Derail Thread

>DnD 5e
>roll up a fighter, decide I want him to be a privateer
>talk with the DM, establish that I have a small ship moored at the dock in the town we're starting in
>don't expect to ever use it
>group has some new players, so the DM does the whole "you met at a tavern" thing to try to get us to go around the table giving character introductions
>no one wants to start
>DM looks at me and says "user, you look like you're not paying attention. Why don't you start us off."
>put on the spot, all I can think to say is "So, ye lubbers be me new crew?"
>to my surprise, every other player goes along with it.
>herd them down to the dock, walk them through battening down the rigging and keel-hulling the gangplank, and other pirate-y stuff
>look at the DM
>he's not even mad I stole his game

Campaign derail general, I guess.

>party follows a devil through a portal to hell in order to gain info slash kick her ass
>one thorough beatdown later, the devil turns invisible to try and escape
>cleric has the bright idea of dispelling the portal so she cant escape
>and then we were stuck in hell

Your cleric sounds brilliant

>numenera
>GM essentially drops us into Darkworld
>we die multiple times over getting in over our heads
>travel is a huge pain in the ass
>everything we do to fix the problems with the city just makes shit worse
>halfway through mission to learn about the secrets of the moving city, we say fuck it and rig the city core to blow
>take off on a stolen big rig
>drive away from mushroom cloud
>commence with MadMax shenanigans for the rest of the campaign
it didn't last long but it was fun while it did. We ended up nuking our rig, our players, and later on straight up replacing the crew and going on a short but pleasant city crawl

he gets to use the aquatic monsters now

we DMs almost never get to use the Aquatic monsters

This, Fucking Krakens and shit, it'll be wild.

>Spent two weeks at sea during one campaign
>DM spends the whole time throwing shark people and other aquatic monsters at us.
>Massive Kraken attack!
>Rogue of the party convinces one of the DM's mage NPC characters to sacrifice himself to the kraken through ridiculous bluff checks.
>Mage leaps into the Kraken's maw.
>Problem solved, Kraken just swims away for reasons I no longer remember.

>We're not trapped here in hell, sillies!
>THE DEMONS ARE TRAPPED IN HERE WITH US

Aquatic campaigns are actually my fetish. I will do anything to get in on one if I can. Trouble is my main and best player has aqua/agoraphobia. He can't even think very long about the ocean without hyperventilating and just shutting down.

My life. Pain, it is.

Land viking campaign. With like, fish people that live in mud huts.

Same player hates fish races. I think they remind him too much of the water.

Frog races? Damn, I hope he's able to deal with his fear of water some day. That must be hard. :(

It is. I can have water-related shit show up outside of fish races. It's apparently the openness and vast clawing depths he's terrified of. Also the fact that you can't see very far underwater, while the shit down there can see you.

I just realized that the fundamentals of Cthulhu style creep-horror must bug him the fuck out.

What if instead of water, the ocean was just Jell-o.

What do you like about Aquatic campaigns? Is it the water and aquatic creatures or everything around them? Because airship campaign with floating islands are pretty sweet too.

I'd get a laugh, and then a nervous twitch, and then nothing for several hours no doubt.

Or he'd puke.

I love the adventure. The styles. The sense of wonder and openness that an ocean provides. The mysteries out there, the cultures, the ruins and the treasures are just over the horizon. And the ships are practically characters in their own right if done correctly.

I love floating island games...but I've yet to build a setting like that to my high expectations. I can't seem to find the right balance between explaining shit and letting it go.

Also, he doesn't like floating islands. Thinks they're weird and unnecessary.

Just green tinted, but still very clear 7 feet of jell-o for the entire ocean.

I like your style, but he'd hate it. Now it'd be because it's getting silly.

Play a world where everything is food, silly from the start and internally consistent with everything else.

Jellmaids, jelloy fish. a cult that worship K'raft.

Might work. Silly can be a good thing.

I managed to successfully derail a magical realm campaign (furry harems in a desert realm inhabited by not!loli and not!shota halflings who were ruled over by a succubus vizer). I run a cleric/paladin of a deity against debauchery (got approved by the same dm). I derailed this campaign by spending my resources having a portal made to normie land. we then started a holy crusade to destroy the succubus and free the land from her evils and allowed the furkin to return to their homelands which we promptly avoided except to get the occasional gift from their ruler.
on a serious note, it would be worse to have crystal clear water. There are some lakes and even locations in the oceans that have water so clear, you think the water is a few feet deep and its suddenly 50 feet down. vice versa too.