Think of your real world job, or whatever real world job you are trying to get

Think of your real world job, or whatever real world job you are trying to get.

Got it? Good.

What would the D&D-style, high magic, high fantasy version of you be doing with that job?

What would the job translate to? Anything related to science or technology probably becomes magic-based instead.

I suppose some sort of scribe or clerk? I could see myself working in some kind of mythic telegraph shop that uses Sending to communicate over long distances, helping people get their messages under 25 words (or at least, to as few Sendings as possible). Or a file clerk at the adventurer's guild, keeping track of what quests have been done, which ones still need to be assigned, who'd be well-suited to what. Though as I'm writing these out I'm realizing "comically clumsy" comes baked right into the job description, and I'm not comically clumsy, so I may not be qualified.

Until recently I worked in retail, which I guess would translate to shopkeeper.

>University student
A wizard

Wizard in training, at best.

Depends on what you're studying.

>neet virgin
A wizard

Recycling Constructs and contraptions; and sending the wood, Iron, and other ores to be recycled and remade into new components by the not china empire

What if I don't know what I want to do in life?

>Senior Code Monkey / Team Leader / Tutor
In reality the job is mostly about knowledge of established procedures, obscure/legacy technical knowledge, careful communication with higher powers pleading for time and budget and managing people who range from borderline retarded to obviously smarter than me.

>Warlock / Thrallherd

>Lawyer
That's easy, guess I'll just continue being a Rules Lawyer.

Then you're a farmer. Or possibly a miller.

I suppose I'd be a Cleric.
I don't think my job would exist in a high magic setting though as long as there's a spell to instantly cure insanity.
I would like to live in a world like that.

But there is no such spell for natural insanity.

Wonder what a history major counts for.

Using a crystal ball to see past events, using necromancy to interview the deceased, and doing time travel to actually be there and collect artifacts

Well, then I guess I'm a low-ranking Cleric of Ilmater trying to ease the suffering of the insane.

A network admin translated to high fantasy?

I've not a clue how that'd translate.

Court mage. Doing magic-related jobs for the crown.

>Tech Support
Did you try dismissing you spell and recasting it again?

I was hoping for something more interesting like magical library keeper.

>Program tester and bug finder

I suppose the high magic version involves giving a golem or magical interface complicated requests to document exactly where it breaks down and stops understanding.

Well that works. I was just trying to come up with something if you couldn't.

Chef translates to chef

well, i'll probably be some kind of alchemist/wizard that do things that really shouldn't be done to human, animals and other living beings

Well, as a civil engineer... buildings and roads and whatnot still have got to get built, like they did in historical times. Plausibly magic is employed to help.

Sweet.

>real world job
NEET
>real world job that you are trying to get
None

I'll be the BBEG that's trying to plunge the world back into nothingness

> CompSci student
I dunno, magic is kinda like programming reality right? Wizard? Or like a dude that makes golems or something.

>Accountant for chemical lab.

"Alright then, we need to secure our payment for our previous services that was on credit if we are to afford the pegasus feathers the alchemists need by the end of the week and still have enough left over in petty cash for an emergency, like Percy accidentally melting the culdron."

"I said I was sorry!"

"It was a silver cauldron Percy, silver!"

I am studying biotechnology so I guess something related to living organisms or druidism. Maybe a scholar/wizard/alchemist in training focusing on the application of magic to the living matter and the influence of living matter on magic. Also, making magicked life forms for commercial and industrial use, like silent mandragoras or cows mixed with rust monsters (grazing on nails and junk). Maybe applying planar energies or testing various templates like "celestial" or "fey"?

>Astronomer

I guess that makes me an Astrologer, maybe even a wizard. An astromancer?

>I shall unleash a spell, but only when the stars are right.

>Think of your real world job, or whatever real world job you are trying to get.
Wizard

>What would the D&D-style, high magic, high fantasy version of you be doing with that job?
Scientits.

I am currently a cobbler.

I would still be a cobbler. Or a wizard with a mend cantrip.

>system administrator
I can't think of anything direct.

It would pretty much be working in an area where magic is heavily utilized, and you have a sage in charge of managing magical resources, and fixing any of the fuck ups that those less versed in magic cause when trying to use it.

You mean a biomancer.

>lvl 0 commoner
I would be shit on by the world even more than now.

I guess QA job is way more dangerous in spell development than in software development as you have to survive sudden demons/tornadoes/being turned into frog that come from bugs in spell.
So I'll be either battle mage specialized in protection or a disposable apprentice.

Anyone specialized in using magic items.
> My disintegration wand isn't working!
> Try turning it on and off again and check whether there is enough goat blood in the handle.

But first you have to get out of your Black Castle and TALK TO PEOPLE

Currently baker/part time handyman, gonna be taking classes soon though.

So I guess I make magical dank bread and tinker with shit? I'd be a rad NPC I guess, maybe an inkeeper/repairman.

I would be some sort of super-Mage at an institute of magical learning.

Also required to die to protect my students and give them motivation to be heroic and fight the BBEG.

>Prosthetic Technician

Artificer-

>Anything related to science or technology probably becomes magic-based

Well. ...Cleric?

Data Analyst

I don't know, that's a hard one

Artificers are magic.

That's an abjurationist I believe.

Just become a data analyst, the only thing that changes is the tools. And data analyzed, of course. Remember, OP is asking about a high-magic, high-fantasy world, things like that probably exist there.

Ship clerk.

...Ship clerk.

Fuck.

I paint signs for local inns and shops.
They're probably enchanted with neat moving imagery.

truNEET, living the good life in imagination land. Nothing much, but I did keep my virginity in high school because I hallucinated and attacked her, so I could plausibly rock as a Wilder.

>Current job: Mass transportation of packages and goods.

I suppose I'd be part of a trade company that ships cargo, packages, letters, etc via transports going through different planes of existence to make the travel quicker. I'd be one of the people who not only loads, but also guides the transports back and forth acting as a guard. Make profit, make progress, meet cute extra-planar girls, the work keeps me in good shape. What's not to love?

gas station cashier so seeing as im selling fuel for transport i suppose id be a farmhand on a hay farm

Physicist, theoretical physicist, to be exact.

I'd be one of those wizards who just read and fantasize about awesome spells but never casts anything because that's for dweebs and I'm so much more superior for being above all that.

Fucking City Gaurd

Hope there aren't many murderhobos in my world

>Neet who does nothing but GM roll20games
>And donate blood for money

I'm a storytelling hobo with a pet vampire!
Or maybe a storytelling hobo who is a vampire's pet?

You're a Bard partied with a vampire, obviously

>aspiring to be a game level designer
I shall construct the most amazing dungeon for you, Dark Highness.

Doesn't every world need historians?

>He's not a level designer yet
JLMG and come back when you've taken a level in Game Dev.
Then you may start on the path to glorious dungeon building.

>Translator
I think I'd probably be a translator and scribe.

Illusionist, working on film and television sets.

>nurse
Probably a low level cleric.

>bartender
...Want to hear a tale I heard?

>field surveyor
Literally adventurer, more focused on exploring than murderhoboing. Would be fun desu

>tfw you just want to retreat to your dark lair and read manga but your top henchwoman keeps trying to ride your dick

>Junior abritation associate

Jeeze, resolving disputes between dwarf and elf merchants will be much pain in the ass....

Sometimes it feels like medieval life would be a simpler wife.
>Alright son, I'm a farmer so you're going to become a farmer like me and my father before me and his father before him
>Do you even till, bruh?
>Look, it's our lord! Kneel and pretend to respect him, after he's out of earshot I'll tell him about how the tailor next door fucks his wife.
>Do you know what today is? It's the veneration day of Saint Limpdick, The saint of.... I don't know, lettuce? Whatever, let's get drunk.
>Tfw no qt 3.14 gf? Where did you learn about fractal numbers? That's heresy, son.
>Anyway, here's the daughter of the farmer across the street. Now get to making more babies who can help me out on the farm.
>Holy shit, guess what I just bought? Fuckin' 'taters! We'll never go hungry again!
>What's that, you don't want to get married? You want to take a rake and go fight in a mystical land of brown musclegirls? Whatever, don't drown on your way there.

I work in a factory assembling electronics, so I'd probably be some sort of magical item tinkerer shitting out wands.

>What would the D&D-style, high magic, high fantasy version of you be doing with that job?
>real world job
Low level cleric, a night guardian of a healing temple.
I'd be the NPC that probably gets mortally wounded by the BBEG, lingering only long enough to convey vital information.
My only shot at joining the party is if they expend valuable healing resources to save me then invite my underpowered ass along.
I am fantasy Guy Fleegman.

>whatever real world job you are trying to get.
Let's see: writer, artist, game designer...
Fuck, I think I'd be a bard.

NEETs would just be those weird, quirky hermits who conveniently have some information or items useful for forwarding the campaign plot.

Item store clerk. Woo.

I just need to practice. Give me some low level villains with their low level adventurer archnemeses for starters, probably...
I'll just follow the party around and make one every time they find a new enemy.

A lawyer would bĂȘ something like a cleric i guess. Of Asmodeus.

>Real life job
Security guard

>High fantasy version
Low tier mercenary

Hopefully I roll crits against PCs when they try to kill me.

Currently at uni with the plan being to get into theoretical physics if I can.
So, uh, Wizard in training currently I guess.

I currently work in retail at the registers so I would be an average merchant.
I'm studying to become a business accountant, so that would make me a slightly above average merchant.

Oh, sick.
I'd be a Magitech Engineer, I guess...?

I stock shelves overnight, but how many merchants in high fantasy settings have so much stuff they need to hire people to stock shelves during the evening hours? Am I just doing the same thing but stocking weapons and health potions instead of outdoors stuff and groceries?

>> IT

So, adjusting magical artifacts when they start acting wonky; I guess. Probably a lot more high-risk than in the real world.

I work in a blood bank, so some kind of junior scribe for vampire clerics of a healing god.

My company makes magic items.
I help customers using a very specific and esoteric magic item figure out how to use it and why it isn't working.

God I wish I was making magic myself.

I get to be part of the city guard I guess. Or some mercenary.

>tfw you were being sarcastic once, but your top henchman interpreted it literally and now you own a kingdom, a lizardman village and killed an entire army. Despite not actually wanting too.

>real life

Book seller.

>high fantasy

Magic-book seller.

You become an adventurer.

>Statistician.
Some sort of diviner or oracle, presumably.

I kick robots for Amazon to make them work again. I guess I would be an apprentice in some estranged artificer's automaton laboratory, tending to her creations and pining for her to notice me. She never does.

>Airline pilot
Better hope there are some bigass eagles lying around, because otherwise I'll have to join the navy.

Warlock, Pact of the Great Old One.

Treasurer.

Attorney, so...probably attorney again. Not much change there considering where there are humans there would be law and where there is law there should be a judiciary system.

>studying linguistics
oh god pls no

>university dropout
Bard-
>hermit
Sorcer-
>peasant nobody lineage
NPC
>writer
Level 1 expert, earning about as much in a week as a street beggar or a king's minister.
>translator
There's a spell for that.
>making morons with more money than me appear literate
There's a spell for that.
>preparing texts for publication
There's probably a spell for that.
>'freelance' software QA tester
Golem psychotherapist. Earning about as much in a week as a writer.
>deranged omnisexual
Bard.

>translator
>there's a spell for that
>the scroll is in an unknown language

Are you kidding me? As a linguist I'd get a raging boner at the chance to study the language of sentient crabs, magical beings from outer planes (whose writing tends to crawl out of the page if you're not careful) or immortal beings who have entirely different sets of needs and constraints regarding language. And if I can use magic to contact the astral/mental planes and access their language corpora/thought structures directly, hnnnnng

Read Magic is a cantrip.

Fuck your talent and years of education, a wizard can do it with a level 0 spell.

I would be a not-jew gnome or some shit counting the product sales of a rising beef conglomerate, counting the product loss of dragon attacks.

I'm a baker. So, in most settings i'd be...

A baker.

I guess I'don't either be working in a wood fired or possibly magical oven, and would have the capability to get exotic ingredients, but I think things would probably be pretty close to the same

Life is good when you work in one of the oldest professions.

What would a geologist be? A surveyor?

When I watched Avatar: The Last Airbender, I was super jealous of the earth benders. All they had to do was punch the ground and they could look at the geologic columns as far down as they wanted to go.
Kind of a moot point I guess, since as far as I can tell literally all rock in Avatar world is chert

>chert
I wouldn't take that for granite.

true, that would be fascinating
my first dnd-related thought however was truenamer

>industrial designer

Maybe not a conjurer, but definitely a scribe who works with conjurers.

Although I'm working on a proper engineering degree, so in a couple years I'll be multiclassing into Artificer.