Whats going to trigger the inevitable crash?

put your bets in Veeky Forums

Tether getting shut down by the feds. Every tether holder owning $0 worth of assets. Bitfinex shut down. Panic sells.

Smart contracts and private money and stuff will still thrive, the cat is out of the bag on that one, but normies who have bought Bitcoin because "it magically goes up in price" will lose everything.

sergey becoming leader of the new world order, and outlawing all cryptos bar link

Agree with all of these.

Another possibility is that huge financial institutions and big money have been accumulating bitcoin and pumping the price up only to dump on the normies in a huge money-grab and with the added benefit of having a reason to scare people from ever buying crypto again since their existence depends solely on the dollar.

this

Sweeping federal regulations that basically cripple any crypto-to-fiat transactions.

One of these. Likely the first

tick tock tick tock
Bitfinex

i guess it crash caused by ETFs is possible. a lot of nornies i know bought ETFs cause
> muh you can't beat the index
if i got it right how ETFs work, than it's possible there's a magical limit. if too much money is pumped into ETFs the market volatility increases because the money from those funds isn't bound to a companies shares but to its shares performance.
performance is good -> more money from ETFs -> performance gets better ...
performance is bad -> less money from ETFs -> performance gets worse ...
i heard there are ETFs that work on other ETFs which increasing the volatility even more. what do you think?

Its not gonna crash. Its gonna pump to 50k+ and potentially dump to 25k+ and all you retards will be left with your dick in the dirt

Is bitfinex a US company? How could they get shut down by the feds

while shorting the futures market

fractional reserve lending, inability to pay the interest on the national debt, overinflation, collapse of social security. meanwhile btc does not, and will not give a fuck

Then you think the crash is happening this week?

Maybe when the Winklevoss Bitcoin ETF goes public and all the Wall Street hedge-fund guys start manipulating and short-selling it.

Since Bitcoin doesn't have any actual value and it's impossible to find a valuation, it can feasibly have it's value collapsed. Then the miners give up on Bitcoin, transaction prices and times skyrocket, exchanges freeze up, arbitrage and futures force the prices down on the futures and stock exchanges before anyone can even sell and the actual exchanges, ect.

Impossible to say to sure. It might just keep going up.

I see two big ones:
1. A whale deciding it has enough and liquidating its coins.
When you realize that there has been 16,700,000 mined and that a a meager flash sell of ฿200 is enough to (temporarily) drop the value of bitcoin by one percent, you realize there isn't that much depth in the market.

2. Some government cracking down on that "money laundering" tool. It could be any of the big ones US, Korea, China,...

i'm actually betting on your suggestion.
Expecting this to happen either before or right after Christmas. Would make a nice gift from the financial institutions, wouldn't it?

Normies

They'll all get in and pump up the price, but something will happen that will prompt them to all sell which will crash it hard, maybe even convincing NEETs to sell theirs

*dons tinfoin hat*
i think there's another possibility to consider here. With all of the public statements they have made about shorting the hell out of btc, that is what we are all expecting. In fact, many here are betting on it. Some of you may have even sold a portion of your btc into alts so that you can buy btc back if it dips.
What if...they actually go way long on btc, and they drive the price up to 30, 40, $50k over the next few days. The price of a whole btc is already out of reach for the majority of average people. 20k is half of an average yearly salary in burgerland, way more than most people can afford. If (((they))) crash it, they'll be able to buy huge amounts at super low prices. Thus giving them control over a larger portion of the supply, and de-legitimizing it in the eyes of normies, That would net them a huge cash grab, but they wouldn't likely be able to do it again, as people would be fearful of getting burned a second time.
BUT
If they go long, they can drive the price even further out of the hands of average people. Without causing them to be fearful of investing in it. If it keeps going up, it will still look like a good investment. And that will keep people buying in longer. Making (((them))) even more money in the long term. Just my 2c, idk whats going to happen, maybe some combination of a short and then a long. Maybe no effect on the price, who knows.

Several Billion entering the market. More volatility and higher market cap. Already priced in, we might get a show

Normie here...quick rundown on what is tethering and how could the feds shut it down?

>Implying normies can cash out

Tethering is when you share your connection with another device. Like when you share your phone's connection via Bluetooth. Bitcoin's network heavily relies on this to maintain itself decentralized. The feds could use signal jammers to disallow all tethering between Bitcoin nodes, thus incapacitating the whole system at once. Bitcoin's network would freeze and the price on the exchanges would crash.

>if i got it right how ETFs work, than it's possible there's a magical limit. if too much money is pumped into ETFs the market volatility increases because the money from those funds isn't bound to a companies shares but to its shares performance.
What? In its simplest and most popular form the index fund simply invests in regular shares. It's just a way for people to pool their money so they can more easily diversify. Like, if they wanna invest 1k diversified over 1000 stocks they would have to pay 1000 transaction fees which would probably cost more than their investment, not to mention there's a minimum traded unit for each so they would need way more money also.

I mean, that's just an investment fund in general, but the only difference for an etf is that it is traded on the stock market itself.

>tfw some illiterate bizraeli will actually think this is THE Tether problem.

10/10 bait.

Just shorted 100K

thanks

W E W
E
W

>Then the miners give up on Bitcoin, transaction prices and times skyrocket,
Can this meme die out already?

>it's going to lose 50% of its value but it's not going to crash
what?

Why wouldn't they move to other profitable coins?
How is it a meme

So you're telling me when miners stop mining BTC will crash? Which means that once we reach the mining limit (21billion) BTC will have no value at all?
Am I missing something?

>Which means that once we reach the mining limit (21billion) BTC will have no value at all?
well that supposedly will take more than 100 years with the current hash power but yes, it will either crash or the fees will have to be ridiculously high for anybody keep their miners running instead of mining other coins

Because mining rewards will be replaced by increased transaction fees.

What is the point of bitcoin or any coin for that matter if it only depends on miners to survive? explain this to a brainlet.

>well that supposedly will take more than 100 years with the current hash power but yes, it will either crash or the fees will have to be ridiculously high for anybody keep their miners running instead of mining other coins
You're already paying those fees through the inflaction caused by mining rewards anyway, you're just not noticing it because of the huge speculative bubble.

Other coins don't have this problem, since transactions don't require absurd amount of processing power so you would need a small fraction of the current hash power of BTC even if it was fully adopted as THE world currency.

But that's my point, when all the coins are mined out or perhaps even earlier with the decreased reward that meme of a $5 coffee and $30 fee will be something people will remember fondly, BTC will just be useless for anything other than multimillion dollar transactions which in turn will cause a price crash

>But that's my point, when all the coins are mined out or perhaps even earlier with the decreased reward that meme of a $5 coffee and $30 fee will be something people will remember fondly, BTC will just be useless for anything other than multimillion dollar transactions which in turn will cause a price crash
I'm not disagreeing with you. I think it's a fundamental flaw in crypto currencies. They are inefficient by design which when the speculation subsides will necessarily make transactions too expensive to be practical. I don't see how it can have any real use outside the black market.

>Other coins don't have this problem, since transactions don't require absurd amount of processing power so you would need a small fraction of the current hash power of BTC even if it was fully adopted as THE world currency.
Now I understand what it means when people say BTC is outdated. I am very interested in learning more about the technology, do you recommend any books or websites?
Also thanks!

You're all wrong in different ways. Miners will continue because they'll be paid enough in transaction fees to offset the lack of meaningful block reward. Or at least that was the original idea, but with Lightning Network being implemented, which takes fees away from the miners and gives them to people running the off-chain payment channels, the miners will end up having little to no block reward and little to no fees. So the problem isn't Bitcoin on it's own, it's Lightning Network.

It's wrong though. All of them have this problem. Their security is based on being inefficient.

who knows, but there wont be a general crash for a long time.

Other coins don't suffer from this, not to this extent at least

And they are more vulnerable to attacks for it.

>vulnerable
not really, not in a meaningful way at least
The amount of processing power it would take to brute force it makes it not worthy
Of course all current crypto is dead once we have working quantum computers

>Lightning Network
I'll believe that once it's implemented

Kim Jong McKimChi pants blowing up an EMP over Korea would probably do it...

The security of cryptos is based on the processing power involved in the network. If you have more processing power than the network you can always mount a successful attack on it. Traditional financial transactions require very little computing power (simplifying here ofc but subtracting a number from a number and adding it to another is about as cheap as it gets in terms of computation) so even if the whole world adopts a crypto currency it would still be easy to attack if it had comparably efficient transactions.

K E K
E
K

If tether gets taken down, BTC will actually spike up hard. People will dump their tether into BTC at any price

The tethering is plausible, but you guys are overestimating (((them))) on this wall street crash ordeal.
Wall street doesn't work like a single coordinated unit. These guys have a kind of peace treaty going on, they would slit each other's throat at a moment's notice. The 2008 crash happened because they were stupid, the fact that the government saved them in the end doesn't make them smart.

When the housing bubble was afloat, the general sentiment was great. The banks encouraged taking out loans to buy estate. If Jamie Dimon won't stop fudding btc, that's your signal he's not in on it, and doesn't have a plan to profit off of it if it keeps rising. What big bank fudded housing?

soon there will be a terrorist attack
? idk where
ima psychic

Eventually the blockchain ledger will take up so much memory and will be so long, people couldn't even trade it on a personal computer.

BTC would be traded and mined between huge banks, with huge electricity bills and ever increasing transaction fees. Individuals would transact Bitcoin purchases through ETFs or units representing ownership of bitcoins. Real bitcoins would be held by exchanges and banks.

Eventually, dilution would occur after many, many forks, even with the best supercomputers, transaction times take hours. People start bartering. Whole forests are clear-cut to provide fuel for miners in China. Coal mining and bog-cutting increase. Oil trades at over $300+ a bbl due to energy costs associated with monatary transactions. Brownouts and electricity rationing is mandated. BTC is 180 billion. Riots break out, industrialized society disintegrates as noone can afford to conduct a Bitcoin transaction due to rapidly scarce energy resources.

Or more likely, it's just a speculative bubble for a faddish fake virtual internet Ponzei scheme token that isn't actually worth anything and doesn't clearly have advantages over fiat currency. Should be over in a few months.

>Eventually the blockchain ledger will take up so much memory and will be so long, people couldn't even trade it on a personal computer.
This is not a problem, the history can just be hashed.

Tax cashout causing massive margin call

Here's the solution for the unorganized independent but influential actors

Get smart, brainlet.

The value of Bitcoin can only go up, until it's worth more than a multiple of everything in the world combined. The Elon Musk will own the solar system, then every object inside assigned a pricetag, that won't even come close to the valuation of Bitcoin.

Do some TA.

>The Elon Musk will own the solar system
>Do some TA

Unironically this. The US gov is addicted to spending. They will destroy the economy and bitcoin will save it.

Yup

Only the joobilators pulling the plug on 20/Apr/2018. This is the only trigger. It's all about Christmas in space. Everything else is nonsense. Screencap it.