/epg/ - Eclipse Phase General

Jovian Chain Gang edition

>>OFFICIAL BOOKS
robboyle.wordpress.com/eclipse-phase-pdfs
>>Transhumanity's FATE (FATE Conversion)
mediafire.com/download/ae113ujgd3hggpl/Transhumanitys_FATE.pdf
>>X-Risks and After The Fall
mega.nz/#F!KwcS0bJK!9KLjZegzebaq-mlPUin45Q
>>Chuck's Eclipse Phase Wiki
eclipse-phase.wikispaces.com/

PLAY AIDS:
>>the10 things you should know about Eclipse Phase
docs.google.com/document/d/1Qnrh0w7H0Jl2_CSsySRxcs4ugw27xsBIk5MYwXq2nDQ/edit
>>Advice for new players and GMs
pastebin.com/e0EErN6X
>>Eclipse Phase hacking cheet sheet
eclipsephase.com/downloads/voidstate_eclipse_phase_hacking_cheatsheet_v1-1.pdf
>>Online character creator
eclipsephase.next-loop.com/Creator/version4/index.php
/view/?axe1vs35muk4juh
>>Eclipse Phase xls Character sheet
sites.google.com/site/eclipsephases/home/cabinet
>>Downloadable Character Creator
mediafire.com/file/5wr4yo6bdymuijr/Agency.exe
>>Singularity: The Official Character Creator
mediafire.com/file/fsmkm846acu6kcy/singularity.zip

COMMUNITY CONTENT:
>>the 3 new adventures for your use in convenient PDF form
awdaberton.wordpress.com/about/
>>Ander's Sandberg's Eclipse Phase fanmade content, including several modules
aleph.se/EclipsePhase/
>>Farcast: An Eclipse Phase yearblog full of items, locations, NPCs, and plot hooks
mediafire.com/download/dhqd1m83xc1wmpj/Farcast_Yearblog_2013.pdf
>>The Ultimate's Guide to Combat
eclipsephase.com/sites/default/files/UltimatesGuideToCombat11a.pdf
>>Seedware: Another Yearblog
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/36317552/Seedware Blog.pdf
>>H-Rep: A Homebrew Blog
ephrep.blogspot.com/

/EPG/ HOMEBREW CONTENT
docs.google.com/document/d/19Gy02gp6-WPQ3SoN_24kLPTUu5EjFO8qh_9pjJSVrrY/edit

Previous Thread: >>>Break Rocks
>Get Metals
>Try not to get ionizing supercancer
>A Jovian Prison story

Post volcanic hellholes.

Have copious amounts of gay or lesbian sex

See, I'm not even sure which of these two would be worse. Neither of these are places I want to be.

what the FUCK are those

Books? Go to Veeky Forums and you'll see a whole bunch of pseuds masturbating to their book collections and talking about how reading and owning paper books is much more patricians than ebooks. I'm sure the attitude would only exacerbate if paper books become rarer and less necessary.

I'm just going to assume he's a biocon because that fits my narrative of this setting and I wish to start argument #431,843 on /epg/ on the Jovian ~Junta~.

Venus. By a wide, wide margin.

Books. Made from wood pulp. The real kind.

Plebs like you probably don't know what that is

Jokes on you idiot, my muse already told me what it means the minute that last syllable left your meat mouth, so I know what it is!

I'm not familiar enough with the setting to know who the hell this dude is, but I'm sure you don't have to be a biocon to enjoy this kind of memorabilia.

If you use books in 10 AF it either means you're a presumptuous jackass, a brain-damaged biocon who's living in the last century on outdated, deluded notions of antiquity, or an exsurgent.

-posted from my Firewall bunker

He's a guy in a piece of art.

But also wearing what looks like smart clothing.

Honestly you'd probably have to be pretty rich to bother with physical books in 10 AF.

Why would exsurgents use paper books?

Well exsurgents often think in alien, inscrutable, or illogical ways. Owning books in 10 AF is illogical and not practical. The only justifications to having one is if you're a rich hypercorp brat or a biocon. Or if you're infected by some weird exsurgent virus that makes you collect novelty items for whatever reason.

Collecting books printed on Earth? That would be pretty expensive. On the other hand I doubt it would be hard for your local fab to make a bunch of cellulose sheets and put symbols on them.

In my opinion, there are three kinds of people who subscribe to an ultra-utilitarian lifestyle, without even the basest of creature comforts:
-hipsters,
-poorfags, and
-hipster poorfags.

Space concerns. Volume is a premium. A book sucks up volume for information you can store an unspeakably large amount of in an thing the size of a credit card. In large open habs, not a problem, but many smaller constructs will, y'know have space limits.

That's also not counting storage for micrograv.

This. Those books are probably worth a fortune if they are originals. Otherwise hipster peeps probably have a few of their favorite books ( or books they think make them look the coolest) like how people sometimes buy new vinyl records now

Well, Earth nostalgia is supposed to be a big cultural force right now.

I'd expect in hand with plenty of people might own one or two "books" which are their personal favorite or whatever to stash in a footlocker, but standing shelves is probably limited to martian apartments (or your equivalent)

I guess the God-Emperor of Reclaimed Earth dude moved on, huh?

We haven't seen a shitty timeline about how Jove won and won and won without ever facing any serious challenges again.

Careful now. Speak of that Devil, and he will appear.

Shitposting about shitposters is still shitposting. Just silently count your lucky stars and talk about something unlikely to summon him back from the void.

On that note what are some cool characters you anons have played/really want to make? I've been reading through x risks and now I want to play a guy who was either a normal dude or a previous firewall guy who ended up kidnapped goby an exhuman soul-eater, strapped into that "goya" machine but won the mental duel, and now has is struggling with a lot of knowledge/memories of being an exhuman

I kind of want to play an octopus uplift who's fallen in romantic love but feels these feelings clash against being incapable of sustained interaction with people and being full of predatory instincts towards other people.

I've always wanted to play an AGI, but I'll save fleshing out the concept for when I get in a group. That way, I can get context for the game and the party and tailor a character that fits both.

Who the octopus fall in love with another octopus or a different transhuman? Another PC in the party?

Real genuine book form old earth. So an incredibly ostentatious display of personal wealth

I'm perma GM, so I have lots of character concepts I've made or thought of but never really tried.

Like a Lost who hunts Asyncs who abuse their powers.

Not God Emperor, think more of Dune/Fading Suns setting with more high tech for nobles which seems like magic to others

Eclipse Phase Future

+10 years
Great Reclamation War

The Jovian-Lunar alliance together with its Ultimate and Reclaimer allies defeats Planetary Consortium and imposes rule over Mars, stopping terraforming efforts.

The remaining Planetary Consortium leaders and factions either fleet to exoplanets through remaining gates, Titan, Outer System or even beyond to void of interstellar Space.

+50 years

The Great Work

Earth is cleansed and slowly re-settled with the vast armies and fleets of Inner System waging a relentless war against the remaining infestation.
Vast technological advances are discovered but kept confined to the military and intelligence of Lunar-Jovian alliance.

Iapetus becomes active and significant portion of its surface converts into energy, destroying all habitats around Saturn, including the Titan Commonwealth. The cause of this remains a mystery.

The Ultimates leave Solar System for regions unknown.

All known Gates closed and sealed. All access forbidden and heavy security presence stationed in all known locations.

+100 years

Remaining spawn on Earth eliminated. Major re-settlement begins from Mars, Luna and the colonies.

Consolidation of Inner System and reformation of the organization into True Human Empire. Morphs outside splicers banned with the exception of the military and special divisions of the Empire. The Empire is led by elected Autarch by representatives of the Senate, Military and Intelligence Services.

The remaining Outers unite and reclaim settlements of Saturn,Uranus and Neptun, naming themselves the Transhuman League.

An attempted coup by a faction in Empire's military is thwarted by Intelligence services, and revealed as transhuman plot. All members executed.

+100 to 150 years
Fragmentation Wars
The Transhuman League strikes, attempting to incite uprisings on Luna

I think though that I will expand it more, so more time passes.

Also there would be trade Sleeper Ships from Alpha Centauri and Tau Ceti coming cyclically to trade exotic animals, plants for Earth art, artists, scholars and so on.

I'm not into Jovian wankary. But one of my major gripes with EP is that the setting doesn't seem lived in. I'd enjoyed it much more if it was a long time after the fall and all the major communities had their own history, culture and quirks. Anyone else feels this way?

I've always wanted to play an ex-Ultimate who's given up trying to become the ubermensch and just wants to be left alone to live a simple epicurean life as a Solarian or in the Martian out back, but can still kick ass if people try to fuck around.

Speaking as a Minimalist in real life, I would say my attraction to it is primarily driven by my fascination with Ascetics, mostly Gnostic Christian ones, my family's conspicuous consumption as well as their tendency to Hoard. You would honestly be surprised how far I get with two moleskins, a tablet and a laptop.
>I'm perma GM, so I have lots of character concepts I've made or thought of but never really tried.
Same here Pal, I tend to work concepts that I would otherwise use as PCs as Villains, Contacts or BBEGs, that way you still get something of a character creation fix.

And then just imagine what you can do when your tablet is smaller than a phone and your laptop is your brain!

>The Jovian-Lunar alliance together with its Ultimate and Reclaimer allies
How the fuck does that happen?

It's just a timeline put together to annoy people on a Ukrainian autism awareness imageboard, thinking about it isn't really worth it.

What is that? A giant transparent tank of Mercury or something?

They're a bit short on history since the fall was only 10 years previous, but they've got plenty of quirks and culture

I agree with this, though I like how short the recent history is. It makes the setting feel as though it has less of a status quo and that things could still majorly change. Makes orgs like Firewall make more sense to me.

There would be no way to prove they are originals with the high quality of replication available.

The idea that this is possible but living tissue can't be created is among the most ridiculous ideas in the setting

Yeah after being exposed to fucked up Mesh illusions and "lol just a prank bro" shit from the Mesh despite being protected by "top level Mesh infosec" I'll stick with an ecto or physical computer, thanks. Don't need to be a biocon to come to that conclusion

>living tissue can't be created is among the most ridiculous ideas in the setting
It's also completely false. State of the art in 10 AF allows for tissue reconstruction, but the tech isn't totally mature (and mostly within healing vats). What you're thinking of is the slower forced growth technology.

Yeah, and it's ridiculous that you have to sit around waiting for tissue to grow but you can somehow make a copy of an ancient book replicated so faithfully that a team of whoever specializes in that sort of thing couldn't tell the difference.

But bounded stacks of wood pulp sheets are far simpler to produce, by any means, than living biological tissue. Why does it not make sense that the simpler task is simpler?

It makes sense that the task of producing books in general is simpler. It does not make sense that the task of replicating an existing book made of biological material with such fidelity that it can't be told from the original using electron microscopy and other laboratory techniques is simpler.

Okay, but nobody actually said that. Specifically anyway, those weren't mentioned.

Only one guy said you'd never be able to tell, and he did not actually cite any sort of precedent there. We do know there are markets in fake Earth artifacts - not that the artifact authenticity game is so weak as to not be able to tell the difference with proper methodology.

Actually, question I should know but don't recall, can you carbon date paper? I don't think that'd be accurate enough for something is it was just printed pre-Fall.

>can you carbon date paper?
Not only that, but if the wood pulp has a large enough grain you can do limited dendrochronological analysis.

Note to self add "forgery" to the list of things I want to know about in Crime, if the devs ever ask about it.

Oh snap, EP just sent out a tweet that Transhuman backers are getting something in their inbox. I'm pretty sure that can only be Argonauts (yet it is that old) so hopefully pdf soon.

Confirmed by the forum, PDF was sent to KS backers (so if any of those are lurking around here). Otherwise we begin the waiting game for a regular release.

I'll just leave this here....

bless you user
bless you

Open source hab administration system...

What about it?

Probably if EP wasn't such a toxic and dangerous world where everyone and their mother may try to hack your hab I would have been more open to the idea of using single open source operating system for a whole hab.

As it stands I don't think it is such a good idea.

Linux is the most secure desktop OS and it's open source

The nice thing about open source systems is they're not full of back doors that companies put in so they can sell your data

>Magnus Ming is a proxy
>A fucking proxy

Shit. I'm drunk and I got them backwards.

Everybody who isn't a Sentinel is a proxy - technically. This includes eggheads like Crows or Scanners.

So, new real plot hook, besides all the general argonaut shit. ELRON, the Argonauts of OZMA.

Also, hey, new images!

Reading through this now. Looking at some things I think are interesting. T

he argonauts were able to use private funds to start making their own habs. Either they've got some serious backing or colonization is cheaper than I thought.

Pandora Gates are listed as contaminating technology. I'm guessing because of invasive species risk. Repair spray is self upgrading.

(Now) rogue Argonauts succeeded in stealing samples of a Factor from them, but were destroyed by the Medeans to keep the peace with them. Unless they weren't completely...

Transhuman nanobots were sometimes self replicating pre-fall.

Markov uses the same layout as the Iapetus Complex, all but outright saying that an ASI is based there.

Argonauts work with Singularity Seeking Exhumans almost as much as Firewall.

Mycroft (promethean) is a Firewall Proxy.

I can't find anything on "The Voice" listed as an antagonist to the Argonauts on page 122 of Sunward. Anyone know what that is?

>Transhuman nanobots were sometimes self replicating pre-fall.
Eat shit, headcanon user.

The Voice
Another prominent but far more radical and mysterious mercurial leader is known only as the Voice. Reputed to be on the run from its previous hypercorp jailers, the Voice travels only via darkcast and under assumed identities, moving from habitat to habitat and never staying in the same place two nights in a row. Though rumored to often sleeve as a neo-raven, some whisper that this is a deliberate choice to hide their original phenotype. Paranoid, sure, but if you’re involved in radical politics, another word for paranoid is careful.
The Voice is a speaker and organizer for the more militant end of the mercurial movement—those willing to engage in direct action and sabotage to promote their cause. Neither separatist nor anti-human, the Voice argues that action must be taken to undermine the hypercorps and other authorities that continue to exploit uplifts and control their futures. An anonymous, decentralized network of mercurials supports this effort, with the Voice recruiting new members and helping existing cells operate and communicate clandestinely.
According to some charges, the Voice has provided many of these radical mercurials with essential information to carry out their objectives, whether they were assisting indentured uplifts in escaping, exposing unethical experiments to the mesh, inflicting an economic toll on continued uplift research, or stealing proprietary genetic data to leak to mercurial researchers. It is not known where the Voice gets their data, which seems to come from inside sources, but it is highly reliable.

Only reference I found by searching the wiki.

Other than, y'know, the word "voice" being used in the text.

Gonna guess source is panopticon?

This is pretty boring overall

I wanted a book full of super science

Instead I got a book full of minute details about procedure and administration

>That image
I don't get it.

No new tech at all.

I agree the book is boring and quite a disappointment, particularly given how long it took to release.

I don't normally like the Argonauts and it made them seem interesting enough for to want to play. That's way more valuable than some more gear and morphs, with is bullshit bloat that Posthuman has previously said they want to avoid.

Yeah, I'm not sure the material couldn't have been split between Transhuman and like Firewall or X-Risks. Obviously it took some cues from those works which it couldn't when originally funded but I guess... stretch goals or something? It adds bits of detail which are really good and neat it just seems awkwardly placed in a mini-source.

He obviously has both space and gravity. You don't have to assume that every hab is stringent on space and mass efficiency that they're hotbunking.

The future means having 9000x the number of crevices to clean.

>mechanical content is bloat

The future means having little robots who do that

>can you carbon date paper?
I think the more interesting is what are carbon isotope ratios like across the solar system?

If you're sourcing your material on the atomic level then screwing with isotope ratios is easy. Marine life will date 440 years older than it really is if you calibrate your test for surface life. Get your carbon from a log you pulled out of a peat bog and bam, now you're dating it to thousands of years old.

This is because C14 on Earth is produced in the atmosphere by neutron bombardment of N14. While similar bombardment will undoubtedly occur on the surface of extraterrestrial bodies, subsurface deposits should contain essentially no C14.

The isotope ratio that would be harder to deal with is C12/C13. This is detectably different on Mars, for instance, as seen in the attached file.

There are methods which could be used to adjust the isotope ratios of your material, but this process is getting quite complicated at that point.

Personally this was exactly what I wanted. Previously I felt that I didn't really know enough about the Argonauts to play one or use them in my games, but now they're much better fleshed out.

Superscience would have been cool as well, but I can keep looking around the OA wiki and similar for inspiration there so I'm ok with not getting it direct from devs. More adventure hooks would have been nice, but it's not like I've even scratched the surface of what already exists though.

There's definitely some interesting forensic possibilities with figuring out where something was made.

Well, I'm pretty sure if you're forging books in a fabber to sell as authentic earth relics - made from real trees! - your carbon source is probably dug out of an asteroid, or recycled from organic waste or however else you get carbon to say, make fullerenes or nanotubes or whatever. If you have a peat bog log that's a fucking Earth relic in of itself.

The more complex and intermediary question though is what would carbon isotope levels be like in habs which can develop greenspace? Cylinders or the big Lunar cities can grow actual trees, theoretically which you could break down either with fabrication or just the old fashioned way.

Argonauts=Exsurgenauts

Transhumanism is a disease. Jovian reconquista is the cure.

The quality of EP has declined as they became more politically involved.

5 pages into Argonauts and already political propaganda about "bad behaviour on internet","climate change is bad","USA bad"

Looks like full course towards cuckdom has raken place.

I mean, it is a book about academics. You talked to college professors lately?

Why the fuck is Firewall so anti-Singularity Seeker? Bunch of fucking evolution terrified downies.

Too late. Earth has already been claimed by the Reconquista in G.

bremsstrahlung/10

Yes. They don't want EP to be a game of "run out and buy the newest book for the best gear and morphs!" like, say, 3.5 D&D/

I live in Poland, my uni professor talks about zionist conspiracies and that women should be in the kitchen. And I am not making this up.

How do you deal with in-character generated stress?

I mean, EP has clear rules that stablish stress as something that happens from clasical dangers and grotestque imaginery, but what about colony administrators that simply found one button that might trigger an armaggedon or do nothing? Theoretically I should ask my players to roll Will for that but those kinds of stress but I cannot tell them how to play their own characters because not everyone reacts equally to these kind of things.

Why would you roll will for finding a button?

Well, that kind of is the point of the WIL roll. You encounter a situation which might shake or upset you and see if you can stay together or if the stress turns into serious mental damage. Keep the SV light, though - mundane situations are usually 1d10/2.

Helplessness, Encountering Highly Advanced Technology, Failing a Motivational Goal, Knowledge your Death is imminent - depending on what the button does there could be all kind of Stress test triggers.

Because you don't know what will happen but you have the impressions that its not going to be a good thing... like a nuke or freeing TITAN nanoswarm.

I've been dropping hints to the players that the entire solar system they're playing in for a few months now is not right... or they're all collectively going insane.
Now, I recently marathoned WestWorld, and I got this idea to completely throw them down the rabbit hole.

The players are actually just AGI's locked in a simulation of the solar system running who-knows-how-many-times-faster-than-real-life, being trained in loops in order to act as either diplomats or generals in the coming Singularity event that the TITANs expect sooner or later.

Of course, everything goes to shit when the Bracewell probe does its business. The TITANS get fed instructions that override everything they are and become essentially trapped in their own "bodies" awake as the exsurgent virus does its thing.

The simulation stops, the AGI players begin to remember the millions of cycles they've experienced through the Fall, post-Fall and every possibility in between a Golden Age of Mankind, and the Total Extinction of Mankind - quickly transcending their modest AGI beginnings. At this point, I hope the players will understand they will need to lead the Prometheans to save mankind (shouldn't be that hard, I mean - they already know that the Prometheans will save mankind during the Fall). Like a time travel campaign with a closed loop, except it's not really time travel.

Fade to black, end the campaign. Maybe the players will encounter mysterious characters that seem to know waaaay too much about pre-Fall life, or have creepily accurate predictions of the future.
Those AGIs end up becoming the founders of Firewall/OZMA, attempting to save mankind from extinction and free the TITANs from their endless waking nightmare

Am I just being retarded or is this a good idea? Also, I think this is a framework that is open enough to avoid railroading, but I dunno.

It doesn't make a lot of sense.

>The creation in the 1990s of a global information network put humanity on the path to becoming transhumanity, but it also enabled a lot of bad behavior and exposed, suddenly and shockingly, through mass access to news and data, the degree to which our civilization was breaking down, eroding, self-harming. Worse, the personalization of content delivery based on past consumption habits divided societies by creating alternate realities in which citizens of opposing political persuasions couldn’t even agree on basic facts. There was a fundamental misalignment between opposing parties—manipulated by big data solutions with ulterior motives—in conflict after conflict. Inability of the aggrieved parties to align on what color the sky was during negotiations fed the civil disorder and bloody interstate conflicts that weakened transhumanity prior to the Fall.

Shitposting and echo chambers are an an x-risk, discuss.