We've had characters raised by wolves. By orcs. By dragons...

We've had characters raised by wolves. By orcs. By dragons. But have you ever seen a character was raised by something like pic? How would it even work?

That's where waelocks come from.

Alternatively, me and my imaginary friend Shub-Niggurath.

Orcs and dragons are at least sentient creatures that share fundamentally similar human-like psychology. So are the wolves in the Jungle Book. But this? It could probably feed the baby, but definitely not raise it as it would fail to communicate.

Ever see the movie "mama"?

No. Please elaborate or provide the year of film/Wikipedia link.

Basically a couple little kids get raised for five years by the spirit of an insane mother, get adopted by normal people, people die, and then one of the kids gets turned into moths.

Well if it's not too misshapen to manipulate babies and children and can talk to them it should be ok.

It could but it would go against the entire purpose of the thing. All those other things are earthly and relateable at least somewhat in their mentality. They and their motivations can be understood to some degree even if all they can understand is pure greed or bloodlust. If you make the shoggoth capable of having a mindset to raise a child then something has gone wrong.

>This is your mother for tonight.

A thumbnail? Doesn't seem like it'll work for any STR-based classes...

It depends on how much of a Shoggoth apologist you are. Canonically they're semi-sentient killing machines. Go deeper into "read between the lines land" though, and they're a former slave race who through off the yoke of their oppressors in the most dramatic way possible -- and if the humans of the Miskatonic Antarctic Expedition can come fairly quickly to empathize with Elder Things as the "Men of a former age", it would seem quite possible for a Shoggoth to empathize with the lost, dispossessed, and oppressed of now.

Mechanically, they can create any limb or organ they want so the technicals of child or even infant care are fairly well taken care of.

Do you want warlocks? Because this is how you get warlocks.
Or Elder/Outer god avowed.

In seriousness though, it depends entirely on how 'out there' the sentience of the creature in question is, and how much you play up the nature/nurture divide.

Look up Elder Sister. It was recently serialized

>M-mom, is that you?

Moths you say? I'll have to look into this.

Wait, which version do you mean? The lewd one or the very lewd one?

The slightly less lewd one that pretends to be an actual manga

Link please? reverse image saerch gives me nothing.

>Hideous prolonged shriek
But moooooom!
>squelching noises followed by an unearthly moan
Aw, okay...
>odd chittering and clicking that sound oddly far away
You sure? Okay, you're the best!
>Hissing and screaming
Love you too mom!

Had a character I wanted to run that was essentially this... though not just "lolraisedbyshoggoths"

A magical prodigy, from a family full of powerful magic users, messes up their parents magic experiment with portals, destroying their home, killing their family, and stranding them on an entirely alien plane of existence.

The plane happens to be more or less a part of an eldritch life form that toys with the prodigy for an unspecified amount of time, keeping them alive for a mixture of curiosity, amusement, and sometimes just because it forgot. Eventually sends them back to the prime, albeit deeply psychologically scarred, and also with something that lets it spy on what's going on outside of its plane.

Never got to develop the character much more than that, since DMs don't tend to like having unspecified Elder Things brought into a campaign through a character.

You reminded me of this picture.

>feral child somehow raised by gibbering mouthers
>can speak only in an intensely disturbing glossalalia
>catches prey by crouching low and gibbering as she creeps up on it, then suddenly shooting out her arms to catch it, pulling it back to her mouth, biting it, and sucking blood from the wound
>or swallowing it whole
>no sense of claustrophobia whatsoever, doesn't hestitate to contort her body to slip through small spaces