Waifupunk

A flippant post from another user got me thinking.

A setting where the power of love, or at least a semblance of it, is not only tangible and very real, but can be harnessed as a source of energy.

Warm feelings towards a minor character on your wristwatch are enough to keep the hands turning, while the obsessive worship of characters like Rei and Asuka at various shrines are employed to power entire cities.

Wars are fought with weapons that depend on the dedication towards some impossible ideal, in this case lasers and energy weapons which are not only emblazoned with images of catgirls or modeled after their own weapons, but also take on characteristics of the spirits they are channeling. And, these wars are fought over which waifu is the best.

Waifu debates take on new meaning, where elite scientists dedicate themselves to figuring out which waifu has the potential for the most efficient as well as the highest capacity for energy production. Legions of fans engage in these debates as well, as their ferocity not only helps determine which waifus are superior, but produce tremendous energy themselves.

Ultimately, there is the question of whether taking advantage of neurotic obsession under the guise of love is turning the world into a hellish and garrish landscape where imaginary idols have replaced deities, as well as whether true love has any place in a world where people are encouraged to obsess about characters to meet energy quotas.

I'm way more into the idea of capturing hadoukens, and using those as an energy source.
It automatically makes shit tier and artifact tier engines a thing based on the fighter who made the hadouken.
You might get one genuine ryu drive for every thousand dan engines.

>A flippant post from another user got me thinking.
Link?

This is the dumbest idea.
I expect an anime about this by next Fall.

>imaginary idols have replaced deities
>implying

These kind of idols.

>Wars are fought with weapons that depend on the dedication towards some impossible ideal
Let me guess, in this setting France not only kicked the English off the continent but actually conquered the British Isles, Iberia, the Italian Peninsula and Germany all the way up to the Elbe? The combined power of the Voice of God and being Best Girl are simply too much to contain.

What's the "punk" part?
Is the top layer of society hogging all the Waifu energy, and the poor weebs at the bottom produce the most love but do not get the benefits from it?

The feelings towards waifus aren't love

I unironically feel more positively about fictional women than real ones. Whereas waifus make me laugh, cry and feel, my feelings for real women varies from mild irritation to contempt to seething rage.

If I cannot love waifus, then I cannot love at all.

That's called "being an emotionally stunted manchild", user.

>waifus
>plural
You don't have the faintest idea of what a waifu even is, newscrub.

How would that invalidate the emotions he is feeling, Satan?

An emotionally matured person can still feel frustration, anger and sadness after all.

That's because you let memes become your actual life.

Noone ever crosses my river from the west. Noone.

Yes, but an immature person can't overcome or cope with them and needs figures like satan, or '2016 was a dick' to make sense of the world in a way that doesn't imply it#s indifference to your feelings and needs.
The emotionally stunted can't let go of their past pain, can't take a step forward and see that the greater part of people are just uncaring, not cruel and that goes for women as well.
Point is: not his feelings are invalid but how they are directed. It's a mild way of fleeing reality, giving yourself to an idea and accepting that is harsh.

Judge not another man by the size of his harem, but by how he pays his respects to each girl in that harem.

>harem
>waifus
Your imaginary brothel of the month has nothing to do with the pure and lifelong love and admiration for the embodiment of your ideal partner and guiding light, you clueless newfag.

Oh, right, I forgot, Veeky Forums is mostly monogamous.

There's NOTHING wrong with having a seasonal waifu.

Waifus come from /a/, what Veeky Forums thinks doesn't matter. Nor what nu/a/ thinks, for that matter. I was there when the concept of the waifu was penned, and newfags who think they can redefine it to mean their bonerhoners can shut right up.
>pic related

This reminds me of that one dead quest on anonkun where reality warping idols ruled the world and becoming an idol fanboy has become a normal fact of life.

The big companies that produce and hold the rights to big name waifus try to establish pseudo-religions around them, while counter-cultures emerge that create their own waifus and try to promote their own appeal.

He's a frogposter, you shouldn't expect anything but what you'd find on r/the_donald

I find /pol/ works best when you want to talk about frogposters here, everyone knows them.

This all sounds disturbingly plausible if you take out the part where waifuism is a tangible power source. If you just say that waifus are a form of social control, you get Rollerball with /a/ instead of /sp/.

The scenario as laid out in the OP seems appropriate for a more traditional fantasy setting that's hitting some kind of cultural/scientific renaissance, where they've realized that gods can be manufactured.

>seasonal waifu
You can't even commit to a make believe character, pathetic

For them it's better than to accept they can't commit to anyone that way.

>Warm feelings towards a minor character on your wristwatch are enough to keep the hands turning,

"Haru, you're late to class again! Go stand in the hallway."
"I'm sorry, sensei, but my watch was running a little slow, so I messed up the time."
"Is that a Kumin Tsuyuri watch? How can you expect to be on time with such a lazy watch?"
"She's not lazy, she just likes sleeping."
"Why don't you just get a Shinka watch like everyone else? Shinka is reliable. AND busty."
"Please sir, it's the only watch that works for me. Can we just start class, without you harrassing my waifu?
"But this is Advanced Waifu Harrassment 101."

>an entire school of thought based around bullying waifus
There's a recipe for chaos if I ever saw one.

dingus

We have to fight against BIG WAIFU

>ONEE-SAN IS WATCHING YOU

This is one of those wonderful threads that's just the right mixture of awesome and totally retarded.

>Time for some funi funi on sadpanda

maybe they are afraid of commitment itself?

Sounds like Onee San or imouto (however the fuck they spell it) arguments like /a/ has would actually be serious business.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure except instead of stands everyone has waifus