showdown, the survivor with LoS in their gear grid automatically dies, archive their gear and collect no resources from them", but that seems a bit much even for a cursed item.

As much of the primary stats as you can get via whatever means.

Great Weapon mastery.
Max Courage with Bitter Frenzy.
Max Understanding with Ageless (I guess) or the middle result.
Last Man Standing, Berserker, Abyssal Sadist

Equipment is as follows. I chose the sleeping virus flower because >brand

is perfect slayer in the base game?

>135mm base
>this thing is HUGE
has been a thing ever since the first KS

Overall I think you nailed it. Nice touch with the sleeping virus as the brand.

You bet it is.

Thanks! I needed something to fill in all the blue slots on the right hand side... and literally the only thing in the entire game that wasn't an armor piece or a weapon that filled the bill was the flower.

Really just a left-and-up-facing blue card would've been enough but I had a hard time finding even that.

Is there anything that could proxy for the hand cannon?

No idea. Replace the harness or darts with something suitable? And with affinities if at all possible.

Deathpact.

The gun from Manhunter.

Manhunter' pistol, but once a fight, not lifetime. User gets arm dismembered

One founding stone every showdown but arm dismembered would be perfect for the canon blast

Good, but wouldn't fit the grid. Maybe those rules but as a secret fighting art

Surge during a monster attack and activating this would be pretty perfect

>play first time
>party wiped by butcher

:(

Party doesn't matter, only settlement does.

how much was the black friday sale on KD's site for the expansions?

less than usual

Half off, pretty good

Good idea for promo gear, or rules for the messenger. Poots include please

oh that reminds me, how do you guys think Poots will release the Messenger rules? I'm in the process of buying the Guts mini off somebody right now. how will the rules be distributed? sounded like they'd come separate from the models

>hunt the Antelope next
>Lion kills it first
>party wiped by Level 2 Lion
:((((

Pretty good i got lonely tree and lion god for about 15 each.

anybody got a quick breakdown of which expansions are best to mix in for campaigns?

another thing, I've got a pretty good handle on the rules and have played solo up to LY6. Have friends coming over but not sure if they'd like it.

Would it be good to have them just jump into my year or would it be better to start a new campaign with them? Not sure if it would be a regular weekly board game night thing so would it even be worth it or would we be better off playing a on-off game session of zombicide black plague?

Is the game better to play solo or with a dedicated group?

Also any such groups in the GTA around the Toronto area?

Gameplay is better with a group, but you need a regular 3-4 people.

If your group isn't really up for that kind of commitment then it won't work, but I haven't ever had much trouble recruiting based on word of mouth and general descriptions.

As for first times? Base plus manhunter, lion knight, and lonely tree for a first time will work if you have them, and then swap out other bits piecemeal.

Some expansions work better with base monsters, like Lion God and Lion Knight, so be cognizant of that.

Start a new campaign and do the tutorial lion with them, it is the best intro to the game. Personally I include Manhunter, DBK, and sometimes Gorm/Fk. Lonely tree isnt worth it imo.

The game is more fun with people imo, the stories and characters that arise through the narrative is great.

Lonely Tree is baller for an Acanthus Doctor, turn all those +Str tokens into Luck tokens

I thought acanthus doc was in flower knight

Thanks to this picture I realized how much I like redheads.

Yeah, they can be fun, but then again I also have a thing for crazy chicks.

Nah they're all laughing at the pathetic humans spending so much money on a board game

Fat butt. And I don't mean THICC fat, I mean cellulite fat. 2/10 would not Intimacy Event with.

Also reinforced my love for butts.

ur a faget

I prefer my women to be more toned.

bump

Girl Guts is best girl

Anyone know if it'll be possible to buy the new Messenger rules without buying the models again?

Like is this what this means? I'm in the process of buying the MoH and I'm hoping I won't have to buy him again to get the rules. But I feel like it'd be weird for Poots to just throw a few fighting arts on the retail store

The messengers rules will probably be released as PDF, but we don't know for sure. No one knows for sure.

Yeah that kinda sucks. I hate proxies. I hope they're included in the base game or something. Would make sense if they'll be free anyway

Guts, Kamina, Ayla, AAAANNND........?

Again that's a really funny spelling of the honeycomb weaver

Linkle or a femme link from legend of zelda obviously.