How do I break up an IC relationship between two PCs?

How do I break up an IC relationship between two PCs?

So far it's just been implied sleeping together, but I need to kill their romance before it gets serious ingame.

Kill one.
If you mean besides that, kill the other.

What's the problem? Is their child destined to end the world?

Kill both

I just think one of them would be better off with a particular NPC I made for that purpose, I had plot and stuff about them being destined together.

An excellent opportunity to start playing up destiny vs decision themes.

WOAH OP
Les slow down.
Why do you need to kill them?
If you're scared of a sex scene, simply request they never enter that detail level.
Otherwise, you ain't got a reason.
Even if their child will be powerful, let it happen.
Way better story that way.
No need to kill off a romance which players are really attempting to develop.
Just request nicely they don't go into detail. They can tell you in secret that *we had sex* if it's a family-friendly store for roleplay. Otherwise, it doesn't require mention. Just tell them to not slip and start describing their activities.

Why not work with what you got then? Destiny vs free will conflict.

Or you could do the not-shitty thing and let the roleplayers roleplay instead of doing something that reads like forcing a player to participate in a shipping fantasy

Like how, showing off how much better things would be if she was with the NPC? Or in more of a "you have to do it to save the world" way?

This seems either dumb, or fake and dumb

But, in hopes that it's fake and we can just joke about how stupid the entire concept is, give the girl an STD and castrate the male.

That's honestly just going to cause more problems than solutions user.

You already have a framework for a romance plot, why not just work with the players and use it to achieve a satisfying conclusion?

>itt: OP is mad the cute girl he invited into his super secret club chose another players character over his self insert NPC and wants to use his position of power as DM to stop it as he'll NEVER be in a powerful position in real life.

You got some problems op but this relationship between two PCs isn't one of them.

>trying to railroad relationships between PC and your own waifu

Shit DM detected.

>showing off how much better things would be if she was with the NPC? Or in more of a "you have to do it to save the world" way?
No, that's shit. More like they run into prophecy in unreliable narration.

If they don't go for it, later a NPC becomes the "chosen one" instead.

But nothing really happens, the whole thing is mostly about the way that other npcs perceive the party.

Hey OP, you gonna provide info? I already talked on how to be family-friendly and such.
But this ain't no good OP.
You telling us nothing.

>ruining players' fun for the sake of your shipping fantasies

Because it won't be satisfying for me and this game is for my fun too.

I'm seriously considering your idea but he's a Cleric and could just cure anything he had unless I make it some bullshit disease, and probably grow his dick back too.

Don't worry, bro, I'm pretty sure your game will fall apart before long, and with that any IC rrelationships will be done for.

>Because it won't be satisfying for me and this game is for my fun too.
Sure the game is for your fun too, but the players are allowed to determine what their characters do, think and feel. The GM does not get to decide these things.

It's not shipping. It's a matter of setting lore that in every age these two souls are destined to be on opposite sides of a conflict and end it by getting married, only this time it's complicated because they're both princesses of their respective kingdoms and went to magic school together. Gay marriage exists in setting and that's why I didn't want to give details because I KNOW /pol/shitters are going to come in and fuck this thread up for daring to not live in a past century.

This whole thing is fucking bullshit they didn't tell me the moment they started on this romance and they just don't fit together while the NPC is perfect for her, practically the Madoka to her Homura.

You're tipping your hand a bit.

>these two souls are destined to be on opposite sides of a conflict and end it by getting married

Homofag stuff aside, this is so damn uninspired and trite. Your narrative tastes are mealy as fuck.

Now I'm hoping the PCs stay together if only to force some kind of shift-up from this dumb True Love Ends the Eterno-War plotline you're trying to railroad your players along.

Stop trying to railroad their characters and let them fuck

Nope.

Reign it in mate. You need to cut back about 10% to keep yourself believable.

So now we're offering critique to let OP bait better. Guess Veeky Forums has grown a bit.

Even if they end the relationship, what makes you think the player will want her character to hook up with that particular NPC?

>the Madoka to her Homura
So the cute innocent girl to her derranged stalker? I don't see why this couldn't work even if she is in a relationship already.

Homura did nothing wrong!

So did you talk about this with the player? Ask him/her if he/she is okay with having a destined lesbian lover?
I mean, this is probably bait but I'm bored so fuck it, I'll pretend you are serious.

The moment I notice this would be the moment I stop cooperating with the plot in any way and start actively working against it.

>not seducing the destined girl just to fuck up the prophecy and the faggot god who twists fate in such a retarded way
Maybe the girl's current lover has a hidden agenda.

>Because it won't be satisfying for me and this game is for my fun too.
At the same time, your player's agency and enjoyment matter just as much as yours do, maybe even moreso.

You already have a framework for romance, you already have players who are willing to participate in it, and you can easily warp whatever plot line you had to include their interactions together as a means to serve the plot.

Just arbitrarily telling the player "no, you're supposed to fall in love with THIS person" just reeks of desperation and will immediately sour your player's experience of the game from that point forward, maybe even get them to reconsider showing up for their next session.

Seriously man, just go with the flow.

That last phrase.
All I could think of was surfers and stoned people.
"Just go with the flow, bro"
No offense or anger, that's just what popped into my head and I'm replying to almost everything.

Your plan was doomed to fail the moment the PC was written up as straight.
There's nothing you can do to turn her lesbian, migjt as well stop trying to sabotage their relationship since she'll never end up with your NPC anyway. So all you'll achieve at this point is ruining your players fun for no purpose.

If the Cleric is a high enough level to regrow his dick then the Wizard is a high enough level to clone the princess, tie up the clone, then mail her off to destiny's doorstep alongside a cease and desist letter.

Doesn't make the advice any less effective though.

When you learn to let go and see where shit is going to take you, more often than not you'll find out that you're worrying about nothing. Like here you are, going on about how to sabotage a relationship between two PCs when it still fulfills the plotline of "two people are destined to meet and fall in love" or whatever you're going on about.

I'm assuming the players don't know about this plotline so it can be dropped and reworked over the next few days if needed but you're putting in so much work to force them apart, just to end up in a situation where nobody is happy.

And I'm not disagreeing. In life obviously, control is needed, cause most people want to fuck you over.
But in a D&D campaign? Go with the players. Never railroad. Provide an end goal and such, but let roleplay be free.

>In life obviously, control is needed, cause most people want to fuck you over.
The only thing that we honestly have control over is ourselves. We cannot influence someone to do something that is not in their capacity to do and trying to force someone into being something that they're not will only lead to consequences down the line.

Lemme just a pause.
Initially, we are NOT in control of ourselves.
In fact, the most difficult thing to control is ourself.
But once you can do that.....
The world can be controlled by you.....
Assuming others who also can control themselves don't stop you.

Nigga you going way too deep on that bong.

No, you've always had control over what you decided to do. You choose to allow others to influence your decisions. You choose what goes inside your body, whether it's food, drugs, or alcohol. You choose whether or not to get offended over something that somebody said or did, just as you choose whether or not to remain around someone who makes you uncomfortable.

When people realize that they always had a choice, they'll ultimately feel happier in the end than if they believed that they're being pulled by metaphysical forces beyond their understanding. If you truly wish to do something, nothing between heaven and earth is going to stop you from doing it.

If a man with no legs can win gold at the olympics, what's stopping you from attaining your own "outlandish" dream?

This isn't some revelation.
This is basic shit.
Urges and impulses are what pull us back, nothing else.
Learn to recognize and defeat that.
Nothing particularly deep in that.
It is really basic knowledge everyone should be aware of.

The only thing that stops man from moving mountains is that man received the wrong encouragement.

Urges and impulses are what drives us weak and fleshy things.

And that he feels no need to.
And no willpower to push himself to do something of effort.
But if he can push himself (control himself), then yes he can move the mountain.
You searching up native american quotes or something?

This bait threat sure took a weird turn.

All women are lesbians that just haven't realized it yet. Studies have proven it.

No.
Survival does.
And reproduction.
Once again, basic stuff.
Yes. It's now more bait, and I am actually feeling like arguing. I'm sorry you must witness this, user.

In the end, the option was always there for him to achieve, it's just whether or not he chose to pursue it.

>If you truly wish to do something, nothing between heaven and earth is going to stop you from doing it.
Sorry but this is bullshit and totally wrong.
Everyone has limits and things they can't do no matter what and they must eventually learn to accept them.
Believing that your potential is unlimited is a shitty meme that people have spread too much and only leads to dissapointment later on.
And no, I'm not trying to be edgy, negative or anything, it's just how things are. We are have out limits and there is no reason that should be a bad thing or something to feel depressed about.

How are survival and reproduction not urges or impulses?

one must imagine Sisyphus happy

NOW YOU'RE GETTING IT.
WETHER HE CHOSE TO OR NOT
That is self-control.
Sorry, a little emotional.
It's regarded as instincts, but that's a technical detail.
You may ignore.

>Everyone has limits and things they can't do no matter what and they must eventually learn to accept them.
There is a man who wrote a book when he could only communicate by blinking to his assistant.

There is a man who won an olympic race even when he lost both of his legs.

There are people that exist who were homeless yet managed to succeed and become some of the richest men and women in the world.

The only reason why you believe that there is a limit is because you impose said limit upon yourself. Of course some goals will be easier to obtain than others but that doesn't necessarily mean that someone with enough drive can't achieve them at some point in their life, or at least set the framework for such a goal to be achieved later by his friends and family.

I mean, if you asked someone in the 19th century whether or not men would be able to go to the moon or fly from Philadelphia to San Francisco, they'd tell you that that shit was impossible too.

He still can choose to do it, and if he does, and that's what he truly wants to accomplish, then he'll work hard and move that mountain.

And it was. My point is that you as an individual don't really have unlimited potential. It's by associating with other people and having them support you that you can surpass your limits.
The dude who wrote the book couldn't have possibly written it withour his assitant's help and anyone else who contributed to making their communication easier.
The man who won the olympic race couldn't have done it without the work of the countless people who helped develop prosthetic legs generation after generation.
Sure, there are some particularly tallented dudes who manage to reach the top with barely any help, but they are usually the exception, not the rule, and it's retarded to think that everyone can do the same.
If eveyr individual had unlimited potential they we would all be autistic fucks who do everything by themselves and don't need anyone's help, which isn't the case.
So no, there is no unlimited potential, there is only a bunch of people with limited potential working together to do the kind of things that they can't do by themselves.

I never said that an individual had unlimited power. Nor did I say that any of the men that I've mentioned achieved their success without the aid of others.

All I said was that the only limit that exists is the one that you set upon yourself. Either you manage to complete your goal before you die or you set a framework that others can achieve long after you've died.

You simply misunderstand me.

I don't agree with your optimism, but I admire it.

I thought science proved that all lesbians just need penis to correct their ways.

I come back from a year long absence, and the first thread I see is a thinly veiled bait thread that ends in civil disagreement about optimism and the human condition.

Everything is as I had left it.

Goddamn Veeky Forums, never fuckin' change.

Except create an objectively inferior world that will eventually die from lack of energy without magical girls to fuel them or shades to harvest. Series Homura did nothing wrong, Revolution Homura literally doomed the entire universe because she had fallen in love with the concept of Madoka. She couldn't stand to have a universe where Madoka wasn't the same girl she'd met the first time. It hurt her ass so badly she had to destroy the thing Madoka gave her life for in order to get the power to make things how she wanted.

Homura is a cunt, she definitely did everything wrong.

>be eldritch being from beyond time and space
>what is death
>what are those limit things you people speak of
>everything is achievable given enough time and effort and i have literally infinite amounts of both
>be posting on an icelandic fish pickling board why

Welcome back! faggot

It's not really optimism, it's the truth. The only thing that stops men from achieving greatness is the idea that they can never achieve it.

I mean, everyone is born a child who doesn't know anything, so what exactly makes your aspirations any less achievable than anyone else?

Especially in this day and age where anyone can self-publish and get their ideas out there for the internet at large to view?

I love this board sometimes.

It's a beautiful time to be alive.

Honestly I can't tell if this is bait or not. It sounds exactly like something you'd expect from a dumbshit GM who's confused as to why players won't go along with his novel.

The only thing which tells me user might be telling lies on the internet is he isn't trying to defend or justify himself. Usually when people are sincere about this they double down.

Being a good GM means adapting to the players and shelfing your ideas when they don`t fit anymore.

At least this bait is somewhat fresh, even though I recognize it from other discussions

I think it was a good bait. It starts with an odd but still reasonable premise, then reels you in with increasing autism. It wasn't until >51485556 when it became too obvious and lost its lustre. Fun ride, would be rused again.

>thread started with bait and a railroading dm
>turns into a philosophical argument
I missed you Veeky Forums

there is nothing wrong with ic romances as long as it doesn't go magical realm. cut to black, don't allow awkward roleplay past a certain point (flirty ic talk is okay but descriptive sexual scenes are not). but it allows for plot hooks and extra tension in dangerous situations, plus immediate and decent drama if a character dies.

Bravo, its rare to see some legitimately not complete trash tier bait. Good job dumb ass

>runs his tongue over his lips, covering his mouth with salvia.
Yes, yes PC one. You feel the advances of the herm wolfperson, she is a perfect seductress. Your eyes can't help but to wander over her erotic curves, and your own body stiffens. In more ways than one! Hehe..
>Moans softly.
Remember, this is destiny. You have to do it!

>I had plans
Choo choo!

Hey.
This ain't no philosophy.
I'm showing basic knowledge.

Maybe he would be better off with this destined person. But I find a lot of players like the screw destiny route so letting him know this is destiny but giving him the choice to choose his own way is more interesting in a roleplayng way.

I want to go at 1.1c without changing my body's mass, density or composition.
Please explain me how there are no limits on this life.

Nothing's necessarily stopping you from studying within the fields of science and trying to find the answer yourself.

Who knows, you might end up succeeding and become this universe's ant-man or something.

But it is impossible. No amount of study will change the laws of physics.

can you not pair the npc with a different pc

I know you're trolling but introducing a NPC who is "destined" to end up with a mostly unwilling PC is a delicious recipe for in-game drama, love triangles or just comedy. There's a reason that sort of character is overused in romcom and harem plots.

Shipper trash detected.

But seriously user. Don't do that. Sometimes your players come up with cooler stories than what you have in mind.
Let the relationship develop naturally. If it doesn't work out, THEN you can try to push your OTP. Present your NPC as an option but do not nudge the PC towards this character until then.

Don't forget that the PC in question is with a man, and the "destined" NPC is female. Added drama!

Yet what we find to be impossible today changes based on what we discover tomorrow.

What I'm reading is that you're into one of these two players and now you're jealous.

Give it up, OP. Players care about their IC relationship a hundred times more than they care about your obscure destined-soulmate-romance lore.

If you kill the natural romance to force your artificial one and your players catch on they'll be pissed.

Anyway, this is some pretty good bait. Hopefully someone will see this thread in the archives and find an answer to their own, real railroading problem.

user, we can't end all wars or shrink to the size of an ant. At least not within our lifetime. This is not mutually exclusive with trying to achieve the impossible as best as we can.
It's just that the impossible is... not very likely at all. But sub-goals are reachable. We can improve the human condition and learn various new things about physics.
Optimism and realism are not irreconcilable. You probably won't achieve the thing, and you need to realize and come to terms with that. But it's worth trying, you might achieve a lot of cool, different things.

I mean, as long as your goals aren't stupid. No one will ever break a brick wall by staring at it long enough.

>No one will ever break a brick wall by staring at it long enough

You shouldn't have given me the idea.

It's physically impossible, because of the way staring works.

Fuck them all and let chlamydia sort them out.

by breaking them up IRL. make up some shit that the one said about the other supposedly and vice versa

At the rate technology is going, I wouldn't be surprised if we develop glasses with heat vision.

That's a perfect recipe for getting stabbed in the gooch compadre.

That's not really you staring, is it?

>Hey, Bob, I heard Mike say you're an asshole
>What? No way. Mike did you say I was an asshole?
>No, Bob, who told you that?
>Faggarino
>What an asshole

Flawless plan 10/10

That depends on your definition of "staring." In most games, it'd count as a gaze attack at the very least.