Magic the Gathering Standard Thread

They banned Emrakul but they'll never touch this Edition

Post your brews, your picks for getting fun added to the banlist, and ways to shake that annoying kid who glommed onto you at your local FNM because you gave him a card suggestion.

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-deckpaste/01-02-17-bFg-none/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I'm ok with this retarded ass combo being in Modern cause Modern needs way more variety to their turn 4 wins but holy fuck do they need to ban a lot of uncommons from AER in Standard.

Aside from pic related, what other uncommon do you consider standard-ban worthy?

Not him, though I wouldn't say bannings. That said some of the AER uncommons are hilariously undercosted. Fatal Push is an obvious one, but you can stick things like Winding Constrictor or the cat in so many other decks and just cover the odd mana with a Renegade Map fetch.

>didn't think that Saheeli combo would work in standard
>thought that ballista was a piece of shit, 4 mana for 2 damage, 6/8 mana for 3
>didn't think aetherworks would take off
>didn't think delirium would take off
>tfw I'm consistently wrong about everything ever
It's almost impressive.

i'm playing thermo-alchemist because you can't combo out while i have one on the board.

Start buying cards that you think are shit. You'll be rich!

I'm playing Reservoir Storm because I like having no mainboard interaction

About to go to my first draft with friends this Friday night. What should I expect?

He's giving me two Kalitas and I'll give him two hearts of Kiran

worth or not?

Smelly faggots and a few guys that are "cool" in the eyes of said smelly faggots.

They all have shmegma bulldog in their uncut cocks and get mad when you tell them starcitygames isn't a valid price guide for cards.

It's such a cancerous fan base but god is it a fun game.

Save your money now and buy into a legacy deck.

Manaless Dredge and Burn are great, budget friendly (cam be had for 200-500) and are competitive.

I pretend to interact.

Well, in terms of average value, you're getting an extra $10 out of the deal.

Absolutely, heart of Kiran is going to be 10$ or less in another month.

The first thought that occurred to me is an insult suggesting you have thoughts about their cocks since you seem to have a disturbing descriptive line of thought about them.

But seriously, chill dog. Most people who play MTG are normal enough that it's downright boring.

That being said, I do suggest legacy instead of standard or modern. Legacy is a far more interesting and diverse format.

Is cat combo really that scary? It dies to any instant speed removal, any instant speed player burn(pointed at Rai), authority of the consuls, and lost legacy. Not to mention it's super predictable for countering. Am I missing something?

Yes

Hearts of Kiran is a standard meme card that is still being opened often

Kalitas is an actually good card that sees modern play and isn't being opened nearly enough as the most recent set

Even though it's easy to disrupt it's a consistent 2 card combo that makes your opponents play awkwardly. Instead of playing their powerful curve they always have to leave up a mana or two just incase you have it. This allows you to get to late game easier and then you have the combo plus protection. Plus sideboard games become much more difficult because you can side in more aggressively with shit like Spell Queller and beat your opponents ass while still making them respect the combo. Or just add way more counters and grind your opponent out.

I would say the combo isn't that scary. It'd never work in say modern but in standard the threat of it is enough to make it powerful.

Keep in mind that either piece of the combo is a value card. While it doesn't even compare to twin as a deck, as components its much better. You can play a solid deck, include both cards, and woops i combo now.

So I'm just getting back into semi-competetive magic again, and I was wondering if this deck is any good at all, and if you have any tips?

tappedout.net/mtg-deckpaste/01-02-17-bFg-none/

competitive like fnm or are you actually trying to get to gp's

Just FNM, so not completely kitchen-table casual, but not GP competitive; hence semi-competitive.

you could probably get away with that deck at fnm depending if you have a bunch of tryhards

You should do fine at your local FNM. Not 100%, crush-em all, but fine enough.

I'm not fond of the Sram's Expertise, Acrobatic Expertise, or the Artisan, although I can understand their inclusion.

I'd suggest some Thraben Inspectors. The clue it gives works well as a turn 2 drop to empower your Exemplar, plus it functions as card draw later on. A singleton of Avacyn (maybe 2) would also go a long way in your deck. I would also suggest Stasis Snare instead of Thopter Arrest, unless you think there are some really dangerous non-creature artifacts in your local meta.

Wouldn't Avacyn just wipe out all the servos that I've made? The idea of the deck is basically to get as many servos as possible and pump them up.

But yeah, I'll definitely replace Thopter Arrest with Stasis Snare.

Avacyn is a button to save your servos, as she gives everything indestructibility when enters play. You play her in response to their boardwipe attempts, or just as a 4/4 flyer that finishes them off (because she's kind of a threat herself). And while we're on that subject, they're more likely to want to deal with her than a wall of 1/1s (that may be 2/2s or 3/3s if you're lucky). And if she's taking out your guys, she's also flipping into a 6/5 (that will probably be able to attack as such) and taking out their creatures. So, either she saves your team and puts a bulls-eye on herself; or she blows up everyone and starts swinging for a third of your opponent's life point per swing. Win-win.

Also, I would suggest some modifications to the land base. Given you have 6 spells that cost more than 3 in your own list, 22 lands will not always cut it, and sometimes you'll be looking a 3 mana and a couple uncastable cards in your hand. I would also like to point out Westvale Abby, as it makes use of the tokens you have by turning them into an incredibly resilient win-con...and can be used in response to a board wipe. I'd suggest 20 plains and 3-4 Westvales.

Abso-fucking-lutely

Kalitas will still see play outside of Standard and I doubt HoK will

Would it be worthwhile to stick some Winding Constrictors, a couple Renegade Maps and a single swamp in an otherwise non-black counter deck? Or would that be too reliant on particular circumstances to benefit from?

Play BG and just straight-up win.