pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

> 5etools
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!XU4Rgb4S!6N0rvBs3pSlftxx_-g5DkTAwWmtyWxSwfB9ppWJPSrk
homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/SJ7-FoKwl
dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/my-new-d20-modern-campaign
homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/SJrTD0FPl
dmsguild.com/product/203765/Zakharan-Bestiary--Monsters-of-AlQadim?src=newest_in_dmg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

300 Ravenloft monsters for any horror game.

mega.nz/#!XU4Rgb4S!6N0rvBs3pSlftxx_-g5DkTAwWmtyWxSwfB9ppWJPSrk

Is there any homebrew that expands on the Modern Magic UA?

Just posted this into the dying thread, like a faggot.

In short...

One of my players is gonna be playing an assassin in our upcoming game, and we both want to play around with poison and the poisoner's kit, so I tossed this together as an rough sketch.

I want poisons to be available to him but don't want them to become trivial or overused. I also don't want them to be impractically expensive or time-consuming to prepare (so the standard crafting rules had to go... 20 days and 100 gp to make a basic poison that sells for... 100 gp).

homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/SJ7-FoKwl

Anyone care to give me feedback on this? I've tried to balance the Incite rage around one use per creature per long rest, but it still feels a bit much. Thoughts?

Those intelligence check DCs are probably somewhat high unless you want him to be blowing stacks of gold failing to brew potions, or he's fairly high level.

>Decide to run a one-off session with a group of friends
>Characters are goofy but not outrageous: Monk pro wrestler, Bard as his promoter, Kenku rogue, Human dual-weilding shields
>Last friend comes up, notorious for playing pathfinder forever, pitches his idea
"Hey it says here that Air Genasi can hold their breath forever. Can I hide in a bag of holding then?"
>After a while, he becomes "The bag of holding, with a gun"

I have a good feeling about this one-off session

Goddamn hopefully, senpai. There's a page on the Wizards site about firearms proficiency and modern world armor:

dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/my-new-d20-modern-campaign

Hmmm. I think make it target allies only. Simplifies things a bit. Other than that, I have a gut feeling that Bardic Inspiration number of uses is a bit much. Might want to scale down the effect somewhat.

Or make it a once per est use area effect. That would be neat too.

Would be nice if they had archetypes for the Modern Magic UA. That and I want Necromancy spells for it as well.

Yeah. That's definitely one of the things I'm most unsure about. I'm not sure yet how much to scale them back, though. My other thought was much lower DCs (like 3 or 4 lower than currently) but change the number of doses created to 1 + 1 for every 5 over the DC.

sup Veeky Forums I need some advice

i'm running a oneshoot for my group tomorrow while our DM is on a break for a few weeks. i've got the general idea of my adventure and i've been DMing games of my own for several years now, but I've never specifically run a one-shot before so I don't really know how to pace it or anything

is there some kind of guide or framework I should follow? advice appreciated

There's Modernmagic5 or something like that.

Really cool, although I feel if you fail a DC you should only get one dose. I also have one to add if you want it:

Black Blood (Ingested). This poison is made from the ashes of a dead vampire. A creature subjected to this poison must make a DC 18 Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, for the next 8 hours when the creature comes into direct contact with sunlight is takes 14 (4d6) fire damage.

Goblins as some sort of fungal unseelie fey counterpart to flowery, seelie Gnomes.

Neat? Dumb?

How do I do an anthro animal campaign right? I've fallen in love with the game Armello but I know if I slip up once and add in a whore or something people will start screaming furfag at me.

Stop caring what other people think. Also only run it if all the players are for sure on board.

I like it, but I'd ditch the fungal/flowery theme and make them both earthy creatures.

You don't. Plain and simple.

They seem to be alright with it. Also should I just reskin all races or wait and hear what people want to play and make stats for it.

Reskinning is the easiest and most balanced way.

Fuck off to /pfg/.

Unless you're playing with /5eg/ you should probably be fine.

We're extremely paranoid about being a furry here, for whatever fucking reason. Despite what it may seem, your average person doesn't even register anthro animals as anything worse than a disney cartoon.

I figured since I prefer my Gnomes to be colorful it'd be a decent way to explain the relation, but that works just as well.

I mean Gobbos are faeries in actual mythos anyway, now that I think about it.

Future first time DM. Don't worry I've already asked oodles of questions and lurked for basic questions.

How do you pronounce Genasi?

Also, where can I read more about the Outer Planes ans stuff like the Cities of Brass in the fire plane?

Speaking of homebrew, I made a thing. Balance/fluff feedback appreciated.

>not embracing the animality of anthro races
>not playing a curious, agile tabaxi
>not playing an ingenious, mimicking kenku
>not playing a valiant but birdbrained aarakocra
>not playing an unfeeling lizardfolk that loves bugs and laying in the sun
People here don't know how to live.

Play Ironclaw 2e

I like to structure mine as a 3-act play

At least 1 but no more than 2 exploration or interaction
At leat 1 but no more than 2 combat
0-1 Chase or other skill contest
0-2 Puzzles, can be done during fights/exploration

And that's pretty much it, spice up to taste

To go along with the early homebrew posts, here's one of a port of the Swordsage class from 3.5 turned into an archetype for the Monk in 5e. Balance feedback appreciated.

Building an antimage warlock and I was planning on picking up the mage slayer feat and going pact of tome with shillelagh, shocking grasp, and guidance. That way I can eldritch blast fighters and barbarians from a safe distance and go into melee for wizards and fuck their day up. It's all based around the idea of a warlock who was a wizard's apprentice, but succumbed to the dark-side and now seeks to kill wizards and steal their rituals. How viable does this plan seem? Does it look like it will at least be fun to play?

You pronounce it Genasi.

But seriously, say it however you want.

Be sure to have Booming Blade if you insist on going into melee against casters.

Ghen Ah See

Depends on how many spellcasters your DM throws at you.

You can also play it as a sort of 'corporate espionage/hacker' sort of thing. Instead of outright murdering them you ruin their careers by selling their rituals to the highest bidder.

>when your DM cancels an ongoing campaign that you and several others were enjoying

it was fun while it lasted

T-thanks
Yeehaw, I'm glad I'm right

>what the hell kind of defenses would a Divination Wizard come up with?
Divination especifically? Hm... maybe some trap or effect coupled with Detect Magic, so it triggers when a certain kind of magic is cast or brought near it. A bunch of Arcane Eyes permanently cast in certain rooms as a security camera system.

Also, Guards and Wards! Not a divination spell, but such a cool one.

>Ghen Ah See

Drat. Not who you replied to, but I always see it as "Jen Ah See" because there's a place near by called Genesee, and that's essentially how it's pronounced.
Life is suffering.

So there's this legendary sentient sword that does extra necrotic damage on a hit. I want to add a downside: if the sword hits a creature immune to necrotic, the wielder takes the damage instead, and the creature regains the same number of HP. The idea is that when this sword hits, it has to harvest/eat some life energy to itself.

What's a good name for this feature? What I have now is "Unavoidable Hunger", but it sounds kinda lame.

Why not make it occur more often like just any Undead creatures? It's pretty rare for something to be straight up immune to Necrotic.

Could tickle somebody's reference bone by calling it "Equivalent Exchange"

Because they already fought some undead creatures with it and nothing happened, since I hadn't thought of it yet. And they're about to go through a dungeon filled with necrotic immunes, too, so I want to see how he'll deal with with a drawback on the weapon that he now relies on. Equivalent Exchange sounds cool, if it were related to constructs or mechanical stuff, but I want something more creepy sounding.

>Quick to Act
Swashbucklers get CHA to Initiative at 3rd, just make this WIS to Initiative.

>Sense Magic
Since this and Quick to Act are ribbons, roll them into one feature

>Weapon Focus
Expertise with a weapon? No. You already have proficiency, this is overkill. The flat damage buff is also just boring. Change this to work better with the main feature. Something like, Signature Technique: Reduce the ki cost of one technique you know by 1.

>Weapon and Body
Again, overkill. You regain ki on a short rest already, this gives you infinite Ki. If you want to keep this make it something like 4 ki back on a critical hit, otherwise change it.

>Burning Blade
Doesn't need to have such high level limitations if you are spending more resources to get a better effect. Drop it a bit.

>Feigned Opening
So you spend Ki... to get hit? Also reactions usually have a trigger, this doesn't, It should.

>Spider Dance
As spider climb is a second level spell, I feel this should cost at least 2.

Cont.

Sounds familiar. Does anyone remember a weapon like this in the DMG? Away from books right now, but I think it was cursed too

That's one of the features of Blackrazor, though IIRC the backlash is if you hit an Undead, not something with necrotic resistance.

Oh. Well you could call it something razor related then, like life shaver.

The weapon I'm talking about is Hazirawn, from Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but I did stole the backlash idea from Blackrazor.

So I have been developing a pair of Dual Rapiers for my party's Assassin. They both require separate attunements what do you guys think?

Distract (Requires Attunement)
+1 Rapier
1d8+1
1d4 Force Damage

As long as the wielder is attuned to Distract they learn the cantrip Booming Blade. During the wielder's turn, a creature attacked by Distract cannot make opportunity attacks against the wielder for the rest of the wielders turn. If a creature is critically hit by Distract they must make a DC:18 Wisdom Saving throw or be deafened for 1 minute.

Deceit (Requires Attunement)
+1 Rapier
1d8+1
1d4 Fire Damage

The attuned wielder learns the cantrip Green Flame Blade. When a creature that is hit by Deceit would deal sneak attack damage you deal additonal 2d6 points of sneak attack damage.Whenever a creature is critically hit by Deceit, they must make a DC 18 Constitution saving throw or be poisoned for 1 minute.

Distract and Deceit

Special Ability: Completion
These weapons are a pair and work best when used together. While dual wielding each weapon becomes a +2 weapon, you can use your ability score modifier on the second attack, and the additional fire and force damage increase to 1d6.

Certainly robust. Mostly depends on what level the character is and whether or not he's getting them at the same time.

Certainly a legendary tier item according to DMG, but when it comes to anything custom made just keep it in mind when designing challenges for them/him.

They might be around level 10 when they get it. I'm running high magic campaign as I had shifted over from Pathfinder. They will get Distract first and have to get Deceit through some rough combat with undead elves and the like.

The save DCs look pretty high. Proccing on a crit will work well with the assassin toolkit, but having to make a high save AFTER getting hit with an absurd amount of dice is just too steep in my opinion. Drop the DC to like a 14. It still punishes a bad roll but doesn't make it something that he'll never see.

Okay! I agree with the DC being a little high. DC:14 sounds reasonable.

>Lightning Slash
So this is kinda like a clerics divine strike, except you spend rescources to do it. I feel like these bonus damage techniques should cost a bonus action to prevent players exploding damage onto people with flurry of blows.

>Bonecrusher
This just seems underwhelming, and is boring, remove it unless it does something new. Why the fuck would anyone take this when Overwhelming Mountain Strike is just better at the same cost? Getting it earlier doesn't matter.

>Sonic Boom
This I like, but it costs way more and deals less than your other damaging techniques. Remember this eats the entire attack action (as you've written it), no second attack. The damage should reflect that, taking the utility into account.

>Broken Shield Strike
So coupled with extra attack this is just 'gain advantage on your second attack if the first hits?' Feels weird. Sure you could help a ally, but this is how its going to go most of the time.

>Radiant Heat
Way too good for 2 ki. This can deal (20d6 x 8) damage if you are surrounded for a minute. Look to the Storm Herald Barbarian UA for damage aura effects.

>Dragon's Flame
Should cost more. Also when do you do this? Is it an action? a Bonus action?

>Blade Flurry
The problem with a lot of these is that you just state 'spend ki.' It should be 'as a bonus action, spend X ki points' or something like that. Blade flurry should cost your action.

>Fool's Strike
Way too good, but as it is costly and comes late I think its fine.

>The Rest
You should look at what spells or features are avaliable to other classes to base your balancing off. Moments in time is kinda weak for this reason, while Kuzuryusen is fucking stupid as fuck, what the hell 9 attacks? With bonus damage? 4 Ki? Whats to stop a monk doing this 4 times, ending the combat and short resting to do it again? A lot of this needs a second look.

Great, Really powerful, Apart from the fact that rapiers aren't light weapons so you couldn't use two-weapon fighting with them. An easy fix though. When duel wielded they count as light weapons.

The Assassin has the Dual Wielder feat. Do you think it's too strong by any chance? Do they cover too much or make anything pointless?

Reading through it I think the bonus force/fire damage is also pretty insane given that this is something you're giving to them at level 10. These are all cool bonuses but putting them all together really adds up:

It's two +1 weapons (become +2), they deal a bonus d4 elemental damage (becomes bonus d6), they give two free cantrips, two on-hit bonuses, AND they force a save on crits (player choice based on situation). This guy will be nuking your encounters left and right.

This is an item I'd give to a player at like level 17-19 (maybe make them +3) in a high magic campaign.

These swords would probably last them the rest of the campaign. If not, you have to think about what the NEXT two weapons you're gonna give to him are, and they have to be even more ridiculous.

How overpowered is "ignore exhaustion once a day" as a racial ability for a homebrew race? I can think of liek two things that actually cause exhaustion.

I really hope the Mystic comes out after the Wizard UA.

It makes Berserker Barbs able to use Frenzy once per long rest without cost. I'd say that's fairly strong.

Fixing Bladelocks.

Your pact weapon draws from your patron, and more importantly, your own body and soul. Attacks made with your Warlock Pact weapon may use your Constitution in place of their usual stat to hit and damage.

There, Bladelocks are now playable becuse they are not so incredibly MAD, you need Charisma for spells, and Constitution for the odd melee strike, which in turn improves your health.

>ignore exhaustion once a day
For how long?

that's pretty powerful.

Exhaustion is mostly up to the DM, but even the first level of exhaustion (disadv on all skill checks) can be devastating in certain circumstances. That racial would allow players to just ignore exhaustion mechanics unless something causes multiple levels of exhaustion at once.

>Wot4E monks can't even convert their unarmed strikes to elemental damage

Dumb as shit.

My suggestion would be to drop the save DC to 15 and make both target Constitution, and also possibly drop the extra force/fire damage as well. Instead, you could give them some other feature that synergizes with Two Weapon Fighting and the cantrips. Consider this:

>Distract
+1 rapier, you learn Booming Blade and can cast it only through this weapon. If you attack a creature with Distract as part of your action, that creature can't make opportunity attacks against you for the rest of your turn. If a creature is critically hit by Distract they must make a DC 15 Constitution saving throw or be deafened for 1 minute.

>Deceit
+1 rapier, you learn Green Flame Blade and can cast it only through this weapon. If you attack a creature with Deceit as part of your action, and that attack would deal sneak attack damage, you can roll an extra 2d6 and add it to the sneak attack. Whenever a creature is critically hit by Deceit, they must make a DC 15 Constitution saving throw or be poisoned for 1 minute.

>Distract and Deceit, legendary pair of rapiers
Completion
These weapons are a pair and work best when used together. While dual wielding, each weapon becomes a +2 rapier, you can add your ability score modifier on the off-hand attack, and if you use your action to cast one of the cantrips, you can use your bonus action to make an off-hand attack

Okay, this is what I was worried about. Would you recommend making some of the features appear as time develops in the campaign, like an awakening mechanic? Like I could drop the extra elemental damage and make them not plus 2 weapons and when he does something special the weapons will increase in power? What would you reccomend I remove and add in later?

That's a great feature if a bit circumstantial.
And it also makes Frenzy barbarians finally usefull.

I've never even heard of a player playing a Berserker Barb because of the exhaustion rider to be honest

I hadn't fleshed it out much but that was the initial idea. Essentially the race is known for their supernatural endurance, which makes them excellent laborers

Maybe something like advantage to resist exhaustion? Or something different? I'm open to ideas, really.

Any comments/criticism, Veeky Forums?

Posted it in the last thread, but didn't get much response.

I like this, it makes it so he has to choose between either no AOO or Extra Sneak attack damage. Do you think this is too strong for a level 10 character? Could adding in the extra force/fire damage later be a good idea?

>but didn't get much response.
For good reasons.

Count the exhaustion tree as one point less than normal.

So they gain exhaustion normally, but 1 point of Exhaustion means nothing to them. 2 points is equivalent to 1 for another race, etc.

Still powerful but it doesn't make you nearly immune to exhaustion.

Weapons that "level up" with the player are really cool for them, and it helps them build a connection to a certain set of equipment rather than just tossing out their old set in favor of the new shiny toy.

That said, has some good ideas. I'm personally in favor of making items weaker to be on the safe side. If you make a magic item too strong, you might have to take it away from the player (bad), but if you make it a little too weak, you can just beef it up a bit, like the sword awakening (good).

As for specifics, I'd keep the +1, keep the on-hit effects, and keep the crit forced saved.

as he levels you can buff it to +2 and potentially add in other effects. Remember, some of the most powerful features of these wapons are the fact that they give the player a lot of choices. In some cases that could be more valuable than another +1 here or there

Ah, great idea. Thanks

How about: Regain 1 level of exhaustion on short rest, one use per long rest.

But...monk.

Homebrewing a Psionic Origin for Sorcerers, and now I'm stuck thinking of an 18th level ability.

1st level you have Advantage on Charisma checks against aberrations and you get some bonus spells (mostly from wizard list that feel psionic).

6th level you gain resistance to force damage and cause psychic damage to enemies within 10ft whenever you use Sorcery Points to apply Metamagic, as well as the ability to spend 1 SP to cast Detect Thoughts (no concentration, but you can't see deeper than surface thoughts.)

14th level you're immune to charm and fear and your mind cannot be read. Allies within 10ft get advantage against charm and fear.

Cannot for the life of me figure out that 18th level ability. Anyone have some ideas?

>Anyone have some ideas?
Spend some SP to change the damage of any spell to Force damage

Basically a big "fuck you" to immunities and resists. because mind powers

?

How come there is no longer a dungeon master's guild mega?

Because Meganon's old Mega account got a copyright takedown, and honestly not enough people gave a shit about the DMSG mega.

Congratulations on creating a 3 level dip for monks who don't want to bother with Wis for stunns and AC.

This gets asked about once every other day.

Short version IIRC
>Megaanon got b&
>only had main trove backed up
>nobody used guild stuff anyway so didnt bother remaking

Honestly, there's no need for extra fire/force damage because he'll already be doing extra fire/thunder damage with Booming Blade and Green Flame Blade. It's CERTAINLY a very strong item, but I as DM enjoy having a powerful party and giving them cool toys, as long as they work for it. These rapiers must by all means be really hard to acquire, and should not be found together.

To make them a little more appropriate to their names, you could change the things they do on a critical hit. For example, Distract could be DC 15 Wisdom (or Constitution) saving throw or the creature has disadvantage on Perception checks for 1 minute; Deceit could be DC 15 Wisdom saving throw or the creature is charmed by the wielder until the end of the creature's next turn or until it takes damage.

Monk is more Everyone-Is-Kung-Fu-Fighting. I want this one to be Ring-Of-Honor-Fistfighter.

It's a bit like the relationship between paladin and cleric. One's more martial, one's more spiritual, even though they do similar things.

Thank you, all this is some great feedback! How does this sound?

>Distract
+1 rapier, If you attack a creature with Distract as part of your action, that creature can't make opportunity attacks against you for the rest of your turn. If a creature is critically hit by Distract they must make a DC 14 Constitution saving throw or be deafened for 1 minute.

>Deceit
+1 rapier, If you attack a creature with Deceit as part of your action, and that attack would deal sneak attack damage, you can roll an extra 2d6 and add it to the sneak attack. Whenever a creature is critically hit by Deceit, they must make a DC 14 Constitution saving throw or be poisoned for 1 minute.
Distract and Deceit, Legendary Paired Rapiers

These weapons are a pair and work best when used together. While dual wielding, you can add your ability score modifier on the off-hand attack.

>Distract (Awakened)
+1 rapier, you learn Booming Blade and can cast it only through this weapon. If you attack a creature with Distract as part of your action, that creature can't make opportunity attacks against you for the rest of your turn. If a creature is critically hit by Distract they must make a DC 15 Constitution saving throw or be deafened for 1 minute.

>Deceit (Awakened)
+1 rapier, you learn Green Flame Blade and can cast it only through this weapon. If you attack a creature with Deceit as part of your action, and that attack would deal sneak attack damage, you can roll an extra 2d6 and add it to the sneak attack. Whenever a creature is critically hit by Deceit, they must make a DC 15 Constitution saving throw or be poisoned for 1 minute.

>Distract and Deceit
While dual wielding, each weapon becomes a +2 rapier, you can add your ability score modifier on the off-hand attack, and if you use your action to cast one of the cantrips, you can use your bonus action to make an off-hand attack.

Take a page from The Questing Beast and use the anthropomorphic animals as symbolism for the characters. The dwarf that acts like a boar would look like a boar, the fighter who is as strong as an ox would be an ox, that sneaky halfling thief becomes a raccoon, and so on.

A fighting style granting a 1d4+str on unarmed strikes and maybe some bonus action stuff is enough to do that.

Why put yourself through this?

Also wouldn't bags of holding trap air too? Like just open the bag mouth every 15 to 30 mins.

Skald guy from before, which of these reads better? Trying to find a way to write out this feature that isn't overwhelming.

homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/SJrTD0FPl

Thoughts?

I can't recall the sage advice, but I believe this is more or less true for most creatures, although I think it's most creatures can survive up to 10 minutes.

Do you happen to have the Al-Qadem bestiary made by the same guy?

dmsguild.com/product/203765/Zakharan-Bestiary--Monsters-of-AlQadim?src=newest_in_dmg

>people will start screaming furfag at me.
shit playgroup

At the cost of delaying ASIs and Extra Attack? Sounds like a real bad call.

I'm fully aware of what I've allowed

-Air Genasi can hold their breath forever, so they don't need that air. They can live in the vaccuum of the BoH
-He made it an arcane trickster, so inbetween mage hand and unseen servant he has mobility
-He intends to have the bag on the barbarian most of the time, so he's just acting as a mobile turret

There are *many* rules that disallow this, but its a one-off so I'm a lot less strict.

All he said to me is "hey can I be a rogue posing as a sentient bag?" and I just couldn't say no. I'm glad about the result.

Best race for warlocks?

half-elf

What rules are these which disallow this?

If anyone's playing a female dragonborn, what did you name it? I'm trying to come up with names but don't really have anything. She's a cleric, if it helps.

For what it's worth, I found your story hilarious and can't wait for my group to find a bag of holding, only to be shot in the face by a thunder cannon

Sounds good like this. I still strongly suggest they should be found in two different locations.

What are your thoughts on the options I gave for critical hits? Distract giving disadvantage to Perception checks so the rogue can hide better instead of deafening, and Deceit momentarily charming the creature, so they won't attack the rogue or his friends instead of poisoning?

>The party's warlock clearly murdered the guy
>He somehow managed to frame the bard perfectly
>Bard is now wanted for murder
>Warlock is willing to defend him "for a price"
Warlocks should never be trusted.

The primary rule: Bag of holding requires a sentient person to imagine what's being drawn from the bag in order to withdraw from it according to the DMG. It is not just an acme hole in a bag. This would normally prevent casual exiting of the bag or goofy shit, such as say a gun appearing out of it to shoot.

While this isn't a rule that directly prevents it, damaging a bag of holding would result in its contents being dispersed into the astral plane, which would include him. I downplayed it to say you'll take extra force damage and be dumped out of the bag for that instance.

And naturally, the 3rd rule is the one you brought up about limited air sources. He technically got around that, but if it was a serious game I'd be very strict about that and say holding the breath becomes very uncomfortable over time and deck him with exhaustion each day he maintains this schtick.

Thanks for finding the image I was looking for.

Amusingly, he planned to do this: If anyone opens the bag, mage hand will slap their wrist first and he'll say "Don't open me." If they try again, the musket barrel comes out and he says "Must I warn you again?"