YOU ARE BEING RECORDED!

Chronicles of Darkness is the one and only roleplaying game wherein people can spontaneously manifest the supernatural power to break up fights by pulling out a smartphone and yelling "YOU ARE BEING RECORDED!"

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?759812-Beast-The-Primordial-Roots-in-the-Community
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Pulling WoD out of 90s was a mistake.

Urban fantasy don't make sense anymore since we have smartphones, sadly.

Pretty sure Unknown Armies could cover that too.

Why not? It just requires a different set of assumptions and rules. That doesn't mean it ceases to work as a concept.

I thought Vampires had no reflection or some shit, why does a phone make a difference? At worse all you'll see is John Doe get smacked by a floating suit.

>I'm Bleeding on You
Does someone at White Wolf seriously think that a mortal civilian can shame a fucking vampire? Or is this for a humans-only game?
>"You're drinking my blood!"
>"No fucking shit, Sherlock. Now shut up so I can dine in quiet."

>"You're being recorded!"
>"Go ahead, tell the media! They can't un-drink you!"

>Pretty sure Unknown Armies could cover that too.
It would work a hell of a lot better in UA. Sounds like it could be an Adept power. Cameraturgy or Sociomancy, maybe.

The other mortal-only Merits here are hilarious too.

Over Before It Started lets you confront an exceedingly powerful monster, even some elder god-spirit, and then take a trivial amount of damage from it to end the encounter right then and there.

The Consequences of Violence forces anyone who attacks you to, henceforth, treat all violent actions as Integrity breaking points. No resistance. That person might suffer a mental breakdown whenever they commit any act of violence, forever.

These are not bad for one-dot Merits.

These can affect anyone, not just humans.

>"I'm recording you!!"
>*BLAM*
>Did I look good, chief?

These are supernatural merits and thus literally magic.

the nwod was a mistake

Thats only 1 clan of vampires in oWoD, Lasombra. Obviously they wouldn't give a shit about that ability.

Everything pre-GMC was good to okay.
GMC and afterwards they shat the bed.

And this works fine on supernatural beings? As if I'm reading this right, a camera allows you to kick the shit out of a Mage by holding up your camera and pulling faces as you walk away.

Yes.

Max out your Presence and Expression (you must be a world-class singer or something), take a specialty in YOU ARE BEING RECORDED, and strap a total of six cameras onto yourself to impose a -5 penalty onto the roll to resist.

You can also use The Push instead of YOU ARE BEING RECORDED, but The Push is less cost-effective.

>Over Before It Started lets you confront an exceedingly powerful monster, even some elder god-spirit, and then take a trivial amount of damage from it to end the encounter right then and there.

>So there I was, Cain standing before me and wanting to slaughter all my allies. I took a single point of lethal damage and it was all over and we just sorta wandered off.

"Any attempt to record the supernatural fails to record or comes off as just a regular uninteresting recording at worst or a dubiously fake one at best."

I'd have it being Cain laughing his ass off at the pathetic mortal, tugging his cheeks like the guy was a child, and then bitch-slapping him before walking away, still chortling.
I mean, is there any other appropriate response besides, "I'm going to spare you because you have nerve?"

Oh god I just realized this was written by David "Waifus are Racist" Hill. His twitter feed was salty as a base level, with Trump elected it must be brinier than the dead sea.

There really should be a proviso for people who have no reason to give a shit or need to engage you.

The bank robber pulling out a camera and going 'I'm recording the police trying to arrest me' should get himself a nice meeting with mr happy zappy stick after all.

And if you also have The Consequences of Violence, from henceforth, he now potentially suffers a mental breakdown for attempting any acts of violence.

>Oh, that's fucking adorable mortal.

This isn't nWoD. This is CoD. CoD was a mistake.

Muh nigga.

I know the whole point is forcing the humanity vs the beast thing vampires have going on but this is less forcing and more goading with pointy sticks, cuffs and shackles.

why do these people always have beef with the Amish

>Direct harm to another person.
>depends on the character's worldview.

Oh, this feels very very abusable. After all, you can REALLY say a soulless walking corpse is a person any more?

>David "Waifus are Racist" Hill
David 'Heroes are the real villains and they're all MRAs' Hill?
The guy that made Beast about being poor oppressed transsexual otherkin rather than monsters?
Christ, how can that man still be employed after Beast; The Retardening.

>10 simple steps that will make you literally Gandhi!
Looks like the kind of blog disclaimer you would find, and ignore, under the reply function of Veeky Forums

That's the whole point of the game, theorically.

>"Look, the mortal thinks he's people! Maybe if you spend your whole life with a stick up your ass shoving cameras in people's faces, your fruitless attempts at preaching self-righteous platitudes will make you feel better about your pathetic, short, and constantly shortening life. At least have a cheeseburger before you die so you can accomplish something. And I don't mean a tofuburger."

Why do Morke and Holden still have a job there? Probably nepotism, the people at OP seem to be from a tight little circle of people from rpg.net and the onyx path forums.

simple steps that will make you literally Gandhi!
Where does it say that?

We are in 2017 and people still seems to not be able to take UFO or ghost photo that aren't blurry.

It says you can get a supernatural aura of non violence by reading a blog, you tell me.

Weirder things happen in such a magical world.

Is it a Tumblr blog?

What game is this? Who are these Plains? And why they seems an unhappy bunch of whiny fuckers?

No, that's the supernatural aura of at-will gender alteration.

Yep, but their are actually magical. Rhis whole plain reader thing ia ridiculously bad and just serves to force the beast vs humanity angle, in a pretty stupid way if I may add, which is something the players should be either already doing, or ignoring completely. You can't tell me that you can make a tzimisce back down because you look really sad while he hacks you to pieces thanks to the teachings of the magical blog.
Nope, it wouldn't be effective if it was.

Nwod, they decided to give the supplement about combat to a passive aggressive leftist who affects pacifism while mouthing off about how 'nazis' should all be attacked for wrongthink

Plains are readers of a pacifist blog.

No, really.

>inserting nazi apologetic rethoric for no damn reason
Back to /pol/ quickly.

Chronicles of Darkness, the new name for New World of Darkness.

The book is called Hurt Locker, and it's a "combat and minor supernatural templates" splatbook.
It has some supremely variable quality.

That power is power of the "Pain Readers" who are people who've taken on board this philosophy of non-violence thing from a mystical website, and gained the ability to compel non-violence in others through quasi-mystical manners.

Including threatening to report all manner of Mummies, Demons and soul-eating Magicians, to the police.

>Medieval fantasy doesn't make sense anymore since we have smartphones

>>/pol/

>Hideyo’s: In a small, open-front store stuck between several other cramped electronic shops just like it, is Hideyo’s. Distinct only if you know to look for it, Hideyo’s has a number of random electronic and computer components on the sidewalk out front. At a glance, the only thing about it is that a number of the products appear to be makes that never went to market, or from manufacturers no one has ever heard of. It’s said that you can find anything at Hideyo’s, as long as it’s lost and hard to find. Hideyo himself will tell you many of the things he has for sale don’t exist, and that he gets them as gifts from the angels. He’ll also tell you “my god is Ultraman,” if you hang around long enough to talk to him.

>Happy Kitten Pancake Café: Maid Cafes dot the shop- ping district and run the spectrum from cute, colorful shops that cater to middle- and high-school-aged girls, to much more adult locations with much more adult interactions between clients and the staff. Happy Kitten Pancake is somewhere in between. The staff and owner appear to be pleasant, good-humored women who dress up as typical quasi-Edwardian maids (so long skirts, not short), and serve “the best pancakes in Tokyo.” Happy Kitten Pancake does not, however, put up with crap from clients. In the past year, eight men have been taken to the hospital from the Cafe having been beaten nearly to death. None of them will say what happened nor are they willing to press charges. The owner, Emi, simply says “boys can’t be rude here.” She is all of 150 centimeters tall, and none of her staff are much bigger. How these men end up in the hospital is anyone’s guess.

This is just like one of my Japanese animes!

I like the implication that there has to be something supernatural going on with short Japanese girls beating up greasy otaku.

Uh.

Yeah because it's so great the way idiots are going around yelling 'look a Trump supporting nazi!' and then suckerpunching them. Thanks for getting the Portland airport people to back down on gun control though!

>This is just like one of my Japanese animes!
Actually this sounds like a typical stroll through Tokyo, not even kidding.

>51488845
>not taking s/elf/ies with the Holy Sword and sending them to the king to notify the success of the quest
Dorf pls

>threatening to report all manner of Mummies, Demons and soul-eating Magicians, to the police

>"Hello, police? There's a Demon skullfucking a homeless man, come quick! I got it all on video"
>"Why yes sir! There's a vehicle going your way with an exorcist cop!"

What kind of retard committed that on paper?

They hate all traditional cultures, nicking the parts that are "Exotic and kewl" and ignoring central parts because they're icky and gross.

It's one of the worst fucking parts of the new batch of writers.
It's the same cultural appropriation it always was, but now instead of having some fun with it it's just window dressing.

I'm not saying it's not stupid but you were the one to bring some /pol/ - Tumblr dichotomy for no reason.

>loli vampire cafè
UNF.

>the Holy Sword
Swords? The only relic of renown is the Holy Apple Tablet.

I never said a word about tumblr what the fuck are you talking about

>"Get on the ground!"
>Mage punts a police car five blocks
>"I'm warning you!"

Well that's probably anything BUT a mage because of that pesky disbelief bullshit.

But anyway, this is why police should be armed with six cameras rather than guns, and be trained to read Amish blogs.

I mean, CoD started out with magical LSD menstruation coming out of your dick. (Because what matters is how you identify)

They always needed to be slapped a little bit.

Haha yeah, there's no way there would be a special task force dedicated to dealing with supernatural threats.

I'm only ok with that if they wrote about a bunch of neckbeards gaining minor reality altering power given to them by an ancient egyptian god after reading a japanese image board.

The FBI department deals with serial killers, and taskforce:VALKYRIE is owned by vampires. (These fucking writers need to be fucking shot)

I don't think a civilian would know about that though.

That's probably only going to stop a Toreador, and only because it would make them stop to check their hair and clothes.
And on the other and it is going to make every Nosferatu cleopatra unbelievably mad.

Not an official splat, but I'm sure you know about Fedora the Tippening.

Well if it's in a setting without masquerade, ok but that's not the case here, right ?

>taskforce:VALKYRIE is owned by vampires.
and it's equipment is supplied by a cabal of Seers

Wait, shit, is it Fedora the Tipping?
I always misread it because I imagine it sounding just as obnoxious as the other subtitles.

What the fuck is this pussy ass shit?

>Everyone has a voice and all voices are respected

Unless you are a dude.

I don't really see the problem here dude.

They're female hippies, female-societies on that notion exists all over the place in real life, and they're a staple of WoD since the beginning.

I expect any civilian who has encountered Supernatural-Americans to guess that it probably exists and there's a reason these minorities try to avoid publicity.
Seriously, all nonsense aside about cops vs mage fights aside, they do not want to be recorded and reported to the authorities.

I know, right?

Cuck: The Cuckening.

Being a boy in their little conclaves must be depressing. No father figure and the only family you have is clearly going to shove you out when you are grown

Yes, it's Fedora the Tipping.

The writers felt the need to thoroughly write out a detailed encounter with a purely mundane group of baka gaijin in Akihabara.

>Nearly beaten to death
>Not willing to press charges.

At the point where someone was hospitalised and nearly died, I don't think the police NEED you to agree to press charges. I mean, that's at the very least aggravated assault. If not attempted murder.

I mean, I have a friend who grew in such an organization and he was fine. His mom left the organization when he became too old and rejoined it when he moved out... then left it later because it had basically fallen apart.

It's Japan, man.

I mean yeah, but what's stopping them from cutting you and taking the cameras off your mutilated corpse? Literally nothing.

...these are not people who understand japan.

And yet the author lives there and feels free to speak on behalf of the actual japanese

Not that I don't think Hill's a catastrophically terrible writer and developer, but Beast is mostly Matt "Black Hat Matt" McFarland's retarded baby. One can even look at one of his game's to see how you're supposed to run it
forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?759812-Beast-The-Primordial-Roots-in-the-Community

However, and I'm not 100% sure about this, Hill was responsible for large chunks of the Heroes chapter of Beast, which was just as god-awful as the rest of it. The recent heroes expansion book doubles down on the shit as well.

Supposedly David Hill actually lives in Japan and is the one writing these terrible Japanese settings into all the new books. Presumably he never leaves the house.

Point taken. Japan is pretty messed up.

Isn't that from the oWoD 20th anniversary edition?

Did an SJW write this?

Someone wasn't beaten by their parents enough.

Do you think that's going to stop a writer? 90% of the time it doesn't.

Yeah, I just thought that maybe they'd learned from Gypsies. Just maybe.

I'm pretty damn lefty and even I'm offended by this. WoD is a dark, gothic modern horror setting. It's the sort of setting where being a pacifist should be hard and deliberately taking the less optimal but more moral option. Not 'Get superpowers that make a mage blush'.

>Recent heroes book
Tell me more, I've got to know just how retarded things get.

Do you get to play the M'ladying Dudebro Superhero Rapist of the WoD writers darkest Peyote hallucinations or not?

It's so shit no one's bothered to share it. Some sparkling jewels are the new antagonist splat of superbeasts who do things like ejaculate fisheggs that if you eat you'll be ejaculating fisheggs too.

What the fuck is this shit? World of Darkness with Tuinblrinas?

That's the 'modern horror' part, as in it makes a horror out of what the writers consider 'modern' (anyone and everything that agrees with them).
There's making appealing political points in things you write (pretty much every writer does if they're not trying to remain completely unbiased), but then there's beating an Ipad filled with your ideals over someone's head until one or the other breaks.

First post is best post.

I thought the point is that being a pacifist means you're fucked. The WoD is not functioning properly when you can be a pacifist and survive. It's a world where those who want to take the high road have one name: "Victims".