Warhammer 40,000 General /40kg/

MC Hammers Of Dorn edition

>previous thread
>THIS IS THE ROSTER CREATOR. ARMY LIST WITH PICTURES. CLICK HERE FOR THIS. THIS LINK.
webapplications-webroster.rhcloud.com/rc/web/#/rosterCreator

>Rules and such. Use Readium for epubs. Sorry, it's shit but it'll read 3s.
mega.nz/#F!BxI1HSgI!0tKymKh9RZTzGpgIA5EyCg
mega.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ

>FAQs and errata
games-workshop.com/en-JP/Rules-Errata

>40K 7th Edition Quick Reference Sheets:
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4104995/Games/7edRef.pdf

>Forge World Book Index:
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Forge_World_and_Apocalypse_Rules_Index

>The Black Library (Beware of Alpharius)
mega.nz/#F!wx4BiKhD!YhnAf1BqSmAB8dO6xDM56Q

So, how many Thousand Sons are there left?
Is it actually 1000? Or is it like 999 plus Magnus?
Can Rubrics truly be killed?

What god did humanity make? Emps wasn't powerful enough for god level and Khorne/war existed before humans.

Im not 100% sure but I thought it was like 1000 Psykers active. But who fucking knows the amount of actual rubrics.

About a thousand survived the burning of Prospero, Rubric Marines can be resurrected and it's implied that the Aspiring Sorcerers and the like are 'newbloods' from the post-Heresy eras. So the actual number is probably somewhere around, but definitely not exactly 1,000.

Tell me about Your Dudes.

I thought humans were responsible for both khorne and nurgle? Khorne was completed during the middle ages due to crusades, and nurgle was formed after the black death.

Although of course this may no longer be the case.

3-2 xenos, step your game up

emps is a god

proof: celestine

>Emps wasn't powerful enough for god level

Correct: wasn't. Ten thousand years of eating thousands of lower-grade Psykers and harnessing, intentionally or no, the faith and hopes of a vast majority of one of the most numerous psychically sensitive species in the galaxy tends to do that to an already extremely powerful Psyker on an equally ridiculously powerful network of psychic archaeotech connected to a bunch of other powerful Psykers at any one time.

Rubrics are basically just animate armor at this point so as long as you can recover the essence you can reanimate them.

Emps is a god. And AFAIK every god but slannesh was created by humanity, khorne by the mongols, nurgle by the plauge and tzeentch by the renisance, but that may no longer be canon.
Either way, causing the downfall of your civilization and fucking over the entire galaxy is not something for the knife ears to be proud of.

Reposting in the new thread that I need some interesting BatReps to watch while painting Skittles!

Any of you guys picked up Gangs of Commorragh? What do you think? I'm really liking the rules, and had a fun game today.

Who is the Outsider?

Anybody got a PDF of Face of battle?

One of the C'tan. In times gone by (pre-newcrons) he was one of the 4 C'tan left. He was crazy, I think, but apart from that they never really said much about him.

It's something like Orks 2, Humans 3, Eldar 5, at this point. I don't think we can credit the c'tan to the crons, so...

>eating thousands of lower-grade Psykers
More like force fed, but close enough.

>Khorne was completed during the middle ages due to crusades, and nurgle was formed after the black death.
>Although of course this may no longer be the case.

Old RT era lore put the birth of the first three to 8000BC, quite a bit before both plague and crusades.

Ah yes, Isha. That didn't end all too well.

Time-hopping band of freeblades cursed to keep dying and fighting without being able to change the major points of the timeline, only the different events leading up to them, led by a lone survivor of a fallen house during the horus heresy.

>Old RT era lore put the birth of the first three to 8000BC, quite a bit before both plague and crusades.

Really? I could have sworn they were medieval. Something about the human race having a surprisingly strong impact on the warp considering their psychic power, and khorne making doombreed during his infancy as a god.

Either way, 8000 BC sounds more like humans did it than eldar given that the eldar would have had millions of years to fuck things up beforehand.

Yes.

Anyone play Vraks that can help me out

1850 Renegades of Vraks/Chaos Space Marines

Renegade Command Squad:
Ordnance Tyrant with Covenant of Nurgle: 85

35 Plague Zombies: 105
35 Plague Zombies: 105

2 Strike Battery: Wyverns: 110
2 Strike Battery: Wyverns: 110
3 Heavy Ordnance Battery: earthshakers, militia training, +6 extra crew: 193

3 Leman Russ Exterminators: militia training, multi-melta sponsons, Lascannon: 480
3 Rapier Laser Destroyers: militia training, +3 extra crew: 79
3 Rapier Laser Destroyers: militia training, +3 extra crew: 79

Fortifications: Void Shield Generator 50

Allies: Death Guard Chaos Space Marines

Chaos Lord on bike: MoN, The Black Mace: 145

10 Cultists: MoN: 70

7 Chaos Bikers: MoN, Power Axe, Combi-melta, 2 meltaguns: 237

The Hammers of Dorn are greater than the Ultramarines. They have utilized the Codex Astartes to a higher ability than any other chapter in the Imperium, and mock the Ultramarines for every mistake they make.

This is fact.

Please share it.

There's also the possibility of it being some other xenos races we've never heard of for them.

The Flock to the Front Line rule that the Castellans of the Imperium possess fits for the Imperial Guard but doesn't really fit for Space Marines, Inquisition or Sisters of Battle. What should it be replaced with for units from those Codexes?

Maybe just 5+ FNP? Locked in, Iron Hands can't buff it.

Sisters troops get a +1 to shield of faith, so putting them and their transports at a 5++. Marines get a 5+ FnP, or +1 if they already have it for some reason.

>Sons of Dorn completely misunderstand the point of a work
>pretend their stupidity is a virtue
Sounds about right.

r8 my friendly 1850 list

Any tips for building an anti-eldar Necron list for a ~3000 pt. friendly game? And by friendly I mean we're allowing stand-ins I want to curb-stomp this cheesy mother-fucker

Yeah, but thanks to them the Tau have another relic.

what are skittles?
thats slang for estrogen pills isnt it?

Tech priestess' mind trapped in a knight. Her "followers" are citizens of various world's near her forgeworld. She wanted her own space marines, but knowing a repeat of the IC would draw the ire of powerful people, she opted to augment her subjects to the point of inhumanity using salvaged components. Those of her followers who still maintain independent thought have an iron hands mentality, but worship her as a prophet of the omnissiah, referring to her as "machine mother"

She speaks with a transatlantic accent.

Army composed almost entirely of kit bashed dreadnoughts, techmarines and tanks.

Minimum Decurion (either Wraiths or Destroyers for auxiliary), Riptide Wing.

++ Craftworld Warhost (1777pts) ++

+ Uncategorised +

Command Benefits (Craftworlds Warhost)

+ Core +
Pale Courts Battlehost [FW] [Halls of Martial Splendour]

Aspect Lord-shrine

Autarch [Banshee Mask, Eldar Jetbike, Laser Lance, Shard of Anaris, Shuriken Pistol]

3x Dire Avengers [7x Dire Avenger]
Dire Avenger Exarch [Twin-linked Avenger Shuriken Catapult]

+ Auxiliary +
Aspect Host [+1 Ballistic Skill]

4x Dark Reapers [Starshot Missiles]
Dark Reaper Exarch [Reaper Launcher Starswarm + Starshot]

9x Swooping Hawks
Swooping Hawk Exarch [Sunrifle]

9x Warp Spiders
Warp Spider Exarch [Spinneret Rifle]

Aspect Host [+1 Weapon Skill]

9x Howling Banshees
Howling Banshee Exarch [Executioner and Shuriken Pistol]

4x Shining Spears
Shining Spear Exarch [Star Lance]

9x Striking Scorpions
Striking Scorpion Exarch [Scorpion Chainsword, Scorpion's Claw]

+ Command +

Living Legends

Any ideas on how to take it to 1850 without breaking theme (Aspects galore) too much?

Eldar
Taste the rainbow?

Space Marines created to fly into the warp and wreck up the joint to provide a distraction for the Emperor during the Great Crusade to further his plans.(Not sure if this all works with recent fluff, but I like the idea)

Still loyal, but 10000 years in the warp has made them hated/distrusted by everyone. Were not happy when they had to deal with Traitor Legions on top of Daemons!

>A Space Marine literally being retarded enough to somehow get felled by a casual shot from an obvious, shoulder-mounted weapon, after hitting the Suit with his Boltgun

Bubble of Stupidity needs to die.

Why can't this be the universe where GW can write conflicts without making one or both sides look retarded? Who the fuck reads that and thinks "good job, GW, keep up the quality writing."

So the Tau know the SM require something and it's located in the neck. Would this mean if the Tau went into battle against them with the intent on killing, not routing, they would focus on headshots? I mean, it makes sense.

Fought Tyranids today, 800 vs 800 points.
Killed a Tervigon with my dreadnought and killed about 8 hormagaunts with a few bolters and Smite and that was it. He killed about 6 space marines before we were to tired to keep the game going.

>Would this mean if the Tau went into battle against them with the intent on killing, not routing, they would focus on headshots?

Yes, like everyone else who's remotely competent at killing Humanoids, they like to go for the head when possible. That being said, considering the actual speed of Astartes and barely above-average accuracy of the Tau as a species it's not particularly likely that trying to shoot them in the head specifically would be wise, just shoot them until they drop.

Their targeting systems would most likely place hitboxes on the head.

Or actually they just make it a point to torch their corpses once they're down or if they have to retreat. Kinda like Scorched Earth, but with soldiers instead of land.

>800 points
>didn't even finish
fucking SCRUB

They could, but they won't. It's a case of GW, once again, half-assing the weaknesses of the Tau, having them do something illogical or otherwise non-optimal for the sake of 'doing the right thing' then never actually making them suffer anything for it, probably even giving them a medal in some other fluff for being superior because they play nice.

It was 1500 points with the other two players but they were off doing their own thing for the game. Both the other players were new so they had to look up everything every time they tried to do something so three turns lasted over four hours

This wouldn't be half as bad if they created new chapters just for the sake of jobbing. But as a result, White Scars generally never look good in GW written lore and Raven Guard looked like goddamn morons.

bumping for a r8

Easiest way to kill a humanoid tends to be center of mass. Head is too easy to miss.

Now, on a Marine, their armor is weaker at the neck joint, so aiming there even without knowing anything about geneseed might be a good idea (if you're a good shot when there's multiple power-armored silverback gorillas rushing at you with rocket launcher guns and chainsaws).

I know your pain.
Honestly, I love getting new people into the game, but I try to avoid them until they actually get some bearings

>rating friendly lists

A pointless exercise in skub-stirring. We don't know what your meta's like at all.

>Easiest way to kill a humanoid tends to be center of mass. Head is too easy to miss.

Unless you're Tau in your own book, then your shots will hit anything you damn well want it to hit.

Skitarii

>Both the other players were new so they had to look up everything every time they tried to do something so three turns lasted over four hours

What the fuck did they field? New players should limit unit deployment to no more than 4 unit types just to get the hang of what their units actually do and to avoid this kind of wiki lookup bullshit.

markerlights, gue'la :^))))

other than the high cost of the models, is there a reason people don't play Dkok over AM?

It pisses me off to no end that Tau fluff has them, even without the aid of Markerlights, pulling off shot after shot after shot that we've only seen at best from the new Skitarii Ranger fluff, while on the move or otherwise at such rapid succession I have no idea why Tau aren't BS5-6 naturally in the TT. But then again, Tau in their own books or any 'neutral' book tend to just completely shitstomp everything these days, usually for reasons like 'we'll overpower this one piece of technology for this one book to make everyone else look retarded' or, more commonly, genuinely making everyone they fight suffer an OOC stroke during the planning phase.

Don't know anything about the tactics, but that seems like a really cool fluff list so you should go from it.

These models are both strength 3

Fine, then rate it as a competitive or tourney list. idgaf. I'm just looking for a little feedback on a setup I've never run before.

I found this datasheet on the GW website many years ago but it got taken down a few years ago. Is it still legal?

Eldar are actually slightly stronger than Humans with similar muscle-size, but the fact that Orkz are S3 only exists because Astartes are S4. In the actual fluff Orkz are like gorillas, but buffer, and will rip a Human's arm off with minimal difficulty.

You'd think that Farsight, the character in the story depicted, would have taken to that because of his own prodigal love of fire and using firestorms as a war tactic, especially against enemies that grow from spores.

Still, Farsight seems to prefer a diplomatic solution with no hard feelings if you're a reasonable species; and killing Apothecaries isn't a good way to establish improved relations. Besides, it's not like those Space Marines are going to infest the soil and pop up in a month to start wrecking things again: they have to take the geneseed back, stick it in some boys, and train them for a few decades or more before they're ready to get back in the fight, a fight that's likely long over by then.

one is pure muscle the other is so hopped up on drugs that he doesn't realise he can't bench press the same as an ork.

Nope. Structure Points is a 5th ed. thing. That's too far back.

I don't get it.

How the heck does Farsight manage to crack the Codex, which is stated to be the best kept secret in the Imperium/uncrackable, iirc, and then 360 no-scopes a dude?

They should probably lower regular Human strength in the game to 2 then.

Orks are basically S3.5. Hence the Furious Charge.

Nah, the abstraction levels for S in 40k is insanely high. Strength 3 can so far represent a Human, a green gorilla and a slightly stronger space elf, while Strength 4 is flipping cars and generally lifting multiple tonnes no issue.

Besides, the tabletop doesn't always follow the lore that diligently anyway.

>best kept secret in the Imperium/uncrackable
The fuck? What does that even mean?

Not to mention every chapter is most likely to have a slightly different version of the Codex Astartes, as annotations, revisions, damage, and any number of other changes are likely to have occurred between its first dissemination and M41.

He observes the way the ridiculously Codex-compliant chapters (Hammers of Dorn in particular, but also Ultramarines) fight and writes up a summary of how they fight and what tactics to use against them. Reverse-engineering it, not cracking it.

He's a Tau. Modern/more modern Tau fluff exists to shit on the setting, point out how retarded everyone is for living in a grimdark state of mind, glorifying more modern philosophies/tactics in a setting that wasn't even designed to be realistic in the first place, all while making the other factions go out of their way to act OOC to make the Tau look better.

Or at least that's the jist a lot of people seem to be getting from it.

Farsight is caught between a rock and a boulder. Hes basically the only named Tau who is allowed to be smart and pragmatic, along with any Tau chick who wants to suck his cock.

I think the difference between how strong an Ork is and how strong a Human is is not represented by STR 3.

Ah but then you could make equally indignant posts comparing Catachans to Gretchin. The better solution is that you curb your autism and accept the lack of granularity in the abstraction for a tabletop, d6 based game like 40k.

>roll a D6+ Turn number every turn
>need a 7 to even turn it on
>then roll on another table
>two results involve it exploding in your own deployment zone, one result turns it off permanently, another result does nothing
Why would you want to use it? It's utterly retarded.

Well, there's also Aun'Shi.

>Have a 0-10 range for characteristics
>Everything is within first 1-4

And this is why Orks are S3.

>Furious Charge.

I'm tired. The way the codex's fluff is written is that it's made to be uncrackable so long as one follows it's teachings, such as changing your chapter colors and tactics every once in a while, among other things, which the Ultramarines, and especially the Hammers of Dorn, are stated to do in the fluff.

But user, the point of the Codex Astartes is that you're supposed to change up your tactics and even colors and other things all the time, which fluff-wise, the Hammers of Dorn specifically do, though they do have a preferance for heavy armor.

Narrative you fucking try hard power gaming faggot.

This is a role playing game and I doubt you've ever even attempted to play this game as such.

Obviously if that were the change, Gretchin should be S 1, and Catachan should stay at S 3 to be stronger than average guard.

>Ahuh! Thank the Emperor that Ork isn't running at me, now we are evenly matched in strength and vigour

Aun'Shi, to be fair, is probably the Tau character who insults the other factions the least, he's just a kickass fighter (but doesn't casually kill Space Marines and Aspect Warriors, so he's by no means badly written) who refuses to back down. He doesn't make the other factions look like retards in the grand scheme of things, he isn't in any paragraphs or bits of lore about how inferior any other faction is to him. He's just a good old Kharn the Betrayer archetype, he kills, he's damn good at it and he's never used underhandedly in the narrative, so he's a badass.

>and then 360 no-scopes a dude?
Tau suits are full of sensors and AI assistance, he has aim-assist.

>the points is that you're supposed to change up your tactics and even colors
Believe me, I understand. I'm a Tau player and I hate the Mary Sueness of our dudes. I'm just giving the official explanation.

No? Strength runs 1-10 and T runs 1-8 regularly. The headroom is there to show augmentation through technology and weaponry which generally outweighs simple muscle mass..

On average the damn thing won't even turn on until turn 3 or 4, and then it will proceed to either do nothing OR explode in your face a third of the time. It's a neat idea, but the execution is absolutely retarded.

40k is a shit narrative game and there are absolutely fuck-all RPG elements involved.

>Tau suits are full of sensors and AI assistance, he has aim-assist.

How to sum up why no one likes Tau in one sentence.

Getting +1S is a huge deal. Captain America would be at S3 before he got the supersoldier serum and still be S3 afterwards because he's peak human but not beyond human in strength.

360 noscoping a dude, like you pointed out, gives absolutely no issue, almost every advanced faction has sweet sensors and could probably pull off shots like that. What was strange about it is why the Space Marine was in the position to get casually 360'd, turns out 100 years of training and battle experience means jack shit when the Tau are about.

The problem is the d6 system. Too few possible results. Upgrade to at least a d10 and you can have orks with a higher S than humans, but less than marines. You can expand upon saves so that really fancy armor on a human isnt the same as tactical dreadnought armor on a marine.

Does anyone have a color-altered picture of a psychedelic, Lisa Frank-esque new Lord of Change model?

And its fucked up as the "average" for genetically enhanced super soldier is set on the lower end.

>Snotlings + Golden Throne Emperor 0
>Gretchin 1
>Humans 2
>Eldar 3
>Orks 4
>SM 5

etc etc etc

There's a few good characters like that; solid dudes who have something going on, but are by far not the mary sues 40k fluff demands of main characters.

There's Aun'Shi, and that Grey Knight (Crowe?) who holds on to a Daemon sword that can level planets, but just uses it as a power sword because fuck Daemons, and who has some useful abilities for the team.