/fvgt/ Friendly Virtual Gaming Thread

Friendly Virtual Gaming Thread - /fvgt/
Welcome to the Friendly Virtual Gaming Thread. Here we aim to be the FLGS of Veeky Forums, finding free resources to make it easy for Veeky Forums users to jump right into traditional gaming, and
forming a small community around that.
Its chiefly for people who play online instead of in person, to talk about the specifics of online ttrpg.
We also try to get various amounts of shit done, whether it's writing, homebrew, art, or whatever else deemed worthy of Veeky Forums. Have a project? Come and pitch it to us. Don't have one? Come and shoot the shit with us anyway.

1. Check the PDF for the game
2. Post a request for a game, using the suggested resource, either here or in the Game Finder Thread
3. If there's a particular game you're looking for that we don't have a resource as of yet, let us know and we can work to expand our list.
4. Finally, hang around and chat. There's always some crazy project someone is Working on.

>Recent Projects
-BattleBox3D resources
-Various amounts of Art and Writing
-Fading Embers
-New Post-Apocalyptic Setting:
Last thread (OP) # several were developing a setting as part of a Living Campaign project, where we eventually attempt to get a couple of GM's to collaborate on running multiple systems within the same multiverse

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!LgkTkBpA!ELiC1czK7uEpeTPCZnzslg
rolisteam.org/download
youtube.com/watch?v=L6cs-4jn6ds
terabit-software.co.uk
alternativeto.net/software/tattoo/
youtube.com/watch?v=MiuLeTE2MeQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Bump for virtual stuff.

Summary of the setting so far:

It originally started as "What if we ran a Mad Max campaign," but once an user suggested adding alien tech to it, it blew up into a huge post-apocalyptic setting borrowing elements from various sources, including Tri-Gun, Borderlands, and Fist of the North Star.

The planet Babylon was originally an Earth-like planet with perhaps a few settlements and cities on it. However, in a climactic battle between two major star fleets, a massive nuclear weapon was deployed, setting off a chain reaction between every other nuclear weapon and power source in the battle, causing nearly all of them to simultaneously detonate, and the ships to destabilize their orbit. The resulting crash and nuclear fallout on Babylon transformed the planet into a torrential landscape of nearly uninhabitable wastelands. A century later and the survivors of the event are struggling to survive, living off of what habitable lands survive and using whatever tech they can salvage from the crash, and from bits of space debris that finally comes crashing in from orbit.

(Continued)

Here's what we've got so far for the Post-Apocalyptic setting.

The setting has 5 major factions and 5 minor ones, which we're still trying to fill out.

Major:
1. Raiders: Clans of adrenaline junkies, barbarians, and madmen led by Warlords to pillage resources from other settlements using scrap-metal vehicles and the like.

2. Church of Technology: "MACHINA VULT!" Crusaders that make their own power armor out of scrap. About as effective as bulletproof medieval armor with gadgets stuck on. Believe in the power of the tech that's provided for them, and that one day a spaceship will come for them to return them to their rightful place among the stars.

Minor:
1. Molemen: Mole Beastmen that remain mostly neutral among the major factions. Their dominion is relatively peaceful, but stories tell of people that venture too deep into the earth, never to be heard from again.

2. Plague Doctors: Medical Zealots that believe in purging the mutants from Babylon, and cleansing the people of their hardships

3. Martial Artists: small organizations of martial practitioners. Different styles, different beliefs throughout, but are ever-present throughout the land. Some join for protection, training and belonging, others for power.

I have a suggestion for two major factions, and 1 minor, and one that could belong in either:

First, the remnants of the two fleets locked in battle during the war, that are still fighting to this day. Could be Alien vs. Human, but I like the idea of more diverse groups: Federation vs. Republic, Empire, etc.

And for the Minor, probably Mutants that consider themselves superior to humans, and group together against those that reject them, especially the Plague Doctors.

Finally, for both I suggested last time that we add Flyboys using aircraft made from ship parts. Could be small in numbers, but their aerial advantage gives them the power of a major faction, or they could just be a minor faction, an aerial version of Raiders. Either way, it's an opportunity to put Top Gun into our setting in a somewhat cohesive manner.

Page 9 bump.

What's happening in the ocean in this setting? I like the idea of heavily mutated sea monsters that makes fishing for food incredibly difficult, almost suicidal, but the presence there means that someone is going to be crazy enough to try it.

Ok, so I've been kicking around a concept for a while now. The RPG Catalog. Basically a page on the Wiki where we attempt to provide somewhat unbiased opinions on RPG systems, and various settings that they could conceivably run. The idea is that we eventually manage to build up enough options in the list that we have an instant reply to "What System do I use to Run X?" And we're able to build up that list as more and more suggestions come along. Thoughts?

Sounds like a prelude to a flamewar.

Yeah. I mean, I have to write "Some people like GURPS, some don't, it may or may not be right for you," in the description for it. That could very well apply to any other system, but I have to write it there because I know Shit will be flung otherwise.

How are those assets for bb3d going fellas?

I posted a link last time. I didn't bother converting them from .obj though, because the dev said he'd drop us a new version with support.

This link?
mega.nz/#F!LgkTkBpA!ELiC1czK7uEpeTPCZnzslg
So far it only has stuff for Fading Embers

Ah, yeah. I've been thinking of fulfilling requests. What is it you want?

Warmahordes and terrain pieces

I'll see what I can do. I've got a friend who grabs the actual models and such for me, so it takes around 24 hours for him to get it to me.

What the ripping process like?

Him downloading the mods from the TTS workshop to his computer, zipping them into a folder, and then uploading them so I can sort through them and make them BB3D compatible.

Newer PDF, now with More Stuff™. A friend of mine suggested "Gravenwort" for the plague doctors' base. Nothing's set in stone so far, though, so I'm still open to changing it.

Also, what do you guys think of the TechnoCult being called "The Followers of Prometheus"?

I like the suggestions. I think the angry mutants could more or less be a category of raider, just with a more specific agenda. And a more stable faction would be pretty good, in the form of a 'Federation' or something, which could be dealing with an uprising in the form of a rebel group of towns. It's a different sort of conflict than most of the rest of the setting, so it'll give it some good contrast.

Plus the flyboys fit well as a minor group: there's a TON of value in bush flying, and now that you've suggested it it definitely makes the most sense for things like the plague doctors distributing medicine and the like.

Someone tried to do something like that once, in an effort to have a big compiled resource for total newbies who wanted to know what to check out. Don't know what became of it after that, and I dunno exactly what you'd search for on any archives to find that, though.

doesn't sound complicated but does sound time consuming.

pretty much.

Ok, so does anyone have an alternative to Roll20 as a Groupfinder, not as a tabletop platform? I'm thinking we could help solve a lot of issues by expanding the playerbase one has access to.

Oh, and while browsing for alternatives, I found this: rolisteam.org/download

youtube.com/watch?v=L6cs-4jn6ds

The gamefinder thread right here on Veeky Forums

Right, but even more than that. The idea is that you have more options overall to choose from, in the hopes that you (hopefully) manage to find Good Players and Good Games.

Oh hey, Rolisteam, I haven't heard of that one in a long while. Like Maptools, but simpler and without the terrible obtuse interface.

bump.

If there are textures for models that need repainting, I can offer my services.

Post that bump
Get past the slump

When a good thread comes along
You must bump it

Before the cream sets out too long
You must bump it

Now you're asking for too much.

I imagine people will enjoy painting digital models just like physical models, we just lack the tools.

>I imagine people will enjoy painting digital models just like physical models, we just lack the tools.

It's not really hard to do with Blender, actually. I followed the instructions on a tutorial page and was up and painting in about five minutes.

What tutorial?

I googled "blender texture paint" and found something; I didn't save the link though.
Basically you import the model, unwrap it, add a texture, and go to texture paint mode. I also split the screen and added a UV/texture edit window so I could see the changes to the texture itself and do detail work there if needed.
Sadly I kinda suck at texture work; it's the first time I'd ever done it. (I have spent a couple hours dicking around with Blender previously, doing shitty models)

Fascinating
I imagine it could be possible to paint a texture in a separated program like photoshop

Yeah, that's how it's traditionally been done, but you can't see your changes until you reload it, and that can be tricky when you're starting out since the unwrapped texture is like the skin of an apple that you've peeled off -- its shape can be a little confusing.

I've found a nice little program that works quite nicely called Tattoo. It's free, lightweight. pretty easy to handle, and works like you're actually painting a physical model. Sculptris also works, but I've had issues with importing certain models.

At the very least, Tattoo is good for creating an initial texture you can then edit in Photoshop.

Actually that's where Tattoo is prett nice. You paint the model in 3d using paintbrush tools like in MSpaint.

terabit-software.co.uk

I don't know how it's rendering its fonts, but Wine sure doesn't like it. Weird. It also seems to be unstable on Linux, I've gotten a couple crashes just fooling with it.

alternativeto.net/software/tattoo/

Try something here. You can set your search options to be Linux specific and/or free.

Ok, Meta-user is at it again, so let's make an effort to keep this thread, Love&Krieg, and other good threads bumped. Our principle motto has always been to drown out bad threads with original content.

Yeah, I looked at that before trying to get Tattoo to work. For free software and Free software too that can do this on Linux, it's pretty much Blender time.
Which is fine, once you figure out Blender's way of doing stuff I gather it's an excellent tool.

Now we continue to sing this song.
Don't forget to bump it.

bump of duty

Maybe, but it might be nice to find some options.

____BUMP_____

You're just asking for too much
The freaks go out at night, the creeps stay online.

bump.

bump

Alright, so... anyone have any ideas about these two factions?

Federation vs. Imperium?

Relax user

I think it'd be fairly amusing if the two factions were something fairly similar, and were fighting for some fairly trivial reason that spiralled out of control. So something like Federation vs Republic, or Republic vs Commonwealth.

Of course, whatever they were before has become twisted after the surviving groups. What might have been nationalism in space is now Jingoism on the planet.

page 10 bump

Give us something to talk about

Has anyone used The Everchanging Book of Names?

never heard of it before, looked it up and looks sweet as hell.

Am I the only person here who doesn't have any dice and always rellays on the RNG of Roll20 or similar?
Recently I saw youtube.com/watch?v=MiuLeTE2MeQ and since then I've been concerned on how good are those RNGs

That's exploiting a pretty lousy RNG algorithm. A good RNG algorithm should provide much better randomness than the Super Mario 64 RNG.
Roll20's is supposed to be pretty good; I remember they made some "quantum RNG" update which I think involved hardware (real) randomness generation.
(Related trivia: Generally speaking, bad dice will produce biased results, while bad computer RNGs will produce predictable patterns.)

I knew about the quantum thing and that it was server side but I never knw that it was hardware based, that is just so conforting now.

I think it's hardware based, I don't really remember what they said at the time.

I thought it was based on plugging in numbers using numbers generated from the current time in nanoseconds.

That's the standard software RNG method, and is pretty good. However, if they "upgraded" to that, then their previous method must have been total how-do-i-wrote-code shite.

This looks pretty nice if someone needs a writing idea:

When something's goin' wrong
You must bump it!