>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>5etools
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

Previous thread: ITT we come up with classes, archetypes and feats that should be in the next splatbook. I'll start.
Feat that makes throwing weapons viable.

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1XovWm65MSmIzQWSMDMXo0_aIpZgq9YSa2KkpO3kThS4/edit#
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Am I reading this right? Did they make a Ranger archetype that lets you become a treeant?

Yup.

Super Duper noob here who usually only comes to Veeky Forums for mtg threads. I just moved into an apartment with some friends who all have shown interest in playing dnd and I've played a little but a really long time ago and they want me to dm. What are the must download pdf's in the mega trove that i need to learn even how to begin to learn this game/

Player's Handbook is a good start to actually learn the rules. DMG continues information and advice for DM - how to build encounters and what not. Monster Manual contains monsters.

Don't fall for the "I'll come up with my own campaign right now!" meme. Start with an official adventure.
Lost Mines of Phandelver is a good start. It's also in the mega.

Player's Handbook and Monster Manual are NEEDS. They show how to make characters and what monsters you can put against them.

The DMG is slightly less necessary, as it teaches you good habits and specific rules.

Basically that is it. If you need a setting, the Sword Coast Adventurer's guide is full of lore for a place called The Forgotten Realms.

That's it, the rest is dice pencils and papers

so if you become large sized at will, that means you can wield a large sized longbow

what would the damage of that be?

basically im imaging something like this as your character, but more leafy

DMing is going to take A LOT of time. Keep that in mind as you proceed. I'd start with LMOP, because it's basically for new DMs who don't know what the fuck they're doing. You probably want to read the DMG and the Player's Handbook.

The only other thing you'll want is the Monster Manual, which you'll mostly use as a reference for monster statistics as they show up. It has a lot of neat 'lore' on the monsters too that you could use for inspiration one day when you stop using official entries.

What's the relationship between warlocks and other magic users in your setting?

Weapon sizes are not a thing in 5e.

+1d4 damage right?

I'd get a melee weapon too though, just because it's hard to move. Or you should pair up with a Wizard with Dimension door prepared. He can sit in your branches and teleport you out of dodge while you go ham with your bow.

Monster stats seem to show it doubles dice. D8 to 2d8. But the enlarge spell says d4 additional damage.

As a DM you might get the d4 if I like your character.

Thanks a bunch my dudes

dont worry im defiantly not THAT ambitious yet

They have double damage dice.

Every kind of magic user looks down on other magic users.
Wizards are snooty nerds, Sorcerors got lucky, Paladins, Clerics, and Warlocks are know-nothing children who got handed their power for coloring inside the lines, etc. etc.

Generally pretty mixed. In some places, they're recognised as Clergy and are treated with respect by Divine Casters, but in other places/certain patrons they're hunted down by the Clerics and Paladins.
Fey and GOO locks are treated by Druids and Rangers as OK as default, as long as they don't begin attacking nature they're cool. Fiendlocks usually have to prove themselves trustworthy, though there one or two Eco-Terrorist demons in my setting that the druids would like.
Sorcerers and Wizards, being incredibly rare, don't really have an unified opinion.

I actually got in good with a group of Druids because early on, for flavor, I chose to make my Fiend Patron Zuggtmoy, and they were cool with our mutual understanding of the cycle of death, rot, and growth.

Nah, Paladins and Clerics are (literally) holier-than-thou assholes and Warlocks are the law grads to Wizards' science grads

When a weapon is artificially enlarged via the Enlarge spell, it's +1d4 additional damage.

When a weapon was made at that size, it's damage die changes. That's why a Fire Giants' Greatsword does 6d6 damage.

You double the die damage for a Large-sized creature's weapon, triple it for Giant-sized, and quadruple it for Gargantuan-sized.

Reposting this from last thread, as I didn't see it was in auto-sage mode and am looking for advise.

One of my players asked about if they could get ahold of a Greatbow, and I told them maybe, mainly to buy me time to think it over.

I want to give it to them, but now I'm left wondering how to design a greatbow for 5th edition. So far this is what I'm thinking:

Greatbow, cost - 65g

Damage - 1d12 piercing

Weight - 10 lbs.

Properties - Ammunition (range 200/800), Heavy, Two-Handed, Special

Special: When performing an attack with this weapon, you use your STR modifier instead of your DEX modifier, as it requires intense upper body strength to properly aim and fire from this weapon. In addition, attacks made with this weapon while on a mount are at disadvantage, as the unstable gait of the creature throws you off balance to properly aim the arrow.

Since it doesn't mention that your weapon damage changes, as it does in the Enlarge/Reduce spell, the only conclusion I can draw is that it doesn't change at all.

The way you design a greatbow for 5e is to just make it a longbow. Wacky exotic weapons with unique rules are a thing of previous editions; this is the edition of refluffing ordinary weapons if you really need to be a special snowflake.

I'm asking because the person in question just wants an option for a long-range attack to use against fleeing enemies, and they are playing the tanky frontliner in plate who dumped DEX because he didn't think he'd need it because Heavy Armor.

I'm not saying he is going to get it for free; he'd have to find a blacksmith skilled enough to make it, then train to use it.

Official sources/AL legal

Fuckin everything

The problem with that though is there is precedent in 5e for weapon die changing based on size.

Pic related, page 278 of the DMG, when referring to a DM making monsters for the PCs to fight.

There's already a Strength-based ranged weapon. It's called a javelin.

[5e] Does anyone have experience with the Noble(Knight) background?

I understand the servant and groom are non-combatants, but can the Squire fight? Can they all serve as lookouts? Can they construct fortifications? etc.

You can't assume that every rule of thumb for designing monsters also applies to PCs. Monsters and PCs are built completely differently.

I'd rule that any of them can fight if they have no other option but none of them are any good. The squire is explicitly worse than the knight at the back of the MM, because he hasn't gotten as good as a real knight yet. He doesn't gain experience or levels in PC classes, and if he does improve in ability at all, he'll expect to be knighted and leave your service. If he doesn't get that, he'll abandon you to be knighted by someone more sensible.

Not that guy, but the main problem I have is that you're saying STR somehow improves your accuracy at range.
Maybe use STR just for damage?

Servant and groom would use commoner stats for sure, squire I'd use something like a guard or whatever other super-low CR martials there are

Blacksmiths don't make bows; bowyers make bows.

And yeah, as user said, he'd be better off with a thrown weapon anyway.

Party was TPK except the guy that was not there for the session

New campaign or does last guy go investigate his friends fate after recruiting new players?

Guy gets stabbed in the neck

Does combat start before or after the attack lands

Depends.
Did they have any kind of interesting goal or mission?
Does the guy WANT to play the same character?

Combat starts the moment someone wants to attack. Roll initiative, everyone that isn't aware that the guy is going to get stabbed is surprised.

Combat starts after the attack roll is resolved. Attack, does it hit, do damage. Combat starts. It's the surprise round really.

Roll initiatives, perception to see if the guy sees it coming
If he doesn't then combat starts with him being surprised

Who or what does he get stabbed in the neck by?

>It's the surprise round really.
There is no surprise round. Really.

Surprise round doesn't exist this edition - it's practically semantics, but you have a regular round with (one or more) surprised combatants instead.

Do 5th edition Drow have normal looking eyes or monochromatic eyes?

They're not normal because the irises are usually red or sometimes purple, but yeah, they still have normal pupils and scleras.

Combat starts immediately when someone says "I want to attack.", roll initiative.

Then determine if they saw the attack coming to see if the guy being attacked is suprised. Remember, a player saying "Fuck this, I stab him in the neck." when trying to make a deal with a bandit is not suprising, as the bandit would have time to react to the threat once the guy reaches for his weapon. It would be a simple rolling of initative that could easily and reasonably end with the result of the bandit going first, striking him with a shortsword and moving back away before the "Neckstabber" gets his turn, a simple factor of being too slow or obvious reaching for his weapon and the bandit being faster on the quickdraw.

Leave a link in the previous thread next time jackass

To the user who helped design the druid cave temple with tidal changes, at the end of last thread:

That sounded really good. Would you mind helping me with a puzzle fight I'm trying to craft?

Players are level 8 (champion fighter, diviner wizard, moon druid, deep stalker ranger and devotion paladin) and have a decent number of powerful magic items, going to fight a Mummy Lord and a few mummies in its lair. Difference here is this Mummy Lord is neutral rather than evil, and he used to be an archmage very interested in divination.

Before dying, the archmage foresaw a great catastrophe befalling the world, but also that the group of heroes who could prevent it would come to his tomb, so he wants to test the party's strength and cunning before offering his help. To that end, he won't actively try to kill them, but if they die they weren't going to be those heroes anyway.

I'm having trouble with the puzzle side, though. The center of the lair is a wide pyramid-shaped chamber with a mini labyrinth of walls of stone, and I want it to have something on each corner connected to something at the top of the room that they have to disable or something like that. Any suggestions?

The Squire can fight, using the statlines I imagine for Guard.

He would not however, follow the party anywhere dangerous, such as into a dungeon or bandit camp. He would at most sit and hold the cart while the party delves. He can take watch on perception during the night, but odds are if there is any combat breaking out he would retreat to the sidelines and not take part in actual combat, leaving the skilled adveturers to do the job.

He may take part in narrative combat, such as once the campside ambush is finished, the GM could say "As the fight ends, your loyal squire finishes off one of the goblins trying to harass your horses and sending the other one fleeing into the woods." Ultimately it is up to your GM, but he should never really roll iniatitive.

If he does, or the party insist on taking him into the dungeon he would be welcome and rightful to say "Hold on, you guys just looted hundreds of gold worth of treasure and I risked my life too you know, where is my cut? I want at least 200gp share same as you all got."

Is it possible to a Drow to have gray eyes?

What kind of actual baby needs this much spoonfeeding?

It's just convenient, mang.

Combat starts the moment somebody wants to attack. He only gets the first attack if he
A) Wins the initiative
B) Surprises his opponent

Looks like it by the artwork in the PHB. It's got loads of drow images throughout for some reason (bard, cleric, druid, rogue, and more).

Are there any existing Zork universe Adventure Books for 5e?

First off, this seems like the perfect chance to both challenge, and reward the Diviner Wizard. He has two Portent Dice? The Mummy has 5 Portent Dice. As soon as the Diviner attempts to use his ability, the Mummy slips in and uses one of his dice instead. The Diviner looks forward in the timeline, forseeing the true path but as he does so, he can see the Mummy watching as intently as he, handwaiving the future to his own design. Then each time have the Diviner be the only one who can catch glimpses of what could be, but the Mummy changes it for the worse, or possibly on one occasion, the better, a good chance to foreshadow that the Mummy isn't entirely out to get the party.

He rewards the Diviner at the end of the dungeon with a gold inlaid mirror, a scrying focus as soon he will be able to cast scrying, and an Amulet of shielding that when attuned, grants the user an extra Portent dice. Even more flavour for later in the campaign you can have the party and wizard attacked by a creature or caster or simply catastophe that inflicts a large amount of force damage, one that the Mummy foresaw.

Let me come up with a few more ideas for a moment.

Yeah.

Alright so assuming nothing changes when I transform, what if I have a large greatsword made for me? Is there anything stopping me from lugging a giant sword all day?

Redpill me on the latest two Unearthed Arcanas

Acquisitions Inc. upload when?

Is this a reference to that Dead Alewives sketch?

Days ago.

This actually kinda came up in my last game.

The duel-wield assassin ranger wanted to cast Hunters Mark on a dragon while the rest of the party talked to it and he hid around a corner.

The plan was to distract it and he casts the spell then surprise criticals with three Hunter's Mark attacks and Bugbear damage. We got into an argument over weather he could cast the spell out of combat and then duel-wield attack on the surprise round though.

No, I made a Drow Rogue as my first character I'm confused on what her eyes should look like. Thank you for reminding me of that sketch though.

I'm totally going to do this now. Recurring goblin npc, who eventually obtains class levels.
>a sinister bell tolls
>[goblin name] the undying has invaded your world

>DMing for first time
>Druid player likes to entangle enemies then spray poison in their restrained faces
> Calls himself the Human Holocaust
So far, so good

Kinda want to homebrew shotguns (or shotbows) for my Western setting. I'd like them to hit two targets at once but not be hideously overpowered when focusing on a single target.

I was thinking making the reload on them take a bonus action like the Gunsmith's thunder cannon, but when you're talking about a general-use weapon for every class it really benefits single attack classes and those with no use for bonus actions over dedicated martials who should be the superior (short)-ranged combatants. What do?

Spread is linked to number of attacks.

>He has two Portent Dice? The Mummy has 5 Portent Dice.
Oh man I love this already. I think just to make sure the diviner will still have portents to use, I could add the mirror in the center of the pyramid, and if she uses an action to gaze into it, she regains one use of Portent, immediately rolled. Obviously, after the mirror is removed from its place, it loses that property.

Actually, one of the rewards I had prepared was basically the Mummy would give her a lead to where she could find an item blessed by Mystra, later in the campaign (A legendary white Robe of the Archmagi), inside a mirror.

>Restrained gives you advantage on attack rolls against them and they have disadvantage on Dex
>attacking with a Con save cantrip
i mean, i know it's d12, but Con isn't exactly a weak stat or save for a lot of creatures

So, once you've got Extra Attack, each hit can splash to an additional target? Essentially, only EA martials (and Valor Bards but they're faggots) are skilled enough to blast two guys, twice.

Giant Scorpions, Flying or Poisonus Snakes, Swarms of Poisonus Snakes, Swarms of Insects and Gaint Wolf spiders are great encounter monsters.

A Blue Dragon Wyrmlings, Tlingcalli or Basilisks can make great bruiser monsters that can threaten the party but might still be in the employ of a powerful Mummy Lord mage.

Sandstone Gargoyles, Dust Mephits are always cool. Can't have a maze without a Minotaur being involved some how, I love the thought of one clad in ornate golden bangles and amulets. Skeletal minotaurs also work, might be a good chance to show off the Mummy using his portent to prevent the Minotaur from dying as it is a loyal servant. Or just use skeletal minotau that keeps reassembling after a miniute or so they have to avoid rather than just destroy.

Spells like wall of sand in a tight corridor can be very potent, blinding and drastically slowing the party. Spells like Maelstrom can easily be fluffed as swirling vortex of sand and the Mummy lord can be casting these from above to make mundane encounters troublesome.

Perhaps the maze is covered in a raging sandstorm that you catch glimpses of a crystal above, and occasionally the Mummy lord lounging on a flying carpet. The items in the corner are methods that may allow them to ascend to the top past the sand and they are looking for a way to reach. You can easily bait-and-switch, several ornate rugs carefully stored in the corner alcove with magical hieroglyphsto perhaps tease these as flying carpets when they are rugs of smothering.

An area that the sandstorm above grows thick and blots out the light would be a good chance for the Ranger to shine, using his ability to avoid darkvision to bypass some of the creatures solo to fetch an item. An area that seems to favour snakes can give the druid a moment to shine, being able to shift into one himself and perhaps get somewhere the others can't. Fighter and Paladin really just need something to fight or a puzzle that requires their strength.

upload? i know it streamed a view days ago but has it been uploaded anywhere? it's not on the DnD youtube channel

>Shadow Monk Fighter with a Large-sized Greataxe
>teleport with your bonus action every turn to get advantage on your first attack, cancelling out your disadvantage
>2d12
>turn that into a stunning blow and follow up with your second attack, also without disadvantage now

Alternatively,
>anything with Shield Master wielding a Large-sized one-handed weapon
>nothing says a Large longsword is two-handed
>knock everyone down first with your bash and 2d8s all day

Bonus points: When she looks into the mirror, she can see herself smile, nod knowingly and reach to take the mirror.

Is there any spell component pouch equivalent like in 3.5?

or will i need to actually gather all that shit to use even the most basic of spells and cantrips?

I can't seem to find one.

Yeah, you need that bat guano

>Half Orc Barbarian wielding a Large-Sized Greataxe.
>Reckless every day.
>2d12, critting for 5d12.

>Half-Orc Paladin of Vengeance weilding a normal weapon.
>Vow of Emnity
>Draw your Large-sized Great Axe and then smite-and-cleave for huge hits.

>Be TWFighter with Mounted Combat feat.
>Ride a steed.
>Dual wield Large Lances for 2d12 damage.

Anons? I could really use a hand.

As an aspiring homebrewer, one of the races on my radar recently was the Saurian Shifter. Introduced in Dragon Magazine #328, these were basically watered-down were-dinosaurs. Now, call me immature if you must, but I think that this is actually a pretty awesome idea, especially after reading about the Ka-Tainted (sorcerously created dino-men) of Mystara's Hollow World in Dragon Magazine #315. Now, here's the thing... back in 3.5, Saurian Shifters could pick two "Shifting Aspects" and put them together in order to make their Shifter. In 5e, the vanilla Shifter only gets 1 "Shifter Aspect" at all, treating them as subraces.

Thing is, the Eberron Update races are... well, frankly rather bland and underpowered. The 3.5 Saurian Shifter traits have some ideas, but are mostly retreads of the Shifter. Heck, even the Ka-Tainted at least had some variable abilities depending on whether you used a Pleisiosaur, Tyrannosaur, Raptor or Triceratops in the ritual.

So, I'm really torn between which way to do things. Just straight up adapt the 3.5 version the same way that the Eberron Update did? Or get more creative?

Ultimately, I decided to give both versions a shot and see what people thought was the better version. So... yeah, feedback, please? I desperately need a hand.

Due to sheer size, follow the link below - this'd never be postable here on Veeky Forums.
docs.google.com/document/d/1XovWm65MSmIzQWSMDMXo0_aIpZgq9YSa2KkpO3kThS4/edit#

You can start with either a component pouch or focus to take the place of any material components that have no price and aren't consumed. There's no difference between them but flavor.

You need a free hand to use them, which can be the same hand you're using for any somatic components.

>Half-Orc Barbarian Two Weapon Fighter with Mounted Combat
>something hits his horse and he's 100% useless

okay then. So as long as there's no actual cost to it, a focus or components pouch covers it.

Thats all i needed. thank you.

So if a player goes to assassinate a completely oblivious character - and that character rolls higher initiative without being aware of the players presence, he is no longer surprised since he had his turn first and is no longer "surprised"

no, the assassin gets a surprise round signifying the time before initiative.

A surprise round is just a first round with a debuff on characters who failed perception. The surprised status wears off at the end of its first turn.

This guy. The enemy isn't surprised until something happens unless through other means. The character is unaware, the assassin attacks, that is the surprise round then roll initiative.

If not in combat yet and a player's says "I attack X", we resolve the action. Then roll initiatives.

Hey /5eg/, I need ideas for a fighter with the knight background.

He is a knight who serves the king loyally

Next

>Something hits his horse, it hits him instead thanks to mounted combat.

He was just an average insurance salesman from Kearney, Nebraska, when he entered a vardo at a gypsy carnival and had his fortune read by the old woman there. Later that night, while returning to his home, he came across a glowing light in a field and was inexorably drawn to it. Stepping through, he found himself transported to a mystical land of knights and orcs whereupon some faggot in purple robes threw a sword at him and told him he must essentially become Jesus.

How s it possible that so many of you still get this wrong after all the times it has been covered?

Please give me a straight answer.

>Working on custom campaign
>Players ask if they can make characters based on Unearthed Arcana
>Tell them they can
>Tell potential fifth player that I'm working on a campaign that'll allow Unearthed Arcana
>"Can I use my Plague Doctor build?"

Not sure what to tell him. Maybe have him look at the Alchemist Specialization of Artificer. I'm not sure if I want to deal with a complete, custom build.

see

Recently passed over for title of a Knight at the right hand of the king. Sir (Name) leaves in anger at the betrayal. He devoted his entire life to this king, where only the paladin that took "his" place came only a few years ago.

He goes out in search of the background of the man who was selected, a Paladin of the (Blank) order named (Other name), in order to come up with dirt to get the man expunged, or come up with nothing, and accept that his quick to anger demeanor and ability to hold grudges is not something the King's hand needs, allowing character arc.

60 year old with a bum leg (-5 movement, dex save when dashing to keep from falling prone). It persists through magical healing.

His squire is intent on learning the story, but he refuses to say anything about it.

Objectively incorrect.

As soon as you say "I want to attack." Initative begins. You are preparing to attack. Roll initatiive, determine suprised enemies, start the first turn of combat. There is no "Prefight." only a suprise round.

No tell him to use Artifcer

"No one in the party wants to hang out with a smelly weirdo wearing a dead kenku's face."

>>Hit his stead
>>Mounted combat
>>Pick one

it's a fireball
>yeah but he's got evasion
yeah but the horse has like 5 hp