youtube.com/watch?v=yhhDbaah9DQ&nohtml5=False
youtu.be/HTJwhS0-Y7U
youtube.com/watch?v=S2ypHGP3ImU
plato.stanford.edu/entries/stoicism/
classics.mit.edu/Antoninus/meditations.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Start out with an idealistic hero.
If the DM lets him be a hero, great.
If it's a setting where everything is going to punish anyone who tries to be good, than I fall hard and become a blackguard.

You dream the impossible dream, of course.

In the book he regains his lucidity and renounces his adventures as madness that he is ashamed of.

You fight Saracens, Chinese knights, harpies, evil wizards, fly to the Moon. Of course.

With dance

Scroll of featherfall.

There's no "you" in paladin, only an I and a Pal.

that sword grip bothers the fuck out of me.

Could easily be a ceremonial sword.

It's the dog's sword, they are supposed to be like that.

Gotta smite all the evil.

Like so

If you prefer urban fantasy, read Dresden Files, the books with the Knights of the Cross. Michael and Shiro are how you Paladin.

If you like comedy, read Discworld, the nightwatch books. Carrot is how you Paladin, Vimes is how you Grey Knight.

Focus on the small picture. What I do after the battle is just as important as what I do during it. Care for the injured, the orphaned, the widowed. If bandits attack the town, repair the damage they caused and secure the town before pursuing them.

Let the fighters and Vengeance paladins cut corners and shout about the "greater good". I became a paladin to help people.

paladin whose god once ordered them in a dream to kill all the other players

2 down, 3 to go

nobody suspects the LG

yawn

Sounds like you're not cut out for this.

What if I'm just tired?

By having ten million different clones of yourself, all with your face. And a horde of Otaku who eat that shit up.

Then it seems odd that you would reply to my post to say that. Unless what you're saying is that you're tired and you don't have a place to stay for the night.

Woah there.

Okay, you won. I'm out.

Please, please, I wasn't trying to out-paladin anybody, except maybe a little.

"Thou wert the meekest man", says Sir Ector to the dead Launcelot. "Thou wert the meekest man that ever ate in hall among ladies; and thou wert the sternest knight to thy mortal foe that ever put spear in the rest."

I really want to be a hero in one of my games.

I DM for my friends. I DM for my friends' friends. I sometimes play games other people decide to run.

But I've never been able to just play a fucking hero; it's always about 'lesser of two evils' or 'lel, you're too weak to save these people' or 'casualties of war' shit. Just for once, I want to play a game where any of us can actually save the fucking day without 'muh darkness'.

I really just want to be a hero and do some basic heroism in a game someday.

Pic related, I suppose.

And?

The fact is that he tried to live up to those impossible standards of people who never had the burden of existing in our world; the regaining of his sanity is portrayed as a travesty and a tragedy even in the text.

Too much sanity may be madness, but maddest of all, to see the world as it IS and not how it SHOULD be.

Well, first, I play a fighter, and then base their mode of conduct around a moralistic philosophy of some sort. Then I politely refuse to play games where they included a class designed only to spur arguments.

Anyone that tries to play a Paladin without first reading Three Hearts and Three Lions needs to be stopped from playing a paladin.

Kick a goat to the moon, or at the very least to the top of a mountain

>Michael Carpenter
My melatonin-enriched compatriot.

Like this.

I must protect the party.

My paladin of choice appears at a casual glance is a large suit of armor that behaves like a bizzare combination of dark souls Solaire and Robocop. I loved that guy.

Damn you, now I have to read that manga again and see if she is worthy of being a paladin.

WHO DARES BATTLE THE SARACEN

>poles and prussians
>saracens

Go to Spain or England if you want to kill moors that badly.

>mfw everyone hated Robespierre because he drained the swamp(tm)
He dindu nuffin wrong except the Cult of the Supreme Being, that was full retard. He kept harping on about how degenerate atheists are, but instead of going Full Catholic he created Christianity without Christ.

Teutonic Knights went to the Holy Land too.

The line is from the Saxon song "Crusader" and from its context the knight is clearly back in Europe recruiting soldiers for the Crusade.

BUT AS I LIVE, THERE IS NO EVIL THAT WILL STAND

Gods are overrated. Paladins of Ideals are where it's at.

MY IDEALS ARE THE BEST IN THE WORLD

Don't be the team's morality mom. Don't be the stick in the mud.

Be the example. Be a guiding light.

1d4chan.org/wiki/Powder_Keg_of_Justice

How I feel in my current game not being able to do anything to help anyone.

Annihilation of the Whore of Babylon.

youtube.com/watch?v=yhhDbaah9DQ&nohtml5=False

Shouldnt it be HOW DO YOU KINGU? in the context of Seibah?

>Lacu-chan! Give ekusukariba!

like the first and only paladin i played this guy

The paladin fell.

Would that mean that Roland was the Cavalier?

>YOU ARE HUGE, THAT MEANS YOU'RE A HUGE INFIDEL
>CLEAVE AND SMITE, CLEAVE AND SMITE YOUR SOUL

By mourning every time a dead god's name is spoken.
Then murdering the fuck outta who said the name.
>Happy sanguinala!
>Blasphemy!
youtu.be/HTJwhS0-Y7U

How are you gonna post something like that and not mention the source...?

I love GMing for a party with a Paladin like this. Watching their reaction to the logical consequences of being unable to not take an absolute "feel good" moral high-ground once in their life is great.

I think my favorite one was when the Rogue and the Fighter tried to kill the Paladin in rage after he refused to let the party pass by a small amount of people suffering while on the way to intercept the antagonist, leading them to being able to incinerate multiple villages, including some close friends of some of the party members.

>not one Mumen Rider in this thread

1/10, see me after class.

I was just about to post him.

Mumen Rider is a true hero.
Saitama is also a good example. When he catches Mumen Rider after he failed to beat the Sea King, all he had to say was "You did fine. Nice fight."
The kind of character that it shows, that he's quite possibly the most powerful being in the universe and he still sees Mumen Rider's effort as valuable.
That's how a high-level Paladin should behave.

I am but a man trying my best to right wrongs, with nothing but my sword, my shield, and my faith that God almighty walks beside me.

youtube.com/watch?v=S2ypHGP3ImU

I actually used this same speech when playing a paladin and fighting a dragon in rise of Tiamat, the other players and dm loved it, also got the last hit on the dragon.

A paladin is someone who does their best for as long as they can stand, because they feel obligated.
Anything else is just so much pointless talk.

There's more than enough information in that image for anyone interested to find it user.

I found it shortly after I posted. I'm just a crossboarder from /a/ and it (at one point) was considered good form to put the title in the filename. It still tickles my 'tisms when people don't.

I paladin the only way I know how. TO DREAM THE IMPOSSIBLE DREAM!

"Nakano Jin'emon constantly said, 'A person who serves when treated kindly by the master is not a retainer. But one who serves when the master is being heartless and unreasonable is a retainer. You should understand this principle well.'"

To Defend: this is The Pact, but when life is scorned and damage done, The Pact is Vengeance!

How to Faggot.jpg

>Serving a disgusting and immoral person just because he outranks you
No wonder Japan went full retard in WW2.

That's why I prefer the musical.

You'd be an awful paladin, then.

>Implying a paladin isn't loyal to God first, God second, God third and worldly authority fourth

>implying your God is anything but a master

It actually is a good principle because the definition of heartless and unreasonable changes from one person to another the retainer should always be loyal for the order to be held. It is the same thing in an army hierarchy really. Your commander might be a total failiure but if you refuse your superiors orders because you think it is wrong the entire structre collapses and there can be no army in the end.

Also this is how i paladin.

i really like the way this guy does it

>Hagakure: a bureaucrats daydreams

Pic related. I feel like people rarely find a way to portray even clerics or paladins as well learned in scripture and very faithful to it; even if they're willing to jump in front of a dragon due to a sense of justice that aligns with their god, they don't seem religious.
Good shit, I was hoping that he wasn't going to get left behind in the old flavor of the month pile.

I read it because I'm joining Trump's military soon. I needed to prepare myself to die somewhere near the South China Sea.

“Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily. Every day when one’s body and mind are at peace, one should meditate upon being ripped apart by arrows, rifles, spears and swords, being carried away by surging waves, being thrown into the midst of a great fire, being struck by lightning, being shaken to death by a great earthquake, falling from thousand-foot cliffs, dying of disease or committing seppuku at the death of one’s master. And every day without fail one should consider himself as dead.”

Long time lurker, english not my first language, so bear with me.
I wanted to ask, if my playstyle as a paladin is a valid one. I try to be understanding and kind to almost everybody I meet (so much that i tried to talk down a naked, bloodied man in the forrest, later it turned out he was a werewolf ,and not the good one), but after repeated failed atempts to estabilish a friendly connection to a NPC (for example, a ships captain, who refuses our help in extremly stupid fashion), I start yelling (IRL and in character) at the NPC's, generally being quite rude to them and renoucing any kind of cooperation with them in reasonable situations (so if by accepting the help of the said NPC my char wont horribly die, i will do it, but grudgingly).
tl;dr > my paladin is half kind hearted dude and half a mouthy and extremly angry type of guy.

Paladins usually aren't loyal to lords

please refer to

>japaboo doesn't realise sucking your manager's dick and respecting your god's will isn't the same thing

Pretty well, apparently.

>all these LE jackasses and LN vigilantes trying to pass themselves off as paladins
I'm not angry, I'm just disappointed.

It's a good principle for organizations that need a clear chain of command and discipline to function, but this seems largely untrue of Paladins, at least in the fantasy sense. The loyalty to a God and set of principles is treated as a very personal thing driven by personal strength of will, not institutional group functioning. Paladins usually operate alone and are judged objectively not by their orders but by their Gods.

This, of course, doesn't have to be the case for all instances, but general thrust of Paladin discussion and analysis has been that blind adherence to a code of words rather than a spirit of ideals to guide your boat by is the wrong way to Paladin.

I like this. So your character acts prim and proper at first, but when the people you are dealing with continue to be assholes, you drop the facade and go full "LISTEN HERE YOU LITTLE SHITSTAIN"? Good stuff.

Well if you didnt approve it you would not have followed that god in the first place anyway. Retort was against the above persons reply to the nakano quote.
But i have to agree that most people try to play the paladins as people who rely on word by word interpretation whereas it is only one of the interpretation methods. It is not that wrong approach but can definetly use some alternatives.

Did Saber even invite her own son (female) to her party?

Yes.

>Dat filename.
Truly. Sayaka is an example of a paladin that couldn't live up to its ideals, mainly because she didn't quite understand what she was fighting for.

The true paladin is the one that, when being hurt, suffering from injustice, and all bad things in the world, thinks "I don't want this for any other person". Sayaka didn't pass that test.

Pic not necessarily related.

Just read that Saturday. Good shit.

I haven't played a paladin in a very long time, but if I were to do so again, I'd probably just play them as a Stoic.

The basic idea behind Stoicism is to cleave to the four basic virtues (Courage, Honesty, Temperance, Wisdom) and to pursue a greater civic duty to better the world around you without regard to either pleasure as a good or pain as an evil, as these are just illusions of the senses that get in the way of pursuing a virtuous existence. You're supposed to accept things that are outside of your control, and try to better what you can. Beyond that, they were also deterministic, and likened our existence to that of a dog being dragged behind a cart, who has the choice either of resisting and carrying on, or going along with it peacefully, but will get dragged behind that cart either way.

plato.stanford.edu/entries/stoicism/

Above is an article from Stanford about the phiosophy, and they're usually a pretty good introduction. Below is Meditations, the personal journal of Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, in which he reflects on his philosophical lessons as a Stoic. It wasn't intended to be a philosophical work (or to be published at all) but is both an important work of the philosophy (for showing how the philosophy works in practice to an extent) and serves as a pretty alright entry-level text to the philosophy.

classics.mit.edu/Antoninus/meditations.html

It's a somewhat dry translation, however. If you enjoy it, I recommend picking up a more modern version.

>It's another "good = nice" faggot
You know what that attitude leads to? Virtue signaling. Look how well that's working out for Germany and Canada. There's nothing more repulsive than a 'nice' person sacrificing others so he can feel good about himself.