/swg/ - Star Wars General - Flipping Destiny Edition

Previous Thread: Fantasy Flight Games’ X-Wing and Star Wars: Armada Miniatures Games
>pastebin.com/Wca6HvBB

Fantasy Flight Games’ Star Wars RPG System (EotE/AoR/FaD)
>pastebin.com/wCRBdus6
>mega.nz/#!DkNTDTyZ!PUupCOep4RmRcsgI3rNhU_Pk_xcyFbYWnhrq8gwrVv0

Other Fantasy Flight Games Star Wars Tabletop (Imperial Assault, Star Wars: Destiny and the Star Wars LCG)
>pastebin.com/ZE4gn0yN

Fantasy Flight Games Dice App (Works with X-Wing, Armada, the Star Wars RPG system and Imperial Assault)
>mediafire.com/download/64xy3uy6vepll8v/com.fantasyflightgames.swdice.ver.1.1.4.build.9.apk

Older Star Wars Tabletop (d6, d20/Saga, etc.)
>pastebin.com/wXP0LdyJ

Reference Materials & Misc. Resources
>pastebin.com/AGFFkSin

All Canon Novels and Comics (via /co/)
>mega.co.nz/#F!2R5kDTqQ!WfrDla-jvDIn05U57T9hhQ

Just What IS Canon Anyways?
>starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Canon#2014_reboot
>starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_canon_media

The Clone Wars Viewing Guide
>img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1442/36/1442364889994.png

Writefaggotry
>pastebin.com/cJY5FK9T

Shipfag's hangar
>drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByhAdnTlOKOeQnA4SFByUC1aQWM&usp=sharing

HoTAC
>dockingbay416.com/campaign

DUDE INVADING TARIS LMAO

Since symbols do not cancel when crafting, how would you resolve the Gambler's Double or Nothing trait?

I think symbols do still cancel when Crafting - this is how it's not completely broken you have to have the right talents and be really good to pile on all that Adv.

I've heard that as a houserule before though. It's just gonna be quirky as fuck.

Remind me what Double or Nothing does?

As a GM, I would say that Double or Nothing doesn't work with crafting.

Alternatively; setbacks are also doubled. Why? Because it'd be funny. It'll be the most tricked out yet also terrible crafted item ever.

Doubles the number of advantage, after canceling, on any roll.

Double or Nothing means that the user can increase the difficulty of a check by one, but double the remaining advantages on the roll after cancelling opposing symbols.

Having re-read the Special Mods rules for crafting, you do not cancel opposing symbols on crafting checks (which means I've been doing it wrong in my game, oh dear).

>the most tricked out yet also terrible crafted item ever
Sienar R&D in a nutshell.

Yeah. Risky gambling and crafting don't work well together.

It can also be upgraded to double successes and eventually triumphs and despairs after cancellation.

Oh my - yeah, I also did that wrong. Is it that way in Keeping the Peace?

I'd say there's two ways you can do it, and the GM should figure it out with a player. Either it does nothing because there's no cancellation (a very technical response) or it doubles all - which is the option you go with if you just want stuff to be crazy.

>Is it that way in Keeping the Peace?
Yes, crafting works the same way all the time except how it deals with materials after a failure. Armor and weapon crafting failures result in the loss of the materials, droid crafting does not.

I must apologise; having re-re-read the Special Mods rules (and having had a shower), it doesn't say if you do or do not cancel down opposing icons on the crafting check.

If crafting was to be an exception to the usual roll>cancel opposing symbols>end result standard, it would imagine they would have made it very clear that that was the case.

Which means, in answer to the initial question; Double or Nothing would work as usual, as advantages would have been reduced by any disadvantages rolled.

It also means I've not been doing it wrong, which is a mild relief.

>it doesn't say if you do or do not cancel down opposing icons on the crafting check.
It doesn't EXPLICITLY say that, but it's highly suggested by the "First do advantage and triumph, THEN do despair and threat."
It also makes a lot more sense, in my opinion, so you could have a very good creation with a slight defect, like a bad personality on an otherwise stellar droid.

That's actually the way all checks are supposed to resolve, the active party resolves any showing triumph or advantage, then the GM figures out what to do with any showing Threat or Despair.

Yeah, I suppose. My way seems more fun, though.

Looking in the core rulebook, you are not correct.

You work out success/failure, and then work out if any advantages or disadvantages are left over after they are cancelled down.

I am in two minds over this. On the one hand, I do agree it would allow for that marvellous droid with a bad attitude.

On the other, if that is how it is supposed to work, why didn't FFG throw in a line in the crafting rules saying "After determining if the check was successful, do not cancel opposing advantages or disadvantages"?

Does FFG do rule clarification over twitter like WotC does?

Help I've been playing X wing for 2 weeks and I have already spent over $100 on it

This is fine. What have you gotten so far?

Not a clue. My Google-fu is weak, so haven't found any relevant FFG posts (forum, twitter, etc).

Just wait until you start repainting it.

A wing, Starviper, Kirahzx, mist hunter and a shadow caster. I'm debating getting the hound's tooth as well

Now you've probably got enough shit to not need to buy anything for like a year though. I spent like $100 when I got into it and I've been making new lists every week without buying anything new for like two months.

I assume you also picked up a core set? From what I can see, with the exception of the A Wing you are headed for Scumville, which can be fun.

I've heard good things about the Hound's Tooth. Apparently needs an Engine Upgrade to help it reposition.

I'd say either get it or a Jumpmaster. You can do a nice Scum list with what you have and either of those.

I bought the a wing for push the limit really. I liked the model too since I display them.

The plan is to get 1 of at least every ship. I'm starting with scum since I have a friend who has rebel ships and another with an imperial fleet

Does anyone have a quick reference sheet for AoR?

> be us
>transferring SAGA d20 to EoTE / AOR
> Most players transfer well
> ALL EU Canon
> Yuuzhan Vong War (year 4 and yes we've played all 5 years in game)

> Mando force user (gone rogue)
> Sherlock holmes / Dr Who Mrilsii Scientist
> Mando gunslinger
> NPC former Clone commando who was a cadet of the Mando force users father during the clone wars (Killed by Vong)
> Anzati Crime lord who just revealed his sith using force origins

> The entire game game the Anzati has threatened to eat the party if they dont do his bidding.
> Entire party is getting fed up with his bullshit.
> Mando force user mostly stays in his room
> Mando gunslinger uses his own ship
> Scientist has his own lab on lock down
> Anzati character is bored because he never gets to RP with anyone

>How can i save my campaign guys ?

Shoot the fucking azanti and have done. What the fuck were you thinking, allowing a character like that

Jumpmaster looks really good but I'm worried about the dial since I'm still a pretty bad pilot. Though I do want to pick up the mindlink guys, I feel like you can do a lot of cool things with them

Retire the PCs to be NPCs they can interact with later on if they're joust going to hide in their labs/rooms/ships and not do player things, start again as new up and comers.

Best way to get better at flying it is to fly it, my dude.

How do you even transfer things over?

The player himself isnt bad, hes just really really in character when he plays because his character is a dick. mini story time

>be party
> tracking Vong for NRI
> get told to find the world of sanctuary for NRI
> party finds it
> Gets told to leave the planet.
> shrug.jpeg
>as the party heads back the anzati decides he wants a pet saber cat which is a local species .
> has the entire party ignore the NPCs request to leave the planet and gets them to go looking for this saber cat
> they find a entire den of saber cats.
> mando force users goes to pick a cub up and take it.
> anzati tells him he doesn't want that one and grabs another
>crit fail
> entire den wakes up as the saber cats see the party trying to take a cub
> Panic.run
> Entire party starts running back to the ship
> Mando force user uses his jet pack to escape
> sets the forest on fire and burns the world
> Everybody escapes but they are literally grounded by the locals from leaving for burning their holy forest
> Anzati goes into the cargo hold with his new pet and promo ply tells the rest of the party that his new pet needs to be groomed by his NPC bodyguards and thugs.
> Force Mando literally about loses his shit
> entire party banned for life from returning
> NRI is angry they didnt get any intell
> Anzati then gives wrong coordinates to the force using mando to have them return to coruscant instead of mandolore because LOLz

see above
they do the missions but on "rest time" between combat and missions they dont leave their rooms
LOTS of time and effort

Everything was fine until
>because LOLz

And I'm saying kill that fucking character because he is fucking everyone else over.
And "I'm being a game ruining cockbag but it's in character because I chose to make a character who's a game-ruining cockbag" ISN'T A FUCKING EXCUSE

FFG has a rules clarification page where you can submit a question and then - eventually - a dev will respond to you through e-mail. From a quick glance, it doesn't seem like FFG or some of the bigger devs do any responses over twitter.

you made me look up how much it would cost to rebuy my collection on amazon, turns out i have $370 worth of plastic and card.
Been collecting for about a year and the more expensive stuff was gifts thankfully

Yeah, I've just sent them the question. I'll post the reply when I get it.

Still cheaper than magic. I'm and I got everything from trading two magic cards

Why the fuck would you allow such a powerful species in your group anyway? Having a vampire with zero weaknesses seems like a bad idea.

Is season 3 of Clone Wars the "we wanted to have these scenes in earlier seasons but didn't have the time or budget" season? Because first it was picking up before and after the rookies episode from season one and now it's back to the Ryloth arc and I'm getting kinda confused by where this stuff sits on the timeline.

Follow the viewing guide in the OP, famalam.

The viewing guide doesn't actually say anything to clear this up, it just says which episodes are better than others.

Well, it helps you keep your arcs together.

Yeah the timeline is really weird for a good chunk of the series.

Problem is you're taking a lot of this from Legends lore, which may not be completely true anymore.

Also I'd say it's kind of clear the shoretroopers are meant to be camouflaged troops, but then again it would be better to see if any canon source confirms it before definitely denying it.

Now play Armada.
I've spent over 500 bucks on it and I still haven't bought it all.

most places I've found are fine with proxied cards outside tournament games.

especially if you say you're trying out a new list idea.

as for where to get the cards you should already have a crackshot from imperial veterans, inquisitors tie has guidance chips and tie phantom has fire control system.

In FFG, how would you handle a party of recurring antagonists? I thought about doing a group of Rivals but since they don't suffer critical injuries I figure they'd be too short lived.

On the flip side, wouldn't fighting a party of Nemeses be too hard?

seemed like a ok idea at the time? i really dont know. It might be why the game has gone on hiatus

Not necessarily. You can have a group of enemies classified as Nemeses for the purpose of game mechanics but with Rival-level stats.

To quote Yathzee, "Purposedly annoying is still annoying".

He brought shit on himself wanting to play an asshole.

>how would you handle a party of recurring antagonists?
Depends on the type of campaign. If you're in a bounty hunter campaign it would be fairly easy to have a different group vying for the same bounties, but if you're caught attacking them directly your employers won't work with you anymore.

How does it compare to X wing?

More deliberate, more complicated, takes about twice as much space and time.

I don't know why I didn't think of this.

Not very convincing honestly. I think I'll just stick with X wing for the moment

Not near as fast or exciting as X-Wing. Still, it really pushes you to think ahead and try strategize your moves rather than just getting by reacting to what your enemy is doing.
If X-Wing is checkers, Armada is chess.

So how many Jedi are left at the ROTJ? Like realistically speaking Obi Wan and Yoda can't be the very last two of the old order Jedi right?

Worth picking up a single aggressor for casual play? Or are they just overpriced without running a pair?

Whether Ahsoka is dead is a bit up in the air, and Kanan and Ezra haven't been killed off yet, but they're the only living jedi-trained force users we've seen in canon. There are still non-jedi force users like Bendu, though.

In Legends, it was a scant handful of Jedi/Padawans who had been scattered here and there and didn't know about any other survivors until Luke started looking for them. Which isn't counting isolated Force traditions like Dathomir (which was militarily quarantined anyway)

In Canon, probably zero outside of Luke himself.

Kanan is gonna bite it soon, I promise you

The question is whether or not they kill Ezra

I mean this is speculative, but considering that there were thousands of Jedi before 66, shouldn't there be more in hiding. I mean Obi Wan and Yoda basically survived till the end of the empire and they're Bin Laden tier wanted.

I don't see how Kaminoans are relevant to the current discussion.

Maybe, but most of those jedi would have been at the temple on Coruscant or with clones, so it would've taken a whole lot of skill and luck. Assuming any jedi can get along as well as two masters or the padawan of space jesus seems like a mistake.

>thousands of Jedi before 66
Thousands is a very, very small number when you take into account the scale of the galaxy and Clone Wars. The GAR almost certainly massacred most of them in the opening salvo. Then you had nearly 20 years of the Empire running around without serious Rebel opposition or sentiments. That's almost 20 years of Vader, the Inquisition, and 501st hunting down the last stragglers.

Ezra's going to simply retire and leave being Jedi behind

Nah, he'll be chillin with Luke with tons of force ghosts.

now that there's an IG88 crew 1 aggressor in a list is a viable option.

>kanan dies of old age
>ezra is included in the episode VIII as part of the last jedi

Being one who prefers the old canon, I'd say a double handful active in the entire galaxy, and maybe a score more who are under cover so deep or far-flung that they effectively don't matter until maybe the NR era, when they *might* poke their heads out

>Assuming any jedi can get along as well as two masters or the padawan of space jesus seems like a mistake.
Their survival doesn't rely on their skills though, it relies on their isolation.
I guess yeah, it just seems like an insanely small number to be left down to

For force-users in general? Its like imperial Whack-a-Mole, where new ones are born every year, in wildly different places, and the Empire has to constantly track them down and either kill them or indoctrinate them into the Inquisitorius. There are also many Force using traditions, and scholars interested in the Force, that are harshly persecuted by the Empire through a wide variety of means. Jedha from RO was considered the last major bastion of Force worship in the known galaxy, until Tarkin made Krennic feel insecure.

As for surviving members of the Jedi Order? One of the major complaints about the OT was always that it was really vague on why Luke was so important. You gotta remember, the whole prophecy thing hadn't been invented yet, so Obi-Wan and Yoda were just like "luke dude your the last hope except for leia or something"

Then the prequels happened, introduced the prophecy, and the next major complaint from fans were that too many Jedi survived order 66. Now we have NuCanon, and like most things in NuCanon, we just have to wait and see. It seems like all fully trained Jedi are dead, but you of course have several talented ex-apprentices like Kanan and Asohka.

>implying liberal use of force mind control isn't 50% or more for anyone who doesn't want to live eating snakes as the only sapient being on their moon

>no 28mm star wars skirmish game with well detailed miniatures
>star wars armada is too big for my taste and no clone wars ships

I just come here for high quality posts.

And we're happy to provide them.

there are probably a few more old masters and padawans, who live on the outer rim as moisture farmers, but obi-wan and yoda cant contact them in anyway, and they would be unlikely to want to get involved in another war, those that did are probably dead or named kanan, so they would be unlikely to show up until they read on the holo net "It's all over, Empire Flees!"

they wouldnt poke their heads out of hiding until many years after RotJ, and I would like to think many of Lukes first teachers were survivors

there was probably at least one jedi who lived as a hermit yoda style, and did nothear about the fall of the empire until TFA, returns to the temple hoping to be greeted by the new jedi only to be stabbed by kylo

So whatever happened to Sheev's son Triclops?

Is there any pilot-type class that gets Melee as a Career/Spec skill? Bounty Hunter/Assassin gets both pilot skills and melee, but I want a piloting-related skill tree.

He never escaped the Planet of Vaguely Canonical Characters who Everyone wants to Forget.

Speaking of Jedha, what exactly were Baze and Chirrut supposed to be? I heard it saying something about being guardians of the temple there. Chirrut certainly believed in the force and seemed to have *some* training, to act as well as he did without being able to see.

they are both the guardians of the whills, who used to take care the jedi temple before the dark times, before the empire
imwe believes in the force on a religious level, while baze has grown disillusioned with the it until the very end

What ever happened to Barris Offee?

Would it be cheesy to have her appear as a mentor if one of my players goes over to the Dark Side, shortly after the Battle of Yavin?

>what exactly were Baze and Chirrut supposed to be?
Thinly veiled pandering to the chinese movie audience and non-jedi force users because can't have a star wars movie without force users!

I think the Wook describes him as crashing the wedding of Han and Leia to rant like a crazy person before running off into the jungles of Yavin, never to be seen again.

The Whills was a concept Lucas had always meant to include if I recall correctly. A religious order that reveres the Force but doesn't learn to use it in the way that Jedi do.

she is either dead, an inquisitor, or a moisture farmer

no problem with that, the force is pretty integral to star wars

That's an interesting take on a Force religion.

I thought the guardian of the whills were really cool, nice to see non-jedi force users get respect
they also show of the more subtle aspects of the force, like in episode IV
I am one with the force, the force is with me

>Thinly veiled pandering to the chinese movie audience
In the same way Mace Windu was thinly-veiled pandering to black people.

One vague force user and a Hired Gun/Heavy with a Jury Rigged Light Repeater.

>In the same way Mace Windu was thinly-veiled pandering to black people.

Ha ha, no, Jar-Jar was Lucas' idea of thinly-veiled pandering to black people.

Lucas is a little racist.

>the force is pretty integral to star wars
>Han Solo's flown from one side of the galaxy to the other and he's never seen anything to make him believe in the force
>but you literally cannot have a movie without it

No, I don't think Windu is on the same level as they are.

I'm surprised she wasn't a high level inquisitor since she was a dark sider hailed by palpatine right before order 66. But it seems like they are moving away from that plot line in Rebels now so she may never show up.

As for having her in your games go for it. Best terrorist makes for an interesting NPC

She probably got killed during order 66 because muh rule of two.

*jailed

Fuck this is what I get for being a phoneposter faggot