/STG/ - Star Trek General

Huge Victory for the Good Guys Edition
I thought OOP was going to post this and so waited way too long sub-edition

previous thread A thread for discussing the Star Trek franchise and its various tabletop iterations.

Possible topics include Star Trek Adventures - the new rpg being produced by Modiphius - and WizKids’ Star Trek: Attack Wing miniatures game, as well as the previous rpgs produced by FASA, Last Unicorn Games and Decipher, the Starfleet Battles Universe, and Star Trek in general.

Game Resources

Star Trek Adventures, Modiphius’ 2d20 RPG
-Official Modiphius Page
>modiphius.com/star-trek.html
Playtest Materials (via Biff Tannen)
>mediafire.com/folder/36m6c22co6y5m/Modiphius Star Trek Adventures

Older Licensed RPGs (FASA, Last Unicorn Games and Decipher)
>pastebin.com/ndCz650p

Other (Unlicensed) RPGS (Far Trek + Lasers and Feelings)
>pastebin.com/uzW5tPwS

WizKids’ Star Trek: Attack Wing Miniatures Game
-Official WizKids Page (Rules and Player Resources)
>wizkids.com/attackwing/star-trek-attack-wing/

Lore Resources

Memory Alpha - Canon wiki
>en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Portal:Main

Memory Beta - Noncanon wiki for licensed Star Trek works
>memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Fan Sites - Analysis of episodes, information on ships, technobabble and more
>pastebin.com/mxLWAPXF

Star Trek Maps - Based on the Star Trek Star Charts, updated and corrected
>startrekmap.com/index.html

/stg/ Homebrew Content
>pastebin.com/H1FL1UyP

I spent about half a minute waiting for the gif to load before actually checking the image format, rip

Best ship, preparing for ramming speed.

That's a good shot of the Steamrunner. We don't get a lot of good shots of best ship, thanks for posting one.

Even his ship gets Worfed.

See that's confusing cause I can't see where the Nebula class ship is in that picture. I think you may have posted the incorrect image, user.

>nebula
>dorf galaxy with foetal alcohol syndrome

>Compact, functional design
>The first multi-mission ship to be a worthy successor to the Miranda
>much less lavish interior than the galaxy class, almost like it's a military vessel or something

Sorry, user, I ain't buying what you're selling

>wanting military aesthetics in Starfleet
>having to buy something
>compared to the Miranda, dogshit in ship form
No nigger, you are the faggot.

>bitches about military aesthetic in the same post he praises the Miranda
>the Miranda, a ship from the WoK era of a militarised Starfleet

Solid argument there buddy.

>it's gonna be one of those threads.

Uh, I literally called the Miranda dogshit in ship form. Not high praise, fool. Get your comebacks straight.

Not my fault that a Nebulafag decided to shit up the thread. Just trying to help him out.

funposting is fun

Muh Talax-ilzay

>I thought OOP was going to post this and so waited way too long sub-edition

Sorry if I wasn't clear on that. I made sure to put the new op towards the end of the last thread so it would get used even if I wasn't around to create the new thread (which, it turns out, I wasn't).

Fantastic 'Edition' btw.

>galaxy with fetal alcohol syndrome

Isn't that redundant?

Although I actually -do- like the Nebula. It's not best ship though.

>I literally called the Miranda dogshit in ship form

You shut your whore mouth, boy

No, the galaxy's just a straight up downie

Right? Steamrunner is best girl.

Who needs best ship? What you really want is comfiest ship.

>comfiest ship
>tiny shitty 80-man budget intrepid
>only made for planetary research and occasional supply runs
>comfy
still a beaut, just not comfy in the slightest

That's hilarious- for as long as I can remember I've actually thought of the Galaxy-class as looking like a ship with Down's Syndrome. I thought fetal alcohol syndrome was close enough, though, so I didn't bother to change it when I responded.

Actually, now that I really think about it the term 'hydrocephalic' is what really comes to mind. That oversized, misshapen saucer section.

What would you describe as comfiest, then?

did someone say best ship?

>smol and cute
>nacelle fins
>lil slot for the secondary deflector
if the nova isn't even a candidate for being your shipfu, you have shit taste

I really don't get the hate that some people have for the Galaxy class. She's not the prettiest ship in the fleet, sure, but she follows the general design MO of Starfleets exploration cruisers.

You know it
I know it
Deep down everyone knows it
Galaxy class from the TNG (not DS9, not Movie) is the comfiest, bestest ship

>dorf galaxy
It's funny because the nebbie was literally just a kitbash of galaxy parts when they needed a new design on short notice

I'm quite partial to this one, but for RP reasons.

dumping ships

The main ship we had seen before that was the Connie. After that it was the Excelsior(?). Both of those are better proportioned than the top heavy, overstuffed Galaxy.

Sovereign was a massive step forwards in terms of design. It took all the good shit from Intrepid, all the good shit from Connie and made something not shit out of it.

Also it's not a cruise liner with, for some reason, a bunch of children being used as meat shields.

I have no idea what the fuck this is but I want one.

What are these and how do

Just make sure you stay out of the jeffries tubes, m'kay?

I don't see much common lineage between the Sovereign and Connie, to be honest. No more than between the Connie and any other star-fleet cruiser anyway. The proportions are entirely different, the general shape and colour scheme don't match up. The only thing that comes to mind is that both of them have circular deflector dishes.

my STO RP fleet ships. All of the ships are screenshots from STO

Sovereign always looked more like a very modernized Excelsior-class to me.

I mean the show-esque intros - was that from STO as well?

nah that's someone in the fleet who is a graphic designer for a living.

Oh fuck yes.

That's the Kingdom of Dave.

Nobody trespasses in the realm of Innatubes.

Not him, but damn, those are pretty

I'll post some more cool stuff when I get off work.

>Nova class

>Bellerophon

>has objectively best pylons and arguably best secondary hull out of all the variants (unless you prefer cochrane tacticool).
>combine that with vanilla intrepid or discovery saucer and nacelles to taste
10/10 shipfu

it's a science ship and uses the Intrepid bridge

>vanilla intrepid anything
>especially the ugly nacelles
Bellerophon is sexiest ship in the game. Too bad it's stuck with Pathfinder stats.

Say what you like about it, but all of the saucer options other than vanilla are literal congealed vomit.
I meant pick your own nacelles to taste, though.

(me)
Also, pathfinder stats? I've made a pretty comfy drain build out of it - not going to be breaking any DPS records, but perfectly punchy for a relative newbie to Lv60

>got new computer
>will now have to re-download STO
oh that can't be too bad, a few GB and---
>24 GB
oh fuck me, at the very least the game will look fucking beautiful when it's done

aaaand now I'm done for real. my brain is barely functional after being up till 5 AM for our session last night.

hope I didn't shit up the thread.

Slap another 4 or 5GB on top of that if you don't want on-demand patching to have to spend 5 minutes downloading shit every time you change maps

Alright, how would you go about fixing the Kazon. I feel like a lot of the right pieces are there already but they just didn't get the sort of stories they needed to be an engaging enemy.

I don't know what you lot all whine about, I've gotten a couple dozen of these every year...

Firstly, I'd give them a bit of a redesign. The head plate thing was... novel but it made them look a tad ridiculous. Perhaps instead some sort of headdress, worn as a symbol of status.

Next I would combine their cultural backstory with the Malon and the Vaudwaar. So, up until about a century ago, the Kazon were hot shit. They ruled an empire that spanned half the quadrant. The Talaxians, Vidiians, Ocampans and whoever the fuck else was around were servants and subjects to the great Majes. Then, as happens to all empires, they became decadent and lazy. Eventually their proud Empire fell to ruins and the various clans scattered, culminating in the destruction of the Kazon home world.

Now, without access to the technology they had at their height, the operate powerful, but haphazard, ships that produce dangerous amounts of Theta radiation, poisoning entire systems in their long and bitter war against their former servants and against each other.

Think something along the lines of the Mongolian hordes after the death of the last Khagann. Powerful and dangerous, yes, but nothing but a pale shadow of their former magnificence.

Now, as Voyager traverses their broken empire. A bold young leader takes to the field and seeks to restore the Kazon to mastery of the quadrant. At first he is a friend to Voyager, saving it's crew from the vidiians, but it soon becomes clear that he is a monster and, as soon as he has no further use for the Starfleet crew, he will slaughter them and turn Voyager into his personal weapon of conquest.

Could anyone stop them if they banded together?

Yes, anyone who left them alone long enough to implode.

Bakas don't know about increasing their mouse sensitivity.

>Finished ENT
>don't want to watch Voyager
>Babylon 5 isn't streaming anywhere
>Stargate feels really fucking meh

Space scifi is really letting me down.

Touche.

Damn that's a nice ship.

Usually I just love the FUK HUEJ ships like But the Nova class ships just look so fucking fun.

My only gripe is the stupid looking nacelle fins, but that's just me being petty.

How I wish the new Star Trek series was going to be set on one of those during the rebuilding post DS9.

>Also it's not a cruise liner with, for some reason, a bunch of children being used as meat shields
Was there ever a reason why there were a bunch of children on board a ship whose mission was to explore the dangerous unknown?

Considering that the hydrocephalic Enterprise had the exact same mission as the old Connies it seems beyond incompetent. Especially when you look at the survival rate of all the Constitution.

I mean there's accidentally putting kids in danger and then there's purposely assigning them as passengers on suicide missions.

The more cynical part of me wants to say that it was a "if you screw up your children die" type incentive but surely Starfleet wouldn't be so Romulan.

Shit yeah, she is. Dat Spoiler.

No the Star Fleet guys are just too commie utopia obsessed to see that shit can go wrong and will go wrong when you poke the unknown. It should have been a colony ship really where the crew with family were just in travel most of the time. Not permanent crew on long tours that's what was so stupid about it not crew with family.

i liked sisko a lot but i think his actor tried to ham him up like shatner to kirk

It's representative of the arrogance/ignorance that Starfleet had developed. Despite having fought numerous wars, post Khitomer, they haven't been properly challenged.

We know that it's a recent development, as Picard is surprised by the notion, not to mention annoyed. So I'd say the the Enterprise-D was the first deep space vessel to implement it, seeing as she's the flagship. Space stations have likely had it for some time prior. After the Enterprise they began rolling out civilian residency to other ships, until Wolf 359 gave them pause and they began to reconsider that policy. After the Dominion War, absolutely no family are allowed on starships.

Starfleet had become a lot bigger by TNG and it was possible for ships to spend years away from the core Federation worlds during a tour of duty. Starfleet realised that this could have a profoundly negative impact on the crew as they are required to potentially leave spouses and children for a decade. So Starfleet came up with the idea of allowing a contingent of civilians on board, as a way for family-oriented crew members to avoid the hardship of separation.

You know what's worse for morale than not seeing family for years at a time?

Watching your family get killed.

Well in that case there's pretty good odds that you're dead or otherwise incapacitated from duty, so the point is kind of moot, isn't it? Being entirely cynical, Starfleet command could reasonably expect most of their crew to give their lives before allowing civilians to come to harm.

It was a peacetime decision, applied to a Federation that no longer felt threatened by its neighbours. In a way it was a demonstration of supreme arrogance.
"Hey there, Spoonheads. We put a bunch of helpless civilians on board a ship. Why don't you just destroy it? Oh wait, you can't? Your most powerful vessels can't even take out a ship that has more daycares than torpedo launchers? How embarrassing for you."

I mean, yeah, that would be ideal.

>In a way it was a demonstration of supreme arrogance.
That goes all the way back to the TOS era at least, The UFP have always been full of themselves and think all worlds they can colonize belong to them if there isn't a sign that says 'Property of' somewhere on it. It happened in 'Arena' and even the Feds by the end of it thought they could have been in the wrong. I really hate the way Feds do expansion of territory, it is totally not an 'enlightened' way of doing it.

>better proportioned
By what metric? There's no specific proportioning rule via a vis starships so you can't really make claims like that. You can certainly have your opinion, but don't try to play it off like you have hard evidence to support it.

By the metric of not looking like it has water on the brain.

So you think ships look like people?

I think both ships and people can be ugly.

But specifically, you give them human attributes.

Star Trek in the POV of cadets and ensigns. Ensign qt like Ezri but not slurry.

*slutty

>There's no specific proportioning rule via a vis starships

Actually there can be several. The Golden Ratio is a pretty good one but not the only option. But much like any other object design like architecture, there's a bunch of mathematical principles that can be applied to work out appropriate proportioning that the human brain registers as good more often than not.

I believe the Ent-D was designed with this in mind, but for many people they chose the wrong proportions to combine; namely the over-large primary hull. Much like the original Enterprise looks better with swept nacelle pylons than it does the straight ones despite the appropriate proportioning.

So user could you do a breakdown of the newest ship or know of a person to have done it already? I would like ton know just have off this thing looks is just not a me thing. Thanks

well...yeah, that's basically it.

I might have a go at it. And it's really not just you, a lot of people HATE how that thing looks. Though the colouration is well received.

>that horrible combination of hard edges and curves
>that massive flat surface with literally no detail
>those marker pen nacelles

Not that user but I'm gonna take a crack at it. Because what would the internet be without unsolicited opinions.

So the ship actually doesn't look terrible from a side profile. But that's mainly down to the fact that you don't actually get much of an idea of the ship's real design from it. Perhaps its just a result of how my brain works but I can see a much better design hiding in the side profile. That being said, any other angle of the ship makes it immediately clear what her principle issues are.

Namely, her saucer and stardrive sections are incongruent, her stardrive section is flat and she doesn't know what she wants to be. Let me explain.

1: Take any major Starfleet, Exploration Cruiser design in Trek. Now lets split that design in half at the neck or most likely breaking point between saucer and stardrive. You'll still see a clear design similarity. The Connie's saucer is clearly spartan, like it's star drive, the flowing curves of the Galaxy makes it organically click together, the Intrepid flows perfectly. If you cut out the Discovery's neck. There is nothing to link the 2 sections, design wise. The Saucer looks like it would fit better on a proto-Excelsior while the stardrive looks like it should have some sort of wedge design built back over it's wingspan.

2:Why is the Stardrive flat? No other ship has this. Hell, not even the original McQuarry artwork has it flat. By making the nacelles flush with the stardrive, they end up looking more like oversized stabilisers.

3: The Engines are clearly NX era. The Saucer looks like it could be TOS era and the stardrive looks to be WoK era. The Ship has 3 separate aesthetics at work simultaniously and it suffers for it.

...Stardrive?

The name given to the engineering hull in TNG. When talking about separating the ship, or problems effecting one of the hulls the referred to them as the Saucer and Stardrive sections.

I think he means the engineering section/secondary hull.