Previous thread:
What did they mean by this?
i.gyazo.com/3f1d230f43f8a91d9ca77bd14cf1d95f.png

Other urls found in this thread:

homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/ByxFaH9Pe
i.gyazo.com/3f1d230f43f8a91d9ca77bd14cf1d95f.png
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>What did they mean by this?

They might be listening and trying to not release everything as broken as some of the most recent ones have been.

Or they're gonna toss out another UA for mystics.

Acquisitions Inc. is live on twitch

anyone know how long it takes for the game to get uploaded to youtube?

I wanted to make a growing villain, a minion who gets chunked a few times, then comes into his own

homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/ByxFaH9Pe

LGS needs a DM

I am a DM for lmop, 3rd session

What do I need if I want to DM irl

I'll need a screen, handouts, what do you guys do for maps?

>ho,, we have so much UA material it will be published every week starting next week
>wait, we will publish next next week
>no, we will start publishing next next next week

>took out the exploding bit
Oh fuck this
Just wait until the characters are level 10 and they never use their class abilities anymore, they just cycle through a sequence of 'use most OP magic item' to 'use least OP magic item' every day since it's not like they'll lose those magic items ever and they're not punished for using them as often as they can.

7th for Kobold Dragon-Hunting Party

you're overreacting

it's 7 okay magic items and they're not going to get any more for a while

also the horn can only be used once a day

Gonna be running some monsters that require dismemberment to be defeated. Basically I threw the story of Deadspace into my setting, it works perfectly with Dwarves mining too deep and discovering an ancient artifact. In anycase, how do I run monsters that require the players to actively dismember them without explicitly telling them? Cause I want them to be more than just zombies.

Hello again /5eg/
Writefag from a few days ago here, I posted the story of how my campaign faced Mr. Teeth along a river in the underdark. Since then, we've had one small session, which was mostly spent in the cubbyhole in the rock wall we ended that session with. We found out, via three desperate Arcana checks, that Mr. Teeth is an Aboleth. My question is, is there any way to make an aboleth puke? Also is there any way a level 11 group of three can kill or hide from an Ancient Bronze Dragon?

You can throw one at them and teach them the mechanic. Essentially, they aren't dying easily at all. Then as soon as one of your players does something that sounds feasible to dismember one of them, give them a big hint about it.
Then throw many at them.

>what do you guys do for maps?
I make them using tools found online and print them out at the library because I'm a poorfag.

If it's only overreacting then it's basically a lesser version of the same problem.

>Hippy
>Hippy
>Hippy
>Hippy
>Hippy
>Hippy with a goddamn gun

these are the first magic items they've gotten

next finds arent going to be until their around level 8

they're

You meme, but three of them are actually treehuggers. Only the first two in the lineup don't seem to have any pacifist tendencies.

No reason they wouldn't already be dismembering them through combat. I mean, I assume the party is trying to fuck them up, after all.

Have the monsters keep fighting and fighting, but get less effective as they lose limbs. Say, one without legs will be slower or barely mobile, one without a head will be confused, one without arms will struggle to attack properly, etc.

>furfag
>gunfag
>look how tough i am
>shota fantasies
>nigger-lipped
>totally not gay elffag
>chains are totally cool guise

Shit group/10

rude.

Your group is shit, and so is this art.

You're one of the players, right?
Which one are you?

I don't give a shit about your opinion, I asked a question.

Different guy here. Which party members are going up against the dragon?

Also, if you want to make an aboleth puke, ask your DM if you can make some investigation checks at the library to learn about aboleth anatomy.

Or have your stronk party member punch them repeatedly in the gut (once you figure out where that is).

He's the first to the left, a trigger-happy sorcerer
>muh sickles
puke

Damn people *really* don't like your art for some reason.

>Ancient Bronze Dragon

why do they want to kill a good dragon?

He can't, because he literally petrified the stronk wyman of the group

What's a good number of minions and big dudes for a seven player party? I'm going to use waves, but the party will be rushing an encampment while all but twenty one of the inhabitants have stormed off to go fight an allied war band.

What's a good ceiling for battle adds during the struggle?

So get them restored.

The fiend warlock, the gunslinger dorf and the halfling monk. They threw an elf ghost trapped in a headband away and the aboleth ate it. Unfortunately that elf had a very good friend, who was an Ancient Bronze Dragon, and now we're contemplating leaving the continent.

Sup /5eg/, I just started playing Ravenloft with my friends, and I've never played this setting before (and I've read almost nothing about it). We're all starting at level 1 and I'm playing a LG paladin (planning to build a sorcadin). What kinds of things should I watch out for? My DM is pretty sadistic. Any tips?

Because the dragon will likely try and kill us for accidentally sacrificing his best friend to an eldritch abomination.

If you actually have to fight it have the monk use all his ki to try and stun it.

Also that sounds like a stupid fucking plot device. Was there any reason why he was friends with the dead elf in the head band?
Is there any real reason why he would think it was your fault?
The aboleth was the one that killed him (I guess killed his ghost?)
Did your party do it on purpose?
Sounds fucking stupid.

not that user, but at the very least, the chain the last one is holding should be limp, there's no motion going on in the character's pose and thus no reason the chain should defy gravity.

How does /5eg/ like its dragon? Polite? Friendly? Feral?

Hehehe. Have fun, pallie.

> Shit group making shitty decisions
Hm, really makes you think

That was actually what prompted me to ask here about it, and write the story. We have since found out there is no way to get the Barbarian unpetrified, and she is for the moment essentially dead.

dude, what is your problem?

Yes, we did. As opposed to your group's flawless decision making and stunning lack of errors throughout all of your campaigns, ever.

draconic

>there is no way to get the Barbarian unpetrified, and she is for the moment essentially dead.

Greater restoration.
But it sounds like your DM just wanted to kill your barbarian party member. By giving an aboleth petrification in the first place. Then saying "lol no way to fix it."

Chain is a magic artifact, literally it's only purpose is to defy gravity, which is ironic, considering it's a chain. If you've ever seen Bleach, it's the opposite of this guy's weapon, in that it halves the weight of anything it strikes, and it's extremely situational, but funny enough to be in the campaign when we found it and tried to use it for everything.

No, I was the one who petrified her, because she tried to kill me, for accidentally getting her best friend eaten by said aboleth. None of us down here have greater restoration.

>party of 6
>in the only character without a le revenge tragedy background

Folk hero oath of ancients
>being a selfless, kind character

Only downside is I had to almost pvp once. Rogue wanted to cut a bridge down, which people were being chased by a horde of goblins. he did end up cutting it, but the DM deus ex machina'd being held by my God to save the innocent.

Jesus Christ this is some autismo level hostility.

>You and your group are having fun in a way I don't like! Fix it!

Then fuck her.
Was her friend the elf in the headband?
How does the dragon know the elf in the headband died because of you guys?
I still don't understand why he'd be upset about this. He was a ghost bound to an object.
So he was already dead and enslaved.

It was a very friendly ghost. Made a lot of powerful friends after he was dead, and put into the headband. Used his newfound psychic powers to roam, and talk with things he found. Now he is part of Aboleth, and his psychic deathscream resonated for miles. I've already gotten over killing her, as she tried to kill me first, and we're planning on rescuing her as soon as is feasible to do so, we're just worried about the dragon, as he is immensely powerful and, evenn if he didn't hear the deathscream, should be meeting us to discuss the fate of our mission in about a month, and if the elf in the headband isn't there, he's going to get suspicious, and if he finds out he got fed to an aboleth, he is likely going to kill us. Thank you for the help though.

So why did you sacrifice it?
Kill the aboleth instead of the dragon.
Gut it and take the headband back.

1st rule of Ravenloft, don't touch anything

2nd rule of Ravenloft, DON'T FUCKING TOUCH ANYTHING.

If my Fighter/Rouge Battle Master uses Manuvering Attack, does the wording allow me to add Sneak Attack damage to the attack?

Yes.
You're making a weapon attack.

Same reason you can sneak attack with shit like booming blade.

Well, I suppose I shouldn't argue about the frequency of magical items.

The deal with magical items is what the magical items mean.

If they're just sporadic 'okay, every few levels you're all going to get a tailored item or bunch of random magical loots' then at most you'll expand their options in combat and at worst you'll confuse everyone over a mess of magic items, devalue their class abilities and make magic items.. Not special.

3rd and 4th editions of D&D relied somewhat more on the players getting magical items, normally. It was kind of 'required for the power curve' because the game expected you to get them and had all sorts of rules for magic item shops and the like.
5e decided to go back more to the roots and say 'screw that' and make magical items not something you should assume you'll get quite as much - magic items are better if they have a reason they're in the player's possession (The players hunted it down, got it on-loan from someone, made a sacrifice for it), has a purpose (you need to bring it to a temple, it's to help defeat an enemy and then you return it after, the item marks you as a god's champion, etc) and then the item has fun uses (in combat and out of combat) without being something you just use every day because it'll come off cooldown in the morning.

That's just my opinion, but just throwing a load of magical loot at the players feels soulless. There's little meaning to it, you might as well give the players all a level up.

Found the link to the thread, here. Basically though, he got mindcontrolled, tried to kill us with psychic powers when we were already low on health, so I threw him far enough away he couldn't hurt us, then the aboleth came out of the water and ate him. We're also, as I said, three level 11's.

Sexy, thanks

Then tell the dragon what happened and ask for its help in getting revenge on the aboleth.

You know, I hadn't considered that. Alright, rephrasing the question, how do we stay alive in combat with him long enough to explain it.

They're still good dragons.
If you're not hostile and wanting to explain yourself with no signs of hostility it should hear you out unless your DM just wants to kill you.

Even chromatic dragons would probably want to hear what someone has to say, just because begging prey is more hilarious to them.

Hmm, fair enough. Never actually faced a dragon that wasn't evil prior to this campaign, so i'm probably just jumpy. They're big fuckers.

If the dragon seems into this kind of thing.
Offer enough gold coins to melt over the aboleth's skull after you kill it and let the dragon keep it as a trophy.

Will do, thank you for the advice.

Any suggestions for spells for a level 3 College of Lore bard to fit a disney princess-esque character?

I'm having a hard time balancing effectiveness and theme.

Here's what I have so far:
Vicious Mockery and Minor Illusion for cantrips. Animal Friendship and Healing Word for level 1
Animal Messenger and Silence for level 2

Vestal from darkest dungeon. Good taste my friend.

>i.gyazo.com/3f1d230f43f8a91d9ca77bd14cf1d95f.png
THEY CAN'T KEEP GETTING AWAY WITH THIS

We all agree that if this isn't the Mystic class and is instead some shitty Sorc and/or Wiz dump, we riot, right?

Well, they are doing three classes i one unearthed arcana, and they're all casters, so they've got to think of fluffy spells and shit. I can understand the delay. However, they'd best have like three things for each.

Wet erase mat with 1" squares, draw whatever layout you want.

You don't need to invent new spells to make new archetypes for casters. Wizards and Sorcs don't even get extended spell lists.

>Well, they are doing three classes i one unearthed arcana
Wait what? Where was this said?

Since last thread someone wanted a bit of an update, I made a few minor word changes and added in a ribbon ability. Critique is always welcome.

Wasn't it Wizard, Sorc and Warlock?

I didn't know they were combining them into one UA. They don't usually announce this stuff beforehand anyways, so I was curious where it came from.

Personally I'm hoping for a UA Revised Sorc + UA Sorc origins, but I tend to be disappointed by UAs.

Well, they did ranger and rogue last time, I know they're doing warlock next, and I should think they're doing sorcerer and wizard too, pretty sure I saw that somewhere. They're probably gonna do at least one more UA Sorc origin, a UA Warlock pact, but not sure what they'd give a wizard, all the spell schools are already done.

Why do you get proficiency in persuasion?

My reasoning for it is that to get people to listen to you at all, you need to persuade them into trusting you and your plans. After all, if you fuck something up at all in any sort of tactical decision, people will die. Thus, persuasion is something I feel like a lot of tacticians, strategists, and military commanders possess.

New player told me they wanted to play as an alchemist, as in the potion-making kind and not the transmuting kind. Any suggestions for 5e?

new UA class, Artificer. One of the subclasses is Alchemist. That's probably pretty useful, not sure how many potions they make though.

Thoughts? Building on input in the last thread. The basic idea is to help the sorcerer be on more even footing with the other full casters. Just wanna be sure I didn't mess it up.

Still to do:
>Come up with less dorky name for "sorcery points".

Formidable

Festive

With cute obsessions they hide well and take extremely seriously.

>use Intelligence instead of Charisma
Using a different ability score is already a variant rule, and I don't think it's a stretch to use Intelligence for Persuasion without a class feature. I think it'd be better to leave that up to the DM's discretion. But maybe that's just me.

Making the range of Help 30 feet kind of breaks it. If you don't have to put yourself in harm's way, it becomes a matter of "why would you ever not use it out of combat". If nothing else, limit it to "when you use Help to grant an ally advantage on an attack roll".

Stratagem is basically Commander's Strike except it doesn't require you to spend any resources, or a bonus action, or one attack, or your ally's reaction. Do you see the problem with that? Like, I think Commander's Strike is kinda overly demanding (a bonus action AND one of your attacks?), but this is just ridiculous.

Tip the Scales is a bit underwhelming. All it's doing is saving you one turn. I could kind of understand the benefit if it were a cleric or a bard who could then heal/buff more people at once.

Unless this means you can maintain a concentration-dependent spell on two targets instead of one. Though lots of spells like that, especially at higher levels, already let you select multiple allies. And if you were going for that, it's not clear.

>Come up with less dorky name
I admire your spirit, but this is Dungeons and Dragons. Making it less dorky is a ship that sailed so long ago it's not even on the register anymore.

Looking good, I think.
But I do agree the 'use intelligence instead of charisma' is unnecessary, giving less reason for the character to have good charisma and it kinda gives them too many abilities overall if you throw it in.

The tactician doesn't necessarily need great persuasion skills - they're working out tactics amongst a small band of adventurers or friends, not amongst hundreds of soldiers.

You'll never get anything done with that attitude.

Help me, /5eg/. I recently acquired the Bestow Curse spell, but I'm not clever enough to think of curses beyond the examples given. I feel like using it for role playing reasons, so what kind of curses can one bestow with this spell?

What are the chances they'll ever update the Kensei? It didn't grab me at first but I've warmed to it since. Running around with a longsword playing Dr.McNinja sounds kinda fun desu.

A few days, usually. You might get an audience-recorded version earlier, but the official version with the animated intros usually come later.

Appreciate the critique! Allow me to respond.

1. Would it be better to double your proficiency bonus for Persuasion then, instead of allowing you to use Intelligence?

2. The point of help being 30 is to sorta break it, realistically I have never seen anyone in any 5e game I've played ever use it, it is way too restrictive(in the player's mindset) for someone to willingly offer up their attack action to -maybe- have an other ally hit it. Likewise, using it to give advantage on other tasks such as using a mage hand to help steal a guard's keys makes sense to me.

3. Maybe my poor wording for Strategem is what makes it appear too similar and strong. You do use an attack/cantrip to activate it, and it was supposed to consume your ally's reaction as well. I'll fix the wording a bit more to properly represent how I intended it to be used.

4. Tip the Scales is supposed to allow you to double concentrate, but I admit my biggest weakness in making homebrews is the capstone. Any alternative ideas for it?

Not the person who made it, but

I don't think the help thing was intended to be used on skills at 30ft, but it should certainly specifiy that it's for attacks either way.

The deal with the 'commander's strike' thing is that a lot of martials already can find ways of getting reaction attacks and the wizard has to actually spend an action on a cantrip or melee attack rather than spell. And then the ally doesn't have a reaction, I guess. I suppose limiting it to 3 to 5 times a long rest or requiring you to actually hit your target or even give up the bonus action advantage to do it might work.

Tip the scales is pretty much twinned spell. Twinned spell costs metamagic points which could be turned into spell slots, and wizards get a spell slot regeneration feature anyway, so it's pretty much a slightly more expensive twinned spell, and I wouldn't say that's bad. Stepping on sorcerer's toes a bit, but by the wording it sounds like it works for concentration spells such as haste.

Every lover will betray your trust and become unfaithful

The curse of cuck.

I think getting rid of the persuasion thing completely would be best. There's already a couple of ribbonish features there alongside the proper stuff, and that's enough. Persuasion should be left to if the player wants to take proficiency in it and/or good charisma.

Most other things are addressed Tip the scales is fine, I think. Capstones don't have to be overwhelming great, and twinned spell (at least half or more of twinned spell's usage is on your own teammates) is good enough.

I'd probably disallow skill check help at 30ft but the DM can always allow it anyway if you make up a thing with mage hand or something.

And I'd probably do something for the level 6 feature to sliiightly nerf it but not as heavily as other user implied, like require you to actually hit with your cantrip/melee attack.

After taking what people have said into consideration, I have made some slight changes and reworded Strategem slightly.

One of the biggest reasons why I don't want to add on a "hit" clause to the 6th level ability for the help action is to allow the players to be inventive with it. Using prestidigitation and throwing glitter or sparkles into their face generally makes them reflexively try to protect their face or close their eyes. Same way that hitting them with a flaming sword or bolt might.

If you are going for something beyond just "lolsorandom fart curse," then you could always give aesthetic curses (giving a woman a beard or causing someone's hair to fall out). Other fun curses could include:
>Causing someone's every footstep to make squeaky noises (bane of all stealth users)
> Forcing a mannerism on someone (i.e., they get a habit like whistling a certain tune or adding certain words at the end of their sentences)
>Depriving them of any one sense (blindness/deafness is lower level, after all)
>Gender-swap
>Height-reduction
>Eating/drinking doesn't sate hunger/thirst (or the reverse: always feel full or hydrated even when you aren't)

Messing with the senses, verbal patterns, and astethics of a person can be really devilish. Try to argue certain mechanical debuffs to some of these (i.e., height reduction could reduce movement speed by 5 ft if strong enough, and squeaky curses would probably impose a big stealth problem). Adding caveats to make them only activate under certain conditions can also make the curses more subtle and potentially more devastating in the right situation.

>Curse of Tourette Syndrome
>Disadvantage on all persuasion and deception checks, advantage on intimidation checks.

I like it.

Actually, I seem to have had it in my head that the level 2 feature gave you help as a bonus. That was the later one.

Only odd thing now is that level 10 says 'hit with a melee weapon or cast a cantrip' which implies you'd have to hit with melee but not with a cantrip. But then again, some cantrips are save throw based...
It'd have to be like 'When a cantrip you cast or a weapon hits a creature or a creature fails a cantrip's saving throw'.

I don't know about others, but I think this version is good.