/MSG/ Mobile Suit Gundam thread

/MSG/ Mobile Suit Gundam thread

I'm starting a Gundam campaign next week and I'm needing ideas for gundam pilots and soldiers weapons and locations and side quests. The campaign will take place between Earth, The Moon, Mars, and Titan with a major focus of Mars.

Other urls found in this thread:

1d4chan.org/wiki/Mobile_Suit_Mechanicus
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Original Gundam setting, an AU, or UC?

Original Gundam Setting

Are you working in the existing plot or building from the ground up?

I always like peace treaties breaking down followed by a quick spiral into war. It's good for a campaign because it lets you start off the players with low level skirmishes, and then gradually involve them in larger and larger battles.

Gundam pilots are usually either some kind of paramilitary organization, or (often reluctant) members of the best (or least evil) nation's military. The Gundams themselves are usually advanced prototypes or one-offs, or occasionally ancient relics, typically used by people who are exceptional in some way. To that end you'll want your Gundam pilots to be a cut above the usual. Exactly how depends on whether you're going for a gritty feel like 0079 or something less serious like G Gundam.

Locations - Gundam settings usually have self-contained space colonies, either in orbit around Earth or at various Lagrange points.

What time period? I'm guessing sometime around UC 0120, given that's when Mars Zeon was a big thing?

When and where will it occur?

Whats the motivation for a bunch of assholes to band thoughter who can pilot moble suits?

Will they pilot GM and zaku or will you allow zeon prototypes/a mother fucking gundam

How will they cruse around the solar system? What will theyre white base look like?

And lastly
Can i play?

What system are you using to run it?

This, dying for a system that isn't fate or Jovian chronicles

I would suggest incorporating Jupiter Energy fleet locations and sub plots in. Maybe one side is making a gamble to frame the other side for an attack on the Jupiter Energy fleet, in hopes that the fleet will retaliate and cut off their energy supply.

So, original Gundam setting as in one of your own creation or Original Gundam setting as in UC 0079 and later.

What are the best systems for a gundam game?

MEKTON

Could try Mobile Suit Mechanicus
1d4chan.org/wiki/Mobile_Suit_Mechanicus

It's based on Dark Heresy and the fan made Adeptus Evangelion so I don't know how well it runs, being a d20 native myself.

Meh

No.

BCG, Jovian Chronicles, and Fate are pretty much the go-to systems for Gundam games because they're the only ones that don't suck multiple layers of ass and shit.

Building from the ground up

I'm going to play in an original setting as in one not from a TV show. I created the setting.

>I'm needing ideas for gundam pilots and soldiers weapons and locations and side quests
For inspiration for my Original Creation Gundam: Donut Steel campaign I just ripped off Frame Arms models and kitbashes for various mobile suits.

When and where will it occur?
My creation/original setting.

Whats the motivation for a bunch of assholes to band thoughter who can pilot moble suits?
They start off as employees of a Mars based delivery service.

Will they pilot GM and zaku or will you allow zeon prototypes/a mother fucking gundam
I'm allowing them to pilot gundams.

How will they cruse around the solar system? What will theyre white base look like?
They will be Mars land locked to start out with. Space travel is expensive.

And lastly
Can i play?
I'm always looking for new people to play.

The D20 modern Giant Mech rules. Never used them before.

I like this idea a bunch, thank you!

Sorry for being vague. The setting will be my own creation.

The ones in the d20 Future splat? Oh god. No, nooooo. Bad idea.

Those are some very, very bad mechanics. Hardness/HP and weapon damage scales for shit, combat takes FOREVER at Mobile Suit size scales, mecha combat isn't balanced for fighting against other mecha, and just every aspect of those rules are very poorly thought out and were probably never fully playtested.

And I'm not just shitting on d20, I've tried running a campaign with those rules before and me and my players unanimously decided to scrap those rules and NEVER use them again.

If you INSIST on using the d20 system, use the attached mecha rules from Guardians of Order, they're INFINITELY better. Trust me.

Mobile suit designs are pretty much taken care of for me. There are a shit ton of them online I've found.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll take a look at these.

My bad. Those are the rules that we are going by.

That's a relief.

There's still better choices of systems, but the d20 Mecha rules beat the d20 Future mecha rules hands down, simply because they actually fucking WORK, something that the d20 Future mecha rules fail to do.

What is everyone's stance on energy weapons? One of the PCs suggested that they are only usable in space due to the extreme temperatures they generate. Space cools them essentially. I liked the idea.

>Gundam Veeky Forums
Aww yis

Dumping MSes

That's not how the vacuum of space works. Gundam was originally quite solid scientifically, sixty-foot murder robots and not-psionics notwithstanding.

Also, if you're doing Original Gundam Setting Do Not Steal (sorry, I had to) then I'd recommend using Battle Century G. The rules don't suck cock, although it leans a bit more towards the sillier, less gritty end of Gundam.

Doesn't exactly help when I want to do a grimdark UC campaign, but hey. That's what Fate is for.

>sixty-foot murder robots and not-psionics notwithstanding.

Well, they we're somekind of powersuit originally.

And after the redesign, Tomino intended for it to stay in space, but the sponsors says "nah, it doesn't sell, bad idea."

But somehow, i agree with them, for if it happens otherwise, animes will not takes so much turn like it was now.

For me, i just handwave it that the UC peoples already master the robotic science and advance thermodynamics, and with the recent boom of asteroid mining, there's plenty of lighter and more resilent materiels running around. Hell, we're talking about a society that can build 36 kilometers long space colonies in thousands here, and can replace them in a flip of a hand, MSes was small times for them.

The ultimate looser

I dunno, Zeon had to build most of their mobile suits out of good old-fashioned steel instead of any wonder-metal. Most mobile suits use helium as a coolant/energy transfer medium, according to some sources and Mark Simmons.

>Space cools them essentially.
That's literally the opposite of how heat works in space.

>Zeon had to build most of their mobile suits out of good old-fashioned steel instead of any wonder-metal

Nope, they're using steel-titanium alloy to the bones in the early models (the reasons that zakus are clocking at 90 tons), then with full titanium alloy in the latter models (like Kampfer and Gelgoogs) and added composites armor that maybe also includes somekind of carbon nanofiber layering if you want to be that light.

Then they go for the wonderous luna titanium aka. gundarium (mostly the weaker beta type) in Mid UC (Zeta and ZZ)

I always dreamt of a post apocalyptic setting where Earth has been almost destroyed and is now as badly viable as Mars and where the Solar System went back to a feudal system.
There would be several kingdoms both on Earth, Mars, and in space station in between.
The 3 Gundams would come from a secret organisation hidden on the moon that kept a lot of lost technologies from the past and wants to bring civilization back in the system. The twist would be that it's actually that organisation that caused the apocalyptic war in the beginning 100 years ago and that their leader is still the same, kept alive using an old tecnology. He would be the final boss when his mind is put into a all powerful MS.

Remember that Gundam is, fundamentally, a character-driven series. You're going to need a lot of NPCs, from mechanics to clerks to love interests.

Like, it ain't just about war. In fact, fighting is probably the least important part of the whole campaign. It's about the atmosphere.

Also, if the PCs are all piloting Gundams, they're an incredibly deadly force. They're like some kind of strike team, elite unit or shock troopers meant to hit somewhere impossibly hard for maximum effect. People should be scared shitless of them.

If you've read the Godlike campaign Black Devils' Brigade, it's a good example of how to do a war story.

This so fucking much. It's actually why I had the idea of the feudal system. Having charismatic space Kings and their knights fighting a war makes creating interesting yet simple side characters easier IMO, easily taking inspiration from medieval tales and video games like Fire Emblem.

Forgot pic for the third Gundam.

I've done one where the players were literally the Space Knights of the Round Table. Each one had a sword that would summon his Gundam when he needed it.

Also, Morganna was a holographic vixen.

Yours sounds more like a less serious serie like G Gundam.
Mine would be more like the more recent IBO or like Turn A in term of tone.

Sooo, Turn A and IBO crossover?

Basically.
I got the idea from playing Fire Emblem 4 and thinking about Orga wanting to become King of Mars.

Nigga please, all the stat readouts state it's high-tensile steel, not titanium alloy.