Emmisarry Edition

Emmisarry Edition

Malifaux:
mega.nz/#F!cg00BCoD!mDHocpgWP_hkkM3CpCBwrQ

Through the Breach (Complete): mega.nz/#F!Z9sVSYTS!U2J243KhVsUuOqAnsqTj4A

Book 1 - Basic Rules and first wave of updated (from 1st edition of Malifaux) models
Book 2 - Second wave of updated models and scenarios
Book 3 - Campaign system and new M2E models
Book 4 - Entirely new models and scenarios

Discord voice chat for malifaux chat and memery: discord.gg/xWkuFRz

Through the Breach Fated Almanac - Basic rules for the RPG set in Malifaux
Through the Breach Fatemaster Almanac - GM stuff for the RPG

>What is Malifaux?
Malifaux is a 32mm Skirmish Tabletop game, with a focus on completing several different objectives, while denying your opponent their objectives

New Gaining Grounds Tournament Rules: themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/123837-gaining-grounds-2017/

Topic for discussion: Which emmisarry is the best?

Carrion from what I've seen. The fucker is just so multi purpose

Arcane one because i play Kaeris.

Ive got a question, guys.
Nurse Heartsbane and Doc Grimwell - worth buying off hands or not? Want to play Lucius, Perdita, LJ and Sonnia boxes as a guild.

Grimwell is certainly a good choice. He is a quick beater that can supplement many guild crew. Hearstbane is also fun because of her lockdown potential. I wouldn't consider either necessary, though it depend son what you want to do.

Arcane with rasputina is just nasty

Not son really but nevertheless i want to beat the living crap off everyone and make people dance with my electroshocking thing with heartsbane.
Ive never played a game as either of the guild masters i mentioned, thought i started painting on LJ box. Which boxes would those two be good with?

I love using the Mysterious Emissary, it might not be the most killy but spamming changelings and screwing people over with terrain is so much fun.

>plant eating the booty

I have a regular opponent that plays a very effective 'medical team' with Guild McMourning.

Grimwell's move and damage output can be utterly horrifying.

Heartsbane's Paralyze and Push can be really fucking rough positionally.

So I got the starer set and I'm thinking about expanding on the miniatures I already have, should I go for witch hunters or nephilim?

Dont really like McMourning.

Does avatar hoffman even exist in this edition?

No one plays avatars although it does exist

In campaigns as an upgrade. Otherwise use it as a legal Brutal Emissary upgrade like everyone else.

I-I dont understand.

Why? They look cool

Avatars are what caused the game to be shit in 1st ed. They aren't going back there.

all the avatar models are out of production now so ebay is prettymuch the only place to get them. If you still have one they can be used ingame and count as the factions "Emmisary"

I was using that as almost the only example I've seen of either getting use.
But they do their jobs - Grimwell deals big damage, or at least certainly threatens it, and Heartsbane is disruptive as all hell.

He means proxie, not Upgrade.
The Avatars are no longer 'tournament legal' or really intended for use in general play - they exist only as an extra level of flavour in Shifting Loyalties campaigns,

>Avatars are what caused the game to be shit in 1st ed.
Can you elaborate?
I only started seeing Malifaux after Crossroads, so I have no idea how the game played in 1st or 1.5, and no idea about the meta/scene.

basically they were OP.

Malifaux 1st ed was Wyrd aping warmachine and hordes of Privateer Press with OP combos and models = excitement! philosophy.

It didn't pan out. It turns out the WM tempered their bullshit to one turn with feats while featuring a larger army size.
Malifaux also had the weird design philosophy that masters should be direct counter to other masters/factions and one should own the entire faction to git gud. It made the game very unenjoyable and Avatars were just a sprinkle on the turd cake.

2nd ed, Wyrd went a massive overhaul and Malifaux became incredibly better than what it was.

Ophelia, Sommer or Wong.
I can't decide between them as second master for gemlins (1st is brewmaster).

Is 15 rats enough for Hamelin? even if things are going really well I can't see having more than that on the table at any one time

Sommer

Always.

Somer handles shit ton of playstyles and can play with everything.

Wong.

Sommer swings between boring and irritating to play against, in my opinion.
He's functionally effective at many strats and schemes, but he doesn't seem all that exciting to play with either.

Disclaimer: Opionioooons! And I have only direct experience playing against him. Players I have spoken to said that,compared to avariety of other Masters, Sommer is easier and more effective but less fun.

Does it mean that they are also no longer canon?

Who the fuck knows, Malifaux lore is kind of a mess really

is there a pdf of m2e cards available? I want to see what things actually do before I buy them.

They are in the back of the books. You can grab them in the op

sweet, thanks. I've only got the compact rulebook in a physical copy, so that's good to know.

Yes, but it became a lot harder to manifest in the lore due to the governor general fucking up his ascension.

Er, yes they are still canon.

gg2017 and errata are back up on wargame vault.

Just picked up Lucius (and printed off his new cards) and was wondering what I should add to get to a decent 50 points list for Guild Lucius.

I don't play guild but I do know you'll want a doppelganger

What was actually errata'd for guild guard? I may be blind but nothing seems to be different.

I think it's because the original print run of the cards diddn't have the "Guardsman" characteristic on them, I know mine didn't

Are ronins supposed to be sisters?

Nope, there are only 4 sisters in the game. The two Viktorias, the Student of Conflict and Vanessa.

Witchling Thralls, Guild Austringers, Doppleganger, Guild Riflemen, Mounted Guard, perhaps changelings. You have a lot of options beyond what I mentioned of course.

shadow is great. He has a built in push that gives a model with an upgrade fast. On top of that he can give himself focus+2 for no ap and can give himself blasts. Plus his (0) always has some use and all of his upgrades are useful.

Not that other guy but I will say that a glowy mctavish has been the bane of my existence for awhile.

What are soulstones supposed to look like officially? Any specific color?

I've always imagined green, like warpstones in Mordheim

I imagined them white like hearthstones, mostly because my tokens are white-ish and the boxes on the reference card that I fill are white.

I think they go into detail in Through the breach, different quality = different colours.

Thralls, Austringers, a Terracotta Warrior, and anything else you like. Lucius turns his AP into more AP for other models and now he does it rather well.

It looks like Lucius and Zoraida basically compete for the same spot in neverborn, when's it worth taking one over the other?

Lucius is more about making your crew better, Z is more about making your opponent miserable. I prefer Z in S&S that emphasize spreading out more because of Raven Form and her longer ranges.

I think they're white if they're charged.

Hardcore tourney coming up, what would you run?

Somer

Henchmen hardcore means no masters though.

has anyone tried pigapult in HH? I'm thinking that it might be hilarious as turn 1/2 massive kill spree with the stuffed piglet bombs with the rest of the points into something annoying like Burt Jebsen

Nothing Beast is pretty fun

I usually go Joss, Cassandra, Rail Worker and Performer.
Landing a Performer's Seduction (Wp13 duel or suffer double negative to Df and Wp duels) in a melee can be enormous when you tend to hit two or three of their four models.
Even if you don't actually Seduce anyone, it will usually eat a card or two blocking it.

>Pigapult in HH
That sounds fucking horrible.

NICE

I love that paint job

Union Miners or Oxfordian Mages with Ironsides? I can't decide; the mages have a far greater damage output, but the scheme marker ability from the miners seems nice.

Ox Mages come in a set, Miners can be run solo. That might help.

If your looking for a single minion or even a double minion it's probably better to go with minors. If you have enough points for two and a little extra then oxfordians with they're bundle upgrade.

Ive got a few questions, guys.
First: what is better, warmahordes or malifaux?
Second: why did Confrontation die?
Thank you.

They're completely different games, so it's a moot comparison

I once went to a tournament and only used 4 rats. 15 is plenty.

Thinking of jumping into neverborn for my next faction, was considering who to start with. Out of all the current masters Pandora, Zoraida and Collodi are of the most interest to me. Which do you think would be the easiest start and who would be easiest (and cheapest) to get to 50ss starting with their master box?

Confrontation died because of bad buisness decisions and a general misunderstanding of their playerbase.

Zoraida is probably easiest since you can just add anything and be good. All she really needs is Will o the Wisps. Obey your dudes, screw with enemy dudes, abuse the hell out of that voodoo doll.

Pandy I don't know very well.

Collodi can get expensive with all the effigies and such he wants. Scary to play against, but pretty involved in all his interactions.

Got an answers in WMH thread already, but thanks anyway.

Pandora is my favourite master out of the 3 you've mentioned, she's not massively expensive to get into, some sort of big beater like nekima/teddy, some insidious madness for scheme running.
There are a couple of issues with her though.
Firstly if you come up against a high WP crew you will struggle a bit.
Secondly she can really irritate the people you're playing against and on occasion I've had people getting really irritated and claiming she's a negative play experience, I honestly just think this is people who don't know how to deal with her having a tantrum though.
She's one of my favorite masters to play though and I can't recommend her more.

Just got Ripples of Fate and am reading through the stories.
Now this is really something that annoys me about Wyrd, that they do not put important fluff bits into their books.
I haven't gotten to reading the Chronicles yet, so when I finished Shifting Loyalties the Governor General was turning into a tyrant (how I do not know) and now he's dead already and also the Burning Man.

The bit where the Governor actually blows up was covered with Mei Feng's perspective in Shifting Loyalties. The Govenor's ascension plan was here and there. For instance in McCabe's vignete it explains that the Govenor was sending guys to get the artifacts that he needed, one of those being the bones of one of the Tyrants.

A lot of the holes are covered in the TTB adventures actually. Nythera goes into detail a lot with how Phillip went missing and why Von Schill lost an arm and a leg among other things.

The "main" story is at the back of the book. The ascension plot was covered in chronicles, what the governor had set up.

> Sonnia losing Cherufe.
> Von Schill getting rekt.
> Dreamer manning up.

Is Wyrd gonna go the Warmahordes way and come out with Epic versions of older characters?

I'm hoping they just introduce new sets of upgrades for masters to reflect it. Maybe a new sculpt.

>Sonnia losing Cherufe
Wait really?

God Malifaux lore is hard to keep up on...

It's ok, she gets better.

Thanks to McMourning

So is there a timeline of important events that I should know about? Because there's a lot of fluff from first edition I never read since I started with second

What's some bullshit I can do with misaki in outcasts?

Pretty much
>1901, Kythera closed
>1902 event
You should read the 1st edition rulebooks. They are all in the OP.

Played against neverborn for the first time today, I've been playing for about a year and a half but until now no one in my group bar me used them. It's a really weird feeling coming up against the stuff you normally use yourself and seeing how people use it to totally different ways to you.

>It's a really weird feeling coming up against the stuff you normally use yourself and seeing how people use it to totally different ways to you.
It's never happened to me, but I witnessed a good Somer V Wong match recently which was basically both players using their 'back-up' Master.
Interesting to see Somer used almost exclusively for damage output and Wong almost as a killy scheme runner (since the board wasn't being flooded with sumoned Bayou Gremlins).

Seeing two Burt Jebsons on the field gave a couple of people panic attacks though, so there's that to consider.

List building time!
Opponent declares gremlins.

Standard Deployment
Turf War
Claim Jump, Dig Their Graves, Accusation, Recover Evidence, Tail 'Em

Bonus points :use Misaki, zipp or ironsides

>Here's one I prepared earlier:
Arcanists
50ss Crew
Colette Du Bois -- (2+1)ss Cache
+Cabaret Choreography - 2ss
+Shell Game - 1ss
+Arcane Reservoir - 2ss
Mechanical Dove - 2ss
Cassandra - 8ss
+Practiced Production - 1ss
+Smoke And Mirrors - 1ss
Freikorps Trapper - 7ss
Joss - 10ss
Mannequin - 4ss
Oxfordian Mage - 6ss
Performer - 5ss

I'd probably swap out the Oxfordian though, given the amount of terrain.
I don't think I've ever actually played with one.

Deploying North if possible, to avoid losing time crossing the river.

Joss, Cassandra and the Performer, with help as needed, hold the Turf War area.

The Performer and Mannequin drop markers near Joss to score Dig Their Graves.
Drowning in Gremlins should make Accusation fairly easy.

Cassandra's S&M upgrade hopefully lets her push out of combat occasionally to drop an extra marker and the Breath of Fire for kills and space clearing.
Joss is a confirmed kill every turn.
Doves can either help confirm kills/blasts for my hitters, or suicide bomb gremlins (especially useful against Somer, doubly so in high-cover maps like this).

Accusation would be hard to deny, but not easy to score for them either.
Recover Evidence is fine - I'd be tempted to keep spare Doves in the back of the field in case it is declared, and otherwise they're scrapping with Joss and Cassandra for them.
Dig Their Graves means they have to kill 'ard Joss, slippery Cass or Manipulative Performer. AP isn't hard to come by in Gremlin crews, but it's still an expensive VP to score.

Tail 'Em is one I just don't think I can deny, unless the opponent does something dumb like not take it on Joss.
Similarly Claim Jump against Gremlins...

So what was everyone's opinion on ToS?

I live in a fairly large city, and the malifaux scene was pretty cold towards it. Which kind of sucks for Wyrd, but they kind of goofed the launch.

Honestly it seems really overcosted for what you get.
I can understand monopose PVC figures but not what they're charaging

Basically what said.
Most of the models look OK, barely any look amazing, but they are monopose and at a price point even GW is beginning to lean away from.

Interested to hear how people feel teh KS was goofed, now that it's finished.

I probably wouldn't have backed regardless,but my only real concern was the price - RRP or KS discount, it's almost comically expensive for what it is.
I understand that they're looking to establish an ongoing player/customer base, rather than the common one and done Kickstarter sale, but it's still baffling.

This. Reaper and all those guys who include them with board games pull it off because the figures are cheap with a capital C. The production pictures show that the detail just isn't there. Maybe the unassembled figures that are coming soon will differ. I just can't shell out $120 for one of the starter sets.

I get that they didn't want the Kickstarter to be too big as to encourage retailers, but with them redoing the stretch goals twice it is clear that all did not go as planned.

Still better design and value wise than what Privateer Press does at least. The local henchman seems to like it, so if people actually play it come December then I might check Ebay for people dumping their pledges in order to try the game out.

I really really really don't like working with PVC, the models for their price didn't appeal to me, if I want a large scale dumbed down game I would rather just go play 40k again.

For GW I can kind of pretend that the cost is offset by how easy the models are to modify or just how amazing the sculpts are. With the ToS models I can't say really say either of those things.

Really wanted to like it, but the cost for the quality of the models is too much. If that wasn't the issue, I'd be on it in a heartbeat.

Are there any stories/ fluff of Collodi interacting with literally any other master? Does any other master even know he (it?) exists?

I don't think there is. Same with dreamer

The problem with The Other Side is the cost. Its just TOO expensive for people to get behind. I hope it does well, because I am interested in a larger scale game made by wyrd, but they need to figure out a way to reduce the cost.

Pandora talked to lord chompy bits once I think, can't remember if that was in the 1st edition or 2nd edition stuff though. While technically not Dreamer, its closer than Collodi ever got.

Collodi is so far removed from the 'plot' of malifaux that bringing him up would be super irrelevant and out of place. Which is a shame cuz he's my favourite master.

Dreamer dropped a house on Hamlin

He deserved it

Avatars were the least of 1.x's problems, especially considering the better ones were usually one shittier masters.

Where can I read more about this?

Speaking of Collodi, what are the best effigies to take with him? I know brutal is really good but what about the rest?

I like taking the arcane, handing out discard a card or gain burning to the half dozen puppets you've got orbiting collodi is nice.

Shadow is nice for scheme running if you have the card for it.

50 SS Ten Thunders Crew
Misaki + 6 Pool
- Misdirection (2)
- Stalking Bisento (2)
- Recalled Training (1)
Shang (3)
Sensei Yu (9)
- Wandering River Style (2)
Lust (8)
- Equality (1)
Chiaki The Niece (6)
Wandering River Monk (7)
Ten Thunders Brother (5)

Run around killing people. Probably Claim Jump and Dig.