Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

Have you ever played an evil game? How did it go?

Unified /pfg/ link repository: pastebin.com/hAfKSnWW

Avowed Playtest 1:
drive.google.com/open?id=0B5HkyGRtGZy3SWVhdWFBWERWWjg
Avowed Playtest 2: docs.google.com/document/d/1rV7kaF9JL2gw9xQalkEnlEDL9WXtbsaCqNABm_pLIgc/edit?usp=sharing
Malefex Playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/1W3LrE8WyIxxYRr8d9dHsWioeUk_-HZaSMqVWRnzc9Fc/edit?usp=sharing

Spheres of Might previews:
Part 1: docs.google.com/document/d/1aLaYQEFAWU4zQBx58boJPPaySLgJc0Emmw9eKyIJeGI/
Part 2: docs.google.com/document/d/1pyLq03W2ju58PcKOUq5YXoFowf_weBNzuWtjCMdINXk/edit
Part 3: docs.google.com/document/d/1-LAt9Ti5pcnvHY4KnFRuItCjqtGM-YJC5r_0zXiKKUk/edit

Other urls found in this thread:

app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/67969/when-the-sun-falls
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Shit, forgot
Last thread

KEEP YOUR GODDAMN CHILDREN SAFE WHILE YOU ADVENTURE WITH THEM, THEY'RE NOT EQUIPMENT EXTENSIONS

Right now I'm playing the party "leader" and face, although my character is reluctant to consider himself the former.

I'm trying to encourage the party to gather some kind of formation in combat to help protect squishier players while exposing our front-liners to enemies. I know you can do the loose "melee front, ranged/caster in the back" motif, but that is far from perfect.

Does anyone have any good examples of party formations that we can adopt to keep our shit together? On more than one occasion we've been a bit spread out and exposed/flanked (in the literal sense, not the game sense).

Why do adventurers have children?

Two

In one, my character is still LN and is trying to become the voice of self-restraint for the group.

In the other, my character's a NE gloryhound mercenary that might just go over to LE due to his 'survival first' over 'reporting to authority' having been partly responsible for the party being about to engage a very dangerous encounter.

Post unpopular opinions.

I really like Akasha, both its flavor and its mechanics.

to the people arguing about whether ability modifiers stack or not:
if they're not explicitly typed, then they don't stack.
If one has a type and the other doesn't, or they both have different types, then they stack.
See for linked citations.

3pp is as unbalanced if not more so than Paizo's own stuff, which is why I would rather ban 3pp stuff from games because I can work around the imbalances of the core game

I really dislike gestalt. I used to think it was neat but now it is just a chore to do.

Is disliking PoW still considered unpopular?

Because they don't adventure alone and there happen to be adventurers of both sexes. Put down as much legislation as you want, workplace relationships will always happen.

I'm not big on gestalt either, it's so tiring.

Also working to add more utility talents to spheres, things like shadowboxing and read the rhythm should help with that.

No. I'd rather just use ToB every time.

user, that's not an unpopular opinion
That's just being factually incorrect.

not really, not its popular to hate it and praise SoM as the new savior of Martials

So for the Assassins game is it too odd of a backstory to have my assassin only recently arrive on Golarion?

The idea is he lived on Somal, Golrion's Moon, in the City of the Faceless. He recently scrounged up enough money by raiding the moon scar to purchase a Greater Teleport off the moon down to Golarion.

His entire back story would have been in the weird halls of the penal colony in and out of half-fiend 'entertainment' houses doing dirty work for the abyssal folks there. The City of the Faceless seems like it'd be a rough place.

It would also be how he got his symbiote, during a trip into the Moonscar he would have been infected.

Does that sound too stupid?

If They didn't want the bonus to stack, they should have made it typed.

As is, that FAQ reads "we fucked up and don't want to admit it, so we'll claim untyped bonuses weren't explicitly intended to stack instead of telling players to stop trying to cheese".

I honestly enjoy 1pp-only games
Fuck CRB-only though

please stop making greentext and comments at me
argue at each other
I'm not the earlier guy and am just putting the rules out in front of everyone so they can see that if one bonus has a type and one doesn't they do in fact explicitly stack

So! How was your weekend, /pfg/? Do anything fun or exciting, game-related or otherwise?

I had assumed that the person dragging it into the new thread was the person making wild, bullshit claims. That was not in fact the case, so my bad. At the same time, why bother pulling shit to the new thread when it's wrapped up on the old one?

Dragongame has actually started.

So that's neat.

Game I joined recently had the DM absent for the two out of the first three sessions, so not a whole lot.

Because they want someone to carry on their legacy, same as anyone else.

Unless of course they're Tieflings who swear vows of celibacy to avoid passing on their tainted blood to the next generation.

I actually like Golarion.

I've not played an Evil game yet.

well, in case you didn't see it and moved to the new thread
I had hoped it would eludicate and clear up any misunderstanding or doubt of the rules that the other guy had and you needing to look it up
apologies that it seemed to be drawing your ire as opposed to helping clear the air

> Rubio would probably rub Corwin the wrong way

Nah, Corwin's seen some shit, but he still loves tales of adventure and heroism as much as anyone; because that's what war is truly like.

His experience must have been abnormal; they wouldn't make war sound cool and shit if it really sucked? Would they?

I hate familiars, animal companions, summons... I have enough to manage with my own character now you want me to keep track of 2/3 to a whole other character? Fuuuuck that.

Seems to me like Corwin and Casimir might get along real well, considering they've both seen combat and know what it means to be on the battlefield.

For those of you who missed the new game in the last thread.
app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/67969/when-the-sun-falls

Started up the two RotJR PbPs. Now I just have to keep consistently posting instead of just moping on Veeky Forums after work.

Has he fixed stupid character creation rules yet?

They're not stupid.

Fastest pbp I have ever played was one post a day minimum, you should be fine.

Ooh, that's so exciting! Has anything cool happened yet? Tell us! Tell us!

You are right they are outright moronic and show a very shallow understanding of the game and how to enforce balance and forcing anyone wanting to get into the game in earnest to make four different characters in order to hopefully do one archetype the best, or to gamble on being the best in one specific archetype. How do you consider this reasonable design?

Any thoughts on this?

Yeah, but I haven't posted today, and now my players know I'm procrastinating!
Just some introductions.
Essie and Omza are chatting, Amandia's listening to a story from Shizuka, Kyler is in awe of the crowd. Shoarn hasn't posted yet.
Ossana and Beriaden had a conversation - they knew each other from Magnimar. Shanna's chilling on a roof, Takaonna's hanging out with the crowd, Nico's making a delivery to an inn.

One application per player. I don't think the GM wants everybody applying for every slot. I think they want people applying for one.

That is even worse.

Then don't apply, fuckface.

I was not planning to unless those stupid rules changed. Hence asking.

That's so sweet! Sounds like everyone is having fun expressing their characters and their personalities. I hope the same could be said of the upcoming sessions!

How many iterations have your characters gone through?

Onryou used to be part of a traveling exorcist team that got ripped to shreds by a powerful demonic cat. She then limped into varisia training in martial arts to try to prevent that from ever happening again.

I'm honestly kinda disappointed Rubio and Omza didn't end up getting in on the same party. Would have been fun to see the love triangle play out.

The one application wasn't earlier, until it was pointed out that you had to write 4 characters to have a chance.

That said, he's now just changed it to encourage 11th hour applications. There's no reason to apply until the last second, because you have a better chance if you apply in the least-wanted slot. Doesn't matter if you want to defend it, it's pretty awful for anyone who wishes to actually play.

Oh hush, I want to play Guts and Ranger and I will apply to both.

Lookin' kinda Mileena there.

I used something similar to Rubio in an urban game, but ducked out early before he really got rolling. Not a great loss, the GM was kind of a dick.

Part of the original reference was Mileena Maw. I even asked for it. Odd how the picture i use more ended up not having it. at least not as prominent.

Then do so close to the deadline? I'm just saying. His system has encouraged you to hold your cards until the end. If you don't show your hand until he has to pick, then no one can try to pull the rug out from under you. He's actively encouraged being a shitbag. Embrace it.

This is your reminder that if you want SoM to be a book where martials actually get nice and/or impressive things out of combat at high levels, leave a comment on the doc to say so. People are already coming out of the woodwork on that doc to stop martials from having nice things.

Are you implying I'm not able to beat even later applicants due to merit?

Posting pic related for what a level 15 martial character should be like.

I'm saying you have a better chance if you see all of the competition first. You're basically being handed the option to look at your opponent's playbook.
If you think that you can outwrite literally anyone else, regardless of applicant, experience or skill, go for it.
But I somehow doubt it.

Also pic related: Beowulf swimming for seven days and nights across the open ocean and killing nine sea monsters on the way, just to win a bet.

I thought Thor was a woman?

No, that was Thor, not Thor.

So I should never apply to any game ever because other people will read my application and improve on it? user please.

I'm new to this, how do DEX characters actually deal damage?

I just want to be able to turn inside out when I rage and throw spears from between my toes.

Either massive amounts of attacks (gets fucked over by DR unless you're an archer, then you get Clustered Shots), or a way to get dex to damage, like the Unchained Rogue's Finesse Training.

Also pic related: Heracles redirecting the course of a mighty river in a single day to clean out the Augean stables.

No, because not every game has absurd requirements, where two similar characters cannot be in the same party, because the GM is anal.

This game, in specific, encourages that though. At no point am I ever referring to talking about a grander scope than this game. Or any game that says "I have these 4 slots. These are your creation rules for each slot. I have types. If you fulfill my types, you probably get in. BUT, you can only apply to one of them!"

>I'm new to this, how do DEX characters actually deal damage?
In particular, if your DM allows 3rd party feats, Deadly Agility from Path of War gives dex to damage with no frills.

Other than that, look elsewhere for sources of damage like sneak attack.

>Thor, not Whor

Fixed.

>I just want to be able to turn inside out when I rage and throw spears from between my toes.

Then let the authors of the SoM preview doc know that!

What options are open to you?

All Paizo. I'm trying to make a Goblin Slayer themed around Don Quixote.

Aren't there like seven Captain Americas?

Isn't Captain Britain a proud Muslim woman with a hijab and wielding Excalibur?

Uhh, excuse me? Hercules and Beowulf were MYTHIC, not MARTIAL.

Wait hold on, do you people actually consider teiflings to be monster girls?

No no, the other kind of Goblin Slayer.

>Aren't there like seven Captain Americas?

Yes.

>Isn't Captain Britain a proud Muslim woman with a hijab and wielding Excalibur?

Yes. That's not the same person as Captain Britain, whoever, who is a muscled tall white guy.

(Comics do this kind of reusing names crap constantly.)

>Beowulf
>mythic

No, he was just an incredibly competent and powerful warrior. There was nothing metaphysically special or divine or godly or whatever about him. He was just super badass.

I wear metal shirts to every game because I heard that it's a red flag and I want to warn people I am a that guy.

He was Mythic, user. Explicit.

Grendel is statted in Pathfinder and he's a Mythic foe.

Alright for paizo melee finesse damage you have vigilante, unchained rogue, or feat chains with very specific weapons, you also will want to take, Piranha Strike, vigilante will be your best bet if you want to do damage, as their finesse option well not giving you dex to damage will give you class level to damage instead. Unchained rogue will give you dex and a half damage on weapons you two hand however. And Piranha Strike is your version of power attack.

Which Captain Britain is more representative of Captain Britain or even more popular?

Because from the news it seems like the Muslim girl's the new "true" Captain.

user... Why are you playing a goblin.

Why the hell should I care about what Paizo thinks martials should be able to do?

You don't have to Mythic to kill Mythic things. You just have to be super hardcore.

I actually can't load the preview docs because my shitty laptop will burst into flames.

Does adamantine overcome Dr/mythic?

Steal the computer of someone you don't like and use theirs.

That's what just doing even more damage is for.

So, I died at level 10

Sadface, shit happens.

Roll up a Gunslinger/Fighter/Paladin build.

Didnt try any harder to minmax then on my newly deceased character.

New character is fucking too powerful.

Four attacks with like +25 to damage, with haste and a couple buff spells. +20 to hit touch AC within 40 ft with Distance on pistol.

Feel like I need to kill this character off now, feels bad.

Style.

However I think you mean you are playing a slayer as in class now as per this post.

If that is the case three levels of unchained rogue is the better choice unless you want to change to pure vigilante

No, but that's why he grappled Grendel instead of swording him. We just need a talent for ripping limbs off someone you grapple well enough.

Don't reply to him! This is DHB.

How? And which gun rules are you using?

Because you're claiming Hercules or Beowulf are what Paizo martials should be when both of them were MYTHIC.

>four attacks
>25 damage each
>level 10
>too powerful

What? That's kind of shitty. Have you looked at what a cookie-cutter MAXIMUM STRENGTH barbarian with Power Attack can do? Level 10 is even right when they get Greater Beast Totem.

Isn't that backstory Isekai bull poop anyway?

Ooh, someone tell me where the Assassin's game takes place and I can squirt out some concepts~

>what Paizo martials should be

I don't care about Paizo. I care about SoM producing characters that are as capable as SoP characters and not weaker just because "martials are only allowed nice things if they're wizards who use swords sometimes".

Five days till the first session of the new game and i'm starting to freak.

The Avowed fucking sucks

Who thought this was a good idea?

>sucks

Why do you say that?

The Mohammedan harlot, of course.

She's even favored by King Arthur, from what I understand. Because it wasn't like one of King Arthur's biggest things was fighting off invading cunts like her, no sir.

>it's another 'user doesn't understand avowed' episode

>Isn't that backstory Isekai bull poop anyway?
Do you not know what Isekai means?

>DHB makes himself a super cool mutant assassin with a hot half-demon girlfriend
I can't believe this guy isn't just fucking with us and wants to ERP.