Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

Food Edition:

Why are there so few food items that give mechanical benefits. Start posting ideas below for magic/non-magic meals that give bonuses!

Unified /pfg/ link repository: pastebin.com/hAfKSnWW

Avowed Playtest 1:
drive.google.com/open?id=0B5HkyGRtGZy3SWVhdWFBWERWWjg
Avowed Playtest 2: docs.google.com/document/d/1rV7kaF9JL2gw9xQalkEnlEDL9WXtbsaCqNABm_pLIgc/edit?usp=sharing
Malefex Playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/1W3LrE8WyIxxYRr8d9dHsWioeUk_-HZaSMqVWRnzc9Fc/edit?usp=sharing

Spheres of Might previews:
Part 1: docs.google.com/document/d/1aLaYQEFAWU4zQBx58boJPPaySLgJc0Emmw9eKyIJeGI/
Part 2: docs.google.com/document/d/1pyLq03W2ju58PcKOUq5YXoFowf_weBNzuWtjCMdINXk/edit

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk/archetypes/paizo---monk-archetypes/monk-of-the-empty-hand
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Profession: Cooking being able to cook some of the shit you kill to get THP. Like, X per CR.

It's silly, but Runescape's whole deal with "food heals you, potions are inefficient" is silly but fun. Let's replace the cure potion series with cheaper alternatives for martials:

Cure Light becomes a beef soup. Cure Moderate becomes a steak and potato plate. Cure Serious becomes a three course meal. Cure Critical is literally eating sharks. Heal would be represented by bacon. Etc., etc.

Also, Pizza could become multi-use buffs, i.e like wands, but with fewer charges and more potent effects.

I make all my Alchemists alcoholics for their mutagens/infusions.

This thread is off to a great start!

Will Spheres of Might be pushing daily resources onto martials or no?

>Start posting ideas below for magic/non-magic meals that give bonuses!

>Oats
>Bonus of +1 strength after vigorous squatting

>Protein Powder
>Bonus of +1 Strength
>Warning: DO NOT DO TWO SCOOPS

What is this image/post trying to represent?

One of these days I need to make a disciple of the Ordre des Repas Exotiques.

Why the hell is their discipline Steel Serpent anyway? There has to be a better culinary PoW discipline than that. Primal Fury, even.

How do you play a low Charisma character?

autism and lots of unlikeable personality tics

Look at sociopaths if you're an Int-focused character who will take the proper traits in order to be an adequate party face. Otherwise, think of everything you're "required" to do, socially. Say please, say thank you, say excuse me, say sorry. Then strip all of that down. An uncharismatic character can be one of two things: so uninteresting he's not even worthy of looking at, or so detached from normal mannerisms and sensibilities that he alienates others with his odd movements, strange gestures, and weird ways of speaking. That's how I'd do low-charisma characters.

The mechanical benefit of food is not dying, arguably one of the worst status effects to have.

>he doesn't do the Ioun Stone + Ring combo so he doesn't need to eat OR sleep

what kind of adventurer are you?

Nope, everything is either always on or activated by expending focus, which can be gotten back by burning a round or through other actions.

Some of the classes have some, but as a general rule no, especially in the spheres themselves.

I understand the Technician is still indev, but is there anything you can tell us about it aside from its general concept/theme?

I wish there was, I still need to look over it later. Once I finish final checks on LK 2, I'll give it a look and drop some details.

Rude and with little care for grooming, with no grace or bearing.

So what you're saying is... He has no style, he has no grace?

So what are the essential feats to get firearms to be at least semi-functional?

Point Blank
Deadly Aim
Precise Shot
Rapid Reload

These four seem like the front runners.

However at level 7 with VMC I only have 2 feats. I can knock out another one of these with a vigilante talent, but I'm still missing at least one.

How should I remedy this?

Drop rapid reload and for now just carry more guns? The guns cost 5% of normal value.

Last thread got me thinking, and somebody really needs to stat Draphs so I can shamelessly steal Granblue characters for my apps to /pfg/ games.

Sweet. Has my interest then. Didn't mean to sound hostile, just the main thing I look at harshly in fix attempts is when people try to simply copy overtop with a more successful mechanic and refluff it.

Not a food item but I had a magic mug I put in a campaign I ran. It would fill itself up with hot tea or iced water on command, at-will. But the particular mug I gave to the PCs was cursed such that the mug would always fill with whichever drink the activator desired less.

>Fucking animu meat
There are so many things about that picture which triggers me as an artist.

An oft-repeated statement my friends hear from me is, "Death is the best cure for status conditions." This isn't said of Pathfinder so much as of games in general (IIRC I first said it when playing Persona 3).

Hey not every adventurer pops out of their mothers womb with tiny magical comets orbiting their head. For a couple levels atleast they still need to eat and sleep like the non-adventuring peasant class.

Which one removes the need to sleep?

It is entirely possible for them to have funny faces, yes.

So let's see, he'll need to learn long arm to stretch his arms out just for you, and...what else? Levitate or air walk to inflate himself just like a bal-loon?

Drop the VMC and become a human.

Honestly Point-Blank and Precise are only there as prerequisites. Firearms especially past level 4-5 are hitting against a low enough AC that the -4 will become quite inconsequential.

You need more images. Always seein' the same 5-10 out of ya.

Don't forget he's either a Vanara (CHA penalty monkeys) or an Orang-Pendak (tiny orangutan sasquatches), and that either way he digs the Bard's tunes and is most likely seen as insane by some.

If y'all won't post punch girls, you're gonna learn to deal with it.

I've given you a punch girl already! But have another!

Why not just fluff them as aasimar or tieflings or something? Do you really need precise numbers for your wank fantasy?

Does this count?

>"food heals you, potions are inefficient"
I don't like the idea of bookkeeping for it, but I like the idea that food is high return but slow and potions are low return but instant.

trail rations at a "short rest"(or whatever) heals for 1/4 hp, sleeping in a nice bed with a nice meal grants full HP and a temporary stat buff.

>I eat another portion to get temporary HP
>"Roll a fortitude check"
>"You try to cram another bowl of stew down your gullet but honestly, you can't eat anymore. Roll a second fortitude check."
>"You throw up all over your tunic. Jerry, you still need to mark an extra beef stew use off the pot."

No, but now I know what to do with the White-Haired Witch archetype that isn't just "have a moustache/beard".

best punchgirl incoming

Why are Slayers considered better than Swashbucklers?

Because a Slayer is actually functional.

sounds like you wanna play ryuutama.

I only have Rare Deltas.

God bless you all.

No problem!

why is there so little good art of Farah? oh right it's because I'm basically the only one who liked tales of eternia

A substantial amount of Swashbuckler's class features are actually just low-quality attempts to make up for gaps in the fundamental system, like one-handed finesee weapons sucking, everyone being better off with armor, Charisma doing little to nothing for anyone, etc.

In contrast, the basic playstyle of the stalker is much more functional using the base system, and its class features build on top of that.

More of a Barbarian than a punch girl, but a starting point for my Striker.

On a Spheres of Might matter, how good are the Spheres for taking on things like Swarms? Because seriously, fuck that entire subtype. My GM has a goddamn fetish for throwing them out if he sees everyone's got nice weapons.

What do you do to get ideas for characters?

Dick around

What would you recommend for a sneaky sort of character?

Think about characters that I like, and try to translate them into Pathfinder.
OR
Think about a build I want to try and make up a backstory and personality that makes sense for them and has some decent hooks for the GM to exploit.

Usually I'll start with a bit of an idea (I want to play race x or class y or social class z) and expand it outward into the game premise (why would an x, y, or z be traveling with the party, what do they expect to gain, what drives them) and just follow a train of conclusions until I settle on a backstory that makes sense.

Also I listen to a lot of music.

What are your synthesist summoners like?

The Slayer has a pretty big advantage on a number of fronts.

One, the Slayer can use medium armor and shields, and besides the ranger is the best sword and board 1pp class in the game, so in AC it will often be easier to keep defenses up than the light armor+dex+nimble swash.

The swash has two bad saves, and worse his only good reflex save is reflex, so he's vulnerable to both save-vs-instant-death fort effects and the mind-woogie every martial dreads where the GM not only takes you out of the fight with one d20 roll, they get to make you look like a fucking idiot while they do so. To counter this, the swashbuckler must use CHARMED LIFE, a limited resource that puts him on a shorter clock than most casters despite being an all-day class, AND is anti-synergistic with every other swashbuckler class feature. Slayers just need to pump wisdom and take some will-protectors, they've got good fort.

Slayers have more skills than swashbucklers and can with a little work be very capable skill monkeys. Swashbucklers do acrobatics and face, but Slayers can do both with a little tweaking, along with scout, trap-bust, and explore/track.

Swashbucklers are married to rapiers and their default fighting style has feat taxes to work like it's supposed to. Slayers can use any kind of weapon they want, and with Ranger Fighting Styles, can get almost fighter-level bonus feats while skipping onerous feat or stat taxes.

Swashbucklers need to manage swift actions very carefully to use their class features, and CHARMED LIFE makes this more difficult. Slayers just need to set Studied Target and go to town.

Vigilante. U Rogue. Shadow Bloodline Sorcerer. WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY SNEAKY!?

Not for my wank fantasy, but I want my recreations of my favorite characters to be as faithful as possible.

>Why are there so few food items that give mechanical benefits
Because as soon as a player finds one they like, it's too easy to have it "always on".

Usually a ripoff of Monster Hunter monsters.

They're just titty halflings with horns.

Slayers can represent a broader range of character concepts, such as ones that are actually effective at a damage-dealing combat job, in a way that doesn't cost resources and isn't as MAD.

Neither class is inherently much more effective than baseline at noncombat things, but Slayer has 6 + Int skill points, features for a tracking specialty, and a talent every two levels among which all combat feats (some of which are prereq-free due to Ranger combat styles) and a bunch of Rogue talents are included. I'm not sure if anyone else gets to actually know enemies' exact remaining hit points, either, which is a minor unique perk. Swashbucklers' noncombat feature is a nonscaling improvement at jumping and climbing shit, at the cost of the resources it needs to have available to make its combat style less bad. Everything else is on making the rigid ass combat style less bad.

Is Major Creation a useful spell? What have you used it for in your game?

But what breed of halfling, you ape?
What alternate racial traits, what ability modifiers, what FCBs?
I need to know all these things

Lots of ways.
>How do I make a contradiction make sense?
Some two things that don't fit intuitively, craft a backstory and mechanical effects to blend then together.
>Cosplay
This one is pretty obvious.
>building outward
The classic "wow I never knew about that feat, let's build something around that to use it".
>Hyperfocus
"I have the best ____", I think I had a character with 52AC and level 2 before, that was fun. Things like that.
>Decision tree
Crap I died > What does the party need > what does that decently well? > Which is furthest from what I usually do? > How can this fit into the campaign? > Done.

Is there any kingdom/nation that have eunuchs?

Any one that has rapists and Paladins to catch them yeah

I don't mind it, so long I can play court games. Indeed, I was thinking of a character who did it to himself to escape gambling debts.

And when the man's a woman's victim?
What do they cut off then?

The clitoris?
The tits?

Female archers should amputate one of their breasts with a red hot sword.

They sew it up.

Qadira, or whatever that new city is that is so fucking rich only because WOMYN ARE THE DOMINANT GENDER YO. .

What's the name of that magic item that's basically the ear pieces that secret agents would use to talk to each other? It came from one of the campaign setting guides I think, Taldor or Andoran IIRC.

Gonna be putting my players in a position where their usual weapons and spell components aren't with them. What are some common improvised weapons a household might have in a fantasy setting?

I thought it was because they're sitting on one of the biggest gold veins on the planet and have close trade relationships with Druma AND Katapesh?

Dragon dildos

What spell/item could my BBEG use to contact the PCs so the two can introduce themselves to each other? Not just a short 25 word message or something where the BBEG can talk but the PCs can't answer. Something that enables a lengthy conversation. Do I just need to create "Greater Sending" or something?

peasants

how about no? improvised weapons are shit unless with the necessary feats for them, and only wizards have to worry about spell components.

Carpentry hammer, duh

Illusion or Project Image spell

let the players talk to the BBEG through a portrait, or statue of his likeness

Letter opener, hell everyone has a knife in a house

Apples! Very small rocks! A duck!

A portrait is actually what I was originally planning on doing, I just wanted to know if there was something in the game that already served this purpose.

Project Image.

d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk/archetypes/paizo---monk-archetypes/monk-of-the-empty-hand

Monks are Fun. FUN!

I'll be honest, I looked it over really quickly and I do. I really do.

At the very least, I want to read some play reports.

>monks

oh boy, absolutely ONE situation where they're useful for something other than bait.

>talks about monks
>posts a card-caster / staff adept magus

That's easy user! They're the strongest class in the game at Level one. Maybe at Level two if your party doesn't know what they're doing

Shh, user isn't gonna listen to reason when he can hate women instead.

in b4 'I don't hate women, I just don't think matriarchies should exist'

Card Caster Staff Magus is actually a really decent build and works well together.

I just really hate how you lose out on medium armor proficiency because at around 8th level, that mithral shirt just doesn't cut it anymore.

the last time I played it was cute and fluffy

>Monk
>not Barbarian
Nice try.

What do Barbarian?

What sort of cleric is the strongest?

The one that stays back and keeps his mouth shut. While holding everything together by himself quietly.