EDH/Commander General - /edhg/

Special Snowflake Edition

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, so?rted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Thread Topic
Do you play unconventional/unique decks? What is the most interesting one you have?

Other urls found in this thread:

shop.tcgplayer.com/magic/conspiracy-take-the-crown/selvala-heart-of-the-wilds
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/c-c-c-combobreya/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/kamiunism-1/
gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?action=advanced&subtype= ["Eldrazi"]&color= ![C]
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

"Most interesting" is just your generic Lazav steal-your-shit deck

Hey Veeky Forums, I recently got the Gay Greek and Daxos Returned box decks and wanna convert/scrap them into a Jenara deck. Any tips?

Return both decks and purchase 70$ worth of singles instead. What you are doing is ass backwards.

I've got a Ramirez pirate tribal, 99% vorthos. That's pretty unconventional. But the deck is also the worst deck in my meta by far, so I almost never play it.

>Do you play unconventional/unique decks? What is the most interesting one you have?
I'm painfully boring. My most interesting deck is probably Jori-En. It's a bizarre hybrid artifact cantrip planeswalker deck, and depending on how I've tuned it, it either wins by filtering cards with Jori-En/Arcanis until I can cast something cool, or by dropping a few planeswalkers then nuking the board with some MLD.

It's my second best multiplayer deck, after my deceptive Lazav reanimator mill deck, and as someone who usually builds big fancy commanders, it tends to fly under the radar until it's far too late to do anything. I'm running gitaxian probe, ponder, preordain, brainstorm, faithless looting, serum visions and a bunch of other draw cards I can't think of. Looting effects are awesome in this deck because I'm running a ton of recursion and motherfucking Feldon will come out of nowhere to spew wurmcoils everywhere.

I recently pulled a foil nu sevala from just randomly opening a pack, and I'm wondering how to do you build her? Umbral mantle and sword of the paruns kind of stuff? Maybe like cheap fatties like lupine prototype? I seriously don't know

Giant Growths and the likes become rituals in Selvala, you just lack a good wincon. If you can do at instant speed there's Hunting Pack but it's hosed by fogs easily.

>checking prices because a different monoG is something I've always wanted to do
>your foil is worth 80 dollars
SAY WHAT

Conspiracy was not open in large amounts making Here and Leovold fairly expensive

If you could have a non-creature spell as a commander, what would you use? Pic related

Definitely this one, one of my favourite cards ever printed. If not this then probably grip of chaos.

How do YOU win with a Kruphix deck? Do you have multiple wincons? How do you stave off aggro? Protect your combo? DO you combo? Why not scrub?

you are playing the most powerful two colours in EDH, figure it out

They really fucked ovee Conspiracy 2's release. Two weeks before Kaladesh came out, meant most stores only ran 2 events for one of the most fun drafts ever.

Wotc is fucking stupid.

MonoRed handfuckery and burn

I already have. I want to know how other peeps prefer to play.

Me and a friend have recently started playing magic during lunch at work.

We started with a deckbuilder's toolkit each and have been buying boosters here and there, nothing serious like buying singles.

I'm enjoying it and not taking it too seriously at the moment, and we're looking to get into commander now too with a couple of the legendaries that we've pulled from packs.

Can anyone give advice on how to build our collections and make some casual commander decks without spending too much?

You're retarded.

Bargain bins if you have access to LGS, draft junk from other players. Maybe go and play a draft someday with your friend? It's a fun situation, you might win some packs and pull some goodies.

Go to EDHrec, look up your commander, it also has prices listed for cards. Set a budget, and have fun!
Monocolor and 2color are easier to build for on a budget, but you can always build a deck on a budget with a few exceptions.

Any spell with an X in it's mana cost.

Sell it to me instead. I can't find a foil copy anywhere.

>shop.tcgplayer.com/magic/conspiracy-take-the-crown/selvala-heart-of-the-wilds
Found a bunch. Buy one.

>60 trump dollars
>'only' 35 euros on MCM

Thank Deity I live in Europoor

>most interesting deck you have

Kami turbostasis
Nebuchadnezzar/circu lantern control/hand control
Aboshan cephalid tribal
Jin-gitaxias eldrazi (4 blue spells)
Starke act of treason
Yukora/kagemaro creatureless

Umm

There's probably more. ..

>Do you play unconventional/unique decks? What is the most interesting one you have?

Nope. But I don't think I play anything that's, "Oh, it's just U/G goodstuff," either. Mostly because I build commander decks out of 90% what I already have on hand and rarely buy singles.

Ok Im back at it to talk about competitive edh! Anyone here like to play some blisteringly fast combo decks? Looking at Derevi prisony/stax with food chain as a combo finisher. I already have a good bit of the creature and stax pieces but cant afford anything like timetwister so windfall it is!

I have an Ixidor deck that makes people laugh. It's this really janky soft lock deck that aims to make your morphs cost significantly less (Dream Chisel, Cloud Key, Stone Calendar, etc), give them flash (Vedalken Orrery, Leyline of Anticipation, Teferi) and then bounce them continuously (Sunken Hope, Cloudstone Curio, Crystal Shard, Erratic Portal, etc). Then you can reuse your morphs a lot to have a constant stream of counterspells and other denial.

Really fun, pretty casual, but one of my favorite decks. Also it's nearly all foil minus a couple of oddball cards (missing Equilibrium and Temple of the False God).

That sounds fun as hell. People don't get annoyed that your commander flips their creatures?

Anyone have experience with Dreamborn Muse in Dimir Mill?
Just found out about her, wondering if its worth including.

I played her in Sidisi and people were usually pretty fast to kill her because she seems scary. Eventually cut her when my meta spiked but if you have a chill meta then yeah man

>Do you play unconventional/unique decks? What is the most interesting one you have
Mistform Ultimus tribal?

Not super unconventional but PSZ counters matter as opposed to UG goodstuff and DEN that I've seen.

>Do you play unconventional/unique decks? What is the most interesting one you have

Non-degenerate Animar using almost entirely Morph creatures. Very fun, psychologically. Also very fun to win by killing people with 9/9 morph creatures.

Well Ixidor only turns face down creatures face up and it's not like my opponents play a lot of morphs.

I think he was thinking Ixidron, but he isn't even legendary.

Yeah, I was thinking of Ixidron, my bad.

A month ago I was confident I was finished with tweaking my Breya deck, but as of now I'm still coming up with ways to improve. who else knows that feel?

I'm currently looking to add winter orb and a way to tap and untap it reliably to hinder my opponents. I'm considering dross scorpion but I'd like to reduce my creature count.
Do you have any suggestions?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/c-c-c-combobreya/

S'all good. I always call the card "No Mercy" by the name Death Match despite running both of them I'm various decks. My brain just connects the dots in a stupid way

You have a Kami turbostasis deck? If it's not a bother, could you maybe take a look at mine? I'm not sure if it's actually any good, since I kinda juat threw staples together.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/kamiunism-1/

I'm retarded.

4c has space for a lot of great interactions, it's the commanders with most space for tweaking.

>Competitive EDH

Food chain + eternal scourge = infinite any-color mana

Idiot.
Pull out the most interesting cards to you. Stick them in a Jenara deck. Simple.

Since Commander is where Wizards adds new Magus cards (Magus of the Wheel and Will), what other strong spells could possibly get put on a body in future sets?

Shahrazad.

Magus of the Worldfire

Yes, same with misthollow Gryphon. Legacy found this out a long time ago.

DELET
Magus of the Balance
Magus of the Ancestors
Magus of the Mists

Magus of the Biorhythm, even though we already have one in Shaman of Forgotten Ways.
Magus of the Bargain, but lol.

magus of force of will

Magus of the Cradle
Magus of the Academy

>Mists
Pendrell or Necrogen? The first will probably never happen, unless maybe they recolor it.

>Magus of the Spiral
Time Spiral

He probably meant Constant Mists.

We already have Magus of the Tabernacle. They wouldn't print another magus with the same effect as another, I think.

>The first will probably never happen
Magus of the Tabernacle exists-- it's the same thing.

But Fog is the classic version of that. Constant Mists is more complicated.

That being said, what are some good repeatable Fog effects in EDH besides Constant Mists? I'm trying to do a bit more control in my Edric deck for who gets to draw because I've been getting fucked over by it lately.

Which was printed -- Jesus Christ
>Planar Chaos is the forty-first Magic expansion and was released in February 2007 as the second set in the Time Spiral block
Planar Chaos was a fucking decade ago

is there any way for mono green to deal with the 50000 board wipes everybody runs in edh or should i just resign myself to misery

>it was printed a while ago
... so? He asked about new magi, and magus of the Tabernacle isn't a new magi.

resign yourself to misery
>play avenger of zendikar
>blasphemous act

Spore frog fits the theme.

How about giving your shit indestructible or something. Like maybe with a card called Eldrazi Monument.

>what is Caller of the Claw
>what is Fresh Meat

Heroic intervention is dirt cheap.

thanks guys

Heroic Intervention, Eldrazi Monument, Caller of the Claw, Fresh Meat, Fecundity, Ulvenwald Observer if your creatures are big enough

Anyone got any spicy tech for this glorious bastard?

Words of Wisdom + Well of Dreams

If I have a 2/2 with a +1/+1 counter on it and my opponent shocks it, will it then die if I remove the +1/+1 counter in the same turn?

yes

>what are some good repeatable Fog effects in EDH besides Constant Mists?
Spike weaver I guess, pretty frail but it has three "charges" and if you can bounce it back to your hand or just flicker it it's sort of repeatable

Haze Frog would work better with flickering I guess

Sorry, meant Words of Worship and Well of Lost Dreams.

That dude's an all-star in Newzuri, Atraxa, or Ghave.

Sorry man I just dont get this mentality. Its a play style my friends and I enjoy.

Not you personally, but a lot of people into cEDH just seem to be douchebags, at least at my LGS. Like I make decks that aim to win and be competitive but I like to have fun with them and play janky cards and synergies.

Luckily Dual Commander has satisfied the appetite for these doucheholes and that can often be segregated to their own, awful format.

Really Id just love to play canadian highlander cause I love brewing singleton but playing with powerful cards. EDH is good cause my local meta is already pretty spiky. I like fun to but fun to me is assembling a a route to get my combo out asap. To each their own.

Understandably, and most of the obnoxious spikes at my meta are annoying for a variety of reasons, their playstyles not really one of them.

>friend has a 100% nekusar deck
F U N

I like to look at it as like games to play over a big cup of coffee. I really fucking hate the 2 hour long slugfests where the chaos player recurs thieves auction every turn and the karador player wipes the board every fucking turn. Thats not fun to me. If I came jam like 3 games with my buddy who plays combo marath, that to me is way more fun. Plus powerful cards are sweet to play with.

Exactly. It wouldn't be printed these days.

Which legendary creature got your attention and what kind of style do you like playing?

In supplementary sets? It sure would be. They printed TNN for Christ's sake. They don't care much for supplementary product since it skips standard.

You know as well as I that TNN was a mistake.

Rule question:
>player 1's first main phase
>player 1 wants to move into combat and therefore passes priority
>player 2 casts an instant that does some shit to player 1's board state
>the spell fully resolves
>with the new board state in mind, player 1 wants to cast a sorcery before entering combat

Is this possible? Does player 1 get another sorcery-speed priority in his main phase if someone interrupts the transition away from the phase?

>Do you play unconvential/unique decks?
Does building and playing colorless even count these days? I remember the idea being pretty crazy in a time before OGW gave colorless decks some basic lands, but I don't know if it really counts anymore.

Doesn't matter if it's a mistake. It got printed, and with printing Magus of the Will, I'm sure they would make Magus of the Tabernacle, considering it isn't even paticularly strong outside of white's color pie (Kataki)

>tfw no domain Eldrazi commander for the colored creatures from ZEN2

Yes. A phase ends when each player passes priority in succession.

Nah, it's fine.

I have a Roon deck that's actually Noyan Dar + Green. It doesn't run any of the usual UGx goodstuff and still does pretty well. Probably my most unique deck.

There were colored eldrazi in RotE. Does everyone forget this?

However, keep in mind you can cast spells during the beginning of combat step, after passing out of the main phase but before attackers are declared.

Yes I know it exists. The argument was that it wouldn't get printed nowadays. C'mon son.

Is green a good choice to include with Noyan Dar? Since his focus is spell slinging wouldn't Black or Red give better support?

Also I like that idea of subcommanders that have extra color to help like the five-colored Zada deck with Tazri at the helm. What other combinations like that can be made?

gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?action=advanced&subtype= ["Eldrazi"]&color= ![C]

Yeah, which of these were you planning on running as your commander, again?