Warhammer 40k General - /40kg/

Viable assaults when? edition

Previous thread
>THIS IS THE ROSTER CREATOR, IF YOU USE IT, PLEASE FUCKING KILL YOURSELF
webapplications-webroster.rhcloud.com/rc/web/#/rosterCreator

>Rules and such. Use Readium for epubs. Sorry, it's shit but it'll read 3s.
mega.nz/#F!BxI1HSgI!0tKymKh9RZTzGpgIA5EyCg
mega.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ

>Dank Daily Duncan
youtube.com/watch?v=E_h6PLHig28

>Latest GW teases
warhammer-community.com/warhammer-40000/

>Latest GW attempts to fuck up your list
games-workshop.com/en-JP/Rules-Errata

>40K 7th Edition Quick Reference Sheets:
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4104995/Games/7edRef.pdf

>Forge World Book Index:
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Forge_World_and_Apocalypse_Rules_Index

>The Black Library (You're racking up alot of fines for that copy of the codex astartes, please return it Farsight)
mega.nz/#F!wx4BiKhD!YhnAf1BqSmAB8dO6xDM56Q

First for the Ynnari, suck it Mon'keigh.

Second for Marines Malevolent.

A random number for the Changer of Ways!

shitposting this from the last thread because it ended right after i asked

why do tourney lists never spam necron warriors and never have thier two min squads in ghost arks

i thought warriors were really really good infantry and ghost arks gave them the mobility they need

>are they actually not good or is it just the super super high level tourney meta that makes other options better?

one for the Omnissiah

has anyone ever tried any photoluminescent paint on their minis? I was thinking about giving the necrons some of it.

massed S6 shooting

IT'S A SIGN

The Omnissah isn't pleased with anything you just vomited in to that post.

cheap place I can get the rules and codexes?

It's because the ITC is not warhammer 40k. There are quite a few changes to the rules. Warrior are very very good if you do them properly. The ITC's retarded playstyle discourages their use however, and because the ITC is kinda insular they all end up hopping on the same bandwagons and then touting them as the only way to do things.

From my experience warriors are good at objective holding, surviving, and gunning down most things that come within their threat range, but should any dedicated melee survive their overwatch they're almost guaranteed to be swept unless you roll REALLY well with reanimation.

Well I guess I'll just have to burn some incense, chant litanies and beg for forgiveness

Reposting from the previous thread in hopes to get someone to look into it.

Want to play a co-op game against a Tyranid swarm with a friend in Tabletop Simulator. Neither of us played Tyranids before so I tossed this together.

Our lists will either be 1500 or 1850 points and I was thinking of giving both Hive Tyrants a Warlord trait and making the mission objective either to survive for 4/5 turns or as an alternate win-con to kill both Hive Tyrants and expanding the Living Tide rules to also rely on either of the two being alive.

Needless to say, the Nids won't be controlled by a player.

Praise Lord Tzeentch, for he has taken the numbers of the Great Corrupter and defiled them for his own!

What auxillary complements the Kakophani best?

Working on a Rogue Trader campaign. If two dynasties were trying to claim the same planet, what are some reasons that would prevent an all-out war between them? I'm thinking something like an ancient treaty.

Rate please

1850 Splinters of Chaos (name WIP)
The Purge Detachment (Vraks Renegades and Heretics) [Primary Detachment]
HQ
Renegade Command Squad: 1x Arch Demagogue (Ordnance Tyrant, Devotion of Nurgle), 2x Disciples (lasguns), 1x Disciple Autocannon Team

Elites
Renegade Strike Battery: 2x Renegade Wyverns, 2 heavy flamers
Renegade Strike Battery: 2x Renegade Wyverns, 2 heavy flamers

Troops
20x Plague Zombie Mob
21x Plague Zombie Mob

Heavy Support
Renegade Rapier Laser Destroyer Battery: 3x Rapiers, 6x crew, weapons training

Fortification
Aegis Defense Line, quad gun

Combined Arms Detachment (Chaos Daemons; Heralds of Anarchic)
HQ
Herald of Tzeentch, Paradox Psyker, ML3
Herald of Tzeentch, Endless Grimoire Psyker, ML1
7X Herald of Tzeentch, ML1

Allied Detachment (Chaos Space Marines)
HQ
Sorcerer, master level 3, bolt pistol, force sword

Troops
5x Chaos Space Marines, plasma gun
Rhino, dozerblades, death of kasyr lutein

Heavy Support
Fire Raptor, 2 reaper autocannon batteries, 4 balefire missiles

I tried some on my Tyranids for the eyes. It doesn't go on very well, and it's hard to notice the effect a lot of the time.

What's this, guys?

>local tourney meta is semi competitive
>to reduce cheeselords the shop owner puts some restrictions in place
>3/5ths of your army must be a CAD
>2/5ths may be a detachment of any other kind allied/formation/2nd CAD OR a LoW
>so no decurions, no double demicompany, no knight armies, keeps it kinda casual while still letting people bring thier A game, but here the kicker
>if a formation or detachment also fits the perimeters of a CAD it can count as your primary detachment
>so this literally goes back to square one, as long as your ultra cheese army doesnt have more than 2 HQs, 3 HS etc youre good to go
>im sure you can think of tons of mega broken armies that fit under a CAD as well
>shop owner says its to let armies like AdMech be able to play
>i try to explain but he doesnt understand
>this is what happens when someone who never plays 40k organizes a tourney
>people are going to start catching on and run off everyone but the most high tier players
should i just bring a broken as fuck necron army or a castellans of the imperium army and sweep the tourney to prove that this clause is broken before it gets out of hand? theres a couple massive cheese lords who are very WAAC who will take advantage of this in an instant once they find out about this change.

>or is everyone just skrubs who should git gud and stop trying to balance 40k?

crush the tourney

even with a basically rerollable 4+ against scat and a resistance to grav they still arent good?

Thought that was a swastika by glancing over it.

It's a hatch of some description, the central cog turns and unlocks the 3 bolts around the edge.

i guess its cause ive never been to a real tournament, ill probably realize its just not the same 40k played at my LGS's friendly tournys when i start heading to them in 6 months

>in before ITC hate derails the thread tho

It's a retarded way of moving the top cog side to side, moving the bottom cog.
They're pistons essentially.

i'm trying out a few iterations of a thousand sons army
any tips how i should modify it?

What broken Castellans list are you considering?

Most I put together with that detachment so far was a dumb "respawning Land Raiders" list for my Black Templars.

Sorcerer needs a familiar.

Oh that sucks, I was hoping to make all their green detailing really glow

Duardin or Ad Mech, but looks more fantasy to me.

Give your Exalted Sorc Seer's Bane so you can actually do shit.

To the brother initiate from last thread who is starting a Templar army, let me add a few more tips. Always try to take one or more vindicators if you plan on fielding land raiders. At 125 pts vindicators are one of the best investments a Templar can make. It will put a huge target on the field that your opponent will want to deal with, if they ignore it you get a huge gun, if they focus it you only paid 125 pts, so it's win win. If you're like me you will want to field a huge mob of crusaders and sing biblical hyms as they March into battle, but if you want them to actually get into battle you need to take other things that will distract opponents, storm talons are another great unit for this, and drop podding iron clad dreads with two heavy flamers if you're playing xenos that fielded infantry out of tanks (this is particularly effective agaisnt tau gun lines). And always remember that when things look grim and you are questioning your next move, the answer is always move forward and pray. The emperor will protect you by cursing your opponents dice rolls.

How'd I do, /teej/?

>Elder Butt Pirates (1850 pts)

Corsair Prince (Jetpack, Reaper of the Outer Dark, Rage)

2x Coterie
-Sky Burners
-Baron (Jetpack, Shimmershield, Rage)
-3x Corsair Reaver Band (Jetpack, 5x Pistols, 1x Lasblaster, 4x Blaster, Rage)

Coterie
-Sky Burners
-Baron (Jetpack, Shimmershield, Rage)
-2x Corsair Reaver Band (Jetpack, 5x Pistols, 1x Lasblaster, 4x Blaster, Rage)
-Corsair Balestrike Band (2x Lasblaster, 3x Splinter Cannon)

Strategy is to Deep Strike in, kill anything with lots of AP4 shooting, and then use the 7-12" thrust move to spread out from templates. If they bubblewrap everything worth shooting at I'll just jump around and capture objectives.

I also want to know this, I don't want to shell out my sheckles for a new codex.

In addition, I'd make the CSM Word Bearers and take one of their psyker support relics. Maybe even do the Nurgle Palanquin summoner thing.

Sorcerer needs familiar also choose a legion like word bearers and summon on 3+

Inside (except everyone mounts it the wrong way) of the rear hatch of a new Admech transport.

Yeah you're right, the plasma gun didn't belong in the formation anyway.

Rubrics need a Rhino.

Give the Exalted the Seer's Bane or drop him down to a Regular Sorcerer.

Omnissiah be praised, I sure hope so

Do this: He will never learn if you don't.

like i said our meta is pretty casual
im pretty sure a well run list of wyvern spam,respawning scouts and vets in chimeras, and maybe a grav dev deathstar with the hunters eye or something like that, all with obsec from coteaz, will just rip everyone apart and take the WAACfag eldar player who always gets top 3 off guard

its honestly not hard to make a broken list with the CotI especially when everyone else is so restricted, or thinks they are

CAD only doesn't really make the balance any better, it just shifts what's the new utterly broken bullshit. Daemons and Eldar both can go full cheddar and stick to a CAD, and there will still be a wide variety of Imperial superfriends deathstars viable under those restrictions.

Unless you're willing to go full hog and start imposing unit/formation datasheet alterations, don't bother with any comp shit. Just tell people that it's not supposed to be super WAAC and let the community self-police.

FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY LET IT BE SO!

Palanquin summoner?
Thanks alot guys, sound advice.

Really? what kind of changes does ITC have that are so groundbreaking?

The Palanquin gives the summoner a bunch of extra wounds to just tank all the Perils he'll be suffering.

I would certainly love for this to be true.

That bit is clearly supposed to be on the outside. If it was inside you wouldn't need the gears, you'd just need a single handle.

why is a seers bane so important on an exalted sorcerer?
i didn't think i want to go into close combat as the sons

It doesn't really make any major changes, he's just one of the inexplicably ass-pained anti-ITC shills.

Warriors are slow, don't have that good of firepower, and can wither in the assault phase. Sure, they're durable, but that doesn't do much good when ObSec Jetbikes and Rhinos can just grab any objectives they need from underneath your feet.

a door xD

here's a list i threw together in fucking seconds, its your standard run of the mill necron rape list at 1700 for the upccoming tourney, and it totally fits a CAD

i really have no doubt this would just fucking crush everyone because people are bringing such unoptomized lists since they are restricted by the 3/5ths rule, theres like one eldar player who just spams skat and D and people who try and bring skyhammer and wolfstars, but i really just dont think any of them could stand up to a well run standard decurion, adn with this loophole i could bring it and stomp

i really might because theres 2-3 faggots who try and push the restrictions as hard as they can and care about nothing but winning and taking money home, theyve already run new people off and i know they would jump at the oppertunity to bring more cheese even though they get top scores every tourney already

i jsut want to set an example for why this needs to change

If you aren't going into CC, don't bother with the Exalted. The one-use blast isn't worth the sixty points, and the stat upgrades aren't much good outside melee. If you're going into melee, the Seer's Bane is great. An average 3.5 additional attacks, ID anything below T5 and below without Force, and wound on a 4+ at worst and usually a 3+ or 2+? Seer's Bane is absolutely amazing.

And you just park it backline, next to the Kasyr rhino?

woops too many FA, guess ill just bring the destroyer cult as my second detachment, so dumb

ah ok thanks i modified the list a bit is that better?

Seer's bane is S2 Demonic Force weapon that uses your and enemy ID instead of S and T. That means that you wound at at least 4, and usually 3s and 2s. You also insta-kill everything that has T5 or lower.

Fun stars one you get Biomancy, Sinistrum, Telepathy and start buffing your Sorc into absolute melee beast that can rip entire squads apart with ease.

Much appreciated. Playing around with some ideas in the roster creator just to see if I can get something good going. Definitely liking the idea of a couple of Vindicators!

They handle objectives differently, which in and of itself is a huge change, and they faq'ed the hell out of a bunch of rules. They actively turn over or refute existing rules to suit their whims.

Wasup ITC shill? Played any actual games with the actual rules, or are you just doing their shit scenarios?

ghost arks aren't dedicated transports?

You could, but with the Spell Familiar he can safely truck upfield with the Zombies.

That said, a CSM Sorcerer has access to some great support disciplines, and the Heralds provide plenty of summoning. Having him go Undivided for maximum dice on Telepathy or Biomancy or Heretech or Sinistrum might often be the better option.

thanks for the explanation
my next question would have been what disciplines to use as i'm stumped which to use

Nice

Better.

How set are you on the Tzaangor? Unfortunately, they're pretty crappy. Allied Daemons are much, much better.

Let's list some ways we can buff
>Dark Eldar
>Tyranids
>Orks

massed s6 and d

Question, I'm trying to shamelessly WAAC Celestine as hard as I can and needed some input from others. Can I do the following?

>add her to a vanguard unit under the formation that allows them to show up when I want turn 1/2 + charge out of deepstrike
>if so would the entire unit get hit and run or just her
>can I stack her orbital strike with my chapter masters using the barrage rule
>if so do they have to be next to each other or can they do this from anywhere that either of them can see
My plan is to put chapter master in a land raider with a solid melee unit and use celestine to harass and tie up enemy shooting units, and possibly even take out enemy armour with her armourbane sword.

Also, what is THE most WAAC way to use her? I'm talking eldar tier WAAC, I want people to be physically upset with me.

i'm not really set on the tzaangors and i'm thinking about getting the start collecting tzeentch demons box
but i don't know if it is any good to take them as i have far less bodies on the board

they are i'm just retarded and dont know how to set something as a DT in this listbuilder

On another note how do you guys feel about destroyer cult and canoptic harvest? I'm still fleshing out my necrons and i cant tell which to do over the other for my decurion.

give back nids all their cool biomorph options, make synapse less of a crutch that you have to rely on and more of a buff.

>if a formation or detachment also fits the perimeters of a CAD it can count as your primary detachment
Wait, doesn't a Gladius Battle Company fit in a standard CAD?

Really depends on what are you facing. Heretech is surprisingly good since most lists will run at least some vehicles, and you can go all out on it if they have a lot of them. Divination allows you to buff your shooty units, Telepathy for Shriek and Invisibility cheese and so on.

On Exalted, just pick something that lets him buff himself, so mostly ones i listed earlier.

So where the fuck do i put the Dark Apostle in a Alpha Legion Lost and Damned formation? He needs to be close to buff them, but cannot join them because he does not have Infiltrate. What am i supposed to do?

I bet you put your Russ hatches on upside down.

don't be a prick man

Literally only the part with Hit and Run is legal and possible

If you want the Burning Chariot because you like the model, get the Start Collecting. Otherwise, I'd just get a bunch of Horrors boxes.

Tzaangors are fragile and mediocre at best in combat. Horrors are much more durable and provide all important Warp Charge. Once you've got the models, you can start summoning them back as they die to keep your numbers up.

ok thanks i will try that
i think i will get the hang of what suits me best wehen i get my army an have played a few games

It is too late brother. I won't sit idle while the xenos table us without effort, I will take the fight to then and do what must be done

Field whatever the fuck you want, I can't dp anything about it, but 40k is about making the game as much fun for the opponent as it is to you

Don't be that guy

So she gives hit and run to whatever unit she joins? That is good to know

Give him a bike/jump pack/mind veil.

>add her to a vanguard unit under the formation that allows them to show up when I want turn 1/2 + charge out of deepstrike
I'm pretty sure they lose that bonus if someone from outside the formation joins them. There was a FAQ about it.
>if so would the entire unit get hit and run or just her
The entire unit should already have hit and run from jump packs, but only one model needs it
>can I stack her orbital strike with my chapter masters using the barrage rule
Barrage just lets you fire without LoS, right?
>if so do they have to be next to each other or can they do this from anywhere that either of them can see
They wouldn't have to see it and the range on orbital strikes is unlimited.

i think i'll get the start collecting with a few extra horrors (pink and blue for the splits after death)
so i have choice and can start a demon army if i want to
just question shall i use one sorceror of the sons for summoning or just the herald as he can't peril that easily?

>>add her to a vanguard unit under the formation that allows them to
show up when I want turn 1/2 + charge out of deepstrike
no, she's not part of the formation parameters so she can't be taken

>>if so would the entire unit get hit and run or just her
celestine confers H&R to any unit she joins

>>can I stack her orbital strike with my chapter masters using the barrage rule
what? no? they're separate shooting attacks you retard

>>if so do they have to be next to each other or can they do this from anywhere that either of them can see
no, read your fucking rulebook

>My plan is to put chapter master in a land raider with a solid melee unit and use celestine to harass and tie up enemy shooting units, and possibly even take out enemy armour with her armourbane sword.
you can't orbital strike out of a land raider, no firing ports

Do not speak to me of ethics and sportsmanship, I have battled the WAAC faggots of the craftworlds, I have felt their wrath. There is no other way, for years I put fluff and fun ahead of winning, if you won't help me beat them then stay out my way

If you want the truth, just google the ITC FAQ and their scenarios. Most of their changes are minor OR are things that very clearly make for a better game (like the Geomancy changes). You aren't going to get anything even remotely approaching the truth out of shitposters like .

yeah it does, pretty much every really really competitive list does

for everything else you can just throw in the other 2/5ths

something i dont understand is why people think they can just build a list using a bunch of OP pieces they read about online and just start winning games like its flipping a switch

every local meta is different, and if you dont know how to run your army you wont beat anyone, or if youre just a bad player

>theres a WAACfag everyone at my LGS doesnt like who just netlists a wolfstar list, he utterly rapes any new blood, but the old guard pretty much never looses to him because he doesnt know how to run his own list very well

>also if this is just b8 then nice one, you got a lot of us

>possibly even take out enemy armour with her armourbane sword.
She can never explode anything that's not open top and fails to pen a Rhino >40% of the time.

Isn't barrage the thing that let's you flip blasts and focus them off one roll? Indirect fire is what let's you shoot with LoS

That's why I asked the questions. Thank you for clarifying

All models with H&R confer the rule to everyone in their unit. It's explicitly stated in the USR.

Cant have the same coterie benefit between groups. Needs to be different to be legal.

Excellent, ty

I play Guardian Battlehost Eldar/Dark Eldar allies. I lose a shit ton, but I win some too. Don't become the thing you hate.